So you think you're hot stuff?

I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe I'm
not such a hot sim pilot after all.

It was the combination of a light aircraft, a runway only as wide as the
undercarriage and a mild cross wind that humbled me today.

Try it and tell me how you do:

Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)

Be honest.

Dallas
24 answers Last reply
More about stuff

    I find it challenging but made it up, had precip also. Let me try
    landing too....

    Dallas wrote:
    > Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
    > lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)
    >
    > Be honest.

    Did fair dinkum with the 210 (I know, it's not really all that light, but I
    was too lazy to change the default), and then thought I'd try the same wind
    at my favorite skinny field, Whidbey Island, WA - W10, since you also have
    some obstacles not seen too often in TX (tall trees!:)....
    Well damn if UT-USA didn't do a number on the field, adding a few more
    obstacles!!
    www.cox-internet.com/tazman/w10.jpg
    If ya don't have UT, it should be ok - but that really twists my colon, now
    I'll have to use that grass pasture just to the west.........
    Also have Megascenery NW, but I think I've been in/out of Whidbey since
    then..

    Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
    Don

    I've recently been bragging that I'm hot stuff because I can get a C-130 and
    C-17 in/out of 3U2 Johnson Creek Airport, the C-130 is harder to get out,
    easier to get in.

    http://www.vusaf.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1425

    > I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe
    > I'm
    > not such a hot sim pilot after all.
    >
    > It was the combination of a light aircraft, a runway only as wide as the
    > undercarriage and a mild cross wind that humbled me today.
    >
    > Try it and tell me how you do:
    >
    > Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
    > lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)
    >
    > Be honest.
    >
    > Dallas

    "CRaSH"
    > www.cox-internet.com/tazman/w10.jpg

    Wow... you either need to got to Home Depot to buy a chain saw or learn to
    make an exclude statement in scenery.cfg.

    Dallas

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 04:38:34 GMT, Dallas wrote:

    > I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe I'm
    > not such a hot sim pilot after all.

    You're a spooky fella, D.
    I was thinking about a similar topic while I was following the coastline of
    Oahu in my T-182. (yes a T-182...not a C-182).

    > Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
    > lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)

    I tried it twice.
    Came in with the T-182, full flaps, idle throttle, flared it to the point
    where it almost stalled and then the wind kept pushing me off course.
    The second time my wheels actually touched tarmac.
    I think I need a little more practice.

    --

    Marcel (SAG-21)
    (It's a NIGHTMAAAARE!!! - C3PO)

    "Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org> wrote in news:uWREe.18$2g3.4542
    @news.uswest.net:

    > http://www.vusaf.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1425

    Is the C17 payware? Or freebie? "tis an amazing A/C. Nice pic's

    --
    e v e n S k y

    Athalon XP2800
    1 G Ram
    GeForce FX5900XT
    160G H-D
    80G H-D
    XP, FS9
    Wingman Strike force 3D
    CH yoke n' pedals

    I failed, .... harder than it sounds :-(
    > I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe
    I'm
    > not such a hot sim pilot after all.
    >
    > It was the combination of a light aircraft, a runway only as wide as the
    > undercarriage and a mild cross wind that humbled me today.
    >
    > Try it and tell me how you do:
    >
    > Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
    > lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)
    >
    > Be honest.
    >
    > Dallas

    "Paul R"
    > I failed, .... harder than it sounds :-(

    Paul.. you're an honest guy. :-)

    Dallas

    I did it with no problem. It's not that hard, I don't know why
    you guys are having trouble. Maybe your computers are broken? :-P

    That runway is not _that_ narrow, and 9 kt cross winds are no big deal.

    It gets tricky if you raise the winds to about 20 kts and add some rain
    and poor visibility. It's easy to lose your bearings and land at the wrong
    airport then. :-)

    --
    Kristian G. Suarez

    "Marcel Kuijper"
    > I think I need a little more practice.

    Yeah, staying on the runway during the rollout is a bitch.

    The trick of course, is to use your rudder to align the aircraft's center
    line with the runway, then use ailerons (bank angle) to move perpendicular
    to the runway.

    The worst part is if you are in a tail dragger... you can't as Dudley says,
    "frame the runway" because it's too narrow to be seen.

    I've been to that airport, the runway is that narrow and they have a couple
    of very active flight schools there. I was thinking I'd hate to have to
    learn there... then I realized that after that runway, all the others would
    be a cinch.

    Dallas

    the C-17 is payware from www.fsd-international.com the panel is freeware, I
    think the the file name is scds_c17

    Dallas wrote:
    > "Marcel Kuijper"
    >
    >>I think I need a little more practice.
    >

    > Yeah, staying on the runway during the rollout is a bitch.
    >
    > The trick of course, is to use your rudder to align the aircraft's center
    > line with the runway, then use ailerons (bank angle) to move perpendicular
    > to the runway.
    >
    > The worst part is if you are in a tail dragger... you can't as Dudley says,
    > "frame the runway" because it's too narrow to be seen.
    >
    > Dallas

    It wasn't as easy as I thought. Of course on short final the thought
    "Engine Failure" entered my thoughts and that resulted in, well, .. an
    engine failure. It's hard to see the runway like Dalli said but I saw
    the taxiway coming up so I turned left and gave it some throttle. I
    forgot .. no engine. I did try it again in an ultralight but I'm not
    talking about that one. :)

    http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs39&d=05301&f=cub01.jpg

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    Do you use a force feedback joystick? That REALLY complicates things! ;) The
    plane will fight with you sometimes.....

    2992

    > I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe
    > I'm
    > not such a hot sim pilot after all.
    >
    > It was the combination of a light aircraft, a runway only as wide as the
    > undercarriage and a mild cross wind that humbled me today.
    >
    > Try it and tell me how you do:
    >
    > Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
    > lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)
    >
    > Be honest.
    >
    > Dallas

    "boB"
    > http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs39&d=05301&f=cub01.jpg

    Good landing.

    I'm going to remind myself to shoot that landing about 10 times each
    month...

    Dallas

    Well Dallas, when I go light, I GO LIGHT. How about the Wright flyer...heh
    heh heh. Now I'm not sure I did this right (or is that Wright??). Can you
    actually set wind direction and speed in the simulator? Anyway let me
    know. In the meantime check out the ride in the Wright at 52f :)

    http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/Wright/index.htm

    Mike

    > I've been simming for 20ish years so I was surprised to find that maybe
    > I'm
    > not such a hot sim pilot after all.
    >
    > It was the combination of a light aircraft, a runway only as wide as the
    > undercarriage and a mild cross wind that humbled me today.
    >
    > Try it and tell me how you do:
    >
    > Northwest Regional (52F) with a breeze at 95° about 9 knots and your
    > lightest GA aircraft (RealAir Decathlon, Cub, C152, C172... etc.)
    >
    > Be honest.
    >
    > Dallas

    Yee Hawwwww - the pioneer spirit lives!!!!!

    However - Let us know where to send flowers if you try it with crosswind in
    that thing....

    d:->))

    "mikepic"
    > know. In the meantime check out the ride in the Wright at 52f :)
    > http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/Wright/index.htm

    LMAO! That has to be shortest landing rollout I've ever seen!

    As to setting the winds in FS:

    I'm doing this from memory.... World, Weather, then User Defined, Customize
    weather, Advanced Weather, then pick the Wind tab.

    Dallas
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hey thanks and yes, it is the shortest landing rollout I have seen and that
    included a bounce! Actually, it is a landing skidout ...heh heh heh

    I'll try it with the wind. That will be trouble with this old bird for
    sure.

    > "mikepic"
    >> know. In the meantime check out the ride in the Wright at 52f :)
    >> http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/Wright/index.htm
    >
    > LMAO! That has to be shortest landing rollout I've ever seen!
    >

    > As to setting the winds in FS:
    >
    > I'm doing this from memory.... World, Weather, then User Defined,
    > Customize
    > weather, Advanced Weather, then pick the Wind tab.
    >
    > Dallas

  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Well ya see, maybe they key is you won't have to land that old thing in any
    crosswind. Point it into the wind and touch down at 2 mph...maybe even
    backwards if the wind is high enough. Could probably land that plane within
    the witdth of the runway. Hey, we are going to have to experiment!

    Mike
    "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
    > Yee Hawwwww - the pioneer spirit lives!!!!!
    >
    > However - Let us know where to send flowers if you try it with crosswind
    > in that thing....
    >
    > d:->))

  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Could you folks send Flowers to the Bart's Funeral Home and Car Wash.. My
    funeral is Friday. Contributions can be made to:

    The Insane Sim Pilots Widow Foundation :)

    Se my demise at:

    http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/WrightFiasco/index.htm

    It's been fun folks
    Mike
    "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
    > Yee Hawwwww - the pioneer spirit lives!!!!!
    >
    > However - Let us know where to send flowers if you try it with crosswind
    > in that thing....
    >
    > d:->))

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Congratulations! At least ya hit the runway (or parts of it did :)........
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "mikepic"
    > http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/WrightFiasco/index.htm

    LOL

    You were lined up perfectly... I thought you were gonna make it!

    I guess those skids don't slide very well sideways.

    Dallas
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Nope, skids ain't worth a s**t :)

    > "mikepic"
    >> http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/WrightFiasco/index.htm
    >
    > LOL
    >
    > You were lined up perfectly... I thought you were gonna make it!
    >
    > I guess those skids don't slide very well sideways.
    >

    > Dallas

  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    I guess that counts something. My epitaph: " At least he made the runway"
    > Congratulations! At least ya hit the runway (or parts of it did

Games Microsoft Video Games