Disabling Windows Messenger

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 24, 2005 11:24:28 PM

Is there a utility to disable Windows Messenger in Win 98?
Every site I've Googled says it can't be done.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:36:12 PM

mrlg wrote:
> Is there a utility to disable Windows Messenger in Win 98?
> Every site I've Googled says it can't be done.

By the way, I've tried what was suggested here for Win 98
http://www.spyany.com/program/article_turnoffmessenger....
and it didn't work. The Shields Up site says my Port 135 is
undetected, so incoming probes should be blocked.
I am suspicious Windows Media Player 9 may be sending out
something that is causing these Messenger boxes. I never
got them before I installed it. I installed WMP 9 because
I wanted to view some wmv files that wouldn't work with
the older version.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:55:07 AM

Windows 98 does not have a Messenger service to disable.

* In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
* http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"mrlg" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Is there a utility to disable Windows Messenger in Win 98?
> Every site I've Googled says it can't be done.
April 25, 2005 2:00:19 AM

You should check for malware.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

There is no Windows Messenger for 98x.
--
mae

"mrlg" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
| Is there a utility to disable Windows Messenger in Win 98?
| Every site I've Googled says it can't be done.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:04:49 AM

Just uninstall the Winpopup component, in Add\Remove Programs> Windows Setup tab,
under the System Tools category. That's the only "popup" message applet available
natively in Win98.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> mrlg wrote:
> > Is there a utility to disable Windows Messenger in Win 98?
> > Every site I've Googled says it can't be done.
>

> By the way, I've tried what was suggested here for Win 98
> http://www.spyany.com/program/article_turnoffmessenger....
> and it didn't work. The Shields Up site says my Port 135 is
> undetected, so incoming probes should be blocked.
> I am suspicious Windows Media Player 9 may be sending out
> something that is causing these Messenger boxes. I never
> got them before I installed it. I installed WMP 9 because
> I wanted to view some wmv files that wouldn't work with
> the older version.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:32:22 AM

"Daniel Hicks" <danjr@voyager.net> wrote in message
news:o Gyq7yTSFHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > mrlg wrote:
> > > Is there a utility to disable Windows Messenger in Win 98?
> > > Every site I've Googled says it can't be done.
> >

> Can't be done.
> http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

That's because there is no Messenger Service in Win9x....9x does not support
Services.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:16:49 PM

mae wrote:
> You should check for malware.
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

I just ran Cwshredder and Adaware, as recommended on
that site. Cwshredder found nothing, but Adaware said I
had Alexa and some cookies. If Alexa is making this
Window, it probably came with IE6, which I downloaded
recently. I never had this sort of window appear with IE5
or any other popup appear when I wasn't browsing.

> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
>
> There is no Windows Messenger for 98x.

The little popup window said Windows Messenger on it.
Of course that may have been bogus. I had Adaware
quarantine the Alexa, so will wait and see if that
"Messenger" window appears again.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:16:50 PM

It isn't coming from that Alexa entry.
--

> mae wrote:
> > You should check for malware.
> > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>
> I just ran Cwshredder and Adaware, as recommended on
> that site. Cwshredder found nothing, but Adaware said I
> had Alexa and some cookies. If Alexa is making this
> Window, it probably came with IE6, which I downloaded
> recently. I never had this sort of window appear with IE5
> or any other popup appear when I wasn't browsing.
>
> > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
> >
> > There is no Windows Messenger for 98x.
>
> The little popup window said Windows Messenger on it.
> Of course that may have been bogus. I had Adaware
> quarantine the Alexa, so will wait and see if that
> "Messenger" window appears again.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:11:07 PM

I thought you might have malware as some send fake "messages" when offline.
It is not Alexa - that is just a registry key that has always been in IE to
show related links on the toolbar.
What was the message?
That should help you determine what called it.
Otherwise work your way through the rest of that parasite link.

I originally thought you meant:
Windows Messenger (part of WinXP)
Messenger for Windows/Msnmessenger was for '98x but ceased in 2002 when
Windows Messenger was only for XP, and MSN Messenger for everyone else.
There was an option in IE v.5x to include this in tools, not v.6.

Your popup is not this.
Messenger Service of Windows (NetBIOS)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=168893

There was also:
Windows Messaging - from Microsoft Mail and Fax

Confused by such similar names? (There are more)
Good luck - 'bout all I can offer.
--
mae

"mrlg" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
| mae wrote:
| > You should check for malware.
| > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
|
| I just ran Cwshredder and Adaware, as recommended on
| that site. Cwshredder found nothing, but Adaware said I
| had Alexa and some cookies. If Alexa is making this
| Window, it probably came with IE6, which I downloaded
| recently. I never had this sort of window appear with IE5
| or any other popup appear when I wasn't browsing.
|
| > http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
| >
| > There is no Windows Messenger for 98x.
|
| The little popup window said Windows Messenger on it.
| Of course that may have been bogus. I had Adaware
| quarantine the Alexa, so will wait and see if that
| "Messenger" window appears again.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:30:36 PM

mae wrote:
> I thought you might have malware as some send fake "messages" when offline.
> It is not Alexa - that is just a registry key that has always been in IE to
> show related links on the toolbar.
> What was the message?

I don't remember. Both times it appeared it was advertising
something useless. If I see it again I'll write down the
message.

> That should help you determine what called it.
> Otherwise work your way through the rest of that parasite link.
>
> I originally thought you meant:
> Windows Messenger (part of WinXP)
> Messenger for Windows/Msnmessenger was for '98x but ceased in 2002 when
> Windows Messenger was only for XP, and MSN Messenger for everyone else.
> There was an option in IE v.5x to include this in tools, not v.6.
>
> Your popup is not this.
> Messenger Service of Windows (NetBIOS)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=168893

No it wouldn't be that. It was on Windows 98.

> There was also:
> Windows Messaging - from Microsoft Mail and Fax

I've never used that on this computer.
In fact, I rarely use the Windows 98 partition at all.
I keep it around for those sites that won't work in any
other browser but IE, and for websites where some of the
features only work in IE. That may have been how something
got in - when I was viewing an IE6-only video that was
on http://msnbc.msn.com

!