Why do refilled HP carts just "die" for no apparent reason?

I own a HP Potosmart P1000. When taking out, refilling, and repalcing carts
I handle them with utmost care.

Nevertheless it happens that a the printer flashes "Snap in cartridge" or
"cartridge failed" upon replacing. This happens both with the C6578 cart and
the 51645 cart. Sometimes just opening the lip and not even taking out the
cart is enuff to make them fail. Yes, I have cleaned the contacts and have
removed the power cord for a minute or more.

Can one fill with too much ink? or too little? Is the there some kind of
chip inside the cart that can remember my evil doings?

Really mysterious as I am sure I am not physically damaging the cart.

With thanks

Søren
11 answers Last reply
More about refilled carts apparent reason

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 03:18:10 +0100, "Søren Larsen"
    <bcc13340a@post.cybercity.dk> wrote:

    >I own a HP Potosmart P1000. When taking out, refilling, and repalcing carts
    >I handle them with utmost care.
    >
    >Nevertheless it happens that a the printer flashes "Snap in cartridge" or
    >"cartridge failed" upon replacing. This happens both with the C6578 cart and
    >the 51645 cart. Sometimes just opening the lip and not even taking out the
    >cart is enuff to make them fail. Yes, I have cleaned the contacts and have
    >removed the power cord for a minute or more.
    >
    >Can one fill with too much ink? or too little? Is the there some kind of
    >chip inside the cart that can remember my evil doings?
    >
    >Really mysterious as I am sure I am not physically damaging the cart.
    >
    >With thanks
    >
    >Søren

    It's called Murph's Law.

    Buy new HP cartridges and try again when they get empty and your luck
    will change.

    DK

    Well, a few possibilities, but someone who knows the specific cartridge
    may know more.

    All laser drums are light sensitive, so do not expose them to bright
    light if at all possible. Most aren't horribly sensitive, but if
    possible, low level indirect light is safest if the drum will be exposed.

    Many printer companies have death chips or fuses built into their toner
    cartridges and other consumables to kill them after they empty or after
    a certain number of copies are reached.

    This should be illegal in my opinion. I'm not sure what HP might be
    doing in this case, but many printers will blow or damage a chip or
    fuse/link at a certain number of copies or if the toner cartridge goes
    empty. Nasty.

    You may be using an incorrect type of toner. There are hundreds. They
    can be VERY different in make up. Size of particles, types of plastics,
    thermal characteristics, magnetic properties, ionic charge, dyes or
    colorants used, etc. In general HP/Canon use a mixed developer toner
    which is magnetic, and very fine..

    Art

    Søren Larsen wrote:

    > I own a HP Potosmart P1000. When taking out, refilling, and repalcing carts
    > I handle them with utmost care.
    >
    > Nevertheless it happens that a the printer flashes "Snap in cartridge" or
    > "cartridge failed" upon replacing. This happens both with the C6578 cart and
    > the 51645 cart. Sometimes just opening the lip and not even taking out the
    > cart is enuff to make them fail. Yes, I have cleaned the contacts and have
    > removed the power cord for a minute or more.
    >
    > Can one fill with too much ink? or too little? Is the there some kind of
    > chip inside the cart that can remember my evil doings?
    >
    > Really mysterious as I am sure I am not physically damaging the cart.
    >
    > With thanks
    >
    > Søren

    Since the poster was talking about inkjet and not laser, most of this does
    not apply.
    Most often, the carts die because they were run empty. Always refill before
    they run out and they will last a lot longer.

    "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Well, a few possibilities, but someone who knows the specific cartridge
    > may know more.
    >
    > All laser drums are light sensitive, so do not expose them to bright
    > light if at all possible. Most aren't horribly sensitive, but if
    > possible, low level indirect light is safest if the drum will be exposed.
    >
    > Many printer companies have death chips or fuses built into their toner
    > cartridges and other consumables to kill them after they empty or after
    > a certain number of copies are reached.
    >
    > This should be illegal in my opinion. I'm not sure what HP might be
    > doing in this case, but many printers will blow or damage a chip or
    > fuse/link at a certain number of copies or if the toner cartridge goes
    > empty. Nasty.
    >
    > You may be using an incorrect type of toner. There are hundreds. They
    > can be VERY different in make up. Size of particles, types of plastics,
    > thermal characteristics, magnetic properties, ionic charge, dyes or
    > colorants used, etc. In general HP/Canon use a mixed developer toner
    > which is magnetic, and very fine..
    >
    > Art
    >
    > Søren Larsen wrote:
    >
    > > I own a HP Potosmart P1000. When taking out, refilling, and repalcing
    carts
    > > I handle them with utmost care.
    > >
    > > Nevertheless it happens that a the printer flashes "Snap in cartridge"
    or
    > > "cartridge failed" upon replacing. This happens both with the C6578 cart
    and
    > > the 51645 cart. Sometimes just opening the lip and not even taking out
    the
    > > cart is enuff to make them fail. Yes, I have cleaned the contacts and
    have
    > > removed the power cord for a minute or more.
    > >
    > > Can one fill with too much ink? or too little? Is the there some kind of
    > > chip inside the cart that can remember my evil doings?
    > >
    > > Really mysterious as I am sure I am not physically damaging the cart.
    > >
    > > With thanks
    > >
    > > Søren

    I'm fairly certain that neither the 45, nor the 78 have
    any sophisticated electronics inside. So the most
    likely scenario is that you ran the cartridge dry
    and burned up one or more rersistors, and the
    printer electronics can sense that.

    Some (all?) printers with the 78 may be able to
    count drops and store them in conjunction with
    the cartridge ID. You can erase this info if you
    have a few cartridges since it can remember only
    a very small number of cartridges, probably
    anywhere between 2 - 4.

    If you want to refill, you need to do it before you
    burn up the resistors (the ink cools them). I don't
    recommend you to refill the 45 (unless you can do
    it through the nozzles) since puncturing the spring
    bag can easily lead to leaks. In addition, replacement
    blacks may not dry as fast, and be as waterfast
    as the HP ink.

    "Søren Larsen" <bcc13340a@post.cybercity.dk> wrote in message
    > I own a HP Potosmart P1000. When taking out, refilling, and repalcing
    carts
    > I handle them with utmost care.
    >
    > Nevertheless it happens that a the printer flashes "Snap in cartridge" or
    > "cartridge failed" upon replacing. This happens both with the C6578 cart
    and
    > the 51645 cart. Sometimes just opening the lip and not even taking out the
    > cart is enuff to make them fail. Yes, I have cleaned the contacts and have
    > removed the power cord for a minute or more.
    >
    > Can one fill with too much ink? or too little? Is the there some kind of
    > chip inside the cart that can remember my evil doings?
    >
    > Really mysterious as I am sure I am not physically damaging the cart.
    >
    > With thanks
    >
    > Søren

    "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message

    > All laser drums are light sensitive, so do not expose them to bright light if
    > at all possible.

    The OP has an inkjet printer.

    > Many printer companies have death chips or fuses built into their toner
    > cartridges and other consumables to kill them after they empty or after a
    > certain number of copies are reached.

    No such thing on the printer in question.

    > This should be illegal in my opinion. I'm not sure what HP might be doing in
    > this case, but many printers will blow or damage a chip or fuse/link at a
    > certain number of copies or if the toner cartridge goes empty. Nasty.

    Not applicable at all to any HP Deskjet's, Photosmarts or PSC units.

    - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    In article <110lpcohcbisuf8@corp.supernews.com>, bobh@proaxis.com says...

    > "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > All laser drums are light sensitive, so do not expose them to bright light if
    > > at all possible.
    >
    > The OP has an inkjet printer.
    >
    > > Many printer companies have death chips or fuses built into their toner
    > > cartridges and other consumables to kill them after they empty or after a
    > > certain number of copies are reached.
    >
    > No such thing on the printer in question.
    >
    > > This should be illegal in my opinion. I'm not sure what HP might be doing in
    > > this case, but many printers will blow or damage a chip or fuse/link at a
    > > certain number of copies or if the toner cartridge goes empty. Nasty.
    >
    > Not applicable at all to any HP Deskjet's, Photosmarts or PSC units.
    >
    > - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    HP cartridges DO WEAR OUT! And they will do it with surprising rapidity if
    they are run out of ink for even a VERY short time.

    They also are prone to what I call "air binding" when refilled (remember
    despite your best intentions they were NOT designed to be used that way)

    For the few times I have re-filled HP cartridges I have always re-filled when
    I though they were about 1/2 full (# 56, 57, 58, and others of that size)

    Or 1/4 full (#78 et al)

    I never refilled a cartridge for an HP more than 3 times, as I figured the
    cartridge will wear out somtime or other and I just dont want iot to do so
    while Im on deadline!

    For the printers using # 56, 57 58 you need to have several of each number to
    use in rotation, so the printer wont remember the serial number of the
    cartridge upon re-filling. By the time you get to cart #4 the printer will
    forget cart #1, and see it as a NEW cartridge.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    You're absolutely correct Dan, I completely misread the posting! Serves
    me right for answering in the wee hours of the morning while sleep deprived.

    In terms of inkjet cartridges, there are usually numerous web sites that
    offer step by step solutions to refilling various manufacturer's
    cartridges, and offer suggestions on getting around the pitfalls.

    Art

    Dan G wrote:

    > Since the poster was talking about inkjet and not laser, most of this does
    > not apply.
    > Most often, the carts die because they were run empty. Always refill before
    > they run out and they will last a lot longer.
    >

    > "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Well, a few possibilities, but someone who knows the specific cartridge
    >>may know more.
    >>
    >>All laser drums are light sensitive, so do not expose them to bright
    >>light if at all possible. Most aren't horribly sensitive, but if
    >>possible, low level indirect light is safest if the drum will be exposed.
    >>
    >>Many printer companies have death chips or fuses built into their toner
    >>cartridges and other consumables to kill them after they empty or after
    >>a certain number of copies are reached.
    >>
    >>This should be illegal in my opinion. I'm not sure what HP might be
    >>doing in this case, but many printers will blow or damage a chip or
    >>fuse/link at a certain number of copies or if the toner cartridge goes
    >>empty. Nasty.
    >>
    >>You may be using an incorrect type of toner. There are hundreds. They
    >>can be VERY different in make up. Size of particles, types of plastics,
    >>thermal characteristics, magnetic properties, ionic charge, dyes or
    >>colorants used, etc. In general HP/Canon use a mixed developer toner
    >>which is magnetic, and very fine..
    >>
    >>Art
    >>
    >>Søren Larsen wrote:
    >>

    >>>I own a HP Potosmart P1000. When taking out, refilling, and repalcing
    >
    > carts
    >
    >>>I handle them with utmost care.
    >>>
    >>>Nevertheless it happens that a the printer flashes "Snap in cartridge"
    >
    > or
    >
    >>>"cartridge failed" upon replacing. This happens both with the C6578 cart
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>the 51645 cart. Sometimes just opening the lip and not even taking out
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>cart is enuff to make them fail. Yes, I have cleaned the contacts and
    >
    > have
    >
    >>>removed the power cord for a minute or more.
    >>>
    >>>Can one fill with too much ink? or too little? Is the there some kind of
    >>>chip inside the cart that can remember my evil doings?
    >>>
    >>>Really mysterious as I am sure I am not physically damaging the cart.
    >>>
    >>>With thanks
    >>>
    >>>Søren

    Hi Bob,

    You're correct, I misread the poster's message and thought he was
    speaking of a laser printer cartridge. Looking over the OP message, I
    see my error now. Too many numbers to recall, too little sleep...

    Art

    Larry wrote:
    > In article <110lpcohcbisuf8@corp.supernews.com>, bobh@proaxis.com says...
    >

    > HP cartridges DO WEAR OUT! And they will do it with surprising rapidity if
    > they are run out of ink for even a VERY short time.
    >
    > They also are prone to what I call "air binding" when refilled (remember
    > despite your best intentions they were NOT designed to be used that way)
    >
    > For the few times I have re-filled HP cartridges I have always re-filled when
    > I though they were about 1/2 full (# 56, 57, 58, and others of that size)
    >
    > Or 1/4 full (#78 et al)
    >
    > I never refilled a cartridge for an HP more than 3 times, as I figured the
    > cartridge will wear out somtime or other and I just dont want iot to do so
    > while Im on deadline!
    >
    > For the printers using # 56, 57 58 you need to have several of each number to
    > use in rotation, so the printer wont remember the serial number of the
    > cartridge upon re-filling. By the time you get to cart #4 the printer will
    > forget cart #1, and see it as a NEW cartridge.

    I'm gonna have to replace the #57 cart in my PSC2110. Since the last
    refill the red ink wants to clog. I can get it cleared out, but by the
    next day it's clogged again. <SIGH.> I guess 17 refills will just have
    to do.

    TJ

    In article <110qtas8uc64nea@corp.supernews.com>, tjatari@dreamscape.com
    says...
    > Larry wrote:
    > > In article <110lpcohcbisuf8@corp.supernews.com>, bobh@proaxis.com says...
    > >

    > > HP cartridges DO WEAR OUT! And they will do it with surprising rapidity if
    > > they are run out of ink for even a VERY short time.
    > >
    > > They also are prone to what I call "air binding" when refilled (remember
    > > despite your best intentions they were NOT designed to be used that way)
    > >
    > > For the few times I have re-filled HP cartridges I have always re-filled when
    > > I though they were about 1/2 full (# 56, 57, 58, and others of that size)
    > >
    > > Or 1/4 full (#78 et al)
    > >
    > > I never refilled a cartridge for an HP more than 3 times, as I figured the
    > > cartridge will wear out somtime or other and I just dont want iot to do so
    > > while Im on deadline!
    > >
    > > For the printers using # 56, 57 58 you need to have several of each number to
    > > use in rotation, so the printer wont remember the serial number of the
    > > cartridge upon re-filling. By the time you get to cart #4 the printer will
    > > forget cart #1, and see it as a NEW cartridge.
    > >

    > I'm gonna have to replace the #57 cart in my PSC2110. Since the last
    > refill the red ink wants to clog. I can get it cleared out, but by the
    > next day it's clogged again. <SIGH.> I guess 17 refills will just have
    > to do.
    >
    > TJ

    17????

    Not too bad at all.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Since the poster was talking about inkjet and not laser, most of this does
    not apply.
    Most often, the carts die because they were run empty. Always refill before
    they run out and they will last a lot longer.

    "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Well, a few possibilities, but someone who knows the specific cartridge
    > may know more.
    >
    > All laser drums are light sensitive, so do not expose them to bright
    > light if at all possible. Most aren't horribly sensitive, but if
    > possible, low level indirect light is safest if the drum will be exposed.
    >
    > Many printer companies have death chips or fuses built into their toner
    > cartridges and other consumables to kill them after they empty or after
    > a certain number of copies are reached.
    >
    > This should be illegal in my opinion. I'm not sure what HP might be
    > doing in this case, but many printers will blow or damage a chip or
    > fuse/link at a certain number of copies or if the toner cartridge goes
    > empty. Nasty.
    >
    > You may be using an incorrect type of toner. There are hundreds. They
    > can be VERY different in make up. Size of particles, types of plastics,
    > thermal characteristics, magnetic properties, ionic charge, dyes or
    > colorants used, etc. In general HP/Canon use a mixed developer toner
    > which is magnetic, and very fine..
    >
    > Art
    >
    > Søren Larsen wrote:
    >
    > > I own a HP Potosmart P1000. When taking out, refilling, and repalcing
    carts
    > > I handle them with utmost care.
    > >
    > > Nevertheless it happens that a the printer flashes "Snap in cartridge"
    or
    > > "cartridge failed" upon replacing. This happens both with the C6578 cart
    and
    > > the 51645 cart. Sometimes just opening the lip and not even taking out
    the
    > > cart is enuff to make them fail. Yes, I have cleaned the contacts and
    have
    > > removed the power cord for a minute or more.
    > >
    > > Can one fill with too much ink? or too little? Is the there some kind of
    > > chip inside the cart that can remember my evil doings?
    > >
    > > Really mysterious as I am sure I am not physically damaging the cart.
    > >
    > > With thanks
    > >
    > > Tom in WA ... hi... I have found out that on all ink jet (office jet also) the cart is also the print head, thus more money, and if the print head gets told by the printer its bad, then you're screwed and have to buy another cart :cry:

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals