So you think you're hot stuff?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 24, 2005 8:38:34 AM

I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe I'm
not such a hot sim pilot after all.

It was the combination of a light aircraft, a runway only as wide as the
undercarriage and a mild cross wind that humbled me today.

Try it and tell me how you do:

Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)

Be honest.

Dallas

More about : hot stuff

July 24, 2005 8:38:35 AM

I find it challenging but made it up, had precip also. Let me try
landing too....
July 24, 2005 1:07:46 PM

Dallas wrote:
> Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
> lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)
>
> Be honest.

Did fair dinkum with the 210 (I know, it's not really all that light, but I
was too lazy to change the default), and then thought I'd try the same wind
at my favorite skinny field, Whidbey Island, WA - W10, since you also have
some obstacles not seen too often in TX (tall trees!:) ....
Well damn if UT-USA didn't do a number on the field, adding a few more
obstacles!!
www.cox-internet.com/tazman/w10.jpg
If ya don't have UT, it should be ok - but that really twists my colon, now
I'll have to use that grass pasture just to the west.........
Also have Megascenery NW, but I think I've been in/out of Whidbey since
then..

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don
Related resources
July 24, 2005 7:25:38 PM

I've recently been bragging that I'm hot stuff because I can get a C-130 and
C-17 in/out of 3U2 Johnson Creek Airport, the C-130 is harder to get out,
easier to get in.

http://www.vusaf.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1425

> I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe
> I'm
> not such a hot sim pilot after all.
>
> It was the combination of a light aircraft, a runway only as wide as the
> undercarriage and a mild cross wind that humbled me today.
>
> Try it and tell me how you do:
>
> Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
> lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)
>
> Be honest.
>
> Dallas

July 24, 2005 8:55:43 PM

"CRaSH"
> www.cox-internet.com/tazman/w10.jpg

Wow... you either need to got to Home Depot to buy a chain saw or learn to
make an exclude statement in scenery.cfg.

Dallas
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:25:51 PM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 04:38:34 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe I'm
> not such a hot sim pilot after all.

You're a spooky fella, D.
I was thinking about a similar topic while I was following the coastline of
Oahu in my T-182. (yes a T-182...not a C-182).

> Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
> lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)

I tried it twice.
Came in with the T-182, full flaps, idle throttle, flared it to the point
where it almost stalled and then the wind kept pushing me off course.
The second time my wheels actually touched tarmac.
I think I need a little more practice.

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(It's a NIGHTMAAAARE!!! - C3PO)

"Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org> wrote in news:uWREe.18$2g3.4542
@news.uswest.net:

> http://www.vusaf.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1425

Is the C17 payware? Or freebie? "tis an amazing A/C. Nice pic's

--
e v e n S k y

Athalon XP2800
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D
80G H-D
XP, FS9
Wingman Strike force 3D
CH yoke n' pedals
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:59:56 PM

I failed, .... harder than it sounds :-(
> I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe
I'm
> not such a hot sim pilot after all.
>
> It was the combination of a light aircraft, a runway only as wide as the
> undercarriage and a mild cross wind that humbled me today.
>
> Try it and tell me how you do:
>
> Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
> lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)
>
> Be honest.
>
> Dallas

July 24, 2005 11:59:57 PM

"Paul R"
> I failed, .... harder than it sounds :-(

Paul.. you're an honest guy. :-)

Dallas
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 5:37:57 AM

I did it with no problem. It's not that hard, I don't know why
you guys are having trouble. Maybe your computers are broken? :-P

That runway is not _that_ narrow, and 9 kt cross winds are no big deal.

It gets tricky if you raise the winds to about 20 kts and add some rain
and poor visibility. It's easy to lose your bearings and land at the wrong
airport then. :-)

--
Kristian G. Suarez
July 25, 2005 10:01:59 AM

"Marcel Kuijper"
> I think I need a little more practice.

Yeah, staying on the runway during the rollout is a bitch.

The trick of course, is to use your rudder to align the aircraft's center
line with the runway, then use ailerons (bank angle) to move perpendicular
to the runway.

The worst part is if you are in a tail dragger... you can't as Dudley says,
"frame the runway" because it's too narrow to be seen.

I've been to that airport, the runway is that narrow and they have a couple
of very active flight schools there. I was thinking I'd hate to have to
learn there... then I realized that after that runway, all the others would
be a cinch.

Dallas
July 25, 2005 10:02:23 AM

the C-17 is payware from www.fsd-international.com the panel is freeware, I
think the the file name is scds_c17

"My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org> wrote in news:uWREe.18$2g3.4542
> @news.uswest.net:
>
>> http://www.vusaf.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1425
>
> Is the C17 payware? Or freebie? "tis an amazing A/C. Nice pic's
>
> --
> e v e n S k y
>
> Athalon XP2800
> 1 G Ram
> GeForce FX5900XT
> 160G H-D
> 80G H-D
> XP, FS9
> Wingman Strike force 3D
> CH yoke n' pedals

July 25, 2005 1:32:26 PM

Dallas wrote:
> "Marcel Kuijper"
>
>>I think I need a little more practice.
>

> Yeah, staying on the runway during the rollout is a bitch.
>
> The trick of course, is to use your rudder to align the aircraft's center
> line with the runway, then use ailerons (bank angle) to move perpendicular
> to the runway.
>
> The worst part is if you are in a tail dragger... you can't as Dudley says,
> "frame the runway" because it's too narrow to be seen.
>
> Dallas

It wasn't as easy as I thought. Of course on short final the thought
"Engine Failure" entered my thoughts and that resulted in, well, .. an
engine failure. It's hard to see the runway like Dalli said but I saw
the taxiway coming up so I turned left and gave it some throttle. I
forgot .. no engine. I did try it again in an ultralight but I'm not
talking about that one. :)

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs39&d=05301&f=cub01.jpg

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
July 26, 2005 11:14:56 AM

Do you use a force feedback joystick? That REALLY complicates things! ;)  The
plane will fight with you sometimes.....

2992

> I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe
> I'm
> not such a hot sim pilot after all.
>
> It was the combination of a light aircraft, a runway only as wide as the
> undercarriage and a mild cross wind that humbled me today.
>
> Try it and tell me how you do:
>
> Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
> lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)
>
> Be honest.
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:42:15 AM

Well Dallas, when I go light, I GO LIGHT. How about the Wright flyer...heh
heh heh. Now I'm not sure I did this right (or is that Wright??). Can you
actually set wind direction and speed in the simulator? Anyway let me
know. In the meantime check out the ride in the Wright at 52f :)

http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/Wright/index.htm

Mike

> I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe
> I'm
> not such a hot sim pilot after all.
>
> It was the combination of a light aircraft, a runway only as wide as the
> undercarriage and a mild cross wind that humbled me today.
>
> Try it and tell me how you do:
>
> Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
> lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)
>
> Be honest.
>
> Dallas

August 3, 2005 2:42:16 AM

Yee Hawwwww - the pioneer spirit lives!!!!!

However - Let us know where to send flowers if you try it with crosswind in
that thing....

d:->))
August 3, 2005 3:19:38 AM

"mikepic"
> know. In the meantime check out the ride in the Wright at 52f :)
> http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/Wright/index.htm

LMAO! That has to be shortest landing rollout I've ever seen!

As to setting the winds in FS:

I'm doing this from memory.... World, Weather, then User Defined, Customize
weather, Advanced Weather, then pick the Wind tab.

Dallas
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:17:31 AM

Hey thanks and yes, it is the shortest landing rollout I have seen and that
included a bounce! Actually, it is a landing skidout ...heh heh heh

I'll try it with the wind. That will be trouble with this old bird for
sure.

> "mikepic"
>> know. In the meantime check out the ride in the Wright at 52f :)
>> http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/Wright/index.htm
>
> LMAO! That has to be shortest landing rollout I've ever seen!
>

> As to setting the winds in FS:
>
> I'm doing this from memory.... World, Weather, then User Defined,
> Customize
> weather, Advanced Weather, then pick the Wind tab.
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:20:38 AM

Well ya see, maybe they key is you won't have to land that old thing in any
crosswind. Point it into the wind and touch down at 2 mph...maybe even
backwards if the wind is high enough. Could probably land that plane within
the witdth of the runway. Hey, we are going to have to experiment!

Mike
"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> Yee Hawwwww - the pioneer spirit lives!!!!!
>
> However - Let us know where to send flowers if you try it with crosswind
> in that thing....
>
> d:->))

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:52:19 PM

Could you folks send Flowers to the Bart's Funeral Home and Car Wash.. My
funeral is Friday. Contributions can be made to:

The Insane Sim Pilots Widow Foundation :)

Se my demise at:

http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/WrightFiasco/index.htm

It's been fun folks
Mike
"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> Yee Hawwwww - the pioneer spirit lives!!!!!
>
> However - Let us know where to send flowers if you try it with crosswind
> in that thing....
>
> d:->))

August 3, 2005 5:52:20 PM

Congratulations! At least ya hit the runway (or parts of it did :) ........
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:21:36 AM

Nope, skids ain't worth a s**t :)

> "mikepic"
>> http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/WrightFiasco/index.htm
>
> LOL
>
> You were lined up perfectly... I thought you were gonna make it!
>
> I guess those skids don't slide very well sideways.
>

> Dallas

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:22:40 AM

I guess that counts something. My epitaph: " At least he made the runway"

!