Cant go to restart in MS-DOS mode

Hi All,
1. I cannot go to restart in MS-DOS mode to do FDisk. But I can only go to
MS-DOS prompt.
2. When doing FDisk in MS-DOS prompt, I can only delete logical drives &
Extended DOS Partition.
I cannot delete Primary DOS partition error message " ..... cannot lock the
drive"
3. I have done FDisk many times. This is the first time I encounter the
problem.

Please advice.
Thank you.
4 answers Last reply
More about cant restart mode

    You cannot run FDISK on your primary drive while Windows is running. Use a
    bootable floppy diskette if you need to run FDISK on the Windows
    partition/drive.

    "Francis Chew" <FrancisChew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > 1. I cannot go to restart in MS-DOS mode to do FDisk. But I can only go to
    > MS-DOS prompt.
    > 2. When doing FDisk in MS-DOS prompt, I can only delete logical drives &
    > Extended DOS Partition.
    > I cannot delete Primary DOS partition error message " ..... cannot lock
    > the
    > drive"
    > 3. I have done FDisk many times. This is the first time I encounter the
    > problem.
    >
    > Please advice.
    > Thank you.

    Stop and think about it!
    If you use either the MS-DOS prompt, or Restart is DOS mode, you are running
    out of windows on the C drive.
    Doing an FDisk from there is like asking someone to commit suicide. The C
    drive will not do that dumb thing to itself.
    You have to have control from another source. That is a Boot Disk.

    "Francis Chew" <FrancisChew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > 1. I cannot go to restart in MS-DOS mode to do FDisk. But I can only go to
    > MS-DOS prompt.
    > 2. When doing FDisk in MS-DOS prompt, I can only delete logical drives &
    > Extended DOS Partition.
    > I cannot delete Primary DOS partition error message " ..... cannot lock
    > the
    > drive"
    > 3. I have done FDisk many times. This is the first time I encounter the
    > problem.
    >
    > Please advice.
    > Thank you.

    > Hi All,
    > 1. I cannot go to restart in MS-DOS mode to do FDisk. But I can only go to
    > MS-DOS prompt.
    > 2. When doing FDisk in MS-DOS prompt, I can only delete logical drives &
    > Extended DOS Partition.
    > I cannot delete Primary DOS partition error message " ..... cannot lock the
    > drive"
    > 3. I have done FDisk many times. This is the first time I encounter the
    > problem.

    Boot to a floppy. See http://www.bootdisk.com/ if you need a bootdisk.

    Dan

    Hi Daniel,
    Is bootdisk taken from http://www.bootdisk.com and "StartUp" disk create
    from Window setup are the same.
    Please advice.

    Thks.

    "Daniel Hicks" wrote:

    > > Hi All,
    > > 1. I cannot go to restart in MS-DOS mode to do FDisk. But I can only go to
    > > MS-DOS prompt.
    > > 2. When doing FDisk in MS-DOS prompt, I can only delete logical drives &
    > > Extended DOS Partition.
    > > I cannot delete Primary DOS partition error message " ..... cannot lock the
    > > drive"
    > > 3. I have done FDisk many times. This is the first time I encounter the
    > > problem.
    >
    > Boot to a floppy. See http://www.bootdisk.com/ if you need a bootdisk.
    >
    > Dan

Fdisk MS-DOS Partition Windows