Reinstalling Windows

I did it again. Me and my tests of shareware!! One step beyond, and
blue screen at the ok corral (no, registry backups were not helpful in this
case).

But .... "it's an ill wind that blows no good". Got a clean system
(again), and besides that, I learned the hard way how to get back my OE mail
and news rules. A bit of a pain in the butt, but it was worth it. I
think.....
34 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling windows

    (Updated with more info below...)

    Bill in Co. wrote:
    > I did it again. Me and my tests of shareware!! One step beyond, and
    > blue screen at the ok corral (no, registry backups were not helpful in
    this
    > case).
    >
    > But .... "it's an ill wind that blows no good". Got a clean system
    > (again), and besides that, I learned the hard way how to get back my OE
    mail
    > and news rules. A bit of a pain in the butt, but it was worth it. I
    > think.....

    Well, on rereading this again, this was not very informative, so let me add
    in some corrections and notes:

    It wasn't shareware - it was a freeware utility program that was *supposed
    to* give you some nice system info on your system. The program name was:
    Info Bag Pro. DON'T try it!

    It used a MSI file to install itself. What it then did was install some
    OCX and VXD files that rendered my system next to useless, viz, "Explorer
    has caused a page fault..." (etc, etc, etc) anytime you used Windows
    Explorer (which made it next to impossible to uninstall it).

    But. as I said, I learned something else in the process: how to use regedit
    in DOS mode to export the (previously saved) good registry as a reg (text)
    file. That allowed me to find my old OE Mail and News Rules key info,
    which I then reregistered (after first updating the CLSID user key name) in
    my current registry.

    Note: to whom it may concern: if you ever have to do this, be damn sure you
    first run SMARTDRV before attempting to export your old registry system and
    user data files (from a previously saved cabinet) into a new reg (text)
    file, to find the desired key info. Otherwise you'll be there at the DOS
    prompt for hours.

    Bill in Co. wrote:

    > It used a MSI file to install itself. What it then did was install
    > some OCX and VXD files that rendered my system next to useless, viz,
    > "Explorer has caused a page fault..." (etc, etc, etc) anytime you
    > used Windows Explorer (which made it next to impossible to uninstall
    > it).
    >
    > But. as I said, I learned something else in the process: how to use
    > regedit in DOS mode to export the (previously saved) good registry as
    > a reg (text) file. That allowed me to find my old OE Mail and News
    > Rules key info, which I then reregistered (after first updating the
    > CLSID user key name) in my current registry.

    Lots easier to just use Total Uninstall.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    Bill in Co. wrote:
    > I did it again. Me and my tests of shareware!! One step
    > beyond, and blue screen at the ok corral (no, registry backups were
    > not helpful in this case).
    >
    > But .... "it's an ill wind that blows no good". Got a clean
    > system (again), and besides that, I learned the hard way how to get
    > back my OE mail and news rules. A bit of a pain in the butt, but it
    > was worth it. I think.....

    GoBack. Speaking from experience: an Inept Power User's dream, .

    Interesting. I just looked it up. Two versions: one free, the newer one
    is shareware.

    How effective is Total Uninstall in all cases? Surely it's not as
    effective as Go Back or Ghost? Probably wouldn't save you if you were
    stuck at the Blue Screen level, I'd guess.

    dadiOH wrote:
    > Bill in Co. wrote:
    >
    >> It used a MSI file to install itself. What it then did was install
    >> some OCX and VXD files that rendered my system next to useless, viz,
    >> "Explorer has caused a page fault..." (etc, etc, etc) anytime you
    >> used Windows Explorer (which made it next to impossible to uninstall
    >> it).
    >>
    >> But. as I said, I learned something else in the process: how to use
    >> regedit in DOS mode to export the (previously saved) good registry as
    >> a reg (text) file. That allowed me to find my old OE Mail and News
    >> Rules key info, which I then reregistered (after first updating the
    >> CLSID user key name) in my current registry.
    >
    > Lots easier to just use Total Uninstall.
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    That's one of the main purposes I use Ghost. I always create an image before
    any new installation, if something goes bang or I find I don't like the app I
    then restore the pre-install image. I use TotalUninstall to monitor all app
    installs which also creates an uninstall file should I wish to remove the app.
    If the app is installed for a number of days before I decide I don't like/want
    it, then I uninstall it with either Add/Remove, the apps uninstaller or
    TotalUninstall. After uninstalling the app I then use any number of registry
    editors to seek/remove any errant left-behinds.

    Two apps I use aside from/along with regedit, which NO ONE THAT IS NOT
    FAMILIARIZED OR EXPERIENCED with registry editing should ever use or even
    attempt to edit the registry.

    Reg Commander
    Registrar Lite

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I did it again. Me and my tests of shareware!! One step beyond, and
    > blue screen at the ok corral (no, registry backups were not helpful in this
    > case).
    >
    > But .... "it's an ill wind that blows no good". Got a clean system
    > (again), and besides that, I learned the hard way how to get back my OE mail
    > and news rules. A bit of a pain in the butt, but it was worth it. I
    > think.....

    Definitely not as effective as an image. However, AFAIK it works well in
    removing folders/files in Windows. It may not remove all registry keys for some
    particular purpose when uninstalling some apps, but not to worry, TU creates a
    log containing any reg keys not removed and why. You then make the choice on if
    you should remove them or not.

    The one thing to keep an eye on is anything done after the monitoring is
    finished will not be included in the uninstall or the log, in which case it
    becomes a manual search and delete.

    --

    > Interesting. I just looked it up. Two versions: one free, the newer one
    > is shareware.
    >
    > How effective is Total Uninstall in all cases? Surely it's not as
    > effective as Go Back or Ghost? Probably wouldn't save you if you were
    > stuck at the Blue Screen level, I'd guess.
    >
    > dadiOH wrote:
    >> Bill in Co. wrote:
    >>
    >>> It used a MSI file to install itself. What it then did was install
    >>> some OCX and VXD files that rendered my system next to useless, viz,
    >>> "Explorer has caused a page fault..." (etc, etc, etc) anytime you
    >>> used Windows Explorer (which made it next to impossible to uninstall
    >>> it).
    >>>
    >>> But. as I said, I learned something else in the process: how to use
    >>> regedit in DOS mode to export the (previously saved) good registry as
    >>> a reg (text) file. That allowed me to find my old OE Mail and News
    >>> Rules key info, which I then reregistered (after first updating the
    >>> CLSID user key name) in my current registry.
    >>
    >> Lots easier to just use Total Uninstall.
    >>
    >> --
    >> dadiOH
    >> ____________________________
    >>
    >> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    >> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    >> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    >> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

    What about if some app (like that bad one I mentioned) had installed some
    bad OCX and VxD files - could it also fix those errors? To do so, it
    would have to "unregister" them in the registry AND any and all screwed up
    associations with those files. That might be a tall order for this
    program, right?

    Bill in Co. wrote:
    > What about if some app (like that bad one I mentioned) had installed
    > some bad OCX and VxD files - could it also fix those errors?

    They would be deleted. What it can't do is replace previously existing
    files that were overwritten.

    What it does...

    Registry
    created keys will be deleted
    deleted keys will be created
    created values will be deleted
    deleted values will be created
    modified values will be restored

    File System
    created folders will be deleted
    created files will be deleted
    _______________________

    You asked in another post how it compares to GoBack & Ghost. Ghost is
    an imager, different thing. The "change fle" that TUN produces is
    generally smallish...most are well under 100KB. Most. The one for
    dotNET is 1,904KB, VB is 964KB.

    It is good for more than monitoring installs. You can use it while
    browsing suspect sites, for monitoring whatever sort of change is made
    to your system by whatever, to find where some program is stashing
    files...anything.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    OK, so let me go out on a limb here, and play devil's advocate. As long as
    we aren't missing the proper files on the HD, TUN *will* be able to recover
    from just about any software malignancy we throw at it (due to some freeware
    or shareware being poorly designed)?

    I guess that would be true even if we were stuck in Safe Mode. If we
    couldn't even get to Safe Mode, we're probably hosed (assuming a registry
    restore doesn't cut it).

    dadiOH wrote:
    > Bill in Co. wrote:
    >> What about if some app (like that bad one I mentioned) had installed
    >> some bad OCX and VxD files - could it also fix those errors?
    >
    > They would be deleted. What it can't do is replace previously existing
    > files that were overwritten.
    >
    > What it does...
    >
    > Registry
    > created keys will be deleted
    > deleted keys will be created
    > created values will be deleted
    > deleted values will be created
    > modified values will be restored
    >
    > File System
    > created folders will be deleted
    > created files will be deleted
    > _______________________
    >
    > You asked in another post how it compares to GoBack & Ghost. Ghost is
    > an imager, different thing. The "change fle" that TUN produces is
    > generally smallish...most are well under 100KB. Most. The one for
    > dotNET is 1,904KB, VB is 964KB.
    >
    > It is good for more than monitoring installs. You can use it while
    > browsing suspect sites, for monitoring whatever sort of change is made
    > to your system by whatever, to find where some program is stashing
    > files...anything.
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    It may/may not, I'm not 100% sold on TU. What makes me leery is stated in one of
    my responses in another thread.

    Repeated here so you won't have to search it out.
    <quote>
    Figure I need to mention this for others:
    Within the past 48hrs I have uninstalled Nero OEM Express6 along with the very
    few app,( that's right, no s at the end ) that came with it. After Add/Remove,
    cleaning installation drive and everything I could find on C: I ran a registry
    check on Ahead and Nero. It came up with more than 750 entries left in the
    registry, all legit Nero which I removed. I then installed the updated version
    of what was wanted to the wrong drive purposely monitoring it with Total
    Uninstall. After installing, rebooting and clearing out all temps, I restarted
    TU and ran the uninstall to remove the Ahead/Nero apps installed. After TU was
    finished I ran the registry scan again and it came up with approx 450 entries.
    We are talking about a major app that doesn't have a very good
    uninstall/cleanup.
    </quote>

    --

    > What about if some app (like that bad one I mentioned) had installed some
    > bad OCX and VxD files - could it also fix those errors? To do so, it
    > would have to "unregister" them in the registry AND any and all screwed up
    > associations with those files. That might be a tall order for this
    > program, right?
    >
    > Brian A. wrote:
    >> Definitely not as effective as an image. However, AFAIK it works well in
    >> removing folders/files in Windows. It may not remove all registry keys for
    >> some particular purpose when uninstalling some apps, but not to worry, TU
    >> creates a log containing any reg keys not removed and why. You then make
    > the
    >> choice on if you should remove them or not.
    >>
    >> The one thing to keep an eye on is anything done after the monitoring is
    >> finished will not be included in the uninstall or the log, in which case
    > it
    >> becomes a manual search and delete.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Brian A. Sesko
    >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Interesting. I just looked it up. Two versions: one free, the newer
    > one
    >>> is shareware.
    >>>
    >>> How effective is Total Uninstall in all cases? Surely it's not as
    >>> effective as Go Back or Ghost? Probably wouldn't save you if you were
    >>> stuck at the Blue Screen level, I'd guess.

    Interesting. Which version of TU? (I'm assuming even the newer
    shareware version 3.x wasn't able to find all the references. I have a
    copy of the freeware version (2.x) saved here on my HD, but haven't
    installed it yet. The price was right, though (free).

    I also have Nero6 OEM, Brian. I'm not quite sure why you were
    uninstalling it though. Nero didn't work out for you?

    At any rate, that's not encouraging news. I guess Go Back is always an
    option, but I was hoping for something a little more "lightweight".

    Brian A. wrote:
    > It may/may not, I'm not 100% sold on TU. What makes me leery is stated in
    one
    > of my responses in another thread.
    >
    > Repeated here so you won't have to search it out.
    > <quote>
    > Figure I need to mention this for others:
    > Within the past 48hrs I have uninstalled Nero OEM Express6 along with the
    > very few app,( that's right, no s at the end ) that came with it. After
    > Add/Remove, cleaning installation drive and everything I could find on C:
    > ran a registry check on Ahead and Nero. It came up with more than 750
    entries
    > left in the registry, all legit Nero which I removed. I then installed the
    > updated version of what was wanted to the wrong drive purposely monitoring
    it
    > with Total Uninstall. After installing, rebooting and clearing out all
    temps,
    > I restarted TU and ran the uninstall to remove the Ahead/Nero apps
    installed.
    > After TU was finished I ran the registry scan again and it came up with
    > approx 450 entries. We are talking about a major app that doesn't have a
    very
    > good uninstall/cleanup.
    > </quote>
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> What about if some app (like that bad one I mentioned) had installed some
    >> bad OCX and VxD files - could it also fix those errors? To do so, it
    >> would have to "unregister" them in the registry AND any and all screwed
    up
    >> associations with those files. That might be a tall order for this
    >> program, right?
    >>
    >> Brian A. wrote:
    >>> Definitely not as effective as an image. However, AFAIK it works well in
    >>> removing folders/files in Windows. It may not remove all registry keys
    for
    >>> some particular purpose when uninstalling some apps, but not to worry,
    TU
    >>> creates a log containing any reg keys not removed and why. You then make
    >> the
    >>> choice on if you should remove them or not.
    >>>
    >>> The one thing to keep an eye on is anything done after the monitoring
    is
    >>> finished will not be included in the uninstall or the log, in which case
    >> it
    >>> becomes a manual search and delete.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Brian A. Sesko
    >>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    TU would be totally helpless to monitor dll files selfregistering AFTER
    they were installed and so would not record those registry entries
    created when running an app for the first time - IF the app and dll
    files for it were written to 'install' like that. Unless you knew that
    before hand and ran TU's second scan at the right time to catch that
    aspect. I'm thinking TU doesn't unregister any files and so likewise
    you could end up with some trash in the registry pointing to files that
    don't exist anymore? This situation might lead to 'can't find xyz.dll
    file' at bootup error messages or worse? I wouldn't give TU any more
    credit than a systems recorder for that moment that it records the
    system. The more complicated the install, the greater chance something
    might slip by TU. Foolproof it's not and by quite a bit too. It would
    be nice to have the option to rescan the system again the 2nd time
    around to possibly catch some of the above stuff, but that's not in the
    freeware version I use.

    Norton's Ghost runs from a floppy which is nice in those blue screen
    situations. The image file that one uses to restore Windows from won't
    fit on a floppy though. There are other very good imaging software
    packages out there, don't be sold only on Ghost. Reimaging is the
    fastest and bestest way to get to where you once were. Every body who
    trys it says the same thing.

    The entries found after uninstalling with TUN are ones that were created after the
    first run of Nero....and likely AFTER TUN had completed monitoring. It is important
    to keep TUN monitoring until after the first run of the installed app, or else make
    two runs of TUN....one for the initial install, and a second for the first run of
    the app. This is not a fault of TUN....any sizeable app will create reg entries and
    files upon first run.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Brian A. wrote:
    > It may/may not, I'm not 100% sold on TU. What makes me leery is
    > stated in one of my responses in another thread.
    >
    > Repeated here so you won't have to search it out.
    > <quote>
    > Figure I need to mention this for others:
    > Within the past 48hrs I have uninstalled Nero OEM Express6 along
    > with the very few app,( that's right, no s at the end ) that came
    > with it. After Add/Remove, cleaning installation drive and everything
    > I could find on C: I ran a registry check on Ahead and Nero. It came
    > up with more than 750 entries left in the registry, all legit Nero
    > which I removed. I then installed the updated version of what was
    > wanted to the wrong drive purposely monitoring it with Total
    > Uninstall. After installing, rebooting and clearing out all temps, I
    > restarted TU and ran the uninstall to remove the Ahead/Nero apps
    > installed. After TU was finished I ran the registry scan again and it
    > came up with approx 450 entries. We are talking about a major app
    > that doesn't have a very good uninstall/cleanup. </quote>

    1. TUN can only remove what was monitored. If a program is run, its
    options set up, etc post monitoring and it make reg entries, those
    changes can't be removed. Obviously :)

    2. Exactly *what* is removed depends on what options you have set in TUN

    3. It really isn't very hard for a program like TUN to compare a before
    and after registry and pick out the changes, sure isn't going to miss
    anything.

    4. I sure agree with you about apps (major or not) not cleaning up
    after themselves. Which is why I love TUN :)

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    Lee wrote:
    > TU would be totally helpless to monitor dll files selfregistering
    > AFTER they were installed and so would not record those registry
    > entries created when running an app for the first time

    One runs the app post install while the monitoring is still in process.
    Ditto setting up options in the app.
    ________________

    > I'm thinking TU doesn't unregister any files and
    > so likewise you could end up with some trash in the registry pointing
    > to files that don't exist anymore?

    It decrements the file's counter; if the counter goes to zero (no other
    apps using it) it is deleted.
    _________________

    > It would be nice to have the option to
    > rescan the system again the 2nd time around to possibly catch some of
    > the above stuff, but that's not in the freeware version I use.

    You can scan anytime you want to with either version.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    So you find TU next to useless? Or you use it as a first step, and if
    that doesn't work fall back on Ghost? (It sounds like you still have it
    installed)

    "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message

    > Norton's Ghost runs from a floppy which is nice in those blue screen
    > situations. The image file that one uses to restore Windows from won't
    > fit on a floppy though. There are other very good imaging software
    > packages out there, don't be sold only on Ghost. Reimaging is the
    > fastest and bestest way to get to where you once were. Every body who
    > trys it says the same thing.

    I've never had a problem with Ghost. All machines images are created on a
    partition (volume) on the same/separate drive, network/external drives and
    removable media. I copy Ghost.exe and ghreboot.exe to each drive/partition
    (volume) used for images, and add a line in the autoexec.bat on the each Ghost
    boot disk/s to point to the particular path where the images/Ghost.exe are
    located. This way if one machine goes AWOL, I have the option of several Ghost
    boot disks in which to get to an image for restore. I use Ghost 2003 and have
    ver. 9 sitting on the side ( haven't a need to upgrade ), both of which can
    create/restore NTFS which earlier versions couldn't.

    --

    > Interesting. Which version of TU? (I'm assuming even the newer
    > shareware version 3.x wasn't able to find all the references. I have a
    > copy of the freeware version (2.x) saved here on my HD, but haven't
    > installed it yet. The price was right, though (free).

    ver. 2.34.

    > I also have Nero6 OEM, Brian. I'm not quite sure why you were
    > uninstalling it though. Nero didn't work out for you?

    It only had Express and Design Cover w/no way to use/acess Burning ROM, so I
    decided to upgrade.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Well, maybe mine isn't OEM, or the same OEM after all. I got it with the
    Memorex DVD burner, and it seems to have everything included.

    Actually, the CD says Nero 6 Memorex Suite, so it must be different than
    what you originally had. But it sounds like you have it now.

    Brian A. wrote:
    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Interesting. Which version of TU? (I'm assuming even the newer
    >> shareware version 3.x wasn't able to find all the references. I have
    >> copy of the freeware version (2.x) saved here on my HD, but haven't
    >> installed it yet. The price was right, though (free).
    >
    > ver. 2.34.
    >

    >> I also have Nero6 OEM, Brian. I'm not quite sure why you were
    >> uninstalling it though. Nero didn't work out for you?
    >
    > It only had Express and Design Cover w/no way to use/acess Burning ROM,
    so I
    > decided to upgrade.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > The entries found after uninstalling with TUN are ones that were created after
    > the
    > first run of Nero....and likely AFTER TUN had completed monitoring. It is
    > important
    > to keep TUN monitoring until after the first run of the installed app, or else
    > make
    > two runs of TUN....one for the initial install, and a second for the first run
    > of
    > the app. This is not a fault of TUN....any sizeable app will create reg
    > entries and
    > files upon first run.

    I don't fully disagree but when I ran the install/monitored, I ran it all the
    way thru the registration of Nero and opened each of Nero's apps in case I had
    to register them, then I let TUN know the install was finished and to record the
    changes, I consider that a first run of the Nero apps. I then rebooted the
    machine as I do after every install. It may be possible after the reboot and
    cleaning of temps more was written to the registry although I saw no sign of it.
    Then I ran the uninstall and the log showed only one type of error:
    ERROR (has sub-keys)

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Nero express is nero burning rom
    there is a menu choice in the expanded menus when you click <MORE> on the
    express screen
    IF you have registered the software, and entered the unlock code

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > Interesting. Which version of TU? (I'm assuming even the newer
    > > shareware version 3.x wasn't able to find all the references. I have
    > > copy of the freeware version (2.x) saved here on my HD, but haven't
    > > installed it yet. The price was right, though (free).
    >
    > ver. 2.34.
    >

    > > I also have Nero6 OEM, Brian. I'm not quite sure why you were
    > > uninstalling it though. Nero didn't work out for you?
    >
    > It only had Express and Design Cover w/no way to use/acess Burning ROM,
    so I
    > decided to upgrade.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Sorry, but the OEM version was registered and there was no choice in "More",
    StartSmart or the Nero button in Nero Express. The help files and IIRC Nero's
    site mentioned clicking the Nero button to switch to Burning ROM. Clicking the
    button offered links to their site and that's it.

    --

    "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Nero express is nero burning rom
    > there is a menu choice in the expanded menus when you click <MORE> on the
    > express screen
    > IF you have registered the software, and entered the unlock code
    >
    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
    >
    > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > _
    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> > Interesting. Which version of TU? (I'm assuming even the newer
    >> > shareware version 3.x wasn't able to find all the references. I have
    >> > copy of the freeware version (2.x) saved here on my HD, but haven't
    >> > installed it yet. The price was right, though (free).
    >>
    >> ver. 2.34.
    >>

    >> > I also have Nero6 OEM, Brian. I'm not quite sure why you were
    >> > uninstalling it though. Nero didn't work out for you?
    >>
    >> It only had Express and Design Cover w/no way to use/acess Burning ROM,
    > so I
    >> decided to upgrade.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Brian A. Sesko
    >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > > The entries found after uninstalling with TUN are ones that were created after
    > > the
    > > first run of Nero....and likely AFTER TUN had completed monitoring. It is
    > > important
    > > to keep TUN monitoring until after the first run of the installed app, or else
    > > make
    > > two runs of TUN....one for the initial install, and a second for the first run
    > > of
    > > the app. This is not a fault of TUN....any sizeable app will create reg
    > > entries and
    > > files upon first run.
    >
    > I don't fully disagree but when I ran the install/monitored, I ran it all the
    > way thru the registration of Nero and opened each of Nero's apps in case I had
    > to register them, then I let TUN know the install was finished and to record the
    > changes, I consider that a first run of the Nero apps. I then rebooted the
    > machine as I do after every install. It may be possible after the reboot and
    > cleaning of temps more was written to the registry although I saw no sign of it.
    > Then I ran the uninstall and the log showed only one type of error:
    > ERROR (has sub-keys)

    Apparently you (and Lee) do not run TUN the same way I do. When I monitor, I do not
    leave TUN running in the background. I choose the option of "Installing more than
    one app", and it exits, writing itself into the Run key of the Registry for one
    reboot, where it will then start whenever that reboot is, to allow you to finish
    monitoring. If I want to monitor longer than one reboot, I will remove it from the
    Run key and manually re-open TUN when I am ready to finish monitoring and create the
    report.

    As you are no doubt aware, Brian, programs do add registry info and even sub-keys at
    other times than just during their installation and initial run. Short of restoring
    an image, there can be no guarantee of any app being able to totally revert your
    system to a previous state. TUN does a rather good job and does give a full report
    of what has changed during the monitoring period.

    I would like to see specifically what was left behind after allowing TUN to remove
    what it monitored in the install and the first run, if you don't mind and if you
    still have the report or log. You can email it to me rather than posting it here.
    :-)
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    This program sounds like a bit of a pain to use. Think I'll pass on it...
    Of course, even Ghost would be a pain if you had to keep saving images
    everytime you installed anything.

    glee wrote:
> [...]
    am
    > ready to finish monitoring and create the report.
    >
    > As you are no doubt aware, Brian, programs do add registry info and even
    > sub-keys at other times than just during their installation and initial
    run.
    > Short of restoring an image, there can be no guarantee of any app being
    able
    > to totally revert your system to a previous state. TUN does a rather good
    > job and does give a full report of what has changed during the monitoring
    > period.
    >
    > I would like to see specifically what was left behind after allowing TUN
    > remove what it monitored in the install and the first run, if you don't
    mind
    > and if you still have the report or log. You can email it to me rather
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    The OEM version you had (and they all differ by company) was registered to use only
    the "free" components....Nero Express and the Cover Designer. Trying to switch to
    full Nero from the Nero button on Express in that situation will take you to their
    web site to allow you to pay for an upgrade. At one time, some optical drive
    manufacturers had a Nero version that gave you full use of all modules of their app,
    but only on a drive from that manufacturer. My old TDK CD-RW drive gave me that
    sort of version of Nero 5.5...it was full-featured on any TDK drive, but would not
    work at all with another brand drive. Nero moved from that system to the current
    one, where only Nero Express is unlocked and should work with any drive, IIRC.
    --

    > Sorry, but the OEM version was registered and there was no choice in "More",
    > StartSmart or the Nero button in Nero Express. The help files and IIRC Nero's
    > site mentioned clicking the Nero button to switch to Burning ROM. Clicking the
    > button offered links to their site and that's it.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Nero express is nero burning rom
    > > there is a menu choice in the expanded menus when you click <MORE> on the
    > > express screen
    > > IF you have registered the software, and entered the unlock code
    > >
    > > --
    > > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
    > >
    > > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > > _
    > > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > >> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> ver. 2.34.

    > >> It only had Express and Design Cover w/no way to use/acess Burning ROM,
    > > so I
    > >> decided to upgrade.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Brian A. Sesko
    > >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > snip
    > Norton's Ghost runs from a floppy which is nice in those blue screen
    > situations. The image file that one uses to restore Windows from won't
    > fit on a floppy though. There are other very good imaging software
    > packages out there, don't be sold only on Ghost. Reimaging is the
    > fastest and bestest way to get to where you once were. Every body who
    > trys it says the same thing.

    Imaging is the best way to travel, IMHO. ;-) I use one of the versions of Drive
    Image that I have [which has now bought up and assimilated into Norton Ghost :-( ].
    Other imaging apps I have trialed and found to work quite well, at significantly
    lower cost than Ghost, are:

    Image for Windows, and Image for DOS:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

    R-Drive Image:
    http://www.drive-image.com/
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    The program is ridiculously easy to use. I am baffled as to why anyone is having
    trouble understanding how it works. It is pretty self-explanatory. Try it for
    yourself. I am using the prior version 2.x, which was a total freeware version, and
    may account for the differences we are seeing:
    Total Uninstall 2 - uninstall software:
    http://www.martau.com/tu2.php

    .....although it seems the current version 3.x works similarly....I have not tried it
    yet:
    http://www.martau.com/
    --

    > This program sounds like a bit of a pain to use. Think I'll pass on it...
    > Of course, even Ghost would be a pain if you had to keep saving images
    > everytime you installed anything.
    >
    > glee wrote:
    > > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > is
    > or
    > first
    > >>
    > >> I don't fully disagree but when I ran the install/monitored, I ran it
    > all
    > >> the way thru the registration of Nero and opened each of Nero's apps in
    > case
    > >> I had to register them, then I let TUN know the install was finished and
    > >> record the changes, I consider that a first run of the Nero apps. I then
    > >> rebooted the machine as I do after every install. It may be possible
    > after
    > >> the reboot and cleaning of temps more was written to the registry
    > although I
    > >> saw no sign of it. Then I ran the uninstall and the log showed only one
    > >> type of error:
    > >> ERROR (has sub-keys)
    > >
    > > Apparently you (and Lee) do not run TUN the same way I do. When I
    > monitor, I
    > > do not leave TUN running in the background. I choose the option of
    > > "Installing more than one app", and it exits, writing itself into the Run
    > key
    > > of the Registry for one reboot, where it will then start whenever that
    > reboot
    > > is, to allow you to finish monitoring. If I want to monitor longer than
    > one
    > > reboot, I will remove it from the Run key and manually re-open TUN when I
    > am
    > > ready to finish monitoring and create the report.
    > >
    > > As you are no doubt aware, Brian, programs do add registry info and even
    > > sub-keys at other times than just during their installation and initial
    > run.
    > > Short of restoring an image, there can be no guarantee of any app being
    > able
    > > to totally revert your system to a previous state. TUN does a rather good
    > > job and does give a full report of what has changed during the monitoring
    > > period.
    > >
    > > I would like to see specifically what was left behind after allowing TUN
    > > remove what it monitored in the install and the first run, if you don't
    > mind
    > > and if you still have the report or log. You can email it to me rather
    > than
    > > posting it here. :-)
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Now you have me thinking. The drive it came with is now in another machine,
    I'll have to check and see if it has full functionality there. The uninstall
    file doesn't really give much info yet I've copied it below. It actually only
    shows 34 entries on the error mentioned. The 2 apps I used to scan the registry
    are the ones that reported the amount of entries still present and I did not
    save the bookmarks before removing the entries. I always run at the least the 2
    reg editors for verification before removal of any entries. The 2 I used were
    Registrar Lite and my preferred editor RegCommander.

    TUN log file
    ============

    Nero6 4/23/2005 2:29:49 AM
    ---------------------------------------
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroAudioType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroAudioType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDExtraType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDExtraType ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMBootType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMBootType ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMEFIBootType\shell ... ERROR
    (has sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMEFIBootType ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMHybridType\shell ... ERROR
    (has sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMHybridType ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroCDROMType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroDVDVideoType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroDVDVideoType ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroHDBVideoType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroHDBVideoType ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroHFSType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroHFSType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroImageType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroImageType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NerominiDVDType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NerominiDVDType ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroMixedModeType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroMixedModeType ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroMP3Type\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroMP3Type ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroUDFISOType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroUDFISOType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroUDFType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroUDFType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroVideoType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroVideoType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroWMAType\shell ... ERROR (has
    sub-keys)
    DELETING REGISTRY KEY: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\NeroWMAType ... ERROR (has sub-keys)

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Bill in Co. wrote:
    > So you find TU next to useless? Or you use it as a first step,
    and if
    > that doesn't work fall back on Ghost? (It sounds like you still
    have it
    > installed)

    Not at all. TU is quite useful for small and simple installations, but
    you can't count on it like you can imaging. Bejeweled is one example
    where I tried TU so I could reset the game play on the trial download
    form of the Java game Bejeweled. TU can't roll me back to replay my 20
    free games or whatever the count was. Ghost can.
    http://zone.msn.com/bejeweled/
    The online version is unlimited play and also a great Java test.

    I have TU installed and Ghost is only on a floppy as NSW won't run with
    ie 5.50 SP2 or somesuch without locking up the AV portion such that I
    can't download AV definitions or surf without getting Scripting errors
    every other page. Without NSW and all things Norton, I run fine. I
    tend to not install anything that would require Ghost as a fix which is
    probably the best policy?
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    glee wrote:
    > The program is ridiculously easy to use. I am baffled as to why
    > anyone is having trouble understanding how it works.

    Me too.

    The only thing one has to understand - and it isn't hard to do so - is
    that it can only record what happened while it was monitoring.

    In the case of the TUN uninstall log for Nero that was posted, all the
    "errors" are because Nero wrote sub-keys *after* the monitoring. That
    isn't the fault of TUN, it is a result of the way TUN was used.

    Moreover, TUN behaved as it should when uninstalling by *not* removing
    stuff it knew nothing about and reporting same in a nice list so the
    user could remove them manually.

    For me, TUN is the first program I would install after a format.
    _____________

    > ....although it seems the current version 3.x works similarly....I
    > have not tried it yet:

    Essentially the same but with bells & whistles. GUI is different, gives
    a nicer display of changes I think...one can see either a summary (new)
    or the detail (as in v2). It loads the files of previously monitored
    apps *much* faster. Many more install/uninstall options. All in all, a
    considerable improvement

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    OK, I'll reconsider it. I'm just so used to backing up the registry,
    running SFC, and using Windows Explorer to check on changed file dates and
    times before and after most new software installations. And that's
    (nearly always) been enough. And in the rare cases where it hasn't, and I
    can't even run Windows in Safe Mode, well that's another story!

    dadiOH wrote:
    > glee wrote:
    >> The program is ridiculously easy to use. I am baffled as to why
    >> anyone is having trouble understanding how it works.
    >
    > Me too.
    >
    > The only thing one has to understand - and it isn't hard to do so - is
    > that it can only record what happened while it was monitoring.
    >
    > In the case of the TUN uninstall log for Nero that was posted, all the
    > "errors" are because Nero wrote sub-keys *after* the monitoring. That
    > isn't the fault of TUN, it is a result of the way TUN was used.
    >
    > Moreover, TUN behaved as it should when uninstalling by *not* removing
    > stuff it knew nothing about and reporting same in a nice list so the
    > user could remove them manually.
    >
    > For me, TUN is the first program I would install after a format.
    > _____________
    >
    >> ....although it seems the current version 3.x works similarly....I
    >> have not tried it yet:
    >

    > Essentially the same but with bells & whistles. GUI is different, gives
    > a nicer display of changes I think...one can see either a summary (new)
    > or the detail (as in v2). It loads the files of previously monitored
    > apps *much* faster. Many more install/uninstall options. All in all, a
    > considerable improvement
    >

    > --
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
    > The only thing one has to understand - and it isn't hard to do so - is
    > that it can only record what happened while it was monitoring.
    >
    > In the case of the TUN uninstall log for Nero that was posted, all the
    > "errors" are because Nero wrote sub-keys *after* the monitoring. That
    > isn't the fault of TUN, it is a result of the way TUN was used.

    All of that "after the monitoring that's mentioned" and "apps first run" would
    have to be after the the fact that I ran each and every Nero app installed
    during the monitoring, including registering the app/s. Once the apps were
    installed/run/registered/monitored, the machine was rebooted as stated and TUN
    uninstall was used to remove the apps.

    > Moreover, TUN behaved as it should when uninstalling by *not* removing
    > stuff it knew nothing about and reporting same in a nice list so the
    > user could remove them manually.

    Since the apps were never run again before uninstalling with TUN, TUN should
    have known about them, furthermore, TUN's log only showed 43 subkeys. Are you
    saying that the 400+ entries found by my reg editors were all contained in those
    sub keys? I can't answer that because as mentioned I didn't keep a bookmark of
    the entries. BTW, I do have TUN set to monitor the entire registry, C: and D:.

    > For me, TUN is the first program I would install after a format.

    Once the OS is installed, Ghost is first followed by antivirus > winupdates and
    then any other apps.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Don't have time to dig for it all right now, but IIRC registry values and data may
    be added to some Nero registry sub-keys even during times when Nero is not started,
    but the operating system is restarted. I seem to recall it involving enumeration at
    boot up, or the callback table. Anyway, it may be that these registry entries were
    written after the first run, even though the app was not run again.

    As for 400 entries in 43 sub-keys....sure, that's not unusual. Are you saying that
    they were not removed, or are you saying merely that they existed at some point
    prior to uninstall?
    --

    > "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
    > > The only thing one has to understand - and it isn't hard to do so - is
    > > that it can only record what happened while it was monitoring.
    > >
    > > In the case of the TUN uninstall log for Nero that was posted, all the
    > > "errors" are because Nero wrote sub-keys *after* the monitoring. That
    > > isn't the fault of TUN, it is a result of the way TUN was used.
    >
    > All of that "after the monitoring that's mentioned" and "apps first run" would
    > have to be after the the fact that I ran each and every Nero app installed
    > during the monitoring, including registering the app/s. Once the apps were
    > installed/run/registered/monitored, the machine was rebooted as stated and TUN
    > uninstall was used to remove the apps.
    >

    > > Moreover, TUN behaved as it should when uninstalling by *not* removing
    > > stuff it knew nothing about and reporting same in a nice list so the
    > > user could remove them manually.
    >
    > Since the apps were never run again before uninstalling with TUN, TUN should
    > have known about them, furthermore, TUN's log only showed 43 subkeys. Are you
    > saying that the 400+ entries found by my reg editors were all contained in those
    > sub keys? I can't answer that because as mentioned I didn't keep a bookmark of
    > the entries. BTW, I do have TUN set to monitor the entire registry, C: and D:.
    >

    > > For me, TUN is the first program I would install after a format.
    >
    > Once the OS is installed, Ghost is first followed by antivirus > winupdates and
    > then any other apps.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Don't have time to dig for it all right now, but IIRC registry values and data
    > may
    > be added to some Nero registry sub-keys even during times when Nero is not
    > started,
    > but the operating system is restarted. I seem to recall it involving
    > enumeration at
    > boot up, or the callback table. Anyway, it may be that these registry entries
    > were
    > written after the first run, even though the app was not run again.

    That makes sense to me, I believe without looking back I mentioned the restart
    as a possible cause.

    > As for 400 entries in 43 sub-keys....sure, that's not unusual. Are you saying
    > that
    > they were not removed, or are you saying merely that they existed at some
    > point
    > prior to uninstall?

    Without my bookmarking them in the reg apps I used, I can't say if they were in
    the subkeys or not. TUN's log doesn't go that deep as to say, and no, they
    weren't removed until I removed them. I do know the subkeys were in
    hklm\software\nero.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }