What group for OCR

Can somebody tell me what newsgroup is used for Optical
Character Recognition questions/problems?

Thanks for any help.

Jack
10 answers Last reply
More about what group

    What application are you using? That would be the basis of any search for a support forum.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:17:08 -0400, J. Yazel <jyazel@ds.net> wrote:

    >> Can somebody tell me what newsgroup is used for Optical
    >>Character Recognition questions/problems?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Jack

    You can do a newsgroup search for "scanner(s)" and get some help
    there. If it is just about scanning, you can try www.scantips.com and
    get most all the info you need there.

    --
    The Seabat

    MS has no such software. Therefore, its doubtful a suitable newsgroup
    exists from a news server that reflects MS newsgroups.

    A simple search using "ocr" in Google groups reveals 5 such newsgroups.
    "J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message

    > Can somebody tell me what newsgroup is used for Optical
    > Character Recognition questions/problems?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Jack

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:43:21 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >What application are you using? That would be the basis of any search for a support forum.
    ==============

    I am trying SimpleOCR and discovered that it scrambles the position
    of the converted data in the page.

    Thanks for the response.

    Jack

    FWIW, I tested several OCR apps a couple of years ago, and ABBYY got my vote (and my money.)
    http://www.abbyy.com/

    Used it to convert 210,000 pages of a legal record that for some unfathomable reason had been stored in TIFF format. Turned it into a searchable database.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message news:rbon61pu1rpru17g8gue7o6i52b2kjmfsm@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:43:21 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    > <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    > >What application are you using? That would be the basis of any search for a support forum.
    > ==============
    >
    > I am trying SimpleOCR and discovered that it scrambles the position
    > of the converted data in the page.
    >
    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > Jack

    >You can do a newsgroup search for "scanner(s)" and get some help
    >there. If it is just about scanning, you can try www.scantips.com and
    >get most all the info you need there.
    ================

    My question is about OCR software, not scanners. I don't have any
    problem scanning.

    Thanks for the response anyway.

    Jack

    I think The Seabat's point is that most scanners come with OCR software, and assumed that your case was one such.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "J. Yazel" <jyazel@ds.net> wrote in message news:neon61lcsgnipra6a30p48to12j43ksao4@4ax.com...

    > >You can do a newsgroup search for "scanner(s)" and get some help
    > >there. If it is just about scanning, you can try www.scantips.com and
    > >get most all the info you need there.
    > ================
    >
    > My question is about OCR software, not scanners. I don't have any
    > problem scanning.
    >
    > Thanks for the response anyway.
    >
    > Jack

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:39:28 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >FWIW, I tested several OCR apps a couple of years ago, and ABBYY got my vote (and my money.)
    >http://www.abbyy.com/
    >
    >Used it to convert 210,000 pages of a legal record that for some unfathomable reason had been stored in TIFF format. Turned it into a searchable database.
    =====================

    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

    Jack

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:14:44 -0400, J. Yazel <jyazel@ds.net> wrote:

    >>>You can do a newsgroup search for "scanner(s)" and get some help
    >>>there. If it is just about scanning, you can try www.scantips.com and
    >>>get most all the info you need there.
    >> ================
    >>
    >> My question is about OCR software, not scanners. I don't have any
    >>problem scanning.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the response anyway.
    >>
    >> Jack

    The groups can help you with the software, also.

    --
    The Seabat

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:54:38 -0500, The Seabat
    <seabat@boardermail.com> wrote:

    >>> My question is about OCR software, not scanners. I don't have any
    >>>problem scanning.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the response anyway.
    >>>
    >>> Jack
    >
    >The groups can help you with the software, also.

    O.K., I'll give it a try.

    Jack

Newsgroup Microsoft Windows