Networking

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

Greetings.
Trying to connect a Win98se with a WinME to share files/folders.
Setup is currently both machines connected to a hub which is connected to a
router which is connected to the cable modem. Both machines are accessing
the Internet ok.
Problems are

1) the Win98 Network Neighborhood is not showing any icons what-so-ever.
There is no Add Wizard or Entire Network icon. Manually using Find computer
typing in \\computername\mydocuments, and ensuring the drive & folder are
shared (without password), it does not find anything.

2) the WinME Network Neighborhood shows "Add Network Place", "Home
Networking Wizard", and "Entire Network" icons. Under Entire Network I see
the workgroup name. Under that I see the name of the two computers in that
group. One is the local machine and the other is the Win98 machine. Trying
to access the Win98 from the WinME, an error shows up stating \\Oemcomputer
is not accessible. Windows cannot find the computer or share name. Make
sure computer or share name is valid and that you are connected to the
network, and than try again.

Internet access was, and still is, working without going through the ICS
installation process. In attempt to share folders, I used the Wizard on the
WinME, said I did not wish to share Internet connection and identified the
Ethernet card being used. I then ran the setup.exe that was created by the
wizard on the Win98 machine. I made sure the sharing of files and printers
were checked on under My Network Places properties. I cannot remember if
the icons under My Network Neighborhood were there or not on the Win98
before performing this ICS process.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.
Thanks in advance!
B.rgds,
Kevin
4 answers Last reply
More about networking
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    Sounds like a configuration problem. You could spend hours going back
    and forth between both double checking everything. Instead why don't
    you visit Carey Holzman's Networking site and follow the instructions
    for Tip #1 to check the configuration for both machines.
    http://www.homenethelp.com/help/networking-me.asp

    Hope this helps solve your problem

    Dan

    "General Mailbox" <keepspam@away.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings.
    > Trying to connect a Win98se with a WinME to share files/folders.
    > Setup is currently both machines connected to a hub which is
    connected to a
    > router which is connected to the cable modem. Both machines are
    accessing
    > the Internet ok.
    > Problems are
    >
    > 1) the Win98 Network Neighborhood is not showing any icons
    what-so-ever.
    > There is no Add Wizard or Entire Network icon. Manually using Find
    computer
    > typing in \\computername\mydocuments, and ensuring the drive &
    folder are
    > shared (without password), it does not find anything.
    >
    > 2) the WinME Network Neighborhood shows "Add Network Place", "Home
    > Networking Wizard", and "Entire Network" icons. Under Entire
    Network I see
    > the workgroup name. Under that I see the name of the two computers
    in that
    > group. One is the local machine and the other is the Win98 machine.
    Trying
    > to access the Win98 from the WinME, an error shows up stating
    \\Oemcomputer
    > is not accessible. Windows cannot find the computer or share name.
    Make
    > sure computer or share name is valid and that you are connected to
    the
    > network, and than try again.
    >
    > Internet access was, and still is, working without going through the
    ICS
    > installation process. In attempt to share folders, I used the
    Wizard on the
    > WinME, said I did not wish to share Internet connection and
    identified the
    > Ethernet card being used. I then ran the setup.exe that was created
    by the
    > wizard on the Win98 machine. I made sure the sharing of files and
    printers
    > were checked on under My Network Places properties. I cannot
    remember if
    > the icons under My Network Neighborhood were there or not on the
    Win98
    > before performing this ICS process.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help on this matter.
    > Thanks in advance!
    > B.rgds,
    > Kevin

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    "General Mailbox" <keepspam@away.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings.
    > Trying to connect a Win98se with a WinME to share files/folders.
    > Setup is currently both machines connected to a hub which is connected to a
    > router which is connected to the cable modem. Both machines are accessing
    > the Internet ok.
    > Problems are

    If these are the only 2 machines on the network, dump the HUB.

    > 1) the Win98 Network Neighborhood is not showing any icons what-so-ever.
    > There is no Add Wizard or Entire Network icon. Manually using Find computer
    > typing in \\computername\mydocuments, and ensuring the drive & folder are
    > shared (without password), it does not find anything.

    Make sure both machines are in the same workgroup and subnet as well as using
    different names.
    Also, right click the NN icon on the 98 desktop and click Properties. Do you
    have "File and Print Sharing for MS Networks" installed as a component? If not
    you need to install it in order to share.
    Click Add > Service > F&P Sharing...... to install it.

    At a minimum you need MS Client for Networks, TCP/IP and F&P Sharing installed.

    If it is already installed as a component then you need to right click on a
    file/folder you wish to share, click Sharing and set your permissions. Once
    properly setup it will have a hand under disk signifying a shared resource.

    If the above doesn't help, you need to look at the configuration of each
    machine to make sure their protocols are properly set. As well, if you have a
    software firewall installed you will need to setup the machines in the trusted
    zone for the LAN.

    > 2) the WinME Network Neighborhood shows "Add Network Place", "Home
    > Networking Wizard", and "Entire Network" icons. Under Entire Network I see
    > the workgroup name. Under that I see the name of the two computers in that
    > group. One is the local machine and the other is the Win98 machine. Trying
    > to access the Win98 from the WinME, an error shows up stating \\Oemcomputer
    > is not accessible. Windows cannot find the computer or share name. Make
    > sure computer or share name is valid and that you are connected to the
    > network, and than try again.

    You obviously failed to install a component, are missing a component, not
    properly configured or being blocked by a firewall.

    Try pinging the machine using the IP given by the router to see if you get a
    response.

    > Internet access was, and still is, working without going through the ICS
    > installation process. In attempt to share folders, I used the Wizard on the
    > WinME, said I did not wish to share Internet connection and identified the
    > Ethernet card being used. I then ran the setup.exe that was created by the
    > wizard on the Win98 machine. I made sure the sharing of files and printers
    > were checked on under My Network Places properties. I cannot remember if
    > the icons under My Network Neighborhood were there or not on the Win98
    > before performing this ICS process.

    Dump ICS when using a router.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    uninstall add/remove ICS, with a router you explicitely do not use ics, the
    router assigns separate ip subnet addresses to each pc
    after removing ICS goto
    start
    run
    winipcfg
    find the network card in the list
    release all
    renew all, to regain your IP
    and
    control panel
    networking
    and make sure that the network is complete on both pcs, if the configuration
    is not complete each pc will access the internet through the router but the
    local network will not work, giving error messages much like those you have
    experienced. Once the network config is complete the network neighborhood
    will appear in both pcs

    client
    adaptor
    protocol
    service
    primary login
    file and printer sharing

    all need to be set, and are not setup in win98 by default
    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "General Mailbox" <keepspam@away.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings.
    > Trying to connect a Win98se with a WinME to share files/folders.
    > Setup is currently both machines connected to a hub which is connected to
    > router which is connected to the cable modem. Both machines are accessing
    > the Internet ok.
    > Problems are
    >
    > 1) the Win98 Network Neighborhood is not showing any icons what-so-ever.
    > There is no Add Wizard or Entire Network icon. Manually using Find
    computer
    > typing in \\computername\mydocuments, and ensuring the drive & folder are
    > shared (without password), it does not find anything.
    >
    > 2) the WinME Network Neighborhood shows "Add Network Place", "Home
    > Networking Wizard", and "Entire Network" icons. Under Entire Network I
    see
    > the workgroup name. Under that I see the name of the two computers in
    that
    > group. One is the local machine and the other is the Win98 machine.
    Trying
    > to access the Win98 from the WinME, an error shows up stating
    \\Oemcomputer
    > is not accessible. Windows cannot find the computer or share name. Make
    > sure computer or share name is valid and that you are connected to the
    > network, and than try again.
    >
    > Internet access was, and still is, working without going through the ICS
    > installation process. In attempt to share folders, I used the Wizard on
    the
    > WinME, said I did not wish to share Internet connection and identified the
    > Ethernet card being used. I then ran the setup.exe that was created by
    the
    > wizard on the Win98 machine. I made sure the sharing of files and
    printers
    > were checked on under My Network Places properties. I cannot remember if
    > the icons under My Network Neighborhood were there or not on the Win98
    > before performing this ICS process.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help on this matter.
    > Thanks in advance!
    > B.rgds,
    > Kevin

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.setup (More info?)

    "General Mailbox" <keepspam@away.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings.
    > Trying to connect a Win98se with a WinME to share files/folders.
    > Setup is currently both machines connected to a hub which is connected to
    > router which is connected to the cable modem. Both machines are accessing
    > the Internet ok.
    > Problems are
    >
    > 1) the Win98 Network Neighborhood is not showing any icons what-so-ever.
    > There is no Add Wizard or Entire Network icon. Manually using Find
    computer
    > typing in \\computername\mydocuments, and ensuring the drive & folder are
    > shared (without password), it does not find anything.

    This may help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192323

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193938

    Hope you're using this version of Dial-up networking:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297816

    > 2) the WinME Network Neighborhood shows "Add Network Place", "Home
    > Networking Wizard", and "Entire Network" icons. Under Entire Network I
    see
    > the workgroup name. Under that I see the name of the two computers in
    that
    > group. One is the local machine and the other is the Win98 machine.
    Trying
    > to access the Win98 from the WinME, an error shows up stating
    \\Oemcomputer
    > is not accessible. Windows cannot find the computer or share name. Make
    > sure computer or share name is valid and that you are connected to the
    > network, and than try again.

    Without providing the protocol you're using, and if you ever established a
    private LAN, its hard to say what's going on.

    > Internet access was, and still is, working without going through the ICS
    > installation process. In attempt to share folders, I used the Wizard on
    the
    > WinME, said I did not wish to share Internet connection and identified the
    > Ethernet card being used. I then ran the setup.exe that was created by
    the
    > wizard on the Win98 machine. I made sure the sharing of files and
    printers
    > were checked on under My Network Places properties. I cannot remember if
    > the icons under My Network Neighborhood were there or not on the Win98
    > before performing this ICS process.

    ICS is only for sharing an internet connection via LAN connection with
    another computer. The hub/router does that already. Am under the
    impression you're using a single connectionrouter without built-in hub.
    Dump ICS.

    > I would appreciate any help on this matter.

    I have used a very similar hardware setup in the past, with sames OSes you
    mentioned on either PCs. I found that using netbeui protocol was easiest to
    install for LAN use. Important that you disable file/printer sharing for
    TCP/IP protocol under those conditions, otherwise it may be possbile for an
    intruder to access from the internet. You have to fix your 98 network
    problem first mentioned earlier in your post.
    > Thanks in advance!
    > B.rgds,
    > Kevin

Microsoft Windows