XP program files question

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 23, 2005 4:42:49 PM

I just got a new computer with WinXP on it. I want to transfer files
over a LAN to the new computer from a computer with Win98SE on it.
Everything goes OK, except I can't get to the Program Files over the LAN
from the computer with Win98SE. I get an "Access Denied" error when I
try to do that.

Does anyone know how to set up the computer with WinXP such that I can
get to Program Files over a LAN?

Thanks

Henry

More about : program files question

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 7:39:09 PM

Just copying the program files over the lan is NOT gonna cut it, they wont
work, You have to reinstall the programs to the new pc to create registry
entries, to associate filetypes, generally just make them work

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
<wa0goz@arrl.net> wrote in message news:426A8919.BDA@arrl.net...
> I just got a new computer with WinXP on it. I want to transfer files
> over a LAN to the new computer from a computer with Win98SE on it.
> Everything goes OK, except I can't get to the Program Files over the LAN
> from the computer with Win98SE. I get an "Access Denied" error when I
> try to do that.
>
> Does anyone know how to set up the computer with WinXP such that I can
> get to Program Files over a LAN?
>
> Thanks
>
> Henry
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:43:29 PM

wa0goz@arrl.net wrote:

>I just got a new computer with WinXP on it. I want to transfer files
>over a LAN to the new computer from a computer with Win98SE on it.
>Everything goes OK, except I can't get to the Program Files over the LAN
>from the computer with Win98SE. I get an "Access Denied" error when I
>try to do that.
>
>Does anyone know how to set up the computer with WinXP such that I can
>get to Program Files over a LAN?
>
>Thanks
>
>Henry

Do the copying from the Windows XP computer, and configure the entire
hard drive on the Windows 98 machine to be shared.

Note that just copying the program files folder from the Windows 98
machine will not allow you to run these programs on the Windows XP
system except for DOS apps and some 16 bit (Windows 3.1) apps.

Programs must be installed so that the needed registry entries can be
created. Also there are often files that need to be put into the
\windows folder or one of the subfolders off of it.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
April 23, 2005 10:43:30 PM

As usual I didn't make myself clear. I don't want to copy programs over
to program files. I usually have some extra collected information files
about an installed program and I just want to move these over to the XP
machine under the installed program. I know I have to re-install
programs on the XP machine.

I never tried moving the files from the Win98 machine to the XP machine
from the XP machine. I'll give that a try.

Thanks.

Henry

Ron Martell wrote:

> wa0goz@arrl.net wrote:
>
> >I just got a new computer with WinXP on it. I want to transfer files
> >over a LAN to the new computer from a computer with Win98SE on it.
> >Everything goes OK, except I can't get to the Program Files over the LAN
> >from the computer with Win98SE. I get an "Access Denied" error when I
> >try to do that.
> >
> >Does anyone know how to set up the computer with WinXP such that I can
> >get to Program Files over a LAN?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Henry
>
> Do the copying from the Windows XP computer, and configure the entire
> hard drive on the Windows 98 machine to be shared.
>
> Note that just copying the program files folder from the Windows 98
> machine will not allow you to run these programs on the Windows XP
> system except for DOS apps and some 16 bit (Windows 3.1) apps.
>
> Programs must be installed so that the needed registry entries can be
> created. Also there are often files that need to be put into the
> \windows folder or one of the subfolders off of it.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:43:30 PM

Copying in the other direction works just fine. Thanks for the tip.

Henry

Ron Martell wrote:

> wa0goz@arrl.net wrote:
>
> >I just got a new computer with WinXP on it. I want to transfer files
> >over a LAN to the new computer from a computer with Win98SE on it.
> >Everything goes OK, except I can't get to the Program Files over the LAN
> >from the computer with Win98SE. I get an "Access Denied" error when I
> >try to do that.
> >
> >Does anyone know how to set up the computer with WinXP such that I can
> >get to Program Files over a LAN?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Henry
>
> Do the copying from the Windows XP computer, and configure the entire
> hard drive on the Windows 98 machine to be shared.
>
> Note that just copying the program files folder from the Windows 98
> machine will not allow you to run these programs on the Windows XP
> system except for DOS apps and some 16 bit (Windows 3.1) apps.
>
> Programs must be installed so that the needed registry entries can be
> created. Also there are often files that need to be put into the
> \windows folder or one of the subfolders off of it.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:04:22 AM

You didn't mention how you set up the network connections between the 2
machines. If you didn't set up a user acct. with the same 98 UserName/password
on the XP machine, that could be part of, or the problem.

It also may be that the Programs folder has Administrator permissions only.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

<wa0goz@arrl.net> wrote in message news:426A8919.BDA@arrl.net...
>I just got a new computer with WinXP on it. I want to transfer files
> over a LAN to the new computer from a computer with Win98SE on it.
> Everything goes OK, except I can't get to the Program Files over the LAN
> from the computer with Win98SE. I get an "Access Denied" error when I
> try to do that.
>
> Does anyone know how to set up the computer with WinXP such that I can
> get to Program Files over a LAN?
>
> Thanks
>
> Henry
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 10:14:46 AM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:24:34 -0500, wa0goz@arrl.net wrote:

>As usual I didn't make myself clear. I don't want to copy programs over
>to program files. I usually have some extra collected information files
>about an installed program and I just want to move these over to the XP
>machine under the installed program. I know I have to re-install
>programs on the XP machine.

There are two issues here.

Firstly, if XP is running on NTFS, you may find applications are not
allowed to write to the "Program Files" subtree because they are
blocked by permissions issues. The trend has been to locate data and
settings that must be altered somewhere else, e.g. one of the
Application Data locations.

Secondly, it sounds as if you have the whole of C: write-shared. Do
not live like that, because that exposes the startup axis to malware
on any PC that can see those shares - and things being as they are
(F&PS bound to WiFi by duhfault, SP2 IP range bugs allowing wide
access to F&PS, hidden admin shares), that audience is often wider
than you'd prudently expect.

My preferred solution in such cases is to create a subtree on the new
system's HD, preferably off C:, and dump the entire contents from the
old system there via a HD-to-HD copy. I apply template discipline to
this subtree, i.e. I never alter anything in there, but copy out the
files I need to "live" liocations. Then if there's anything I ever
need, I can go back to the inviolate template to get it.

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:01:52 PM

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:24:34 -0500, wa0goz@arrl.net wrote:
>
> >As usual I didn't make myself clear. I don't want to copy programs over
> >to program files. I usually have some extra collected information files
> >about an installed program and I just want to move these over to the XP
> >machine under the installed program. I know I have to re-install
> >programs on the XP machine.
>
> There are two issues here.
>
> Firstly, if XP is running on NTFS, you may find applications are not
> allowed to write to the "Program Files" subtree because they are
> blocked by permissions issues. The trend has been to locate data and
> settings that must be altered somewhere else, e.g. one of the
> Application Data locations.
>
> Secondly, it sounds as if you have the whole of C: write-shared. Do
> not live like that, because that exposes the startup axis to malware
> on any PC that can see those shares - and things being as they are
> (F&PS bound to WiFi by duhfault, SP2 IP range bugs allowing wide
> access to F&PS, hidden admin shares), that audience is often wider
> than you'd prudently expect.
>
> My preferred solution in such cases is to create a subtree on the new
> system's HD, preferably off C:, and dump the entire contents from the
> old system there via a HD-to-HD copy. I apply template discipline to
> this subtree, i.e. I never alter anything in there, but copy out the
> files I need to "live" liocations. Then if there's anything I ever
> need, I can go back to the inviolate template to get it.
>
> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com

Thank you. I found I could transfer files to a dummy file on the XP
machine and from the dummy file to the program files on the XP machine.
I didn't know about the NTFS issue, so thanks for the insight. I have a
large enough hard drive I might just take up your suggestion of moving
the whole 98 dirve over.

Thanks again.

Henry
!