help with regcleaner

Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
info.
is there any way to fix it?
ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
windows ME if needed.
plz someone help me i would really appreciate it. :)
6 answers Last reply
More about help regcleaner

    If you're using Windows ME, you probably have a Restore point you can revert to using System Restore. That would be the best thing to do.

    And you shouldn't be using RegCleaner on ME, or any other system, for that matter, if you don't know a *lot* about what you're doing, and especially without first making a backup of the Registry.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6beda8d3.0504232158.674eac0a@posting.google.com...
    > Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
    > my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
    > some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
    > info.
    > is there any way to fix it?
    > ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
    > barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
    > windows ME if needed.
    > plz someone help me i would really appreciate it. :)

    Since the methods used are a bit different in Windows ME, I suggest you ask this in
    a Windows ME group, such as microsoft.public.windowsme.general, rather than in this
    Windows 98 group.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
    > my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
    > some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
    > info.
    > is there any way to fix it?
    > ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
    > barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
    > windows ME if needed.
    > plz someone help me i would really appreciate it. :)

    "jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
    > my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
    > some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
    > info.
    > is there any way to fix it?
    > ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
    > barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
    > windows ME if needed.

    1. boot DOS from a floppy
    With luck you will be in C:\Windows directory
    If not go back to C:\
    by keyiing
    CD..
    that is CD and two periods
    repeatedly until you get to C:\ (root directory)
    then key
    CD Windows
    and you ought to be in the C:\Windows directory.
    Then key
    CD Command
    and you ought to be in the right place
    C:\windows\command

    2. then key these letters
    SCANREG /RESTORE
    You should see a list of five dates (of saved
    earlier dates). Choose one that you are
    sure gave you a good boot.

    3. It appears you altered your Registry without
    first saving a copy in case of accident. Why
    did you take this risk?

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<O1wt#kJSFHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > If you're using Windows ME, you probably have a Restore point you can =
    > revert to using System Restore. That would be the best thing to do.
    >
    > And you shouldn't be using RegCleaner on ME, or any other system, for =
    > that matter, if you don't know a *lot* about what you're doing, and =
    > especially without first making a backup of the Registry.
    >
    > --=20
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    > =20
    > "jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message =
    > > Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
    > > my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
    > > some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
    > > info.
    > > is there any way to fix it?
    > > ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
    > > barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
    > > windows ME if needed.
    > > plz someone help me i would really appreciate it. :)

    theres a back up but i dont know how to restore since i cant use reg clenaer

    I said nothing about using RegCleaner to restore the backup. I said to try a System Restore, which is a component of Windows ME. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. If you have a Restore Point available that predates your adventure with RegCleaner, then choose that one. But choose the most recent one that predates your adventure.

    Just to make sure, this is RegCleaner, by Jouni Vuorio. Not some other application with the same name? Not RegClean from Microsoft?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6beda8d3.0504241549.8a9a4ef@posting.google.com...
    > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<O1wt#kJSFHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > > If you're using Windows ME, you probably have a Restore point you can =
    > > revert to using System Restore. That would be the best thing to do.
    > >
    > > And you shouldn't be using RegCleaner on ME, or any other system, for =
    > > that matter, if you don't know a *lot* about what you're doing, and =
    > > especially without first making a backup of the Registry.
    > >
    > > --=20
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > > =20
    > > "jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message =
    > > > Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
    > > > my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
    > > > some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
    > > > info.
    > > > is there any way to fix it?
    > > > ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
    > > > barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
    > > > windows ME if needed.
    > > > plz someone help me i would really appreciate it. :)
    >

    > theres a back up but i dont know how to restore since i cant use reg clenaer

    If what you have is RegCleaner from Jouni Vuorio, then look in C:\Program Files\RegCleaner\Backups for a REG file. Right-click that and choose Merge.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6beda8d3.0504241549.8a9a4ef@posting.google.com...
    > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<O1wt#kJSFHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > > If you're using Windows ME, you probably have a Restore point you can =
    > > revert to using System Restore. That would be the best thing to do.
    > >
    > > And you shouldn't be using RegCleaner on ME, or any other system, for =
    > > that matter, if you don't know a *lot* about what you're doing, and =
    > > especially without first making a backup of the Registry.
    > >
    > > --=20
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > > =20
    > > "jm_nike" <jmvloera2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message =
    > > > Recently i used reglceaner and erased most of my reg files, it stoped
    > > > my pc from running practicly anything except for internet explorer and
    > > > some media files, i dont want to reformat it cuz i would lose lots of
    > > > info.
    > > > is there any way to fix it?
    > > > ps:i have windows Me i cant open/reinstall/unistall regcleaner i can
    > > > barelly open folders and i dont know how to use ms-dos promt in
    > > > windows ME if needed.
    > > > plz someone help me i would really appreciate it. :)
    >

    > theres a back up but i dont know how to restore since i cant use reg clenaer

Windows Me Microsoft Internet Explorer Windows