Cant go to restart in MS-DOS mode

Hi All,
1. I cannot go to restart in MS-DOS mode to do FDisk. But I can only go to
MS-DOS prompt.
2. When doing FDisk in MS-DOS prompt, I can only delete logical drives &
Extended DOS Partition.
I cannot delete Primary DOS partition error message " ..... cannot lock the
drive"
3. I have done FDisk many times. This is the first time I encounter the
problem.

Please advice.
Thank you.

You cannot run FDISK on your primary drive while Windows is running. Use a
bootable floppy diskette if you need to run FDISK on the Windows
partition/drive.

"Francis Chew" <FrancisChew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> 1. I cannot go to restart in MS-DOS mode to do FDisk. But I can only go to
> MS-DOS prompt.
> 2. When doing FDisk in MS-DOS prompt, I can only delete logical drives &
> Extended DOS Partition.
> I cannot delete Primary DOS partition error message " ..... cannot lock
> the
> drive"
> 3. I have done FDisk many times. This is the first time I encounter the
> problem.
>
> Please advice.
> Thank you.

Stop and think about it!
If you use either the MS-DOS prompt, or Restart is DOS mode, you are running
out of windows on the C drive.
Doing an FDisk from there is like asking someone to commit suicide. The C
drive will not do that dumb thing to itself.
You have to have control from another source. That is a Boot Disk.

"Francis Chew" <FrancisChew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> 1. I cannot go to restart in MS-DOS mode to do FDisk. But I can only go to
> MS-DOS prompt.
> 2. When doing FDisk in MS-DOS prompt, I can only delete logical drives &
> Extended DOS Partition.
> I cannot delete Primary DOS partition error message " ..... cannot lock
> the
> drive"
> 3. I have done FDisk many times. This is the first time I encounter the
> problem.
>
> Please advice.
> Thank you.

> Hi All,
> 1. I cannot go to restart in MS-DOS mode to do FDisk. But I can only go to
> MS-DOS prompt.
> 2. When doing FDisk in MS-DOS prompt, I can only delete logical drives &
> Extended DOS Partition.
> I cannot delete Primary DOS partition error message " ..... cannot lock the
> drive"
> 3. I have done FDisk many times. This is the first time I encounter the
> problem.

Boot to a floppy. See http://www.bootdisk.com/ if you need a bootdisk.

Dan

Hi Daniel,