Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

"Access to the specified device, path or file is denied"

Tags:
  • Torrent
  • Devices
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 5:18:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I am getting this error when clicking on .torrents and trying to open
them.

I think it is because I uninstalled a program that I used to open them,
and now they are not associated with any program even though I
re-installed that program.

I checked Folder Options / File Types, couldnt find .torrent, but when
I try to add it I get "the extention .torrent is already in use by the
file type BitTorrent"

How do I get this working?

More about : access device path file denied

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:24:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

the file types are not in the order you expect, they are ordered by the
description alphabetically not by the filetype alphabetically, so .torrent
files will be listed under 'B' for BitTorrent file, after Address book
file(.wab) but before certificate revocation list(.crl)
Once you find it in the list you can edit the associations

or

Shift-right click a .torrent file, Choose 'open with', browse the list to
your bit torrent client, check the Always box, click OK and the torrent file
association is re-established.

the second way is usually easier
--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de
AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
Catalog of removal tools (1)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
Catalog of removal tools (2)
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
<nymphetamine@mail.com> wrote in message
news:1114287533.814731.31380@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I am getting this error when clicking on .torrents and trying to open
> them.
>
> I think it is because I uninstalled a program that I used to open them,
> and now they are not associated with any program even though I
> re-installed that program.
>
> I checked Folder Options / File Types, couldnt find .torrent, but when
> I try to add it I get "the extention .torrent is already in use by the
> file type BitTorrent"
>
> How do I get this working?
>
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:04:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

AlmostBob wrote:
> the file types are not in the order you expect, they are ordered by
the
> description alphabetically not by the filetype alphabetically, so
..torrent
> files will be listed under 'B' for BitTorrent file, after Address
book
> file(.wab) but before certificate revocation list(.crl)
> Once you find it in the list you can edit the associations
>
> or
>
> Shift-right click a .torrent file, Choose 'open with', browse the
list to
> your bit torrent client, check the Always box, click OK and the
torrent file
> association is re-established.
>
> the second way is usually easier

I checked in the file-types, it was not there, but the second method
worked, thanks! It also solved the main "Access denied" problem.

I tried the "open with" method on some other files that are currently
registered with programs I dont want to use, but that didnt work.
For example, my jpgs open with PSP8, and I when I did "open with" PSP6,
PSP8 still opened. And my docs open with WORD2000, but when I tried
"open with" Word97, WORD2000 still (tried to) open.

Do I have to uninstall the programs first before registering a new one
with a file type?
Related resources
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:42:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Both of those, PSP6 and Word 97, will have been upgraded to PSP8 and Word 2000, respectively. The old items that still appear in the OpenWith dialogue are obsolete. When you choose PSP6, for instance, entries in the Registry forward that to PSP8. Likewise, when you choose Word 97, it gets automatically rerouted to Word 2000.

There are probably ways to clean up that list, but I wouldn't bother.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

<nymphetamine@mail.com> wrote in message news:1114322677.569659.254000@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> I tried the "open with" method on some other files that are currently
> registered with programs I dont want to use, but that didnt work.
> For example, my jpgs open with PSP8, and I when I did "open with" PSP6,
> PSP8 still opened. And my docs open with WORD2000, but when I tried
> "open with" Word97, WORD2000 still (tried to) open.
>
> Do I have to uninstall the programs first before registering a new one
> with a file type?
>
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 5:31:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

<nymphetamine@mail.com> wrote in message
news:1114322677.569659.254000@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
> I tried the "open with" method on some other files that are currently
> registered with programs I dont want to use, but that didnt work.
> For example, my jpgs open with PSP8, and I when I did "open with" PSP6,
> PSP8 still opened. And my docs open with WORD2000, but when I tried
> "open with" Word97, WORD2000 still (tried to) open.
>
> Do I have to uninstall the programs first before registering a new one
> with a file type?
>
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 5:50:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

<nymphetamine@mail.com> wrote in message
news:1114322677.569659.254000@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
> I checked in the file-types, it was not there, but the second method
> worked, thanks! It also solved the main "Access denied" problem.
>
> I tried the "open with" method on some other files that are currently
> registered with programs I dont want to use, but that didnt work.
> For example, my jpgs open with PSP8, and I when I did "open with" PSP6,
> PSP8 still opened. And my docs open with WORD2000, but when I tried
> "open with" Word97, WORD2000 still (tried to) open.

Most likely these files have been converted to the newer version of the app
installed, and IIRC, you must use the converter in order to access in the '97
files. You can see if the converter is installed in '97, although nit a
guarantee, by opening Word and clicking on Tools > Options > Compatibility tab.
If the converter is not installed you can install it from the Office CD.

>
> Do I have to uninstall the programs first before registering a new one
> with a file type?
>
One thing you could try:
How to Create Multiple Associations for One File Extension
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;133217

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
Conflicts start where information lacks.
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
!