cursor/curser

greeting

for last 48hrs my cursor has been changing from pointer to hourglass
every 3 seconds. (i timed it and am watching it right now).

i have all parasite utiilties updated and have run them all. i also have
an anti 'v' of which is current, updated & has been run.
msconfig, ctr-alt-del, start-up, all show no changes to my computer.
this started off as just being annoying and i believed it would rectify
itself after running the above including the reboots, but its still their.
any windows98 persons here know what is causing this?

Gordon Thiele
8 answers Last reply
More about cursor curser

    Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
    In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
    "Software Environment" category.
    In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
    on the right.
    Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
    right.
    Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
    Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
    paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.

    Also, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the 'Close Program' box, and post back with
    what is
    listed there when are seeing this behaviour.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
    > greeting
    >
    > for last 48hrs my cursor has been changing from pointer to hourglass
    > every 3 seconds. (i timed it and am watching it right now).
    >
    > i have all parasite utiilties updated and have run them all. i also have
    > an anti 'v' of which is current, updated & has been run.
    > msconfig, ctr-alt-del, start-up, all show no changes to my computer.
    > this started off as just being annoying and i believed it would rectify
    > itself after running the above including the reboots, but its still their.
    > any windows98 persons here know what is causing this?
    >
    > Gordon Thiele

    Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
    yProxy Startup Group E:\Downloads\yProxy\yProxy.exe
    Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL
    deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
    msnmsgr Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE"
    /background
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
    powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Go!Zilla dial-up fix Registry (Machine Run) "E:\PROGRAM
    FILES\GOZILLA\GO.EXE" /FIXRAS
    Symantec Core LC Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
    ccApp Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
    Shared\ccApp.exe"
    NAV CfgWiz Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
    Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
    TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    IntelliType Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    Tweak UI Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
    Symantec NetDriver Monitor Registry (Machine Run)
    C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE
    USTORAG Registry (Machine Run) e:\utilities\flashcard\ustorage.exe
    sys_auto_run E:\UTILITIES\FLASHCARD
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
    powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    ccEvtMgr Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
    Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
    ccSetMgr Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
    Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"

    Okay, all done.
    Ctrl-alt-del shows nothing that is out of the ordinary.

    Gordon Thiele

    > Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
    > In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to
    expand the
    > "Software Environment" category.
    > In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear
    in a list
    > on the right.
    > Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list
    on the
    > right.
    > Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
    > Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press
    Ctrl-V to
    > paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this
    thread.

    > Also, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the 'Close Program' box, and post
    back with
    > what is
    > listed there when are seeing this behaviour.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
    > > greeting
    > >
    > > for last 48hrs my cursor has been changing from pointer to hourglass
    > > every 3 seconds. (i timed it and am watching it right now).
    > >
    > > i have all parasite utiilties updated and have run them all. i also have
    > > an anti 'v' of which is current, updated & has been run.
    > > msconfig, ctr-alt-del, start-up, all show no changes to my computer.
    > > this started off as just being annoying and i believed it would rectify
    > > itself after running the above including the reboots, but its still
    their.
    > > any windows98 persons here know what is causing this?
    > >
    > > Gordon Thiele

    Once you add Symantec (Norton) products into the mix, it gets more difficult to
    determine where the disk activity is coming from. However, I assume you have had
    this same startup list for more than the 48 hours that you say this problem has been
    around; and many people use these same background apps without the behaviour you
    are seeing. Without knowing what has changed on your system 48 hours ago when this
    started happening, the best I can suggest to try to troubleshoot is to:
    1. Start in Safe Mode and see if the behaviour still occurs there.
    2. Do a clean boot and then re-enable items in small groups to determine when the
    issue disappears and reappears.

    You might also go to Start> Find> Files or Folders, select the date or span of a
    couple of days when the problem first arose, and check for files modified on that or
    those dates, as a clue to what might have happened at that time.

    How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926

    "CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune
    http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    --

    "graham" <gra@internode.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > listed there when are seeing this behaviour.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
    > > > greeting
    > > >
    > > > for last 48hrs my cursor has been changing from pointer to hourglass
    > > > every 3 seconds. (i timed it and am watching it right now).
    > > >
    > > > i have all parasite utiilties updated and have run them all. i also have
    > > > an anti 'v' of which is current, updated & has been run.
    > > > msconfig, ctr-alt-del, start-up, all show no changes to my computer.
    > > > this started off as just being annoying and i believed it would rectify
    > > > itself after running the above including the reboots, but its still
    > their.
    > > > any windows98 persons here know what is causing this?

    sorry, was on another server.

    gordon thiele

    > Once you add Symantec (Norton) products into the mix, it gets more
    difficult to
    > determine where the disk activity is coming from. However, I assume you
    have had
    > this same startup list for more than the 48 hours that you say this
    problem has been
    > around; and many people use these same background apps without the
    behaviour you
    > are seeing. Without knowing what has changed on your system 48 hours ago
    when this
    > started happening, the best I can suggest to try to troubleshoot is to:
    > 1. Start in Safe Mode and see if the behaviour still occurs there.
    > 2. Do a clean boot and then re-enable items in small groups to determine
    when the
    > issue disappears and reappears.
    >
    > You might also go to Start> Find> Files or Folders, select the date or
    span of a
    > couple of days when the problem first arose, and check for files modified
    on that or
    > those dates, as a clue to what might have happened at that time.
    >
    > How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926
    >
    > "CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune
    > http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

    Okay, I will do the 'trial and error' thing, its just such a pain to do
    things
    that way knowing the root of the problem could be elsewhere.
    I have a dual boot system and it hasnt affected the other o/s, so at least
    this breaks it down to being a windows98 problem only.
    gracious for input.

    gordon thiele

    being curtious and saying thanks.

    problem has now disappeared; not sure which
    resolve worked as i tried many, but on waking
    and including until now, the problem has gone.

    gordon thiele

    Thanks for the feedback. Too bad you can't report what worked for you, but I am
    certainly glad your problem is gone! :-)
    --

    > being curtious and saying thanks.
    >
    > problem has now disappeared; not sure which
    > resolve worked as i tried many, but on waking
    > and including until now, the problem has gone.
    >
    > gordon thiele

    > Thanks for the feedback. Too bad you can't report what worked for you,
    but I am
    > certainly glad your problem is gone! :-)
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+

    Yes, I agree.
    Could turn out to be more frustrating than the actual problem;
    nothing worse than fixing something and not knowing what you did
    that fixed it.

    gordon thiele

Cursor Microsoft Windows