Adware Gator Threat

My Norton Antivirus notifies me that I have Adware Gator in file
HDPlugin1018.dll
The delete within this program fails & I downloaded Fix Gator from their
website, but it says I have NO THREAT on my computer. Running SpyBot also
says "it is not there". This file is "supposed" to be located in
Windows/Downloaded Programs, but by using Windows Explorere to search, the
file is NOT there.

Does anyone know what the problem could be that Norton finds this? I had
the computer repaired to delete any Adware/Spyware & I still get the same
message.

I need help to resolve this issue if anyone knows what the problem could be!
It's frustrating....
2 answers Last reply
More about adware gator threat

    You most likely have more malware on your system that Norton cannot remove, and
    SpyBot or Ad-Aware cannot detect.

    Try cleaning your system of trojans with the standalone app Sysclean:
    - Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive and name it Sysclean.
    - Go here and download sysclean.com and the pattern files to the Sysclean folder:
    - Unzip the pattern files from their .zip file into the Sysclean folder.
    - Restart your computer in Safe Mode.
    - Go to the Sysclean folder and double-click sysclean.com to start the scan.

    When the scan is finished, use Notepad or Wordpad to look at the log it created. You
    may need to locate the files it named there to manually delete them, if sysclean did
    not delete them itself.

    Following that, while still in Safe Mode, use your anti-virus app to run a
    full-system virus scan. Make sure you have already updated it while you are in
    normal mode.

    Download these apps, install and update them while in normal mode, then run them in
    Safe Mode:

    CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
    http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

    Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition (To update it, start it and click its 'Check for
    Updates' link in the app to install updates). Use it to scan your system, and
    remove what it finds.
    Ad-Aware SE personal edition:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
    the items in RED only.
    SpyBot S&D:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

    If problems persist, download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these
    locations:
    http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
    Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, double-click
    HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

    When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
    similar).
    Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

    Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

    In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
    it.

    The folks there will tell you what to remove.

    See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
    http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

    A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
    http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

    When posting to one of those forums, it might also be helpful to download the free
    MWAV antivirus tool from here:
    ftp://ftp.microworldsystems.com/download/tools/mwav.exe
    Save it to the desktop (or other convenient location) and run it. Follow the prompts
    to scan your system for viruses. Then post the log of infected files from the BOTTOM
    panel of the scan window, along with your Hijack This log.

    If you would, I would also like to see the log of infected files, from MWAV, so
    please post that info here also.

    When removing spyware, it is a good idea to download and store LSPFix and
    WinsockXPFix ahead of time, in case you need to fix your Internet connectivity when
    done. Some spyware will break your ability to connect when removed.
    LSPFix:
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/lspfix.html
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/lspfix.html
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Elsie" <Elsie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My Norton Antivirus notifies me that I have Adware Gator in file
    > HDPlugin1018.dll
    > The delete within this program fails & I downloaded Fix Gator from their
    > website, but it says I have NO THREAT on my computer. Running SpyBot also
    > says "it is not there". This file is "supposed" to be located in
    > Windows/Downloaded Programs, but by using Windows Explorere to search, the
    > file is NOT there.
    >
    > Does anyone know what the problem could be that Norton finds this? I had
    > the computer repaired to delete any Adware/Spyware & I still get the same
    > message.
    >
    > I need help to resolve this issue if anyone knows what the problem could be!
    > It's frustrating....

    Have you tried Ad-aware from Lavasoft?
    "Elsie" <Elsie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My Norton Antivirus notifies me that I have Adware Gator in file
    > HDPlugin1018.dll
    > The delete within this program fails & I downloaded Fix Gator from their
    > website, but it says I have NO THREAT on my computer. Running SpyBot also
    > says "it is not there". This file is "supposed" to be located in
    > Windows/Downloaded Programs, but by using Windows Explorere to search, the
    > file is NOT there.
    >
    > Does anyone know what the problem could be that Norton finds this? I had
    > the computer repaired to delete any Adware/Spyware & I still get the same
    > message.
    >
    > I need help to resolve this issue if anyone knows what the problem could
    be!
    > It's frustrating....

Norton Windows