cursor/curser

greeting

for last 48hrs my cursor has been changing from pointer to hourglass
every 3 seconds. (i timed it and am watching it right now).

i have all parasite utiilties updated and have run them all. i also have
an anti 'v' of which is current, updated & has been run.
msconfig, ctr-alt-del, start-up, all show no changes to my computer.
this started off as just being annoying and i believed it would rectify
itself after running the above including the reboots, but its still their.
any windows98 persons here know what is causing this?

Gordon Thiele

Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
"Software Environment" category.
In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
on the right.
Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
right.
Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.

Also, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the 'Close Program' box, and post back with
what is
listed there when are seeing this behaviour.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
> greeting
>
> for last 48hrs my cursor has been changing from pointer to hourglass
> every 3 seconds. (i timed it and am watching it right now).
>
> i have all parasite utiilties updated and have run them all. i also have
> an anti 'v' of which is current, updated & has been run.
> msconfig, ctr-alt-del, start-up, all show no changes to my computer.
> this started off as just being annoying and i believed it would rectify
> itself after running the above including the reboots, but its still their.
> any windows98 persons here know what is causing this?
>
> Gordon Thiele

graham

Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
yProxy Startup Group E:\Downloads\yProxy\yProxy.exe
Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL
deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
msnmsgr Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE"
/background
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
Go!Zilla dial-up fix Registry (Machine Run) "E:\PROGRAM
FILES\GOZILLA\GO.EXE" /FIXRAS
Symantec Core LC Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
ccApp Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccApp.exe"
NAV CfgWiz Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
IntelliType Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
Tweak UI Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
Symantec NetDriver Monitor Registry (Machine Run)
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE
USTORAG Registry (Machine Run) e:\utilities\flashcard\ustorage.exe
sys_auto_run E:\UTILITIES\FLASHCARD
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
ccEvtMgr Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
ccSetMgr Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"

Okay, all done.
Ctrl-alt-del shows nothing that is out of the ordinary.

Gordon Thiele

> Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
> In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to
expand the
> "Software Environment" category.
> In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear
in a list
> on the right.
> Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list
on the
> right.
> Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
> Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press
Ctrl-V to
> paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this
thread.

> Also, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the 'Close Program' box, and post
back with
> what is
> listed there when are seeing this behaviour.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
> > greeting
> >
> > for last 48hrs my cursor has been changing from pointer to hourglass
> > every 3 seconds. (i timed it and am watching it right now).
> >
> > i have all parasite utiilties updated and have run them all. i also have
> > an anti 'v' of which is current, updated & has been run.
> > msconfig, ctr-alt-del, start-up, all show no changes to my computer.
> > this started off as just being annoying and i believed it would rectify
> > itself after running the above including the reboots, but its still
their.
> > any windows98 persons here know what is causing this?
> >
> > Gordon Thiele

Once you add Symantec (Norton) products into the mix, it gets more difficult to
determine where the disk activity is coming from. However, I assume you have had
this same startup list for more than the 48 hours that you say this problem has been
around; and many people use these same background apps without the behaviour you
are seeing. Without knowing what has changed on your system 48 hours ago when this
started happening, the best I can suggest to try to troubleshoot is to:
1. Start in Safe Mode and see if the behaviour still occurs there.
2. Do a clean boot and then re-enable items in small groups to determine when the
issue disappears and reappears.

You might also go to Start> Find> Files or Folders, select the date or span of a
couple of days when the problem first arose, and check for files modified on that or
those dates, as a clue to what might have happened at that time.

How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926

"CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune
http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
--

"graham" <gra@internode.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > listed there when are seeing this behaviour.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >

> > "gordon thiele" <gord@wycot.net.com> wrote in message
> > > greeting
> > >
> > > for last 48hrs my cursor has been changing from pointer to hourglass
> > > every 3 seconds. (i timed it and am watching it right now).
> > >
> > > i have all parasite utiilties updated and have run them all. i also have
> > > an anti 'v' of which is current, updated & has been run.
> > > msconfig, ctr-alt-del, start-up, all show no changes to my computer.
> > > this started off as just being annoying and i believed it would rectify
> > > itself after running the above including the reboots, but its still
> their.
> > > any windows98 persons here know what is causing this?

sorry, was on another server.

gordon thiele

> Once you add Symantec (Norton) products into the mix, it gets more
difficult to
> determine where the disk activity is coming from. However, I assume you
have had
> this same startup list for more than the 48 hours that you say this
problem has been
> around; and many people use these same background apps without the
behaviour you
> are seeing. Without knowing what has changed on your system 48 hours ago
when this
> started happening, the best I can suggest to try to troubleshoot is to:
> 1. Start in Safe Mode and see if the behaviour still occurs there.
> 2. Do a clean boot and then re-enable items in small groups to determine
when the
> issue disappears and reappears.
>
> You might also go to Start> Find> Files or Folders, select the date or
span of a
> couple of days when the problem first arose, and check for files modified
on that or
> those dates, as a clue to what might have happened at that time.
>
> How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926
>
> "CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune
> http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

Okay, I will do the 'trial and error' thing, its just such a pain to do
things
that way knowing the root of the problem could be elsewhere.
I have a dual boot system and it hasnt affected the other o/s, so at least
this breaks it down to being a windows98 problem only.
gracious for input.

gordon thiele

being curtious and saying thanks.

problem has now disappeared; not sure which
resolve worked as i tried many, but on waking
and including until now, the problem has gone.

gordon thiele

Thanks for the feedback. Too bad you can't report what worked for you, but I am
certainly glad your problem is gone! :)
--

> being curtious and saying thanks.
>
> problem has now disappeared; not sure which
> resolve worked as i tried many, but on waking
> and including until now, the problem has gone.
>
> gordon thiele

> Thanks for the feedback. Too bad you can't report what worked for you,
but I am
> certainly glad your problem is gone! :)
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+

Yes, I agree.
Could turn out to be more frustrating than the actual problem;
nothing worse than fixing something and not knowing what you did
that fixed it.

gordon thiele