help with regcleaner

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 24, 2005 2:58:03 AM

Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
info.
is there any way to fix it?
ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
windows ME if needed.
plz someone help me i would really appreciate it. :)

More about : regcleaner

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:45:58 AM

If you're using Windows ME, you probably have a Restore point you can revert to using System Restore. That would be the best thing to do.

And you shouldn't be using RegCleaner on ME, or any other system, for that matter, if you don't know a *lot* about what you're doing, and especially without first making a backup of the Registry.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6beda8d3.0504232158.674eac0a@posting.google.com...
> Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
> my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
> some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
> info.
> is there any way to fix it?
> ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
> barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
> windows ME if needed.
> plz someone help me i would really appreciate it. :)
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:08:04 AM

Since the methods used are a bit different in Windows ME, I suggest you ask this in
a Windows ME group, such as microsoft.public.windowsme.general, rather than in this
Windows 98 group.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
> my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
> some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
> info.
> is there any way to fix it?
> ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
> barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
> windows ME if needed.
> plz someone help me i would really appreciate it. :)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:02:42 PM

"jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
> my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
> some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
> info.
> is there any way to fix it?
> ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
> barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
> windows ME if needed.

1. boot DOS from a floppy
With luck you will be in C:\Windows directory
If not go back to C:\
by keyiing
CD..
that is CD and two periods
repeatedly until you get to C:\ (root directory)
then key
CD Windows
and you ought to be in the C:\Windows directory.
Then key
CD Command
and you ought to be in the right place
C:\windows\command

2. then key these letters
SCANREG /RESTORE
You should see a list of five dates (of saved
earlier dates). Choose one that you are
sure gave you a good boot.

3. It appears you altered your Registry without
first saving a copy in case of accident. Why
did you take this risk?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<O1wt#kJSFHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> If you're using Windows ME, you probably have a Restore point you can =
> revert to using System Restore. That would be the best thing to do.
>
> And you shouldn't be using RegCleaner on ME, or any other system, for =
> that matter, if you don't know a *lot* about what you're doing, and =
> especially without first making a backup of the Registry.
>
> --=20
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
> =20
> "jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message =
> > Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
> > my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
> > some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
> > info.
> > is there any way to fix it?
> > ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
> > barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
> > windows ME if needed.
> > plz someone help me i would really appreciate it. :)

theres a back up but i dont know how to restore since i cant use reg clenaer
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:35:23 PM

I said nothing about using RegCleaner to restore the backup. I said to try a System Restore, which is a component of Windows ME. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. If you have a Restore Point available that predates your adventure with RegCleaner, then choose that one. But choose the most recent one that predates your adventure.

Just to make sure, this is RegCleaner, by Jouni Vuorio. Not some other application with the same name? Not RegClean from Microsoft?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6beda8d3.0504241549.8a9a4ef@posting.google.com...
> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<O1wt#kJSFHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> > If you're using Windows ME, you probably have a Restore point you can =
> > revert to using System Restore. That would be the best thing to do.
> >
> > And you shouldn't be using RegCleaner on ME, or any other system, for =
> > that matter, if you don't know a *lot* about what you're doing, and =
> > especially without first making a backup of the Registry.
> >
> > --=20
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> > =20
> > "jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message =
> > > Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
> > > my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
> > > some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
> > > info.
> > > is there any way to fix it?
> > > ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
> > > barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
> > > windows ME if needed.
> > > plz someone help me i would really appreciate it. :)
>

> theres a back up but i dont know how to restore since i cant use reg clenaer
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:43:02 PM

If what you have is RegCleaner from Jouni Vuorio, then look in C:\Program Files\RegCleaner\Backups for a REG file. Right-click that and choose Merge.

--

!