Reinstalling Windows

Tags:
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 25, 2005 3:14:03 AM

I did it again. Me and my tests of shareware!! One step beyond, and
blue screen at the ok corral (no, registry backups were not helpful in this
case).

But .... "it's an ill wind that blows no good". Got a clean system
(again), and besides that, I learned the hard way how to get back my OE mail
and news rules. A bit of a pain in the butt, but it was worth it. I
think.....

More about : reinstalling windows

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:14:18 PM

(Updated with more info below...)

Bill in Co. wrote:
> I did it again. Me and my tests of shareware!! One step beyond, and
> blue screen at the ok corral (no, registry backups were not helpful in
this
> case).
>
> But .... "it's an ill wind that blows no good". Got a clean system
> (again), and besides that, I learned the hard way how to get back my OE
mail
> and news rules. A bit of a pain in the butt, but it was worth it. I
> think.....

Well, on rereading this again, this was not very informative, so let me add
in some corrections and notes:

It wasn't shareware - it was a freeware utility program that was *supposed
to* give you some nice system info on your system. The program name was:
Info Bag Pro. DON'T try it!

It used a MSI file to install itself. What it then did was install some
OCX and VXD files that rendered my system next to useless, viz, "Explorer
has caused a page fault..." (etc, etc, etc) anytime you used Windows
Explorer (which made it next to impossible to uninstall it).

But. as I said, I learned something else in the process: how to use regedit
in DOS mode to export the (previously saved) good registry as a reg (text)
file. That allowed me to find my old OE Mail and News Rules key info,
which I then reregistered (after first updating the CLSID user key name) in
my current registry.

Note: to whom it may concern: if you ever have to do this, be damn sure you
first run SMARTDRV before attempting to export your old registry system and
user data files (from a previously saved cabinet) into a new reg (text)
file, to find the desired key info. Otherwise you'll be there at the DOS
prompt for hours.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 6:26:51 PM

Bill in Co. wrote:

> It used a MSI file to install itself. What it then did was install
> some OCX and VXD files that rendered my system next to useless, viz,
> "Explorer has caused a page fault..." (etc, etc, etc) anytime you
> used Windows Explorer (which made it next to impossible to uninstall
> it).
>
> But. as I said, I learned something else in the process: how to use
> regedit in DOS mode to export the (previously saved) good registry as
> a reg (text) file. That allowed me to find my old OE Mail and News
> Rules key info, which I then reregistered (after first updating the
> CLSID user key name) in my current registry.

Lots easier to just use Total Uninstall.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
April 25, 2005 7:45:37 PM

Bill in Co. wrote:
> I did it again. Me and my tests of shareware!! One step
> beyond, and blue screen at the ok corral (no, registry backups were
> not helpful in this case).
>
> But .... "it's an ill wind that blows no good". Got a clean
> system (again), and besides that, I learned the hard way how to get
> back my OE mail and news rules. A bit of a pain in the butt, but it
> was worth it. I think.....

GoBack. Speaking from experience: an Inept Power User's dream, .
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 8:40:32 PM

Interesting. I just looked it up. Two versions: one free, the newer one
is shareware.

How effective is Total Uninstall in all cases? Surely it's not as
effective as Go Back or Ghost? Probably wouldn't save you if you were
stuck at the Blue Screen level, I'd guess.

dadiOH wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>
>> It used a MSI file to install itself. What it then did was install
>> some OCX and VXD files that rendered my system next to useless, viz,
>> "Explorer has caused a page fault..." (etc, etc, etc) anytime you
>> used Windows Explorer (which made it next to impossible to uninstall
>> it).
>>
>> But. as I said, I learned something else in the process: how to use
>> regedit in DOS mode to export the (previously saved) good registry as
>> a reg (text) file. That allowed me to find my old OE Mail and News
>> Rules key info, which I then reregistered (after first updating the
>> CLSID user key name) in my current registry.
>
> Lots easier to just use Total Uninstall.
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
April 25, 2005 8:42:35 PM

That's one of the main purposes I use Ghost. I always create an image before
any new installation, if something goes bang or I find I don't like the app I
then restore the pre-install image. I use TotalUninstall to monitor all app
installs which also creates an uninstall file should I wish to remove the app.
If the app is installed for a number of days before I decide I don't like/want
it, then I uninstall it with either Add/Remove, the apps uninstaller or
TotalUninstall. After uninstalling the app I then use any number of registry
editors to seek/remove any errant left-behinds.

Two apps I use aside from/along with regedit, which NO ONE THAT IS NOT
FAMILIARIZED OR EXPERIENCED with registry editing should ever use or even
attempt to edit the registry.

Reg Commander
Registrar Lite

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I did it again. Me and my tests of shareware!! One step beyond, and
> blue screen at the ok corral (no, registry backups were not helpful in this
> case).
>
> But .... "it's an ill wind that blows no good". Got a clean system
> (again), and besides that, I learned the hard way how to get back my OE mail
> and news rules. A bit of a pain in the butt, but it was worth it. I
> think.....

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:12:26 PM

Definitely not as effective as an image. However, AFAIK it works well in
removing folders/files in Windows. It may not remove all registry keys for some
particular purpose when uninstalling some apps, but not to worry, TU creates a
log containing any reg keys not removed and why. You then make the choice on if
you should remove them or not.

The one thing to keep an eye on is anything done after the monitoring is
finished will not be included in the uninstall or the log, in which case it
becomes a manual search and delete.

--

> Interesting. I just looked it up. Two versions: one free, the newer one
> is shareware.
>
> How effective is Total Uninstall in all cases? Surely it's not as
> effective as Go Back or Ghost? Probably wouldn't save you if you were
> stuck at the Blue Screen level, I'd guess.
>
> dadiOH wrote:
>> Bill in Co. wrote:
>>
>>> It used a MSI file to install itself. What it then did was install
>>> some OCX and VXD files that rendered my system next to useless, viz,
>>> "Explorer has caused a page fault..." (etc, etc, etc) anytime you
>>> used Windows Explorer (which made it next to impossible to uninstall
>>> it).
>>>
>>> But. as I said, I learned something else in the process: how to use
>>> regedit in DOS mode to export the (previously saved) good registry as
>>> a reg (text) file. That allowed me to find my old OE Mail and News
>>> Rules key info, which I then reregistered (after first updating the
>>> CLSID user key name) in my current registry.
>>
>> Lots easier to just use Total Uninstall.
>>
>> --
>> dadiOH
>> ____________________________
>>
>> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
>> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
>> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
>> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:55:16 PM

What about if some app (like that bad one I mentioned) had installed some
bad OCX and VxD files - could it also fix those errors? To do so, it
would have to "unregister" them in the registry AND any and all screwed up
associations with those files. That might be a tall order for this
program, right?

Brian A. wrote:
> Definitely not as effective as an image. However, AFAIK it works well in
> removing folders/files in Windows. It may not remove all registry keys for
> some particular purpose when uninstalling some apps, but not to worry, TU
> creates a log containing any reg keys not removed and why. You then make
the
> choice on if you should remove them or not.
>
> The one thing to keep an eye on is anything done after the monitoring is
> finished will not be included in the uninstall or the log, in which case
it
> becomes a manual search and delete.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Interesting. I just looked it up. Two versions: one free, the newer
one
>> is shareware.
>>
>> How effective is Total Uninstall in all cases? Surely it's not as
>> effective as Go Back or Ghost? Probably wouldn't save you if you were
>> stuck at the Blue Screen level, I'd guess.
>>
>> dadiOH wrote:

>>> Lots easier to just use Total Uninstall.
>>>
>>> --
>>> dadiOH
>>> ____________________________
>>>
>>> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
>>> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
>>> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
>>> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:51:53 AM

Bill in Co. wrote:
> What about if some app (like that bad one I mentioned) had installed
> some bad OCX and VxD files - could it also fix those errors?

They would be deleted. What it can't do is replace previously existing
files that were overwritten.

What it does...

Registry
created keys will be deleted
deleted keys will be created
created values will be deleted
deleted values will be created
modified values will be restored

File System
created folders will be deleted
created files will be deleted
_______________________

You asked in another post how it compares to GoBack & Ghost. Ghost is
an imager, different thing. The "change fle" that TUN produces is
generally smallish...most are well under 100KB. Most. The one for
dotNET is 1,904KB, VB is 964KB.

It is good for more than monitoring installs. You can use it while
browsing suspect sites, for monitoring whatever sort of change is made
to your system by whatever, to find where some program is stashing
files...anything.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
April 26, 2005 2:51:54 AM

OK, so let me go out on a limb here, and play devil's advocate. As long as
we aren't missing the proper files on the HD, TUN *will* be able to recover
from just about any software malignancy we throw at it (due to some freeware
or shareware being poorly designed)?

I guess that would be true even if we were stuck in Safe Mode. If we
couldn't even get to Safe Mode, we're probably hosed (assuming a registry
restore doesn't cut it).

dadiOH wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> What about if some app (like that bad one I mentioned) had installed
>> some bad OCX and VxD files - could it also fix those errors?
>
> They would be deleted. What it can't do is replace previously existing
> files that were overwritten.
>
> What it does...
>
> Registry
> created keys will be deleted
> deleted keys will be created
> created values will be deleted
> deleted values will be created
> modified values will be restored
>
> File System
> created folders will be deleted
> created files will be deleted
> _______________________
>
> You asked in another post how it compares to GoBack & Ghost. Ghost is
> an imager, different thing. The "change fle" that TUN produces is
> generally smallish...most are well under 100KB. Most. The one for
> dotNET is 1,904KB, VB is 964KB.
>
> It is good for more than monitoring installs. You can use it while
> browsing suspect sites, for monitoring whatever sort of change is made
> to your system by whatever, to find where some program is stashing
> files...anything.
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
April 26, 2005 4:17:24 AM

It may/may not, I'm not 100% sold on TU. What makes me leery is stated in one of
my responses in another thread.

Repeated here so you won't have to search it out.
<quote>
Figure I need to mention this for others:
Within the past 48hrs I have uninstalled Nero OEM Express6 along with the very
few app,( that's right, no s at the end ) that came with it. After Add/Remove,
cleaning installation drive and everything I could find on C: I ran a registry
check on Ahead and Nero. It came up with more than 750 entries left in the
registry, all legit Nero which I removed. I then installed the updated version
of what was wanted to the wrong drive purposely monitoring it with Total
Uninstall. After installing, rebooting and clearing out all temps, I restarted
TU and ran the uninstall to remove the Ahead/Nero apps installed. After TU was
finished I ran the registry scan again and it came up with approx 450 entries.
We are talking about a major app that doesn't have a very good
uninstall/cleanup.
</quote>

--

> What about if some app (like that bad one I mentioned) had installed some
> bad OCX and VxD files - could it also fix those errors? To do so, it
> would have to "unregister" them in the registry AND any and all screwed up
> associations with those files. That might be a tall order for this
> program, right?
>
> Brian A. wrote:
>> Definitely not as effective as an image. However, AFAIK it works well in
>> removing folders/files in Windows. It may not remove all registry keys for
>> some particular purpose when uninstalling some apps, but not to worry, TU
>> creates a log containing any reg keys not removed and why. You then make
> the
>> choice on if you should remove them or not.
>>
>> The one thing to keep an eye on is anything done after the monitoring is
>> finished will not be included in the uninstall or the log, in which case
> it
>> becomes a manual search and delete.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> Interesting. I just looked it up. Two versions: one free, the newer
> one
>>> is shareware.
>>>
>>> How effective is Total Uninstall in all cases? Surely it's not as
>>> effective as Go Back or Ghost? Probably wouldn't save you if you were
>>> stuck at the Blue Screen level, I'd guess.

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:17:25 AM

Interesting. Which version of TU? (I'm assuming even the newer
shareware version 3.x wasn't able to find all the references. I have a
copy of the freeware version (2.x) saved here on my HD, but haven't
installed it yet. The price was right, though (free).

I also have Nero6 OEM, Brian. I'm not quite sure why you were
uninstalling it though. Nero didn't work out for you?

At any rate, that's not encouraging news. I guess Go Back is always an
option, but I was hoping for something a little more "lightweight".

Brian A. wrote:
> It may/may not, I'm not 100% sold on TU. What makes me leery is stated in
one
> of my responses in another thread.
>
> Repeated here so you won't have to search it out.
> <quote>
> Figure I need to mention this for others:
> Within the past 48hrs I have uninstalled Nero OEM Express6 along with the
> very few app,( that's right, no s at the end ) that came with it. After
> Add/Remove, cleaning installation drive and everything I could find on C:
> ran a registry check on Ahead and Nero. It came up with more than 750
entries
> left in the registry, all legit Nero which I removed. I then installed the
> updated version of what was wanted to the wrong drive purposely monitoring
it
> with Total Uninstall. After installing, rebooting and clearing out all
temps,
> I restarted TU and ran the uninstall to remove the Ahead/Nero apps
installed.
> After TU was finished I ran the registry scan again and it came up with
> approx 450 entries. We are talking about a major app that doesn't have a
very
> good uninstall/cleanup.
> </quote>
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> What about if some app (like that bad one I mentioned) had installed some
>> bad OCX and VxD files - could it also fix those errors? To do so, it
>> would have to "unregister" them in the registry AND any and all screwed
up
>> associations with those files. That might be a tall order for this
>> program, right?
>>
>> Brian A. wrote:
>>> Definitely not as effective as an image. However, AFAIK it works well in
>>> removing folders/files in Windows. It may not remove all registry keys
for
>>> some particular purpose when uninstalling some apps, but not to worry,
TU
>>> creates a log containing any reg keys not removed and why. You then make
>> the
>>> choice on if you should remove them or not.
>>>
>>> The one thing to keep an eye on is anything done after the monitoring
is
>>> finished will not be included in the uninstall or the log, in which case
>> it
>>> becomes a manual search and delete.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian A. Sesko
>>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message

April 26, 2005 7:48:43 AM

TU would be totally helpless to monitor dll files selfregistering AFTER
they were installed and so would not record those registry entries
created when running an app for the first time - IF the app and dll
files for it were written to 'install' like that. Unless you knew that
before hand and ran TU's second scan at the right time to catch that
aspect. I'm thinking TU doesn't unregister any files and so likewise
you could end up with some trash in the registry pointing to files that
don't exist anymore? This situation might lead to 'can't find xyz.dll
file' at bootup error messages or worse? I wouldn't give TU any more
credit than a systems recorder for that moment that it records the
system. The more complicated the install, the greater chance something
might slip by TU. Foolproof it's not and by quite a bit too. It would
be nice to have the option to rescan the system again the 2nd time
around to possibly catch some of the above stuff, but that's not in the
freeware version I use.

Norton's Ghost runs from a floppy which is nice in those blue screen
situations. The image file that one uses to restore Windows from won't
fit on a floppy though. There are other very good imaging software
packages out there, don't be sold only on Ghost. Reimaging is the
fastest and bestest way to get to where you once were. Every body who
trys it says the same thing.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:34:34 AM

The entries found after uninstalling with TUN are ones that were created after the
first run of Nero....and likely AFTER TUN had completed monitoring. It is important
to keep TUN monitoring until after the first run of the installed app, or else make
two runs of TUN....one for the initial install, and a second for the first run of
the app. This is not a fault of TUN....any sizeable app will create reg entries and
files upon first run.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> It may/may not, I'm not 100% sold on TU. What makes me leery is stated in one of
> my responses in another thread.
>
> Repeated here so you won't have to search it out.
> <quote>
> Figure I need to mention this for others:
> Within the past 48hrs I have uninstalled Nero OEM Express6 along with the very
> few app,( that's right, no s at the end ) that came with it. After Add/Remove,
> cleaning installation drive and everything I could find on C: I ran a registry
> check on Ahead and Nero. It came up with more than 750 entries left in the
> registry, all legit Nero which I removed. I then installed the updated version
> of what was wanted to the wrong drive purposely monitoring it with Total
> Uninstall. After installing, rebooting and clearing out all temps, I restarted
> TU and ran the uninstall to remove the Ahead/Nero apps installed. After TU was
> finished I ran the registry scan again and it came up with approx 450 entries.
> We are talking about a major app that doesn't have a very good
> uninstall/cleanup.
> </quote>
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > What about if some app (like that bad one I mentioned) had installed some
> > bad OCX and VxD files - could it also fix those errors? To do so, it
> > would have to "unregister" them in the registry AND any and all screwed up
> > associations with those files. That might be a tall order for this
> > program, right?
> >
> > Brian A. wrote:
> >> Definitely not as effective as an image. However, AFAIK it works well in
> >> removing folders/files in Windows. It may not remove all registry keys for
> >> some particular purpose when uninstalling some apps, but not to worry, TU
> >> creates a log containing any reg keys not removed and why. You then make
> > the
> >> choice on if you should remove them or not.
> >>
> >> The one thing to keep an eye on is anything done after the monitoring is
> >> finished will not be included in the uninstall or the log, in which case
> > it
> >> becomes a manual search and delete.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian A. Sesko
> >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
> >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >>

> >> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > one

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:39:35 PM

Brian A. wrote:
> It may/may not, I'm not 100% sold on TU. What makes me leery is
> stated in one of my responses in another thread.
>
> Repeated here so you won't have to search it out.
> <quote>
> Figure I need to mention this for others:
> Within the past 48hrs I have uninstalled Nero OEM Express6 along
> with the very few app,( that's right, no s at the end ) that came
> with it. After Add/Remove, cleaning installation drive and everything
> I could find on C: I ran a registry check on Ahead and Nero. It came
> up with more than 750 entries left in the registry, all legit Nero
> which I removed. I then installed the updated version of what was
> wanted to the wrong drive purposely monitoring it with Total
> Uninstall. After installing, rebooting and clearing out all temps, I
> restarted TU and ran the uninstall to remove the Ahead/Nero apps
> installed. After TU was finished I ran the registry scan again and it
> came up with approx 450 entries. We are talking about a major app
> that doesn't have a very good uninstall/cleanup. </quote>

1. TUN can only remove what was monitored. If a program is run, its
options set up, etc post monitoring and it make reg entries, those
changes can't be removed. Obviously :)

2. Exactly *what* is removed depends on what options you have set in TUN

3. It really isn't very hard for a program like TUN to compare a before
and after registry and pick out the changes, sure isn't going to miss
anything.

4. I sure agree with you about apps (major or not) not cleaning up
after themselves. Which is why I love TUN :)

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
April 26, 2005 12:51:02 PM

Lee wrote:
> TU would be totally helpless to monitor dll files selfregistering
> AFTER they were installed and so would not record those registry
> entries created when running an app for the first time

One runs the app post install while the monitoring is still in process.
Ditto setting up options in the app.
________________

> I'm thinking TU doesn't unregister any files and
> so likewise you could end up with some trash in the registry pointing
> to files that don't exist anymore?

It decrements the file's counter; if the counter goes to zero (no other
apps using it) it is deleted.
_________________

> It would be nice to have the option to
> rescan the system again the 2nd time around to possibly catch some of
> the above stuff, but that's not in the freeware version I use.

You can scan anytime you want to with either version.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
April 26, 2005 3:48:14 PM

So you find TU next to useless? Or you use it as a first step, and if
that doesn't work fall back on Ghost? (It sounds like you still have it
installed)

Lee wrote:
> TU would be totally helpless to monitor dll files selfregistering AFTER
> they were installed and so would not record those registry entries
> created when running an app for the first time - IF the app and dll
> files for it were written to 'install' like that. Unless you knew that
> before hand and ran TU's second scan at the right time to catch that
> aspect. I'm thinking TU doesn't unregister any files and so likewise
> you could end up with some trash in the registry pointing to files that
> don't exist anymore? This situation might lead to 'can't find xyz.dll
> file' at bootup error messages or worse? I wouldn't give TU any more
> credit than a systems recorder for that moment that it records the
> system. The more complicated the install, the greater chance something
> might slip by TU. Foolproof it's not and by quite a bit too. It would
> be nice to have the option to rescan the system again the 2nd time
> around to possibly catch some of the above stuff, but that's not in the
> freeware version I use.
>
> Norton's Ghost runs from a floppy which is nice in those blue screen
> situations. The image file that one uses to restore Windows from won't
> fit on a floppy though. There are other very good imaging software
> packages out there, don't be sold only on Ghost. Reimaging is the
> fastest and bestest way to get to where you once were. Every body who
> trys it says the same thing.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:24:47 PM

"Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Norton's Ghost runs from a floppy which is nice in those blue screen
> situations. The image file that one uses to restore Windows from won't
> fit on a floppy though. There are other very good imaging software
> packages out there, don't be sold only on Ghost. Reimaging is the
> fastest and bestest way to get to where you once were. Every body who
> trys it says the same thing.

I've never had a problem with Ghost. All machines images are created on a
partition (volume) on the same/separate drive, network/external drives and
removable media. I copy Ghost.exe and ghreboot.exe to each drive/partition
(volume) used for images, and add a line in the autoexec.bat on the each Ghost
boot disk/s to point to the particular path where the images/Ghost.exe are
located. This way if one machine goes AWOL, I have the option of several Ghost
boot disks in which to get to an image for restore. I use Ghost 2003 and have
ver. 9 sitting on the side ( haven't a need to upgrade ), both of which can
create/restore NTFS which earlier versions couldn't.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:30:57 PM

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o AjUMViSFHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Interesting. Which version of TU? (I'm assuming even the newer
> shareware version 3.x wasn't able to find all the references. I have a
> copy of the freeware version (2.x) saved here on my HD, but haven't
> installed it yet. The price was right, though (free).

ver. 2.34.

> I also have Nero6 OEM, Brian. I'm not quite sure why you were
> uninstalling it though. Nero didn't work out for you?

It only had Express and Design Cover w/no way to use/acess Burning ROM, so I
decided to upgrade.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:30:58 PM

Well, maybe mine isn't OEM, or the same OEM after all. I got it with the
Memorex DVD burner, and it seems to have everything included.

Actually, the CD says Nero 6 Memorex Suite, so it must be different than
what you originally had. But it sounds like you have it now.

Brian A. wrote:
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o AjUMViSFHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Interesting. Which version of TU? (I'm assuming even the newer
>> shareware version 3.x wasn't able to find all the references. I have
>> copy of the freeware version (2.x) saved here on my HD, but haven't
>> installed it yet. The price was right, though (free).
>
> ver. 2.34.
>

>> I also have Nero6 OEM, Brian. I'm not quite sure why you were
>> uninstalling it though. Nero didn't work out for you?
>
> It only had Express and Design Cover w/no way to use/acess Burning ROM,
so I
> decided to upgrade.
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:46:23 PM

news:o LbxBPlSFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The entries found after uninstalling with TUN are ones that were created after
> the
> first run of Nero....and likely AFTER TUN had completed monitoring. It is
> important
> to keep TUN monitoring until after the first run of the installed app, or else
> make
> two runs of TUN....one for the initial install, and a second for the first run
> of
> the app. This is not a fault of TUN....any sizeable app will create reg
> entries and
> files upon first run.

I don't fully disagree but when I ran the install/monitored, I ran it all the
way thru the registration of Nero and opened each of Nero's apps in case I had
to register them, then I let TUN know the install was finished and to record the
changes, I consider that a first run of the Nero apps. I then rebooted the
machine as I do after every install. It may be possible after the reboot and
cleaning of temps more was written to the registry although I saw no sign of it.
Then I ran the uninstall and the log showed only one type of error:
ERROR (has sub-keys)

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:53:06 PM

Nero express is nero burning rom
there is a menu choice in the expanded menus when you click <MORE> on the
express screen
IF you have registered the software, and entered the unlock code

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o AjUMViSFHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Interesting. Which version of TU? (I'm assuming even the newer
> > shareware version 3.x wasn't able to find all the references. I have
> > copy of the freeware version (2.x) saved here on my HD, but haven't
> > installed it yet. The price was right, though (free).
>
> ver. 2.34.
>

> > I also have Nero6 OEM, Brian. I'm not quite sure why you were
> > uninstalling it though. Nero didn't work out for you?
>
> It only had Express and Design Cover w/no way to use/acess Burning ROM,
so I
> decided to upgrade.
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:53:07 PM

Sorry, but the OEM version was registered and there was no choice in "More",
StartSmart or the Nero button in Nero Express. The help files and IIRC Nero's
site mentioned clicking the Nero button to switch to Burning ROM. Clicking the
button offered links to their site and that's it.

--

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Nero express is nero burning rom
> there is a menu choice in the expanded menus when you click <MORE> on the
> express screen
> IF you have registered the software, and entered the unlock code
>
> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
>
> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> _
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> news:o AjUMViSFHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> > Interesting. Which version of TU? (I'm assuming even the newer
>> > shareware version 3.x wasn't able to find all the references. I have
>> > copy of the freeware version (2.x) saved here on my HD, but haven't
>> > installed it yet. The price was right, though (free).
>>
>> ver. 2.34.
>>

>> > I also have Nero6 OEM, Brian. I'm not quite sure why you were
>> > uninstalling it though. Nero didn't work out for you?
>>
>> It only had Express and Design Cover w/no way to use/acess Burning ROM,
> so I
>> decided to upgrade.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:29:08 AM

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o 38b$DqSFHA.2256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> news:o LbxBPlSFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > The entries found after uninstalling with TUN are ones that were created after
> > the
> > first run of Nero....and likely AFTER TUN had completed monitoring. It is
> > important
> > to keep TUN monitoring until after the first run of the installed app, or else
> > make
> > two runs of TUN....one for the initial install, and a second for the first run
> > of
> > the app. This is not a fault of TUN....any sizeable app will create reg
> > entries and
> > files upon first run.
>
> I don't fully disagree but when I ran the install/monitored, I ran it all the
> way thru the registration of Nero and opened each of Nero's apps in case I had
> to register them, then I let TUN know the install was finished and to record the
> changes, I consider that a first run of the Nero apps. I then rebooted the
> machine as I do after every install. It may be possible after the reboot and
> cleaning of temps more was written to the registry although I saw no sign of it.
> Then I ran the uninstall and the log showed only one type of error:
> ERROR (has sub-keys)

Apparently you (and Lee) do not run TUN the same way I do. When I monitor, I do not
leave TUN running in the background. I choose the option of "Installing more than
one app", and it exits, writing itself into the Run key of the Registry for one
reboot, where it will then start whenever that reboot is, to allow you to finish
monitoring. If I want to monitor longer than one reboot, I will remove it from the
Run key and manually re-open TUN when I am ready to finish monitoring and create the
report.

As you are no doubt aware, Brian, programs do add registry info and even sub-keys at
other times than just during their installation and initial run. Short of restoring
an image, there can be no guarantee of any app being able to totally revert your
system to a previous state. TUN does a rather good job and does give a full report
of what has changed during the monitoring period.

I would like to see specifically what was left behind after allowing TUN to remove
what it monitored in the install and the first run, if you don't mind and if you
still have the report or log. You can email it to me rather than posting it here.
:-)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:29:09 AM

This program sounds like a bit of a pain to use. Think I'll pass on it...
Of course, even Ghost would be a pain if you had to keep saving images
everytime you installed anything.

glee wrote:
> [...]
am
> ready to finish monitoring and create the report.
>
> As you are no doubt aware, Brian, programs do add registry info and even
> sub-keys at other times than just during their installation and initial
run.
> Short of restoring an image, there can be no guarantee of any app being
able
> to totally revert your system to a previous state. TUN does a rather good
> job and does give a full report of what has changed during the monitoring
> period.
>
> I would like to see specifically what was left behind after allowing TUN
> remove what it monitored in the install and the first run, if you don't
mind
> and if you still have the report or log. You can email it to me rather
April 27, 2005 2:36:53 AM

The OEM version you had (and they all differ by company) was registered to use only
the "free" components....Nero Express and the Cover Designer. Trying to switch to
full Nero from the Nero button on Express in that situation will take you to their
web site to allow you to pay for an upgrade. At one time, some optical drive
manufacturers had a Nero version that gave you full use of all modules of their app,
but only on a drive from that manufacturer. My old TDK CD-RW drive gave me that
sort of version of Nero 5.5...it was full-featured on any TDK drive, but would not
work at all with another brand drive. Nero moved from that system to the current
one, where only Nero Express is unlocked and should work with any drive, IIRC.
--

> Sorry, but the OEM version was registered and there was no choice in "More",
> StartSmart or the Nero button in Nero Express. The help files and IIRC Nero's
> site mentioned clicking the Nero button to switch to Burning ROM. Clicking the
> button offered links to their site and that's it.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Nero express is nero burning rom
> > there is a menu choice in the expanded menus when you click <MORE> on the
> > express screen
> > IF you have registered the software, and entered the unlock code
> >
> > --
> > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> > spybot http://security.kolla.de
> > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> > Catalog of removal tools (1)
> > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> > Catalog of removal tools (2)
> > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
> > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
> >
> > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> > _
> > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> >> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> news:o AjUMViSFHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >>
> >> ver. 2.34.

> >> It only had Express and Design Cover w/no way to use/acess Burning ROM,
> > so I
> >> decided to upgrade.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian A. Sesko
> >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
> >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:47:23 AM

"Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> snip
> Norton's Ghost runs from a floppy which is nice in those blue screen
> situations. The image file that one uses to restore Windows from won't
> fit on a floppy though. There are other very good imaging software
> packages out there, don't be sold only on Ghost. Reimaging is the
> fastest and bestest way to get to where you once were. Every body who
> trys it says the same thing.

Imaging is the best way to travel, IMHO. ;-) I use one of the versions of Drive
Image that I have [which has now bought up and assimilated into Norton Ghost :-( ].
Other imaging apps I have trialed and found to work quite well, at significantly
lower cost than Ghost, are:

Image for Windows, and Image for DOS:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

R-Drive Image:
http://www.drive-image.com/
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:58:13 AM

The program is ridiculously easy to use. I am baffled as to why anyone is having
trouble understanding how it works. It is pretty self-explanatory. Try it for
yourself. I am using the prior version 2.x, which was a total freeware version, and
may account for the differences we are seeing:
Total Uninstall 2 - uninstall software:
http://www.martau.com/tu2.php

.....although it seems the current version 3.x works similarly....I have not tried it
yet:
http://www.martau.com/
--

> This program sounds like a bit of a pain to use. Think I'll pass on it...
> Of course, even Ghost would be a pain if you had to keep saving images
> everytime you installed anything.
>
> glee wrote:
> > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> > news:o 38b$DqSFHA.2256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> >> news:o LbxBPlSFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> is
> or
> first
> >>
> >> I don't fully disagree but when I ran the install/monitored, I ran it
> all
> >> the way thru the registration of Nero and opened each of Nero's apps in
> case
> >> I had to register them, then I let TUN know the install was finished and
> >> record the changes, I consider that a first run of the Nero apps. I then
> >> rebooted the machine as I do after every install. It may be possible
> after
> >> the reboot and cleaning of temps more was written to the registry
> although I
> >> saw no sign of it. Then I ran the uninstall and the log showed only one
> >> type of error:
> >> ERROR (has sub-keys)
> >
> > Apparently you (and Lee) do not run TUN the same way I do. When I
> monitor, I
> > do not leave TUN running in the background. I choose the option of
> > "Installing more than one app", and it exits, writing itself into the Run
> key
> > of the Registry for one reboot, where it will then start whenever that
> reboot
> > is, to allow you to finish monitoring. If I want to monitor longer than
> one
> > reboot, I will remove it from the Run key and manually re-open TUN when I
> am
> > ready to finish monitoring and create the report.
> >
> > As you are no doubt aware, Brian, programs do add registry info and even
> > sub-keys at other times than just during their installation and initial
> run.
> > Short of restoring an image, there can be no guarantee of any app being
> able
> > to totally revert your system to a previous state. TUN does a rather good
> > job and does give a full report of what has changed during the monitoring
> > period.
> >
> > I would like to see specifically what was left behind after allowing TUN
> > remove what it monitored in the install and the first run, if you don't
> mind
> > and if you still have the report or log. You can email it to me rather
> than
> > posting it here. :-)
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:31:42 AM

Now you have me thinking. The drive it came with is now in another machine,
I'll have to check and see if it has full functionality there. The uninstall
file doesn't really give much info yet I've copied it below. It actually only
shows 34 entries on the error mentioned. The 2 apps I used to scan the registry
are the ones that reported the amount of entries still present and I did not
save the bookmarks before removing the entries. I always run at the least the 2
reg editors for verification before removal of any entries. The 2 I used were
Registrar Lite and my preferred editor RegCommander.

TUN log file
============

Nero6 4/23/2005 2:29:49 AM
---------------------------------------
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroAudioType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroAudioType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDExtraType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDExtraType ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMBootType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMBootType ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMEFIBootType\shell ... ERROR
(has sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMEFIBootType ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMHybridType\shell ... ERROR
(has sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMHybridType ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroDVDVideoType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroDVDVideoType ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroHDBVideoType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroHDBVideoType ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroHFSType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroHFSType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroImageType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroImageType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NerominiDVDType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NerominiDVDType ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroMixedModeType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroMixedModeType ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroMP3Type\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroMP3Type ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroUDFISOType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroUDFISOType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroUDFType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroUDFType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroVideoType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroVideoType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroWMAType\shell ... ERROR (has
sub-keys)
DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroWMAType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
April 27, 2005 7:25:53 AM

Bill in Co. wrote:
> So you find TU next to useless? Or you use it as a first step,
and if
> that doesn't work fall back on Ghost? (It sounds like you still
have it
> installed)

Not at all. TU is quite useful for small and simple installations, but
you can't count on it like you can imaging. Bejeweled is one example
where I tried TU so I could reset the game play on the trial download
form of the Java game Bejeweled. TU can't roll me back to replay my 20
free games or whatever the count was. Ghost can.
http://zone.msn.com/bejeweled/
The online version is unlimited play and also a great Java test.

I have TU installed and Ghost is only on a floppy as NSW won't run with
ie 5.50 SP2 or somesuch without locking up the AV portion such that I
can't download AV definitions or surf without getting Scripting errors
every other page. Without NSW and all things Norton, I run fine. I
tend to not install anything that would require Ghost as a fix which is
probably the best policy?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:04:17 PM

glee wrote:
> The program is ridiculously easy to use. I am baffled as to why
> anyone is having trouble understanding how it works.

Me too.

The only thing one has to understand - and it isn't hard to do so - is
that it can only record what happened while it was monitoring.

In the case of the TUN uninstall log for Nero that was posted, all the
"errors" are because Nero wrote sub-keys *after* the monitoring. That
isn't the fault of TUN, it is a result of the way TUN was used.

Moreover, TUN behaved as it should when uninstalling by *not* removing
stuff it knew nothing about and reporting same in a nice list so the
user could remove them manually.

For me, TUN is the first program I would install after a format.
_____________

> ....although it seems the current version 3.x works similarly....I
> have not tried it yet:

Essentially the same but with bells & whistles. GUI is different, gives
a nicer display of changes I think...one can see either a summary (new)
or the detail (as in v2). It loads the files of previously monitored
apps *much* faster. Many more install/uninstall options. All in all, a
considerable improvement

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
April 27, 2005 3:30:01 PM

OK, I'll reconsider it. I'm just so used to backing up the registry,
running SFC, and using Windows Explorer to check on changed file dates and
times before and after most new software installations. And that's
(nearly always) been enough. And in the rare cases where it hasn't, and I
can't even run Windows in Safe Mode, well that's another story!

dadiOH wrote:
> glee wrote:
>> The program is ridiculously easy to use. I am baffled as to why
>> anyone is having trouble understanding how it works.
>
> Me too.
>
> The only thing one has to understand - and it isn't hard to do so - is
> that it can only record what happened while it was monitoring.
>
> In the case of the TUN uninstall log for Nero that was posted, all the
> "errors" are because Nero wrote sub-keys *after* the monitoring. That
> isn't the fault of TUN, it is a result of the way TUN was used.
>
> Moreover, TUN behaved as it should when uninstalling by *not* removing
> stuff it knew nothing about and reporting same in a nice list so the
> user could remove them manually.
>
> For me, TUN is the first program I would install after a format.
> _____________
>
>> ....although it seems the current version 3.x works similarly....I
>> have not tried it yet:
>

> Essentially the same but with bells & whistles. GUI is different, gives
> a nicer display of changes I think...one can see either a summary (new)
> or the detail (as in v2). It loads the files of previously monitored
> apps *much* faster. Many more install/uninstall options. All in all, a
> considerable improvement
>

> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
April 27, 2005 7:37:01 PM

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
> The only thing one has to understand - and it isn't hard to do so - is
> that it can only record what happened while it was monitoring.
>
> In the case of the TUN uninstall log for Nero that was posted, all the
> "errors" are because Nero wrote sub-keys *after* the monitoring. That
> isn't the fault of TUN, it is a result of the way TUN was used.

All of that "after the monitoring that's mentioned" and "apps first run" would
have to be after the the fact that I ran each and every Nero app installed
during the monitoring, including registering the app/s. Once the apps were
installed/run/registered/monitored, the machine was rebooted as stated and TUN
uninstall was used to remove the apps.

> Moreover, TUN behaved as it should when uninstalling by *not* removing
> stuff it knew nothing about and reporting same in a nice list so the
> user could remove them manually.

Since the apps were never run again before uninstalling with TUN, TUN should
have known about them, furthermore, TUN's log only showed 43 subkeys. Are you
saying that the 400+ entries found by my reg editors were all contained in those
sub keys? I can't answer that because as mentioned I didn't keep a bookmark of
the entries. BTW, I do have TUN set to monitor the entire registry, C: and D:.

> For me, TUN is the first program I would install after a format.

Once the OS is installed, Ghost is first followed by antivirus > winupdates and
then any other apps.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:46:50 AM

Don't have time to dig for it all right now, but IIRC registry values and data may
be added to some Nero registry sub-keys even during times when Nero is not started,
but the operating system is restarted. I seem to recall it involving enumeration at
boot up, or the callback table. Anyway, it may be that these registry entries were
written after the first run, even though the app was not run again.

As for 400 entries in 43 sub-keys....sure, that's not unusual. Are you saying that
they were not removed, or are you saying merely that they existed at some point
prior to uninstall?
--

news:o U7RYj2SFHA.2432@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
> > The only thing one has to understand - and it isn't hard to do so - is
> > that it can only record what happened while it was monitoring.
> >
> > In the case of the TUN uninstall log for Nero that was posted, all the
> > "errors" are because Nero wrote sub-keys *after* the monitoring. That
> > isn't the fault of TUN, it is a result of the way TUN was used.
>
> All of that "after the monitoring that's mentioned" and "apps first run" would
> have to be after the the fact that I ran each and every Nero app installed
> during the monitoring, including registering the app/s. Once the apps were
> installed/run/registered/monitored, the machine was rebooted as stated and TUN
> uninstall was used to remove the apps.
>

> > Moreover, TUN behaved as it should when uninstalling by *not* removing
> > stuff it knew nothing about and reporting same in a nice list so the
> > user could remove them manually.
>
> Since the apps were never run again before uninstalling with TUN, TUN should
> have known about them, furthermore, TUN's log only showed 43 subkeys. Are you
> saying that the 400+ entries found by my reg editors were all contained in those
> sub keys? I can't answer that because as mentioned I didn't keep a bookmark of
> the entries. BTW, I do have TUN set to monitor the entire registry, C: and D:.
>

> > For me, TUN is the first program I would install after a format.
>
> Once the OS is installed, Ghost is first followed by antivirus > winupdates and
> then any other apps.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 6:29:41 PM

news:o CbF33GTFHA.336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Don't have time to dig for it all right now, but IIRC registry values and data
> may
> be added to some Nero registry sub-keys even during times when Nero is not
> started,
> but the operating system is restarted. I seem to recall it involving
> enumeration at
> boot up, or the callback table. Anyway, it may be that these registry entries
> were
> written after the first run, even though the app was not run again.

That makes sense to me, I believe without looking back I mentioned the restart
as a possible cause.

> As for 400 entries in 43 sub-keys....sure, that's not unusual. Are you saying
> that
> they were not removed, or are you saying merely that they existed at some
> point
> prior to uninstall?

Without my bookmarking them in the reg apps I used, I can't say if they were in
the subkeys or not. TUN's log doesn't go that deep as to say, and no, they
weren't removed until I removed them. I do know the subkeys were in
hklm\software\nero.

--

!