Dll NOT found - mswebapi.dll

My puter started this am w/missing dll dialog box on desktop, desktop didn't
completely load & I restarted & all was well.
Missing dll is mswebapi.dll & I don't find this dll on my puter.

Google searches identify this dll for the Personal Web Server which I don't
have installed & probably why I don't have this dll file.

Why is Windows looking for it.... ??

This is actually the first missing dll dialog I've ever rec'd on my own
personal W-98se puter & I've re-installed Windows countless times (never no
dll hell).

The only dll file I've ever found missing was for Spyware Blaster which
wouldn't install for me & I went up to the site & downloaded the required
dll file.

Thank you

Star
9 answers Last reply
More about found mswebapi

    Can you supply the exact error message?

    You may be able to find the startup item that is causing the problem.
    Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
    (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
    If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:

    Start-Run-msinfo32
    Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
    Click Startup Programs
    Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    Paste that information in your message.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Star" <star@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >My puter started this am w/missing dll dialog box on desktop, desktop didn't
    >completely load & I restarted & all was well.
    >Missing dll is mswebapi.dll & I don't find this dll on my puter.
    >
    >Google searches identify this dll for the Personal Web Server which I don't
    >have installed & probably why I don't have this dll file.
    >
    >Why is Windows looking for it.... ??
    >
    >This is actually the first missing dll dialog I've ever rec'd on my own
    >personal W-98se puter & I've re-installed Windows countless times (never no
    >dll hell).
    >
    >The only dll file I've ever found missing was for Spyware Blaster which
    >wouldn't install for me & I went up to the site & downloaded the required
    >dll file.
    >
    >Thank you
    >
    >Star

    Hi Alan,

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > Can you supply the exact error message?

    ** Not exact, but dialog box said, "could not find mswebapi.dll*.
    I surely must have it on my OS cd, I understand it's part of Personal Web
    Server ??

    > You may be able to find the startup item that is causing the problem.
    > Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
    > (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
    > If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:

    ** Newest add to Startup is KB891711. I keep Startup *clean*!!

    > Start-Run-msinfo32
    > Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
    > Click Startup Programs

    ** Startup Programs (very sparse) the most recent added is KB891711, my
    puter would not run IE w initial release. Alan I abhor this being a startup
    process. All seems well for the most part, however I found I could no longer
    run Geo Disk. went to BSOD. I'm wondering if others have Geo Disk run
    problem, especially those who required the fix for KB891771 ?? I could get
    Geo Disk to run in Safe Mode. I uninstalled it & again will run Scan Disk &
    Defrag myself, I liked Geo Disk as it was convenient.

    I stopped all processes except Explores & Systray & ran Scan Disk & Defrag,
    no problems found w/scan disk, also scanned hd surface area on 2 partitioned
    hd.

    I personally start running services myself, like Call Wave, etc...,
    sometimes I just choose not to run additional services & I don't like more
    Startup processes period. Pc-cillin is my only additional *Startup Process*.

    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
    powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    * Pc-cillin) pccguide.exe Registry (Machine Run) "D:\Program Files\Trend
    Micro\Install_fldr\pccguide.exe"
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
    powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    * Pc-cillin, P/W don't use) TmPfw Registry (Machine Service)
    * Pc-cillin) PcCtlCom Registry (Machine Service) D:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND
    * Pc-cillin) MICRO\INSTALL_FLDR\PCCTLCOM.EXE
    KB891711 Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

    > Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    > Paste that information in your message.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Star" <star@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >My puter started this am w/missing dll dialog box on desktop, desktop
    didn't
    > >completely load & I restarted & all was well.
    > >Missing dll is mswebapi.dll & I don't find this dll on my puter.
    > >
    > >Google searches identify this dll for the Personal Web Server which I
    don't
    > >have installed & probably why I don't have this dll file.
    > >
    > >Why is Windows looking for it.... ??
    > >
    > >This is actually the first missing dll dialog I've ever rec'd on my own
    > >personal W-98se puter & I've re-installed Windows countless times (never
    no
    > >dll hell).
    > >
    > >The only dll file I've ever found missing was for Spyware Blaster which
    > >wouldn't install for me & I went up to the site & downloaded the
    required
    > >dll file.
    > >
    > >Thank you
    > >
    > >Star

    Not sure what is going on.
    Yes, mswebapi.dll is part of PWS.
    No, you won't have it on your CD as Win98 SE does not have PWS.
    Unless you upgraded from Win95 and left it there, you shouldn't have
    it and it appears you don't. It would be in Add/Remove if you did.

    Are your countless re-installs of Win98 SE all over the top installs
    or have you done at least one clean install?
    A clean install should have no trace of PWS.

    I am afraid I am not familiar with Geo Disk.

    ....Alan

    --

    wrote:

> [...]
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Star" <star@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >My puter started this am w/missing dll dialog box on desktop, desktop
    >didn't
    >> >completely load & I restarted & all was well.
    >> >Missing dll is mswebapi.dll & I don't find this dll on my puter.
    >> >
    >> >Google searches identify this dll for the Personal Web Server which I
    >don't
    >> >have installed & probably why I don't have this dll file.
    >> >
    >> >Why is Windows looking for it.... ??
    >> >
    >> >This is actually the first missing dll dialog I've ever rec'd on my own
    >> >personal W-98se puter & I've re-installed Windows countless times (never
    >no
    >> >dll hell).
    >> >
    >> >The only dll file I've ever found missing was for Spyware Blaster which
    >> >wouldn't install for me & I went up to the site & downloaded the

    Hi Alan,
    No, I always clean install and re-partition and format, clean hd.

    Sorry, I own all OS's except 2000, never have upgraded, have full install
    cd's. I ran W-98 first edition for several yrs. Your *right*, it's on W-98,
    but I never installed the PWS from W-98 install cd. The *only* installs I
    believe that can be done from W-98 to a 2nd edition OS is trial games. But,
    presently have nada installed from W-98 cd.

    Yes, ran W-95 for sometime too, but clean install of W-98 was done. I
    believe W-98 upon install, you have a fldr. for Windows 95, found it inside
    Windows, I noted it's location & moved it to a removable drive, discovered
    it was needed for OE, couldn't launch OE, I put the fldr. back & all was
    well.

    Geo Disk
    See here
    http://dundats.proboards27.com/index.cgi?action=recent
    appears KB891711 are at odds too w/Geo Disk, possibly it is a running
    process that Geo Disk is not yet coded to handle ??

    I did a Google search & I found a forum for Geo Disk, Dundat's Cafe, George
    Dundat Geddy & I believe others designed this small program for ease of
    running Scan Disk & Defrag..... restarts Windows, stops interfering running
    processes, screen savers, view as a web page & etc... then executes scan
    disk & defrag & restarts the puter. I believe I found it on Brian Sisko's
    site, new MVP. Mr. George Dundat is missed, I believe he's still fishing,
    but I believe he wrote most of the code for this program.

    Thanks Alan,
    Star

> [...]
    > >SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    > >* Pc-cillin, P/W don't use) TmPfw Registry (Machine Service)
    > >* Pc-cillin) PcCtlCom Registry (Machine Service) D:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND
    > > * Pc-cillin) MICRO\INSTALL_FLDR\PCCTLCOM.EXE
    > >KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

    > >> Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    > >> Paste that information in your message.
    > >>
    > >> ...Alan
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

    > >didn't

    > >don't

    > >no

    > >required

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > Not sure what is going on.
    > Yes, mswebapi.dll is part of PWS.
    > No, you won't have it on your CD as Win98 SE does not have PWS.

    Actually, it does.

    PWS is one of the five optional Internet Tools features of Win 98SE.

    Star,
    If you don't have PWS installed, and you don't have a call for the file in the list
    Alan had you copy, look for a reference to it in the autoexec.bat and config.sys
    files, as well as the System.ini and Win.ini files.

    Yes, as you have found out, GEODisk has an incompatibility with the re-written
    KB891711 update. It is former MVP George Gedye (Bindar Dundat)'s utility, so it is
    not likely to be fixed till George returns from wherever he has disappeared for the
    past year plus.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:116o8gvdn2e2p78@corp.supernews.com...
> [...]
    > more
    > > >Startup processes period. Pc-cillin is my only additional *Startup
    > Process*.
    > > >
    > > >ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    > > >TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    > > >SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    > > >LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
    > > >powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    > > >* Pc-cillin) pccguide.exe Registry (Machine Run) "D:\Program Files\Trend
    > > >Micro\Install_fldr\pccguide.exe"
    > > >LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
    > > >powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    > > >SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    > > >* Pc-cillin, P/W don't use) TmPfw Registry (Machine Service)
    > > >* Pc-cillin) PcCtlCom Registry (Machine Service) D:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND
    > > > * Pc-cillin) MICRO\INSTALL_FLDR\PCCTLCOM.EXE

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Hugh Candlin"
    <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote:

    >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Not sure what is going on.
    >> Yes, mswebapi.dll is part of PWS.
    >> No, you won't have it on your CD as Win98 SE does not have PWS.
    >
    >Actually, it does.
    >
    >PWS is one of the five optional Internet Tools features of Win 98SE.

    Probably a poor choice of words on my part.
    Yes, PWS is in the \add-ons\pws folder in the CD and can be installed
    from there although the OP seemed clear that he had not installed it.
    Perhaps I should have said "AFAIK, Win98 SE does not have the version
    of PWS that has mswebapi.dll in it."

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    Glee,
    Did ck., called up msconfig & looked carefully last pm, found nada....
    looked for anything that might reference the PWS. The puter started
    yesterday w/o the dialog box & just again moments ago.... real strange!!

    Thanks for confirming GeoDisk incompatibility, suspected KB891711. George
    'done that been there' is missed. I will watch for his return. In fact, I
    always wonder... will George return to the group, he's just having too much
    fun, wait till he see's that Microsoft did a critical patch that is start-up
    process!!

    Star

> [...]
    Files\Trend
    FILES\TREND
    > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

    > > own
    > > (never

    > > which

    "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:116o8gvdn2e2p78@corp.supernews.com...

    > Geo Disk
    > See here
    > http://dundats.proboards27.com/index.cgi?action=recent
    > appears KB891711 are at odds too w/Geo Disk, possibly it is a running
    > process that Geo Disk is not yet coded to handle ??
    >
    > I did a Google search & I found a forum for Geo Disk, Dundat's Cafe, George
    > Dundat Geddy & I believe others designed this small program for ease of
    > running Scan Disk & Defrag..... restarts Windows, stops interfering running
    > processes, screen savers, view as a web page & etc... then executes scan

    Try ScanDefrag-
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
    http://www.blueorbsoft.com/

    ScanDefrag also had problems with kb891711, but the latest version addressed
    the issue by adding kb891711 to its default "protected processes" list.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/Readme.html

    We've also added a Protected processes manager that allows you to add your
    own processes to the list.

Desktops Microsoft Dialog DLL Windows