What group for OCR

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 24, 2005 2:17:08 AM

Can somebody tell me what newsgroup is used for Optical
Character Recognition questions/problems?

Thanks for any help.

Jack

More about : group ocr

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 2:17:09 AM

What application are you using? That would be the basis of any search for a support forum.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message news:m90m615c0in68nd2lpp653h77stgr4g6pr@4ax.com...

> Can somebody tell me what newsgroup is used for Optical
> Character Recognition questions/problems?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Jack

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 2:25:23 AM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:17:08 -0400, J. Yazel <jyazel@ds.net> wrote:

>> Can somebody tell me what newsgroup is used for Optical
>>Character Recognition questions/problems?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Jack

You can do a newsgroup search for "scanner(s)" and get some help
there. If it is just about scanning, you can try www.scantips.com and
get most all the info you need there.

--
The Seabat
April 24, 2005 10:26:32 AM

MS has no such software. Therefore, its doubtful a suitable newsgroup
exists from a news server that reflects MS newsgroups.

A simple search using "ocr" in Google groups reveals 5 such newsgroups.
"J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message

> Can somebody tell me what newsgroup is used for Optical
> Character Recognition questions/problems?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Jack

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:13:32 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:43:21 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>What application are you using? That would be the basis of any search for a support forum.
==============

I am trying SimpleOCR and discovered that it scrambles the position
of the converted data in the page.

Thanks for the response.

Jack
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:13:33 PM

FWIW, I tested several OCR apps a couple of years ago, and ABBYY got my vote (and my money.)
http://www.abbyy.com/

Used it to convert 210,000 pages of a legal record that for some unfathomable reason had been stored in TIFF format. Turned it into a searchable database.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message news:rbon61pu1rpru17g8gue7o6i52b2kjmfsm@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:43:21 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
> <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >What application are you using? That would be the basis of any search for a support forum.
> ==============
>
> I am trying SimpleOCR and discovered that it scrambles the position
> of the converted data in the page.
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Jack

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:14:44 PM

>You can do a newsgroup search for "scanner(s)" and get some help
>there. If it is just about scanning, you can try www.scantips.com and
>get most all the info you need there.
================

My question is about OCR software, not scanners. I don't have any
problem scanning.

Thanks for the response anyway.

Jack
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:14:45 PM

I think The Seabat's point is that most scanners come with OCR software, and assumed that your case was one such.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message news:neon61lcsgnipra6a30p48to12j43ksao4@4ax.com...

> >You can do a newsgroup search for "scanner(s)" and get some help
> >there. If it is just about scanning, you can try www.scantips.com and
> >get most all the info you need there.
> ================
>
> My question is about OCR software, not scanners. I don't have any
> problem scanning.
>
> Thanks for the response anyway.
>
> Jack

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:55:27 PM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:39:28 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>FWIW, I tested several OCR apps a couple of years ago, and ABBYY got my vote (and my money.)
>http://www.abbyy.com/
>
>Used it to convert 210,000 pages of a legal record that for some unfathomable reason had been stored in TIFF format. Turned it into a searchable database.
=====================

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Jack
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:54:38 AM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:14:44 -0400, J. Yazel <jyazel@ds.net> wrote:

>>>You can do a newsgroup search for "scanner(s)" and get some help
>>>there. If it is just about scanning, you can try www.scantips.com and
>>>get most all the info you need there.
>> ================
>>
>> My question is about OCR software, not scanners. I don't have any
>>problem scanning.
>>
>> Thanks for the response anyway.
>>
>> Jack

The groups can help you with the software, also.

--
The Seabat
Anonymous

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:54:38 -0500, The Seabat
<seabat@boardermail.com> wrote:

>>> My question is about OCR software, not scanners. I don't have any
>>>problem scanning.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the response anyway.
>>>
>>> Jack
>
>The groups can help you with the software, also.

O.K., I'll give it a try.

Jack
!