Upgrade From 98?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 26, 2005 12:20:03 AM

I'm thinking about upgrading from 98 to ME or 2000. Anyone have an opinion
as to whether this is a good idea? Also, would I lose all data from my hard
drive if I do this?

More about : upgrade

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:41:50 AM

Insufficient information. Tell us a bit about your system. Speed, RAM,
HD size, etc.

In general, ME is good for machines that were built with ME in mind (and
thus came preloaded with ME.) It has a habit of causing problems in
other machines, older or newer. Win2000 isn't for you unless you are
used to 2000 and you aren't interested in gaming and aren't planning on
attaching a bunch of consumer-grade peripherals (it's quite
unforgiving.) You'd be better off getting XP--*if* your hardware will
run it..

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Streets" <Streets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking about upgrading from 98 to ME or 2000. Anyone have an
opinion
> as to whether this is a good idea? Also, would I lose all data from
my hard
> drive if I do this?
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:54:01 AM

333 Processor, 32 RAM, 2.1 GB hard drive. I was thinking about upgrading the
memory and operating system so that we could run some newer software on the
computer. I realize this may not be the best thing to do, but it's cheaper
than buying a new one.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Insufficient information. Tell us a bit about your system. Speed, RAM,
> HD size, etc.
>
> In general, ME is good for machines that were built with ME in mind (and
> thus came preloaded with ME.) It has a habit of causing problems in
> other machines, older or newer. Win2000 isn't for you unless you are
> used to 2000 and you aren't interested in gaming and aren't planning on
> attaching a bunch of consumer-grade peripherals (it's quite
> unforgiving.) You'd be better off getting XP--*if* your hardware will
> run it..
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Streets" <Streets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm thinking about upgrading from 98 to ME or 2000. Anyone have an
> opinion
> > as to whether this is a good idea? Also, would I lose all data from
> my hard
> > drive if I do this?

April 26, 2005 2:05:32 AM

Your hard drive is too small. Your memory is too small.
Your processor is marginal for anything above ME and you wont like the
performance even with ME.
By the time you upgrade to allow another OS, and buy the OS, you will find a
ready built with Windows XP is cheaper.

> 333 Processor, 32 RAM, 2.1 GB hard drive. I was thinking about upgrading
> the
> memory and operating system so that we could run some newer software on
> the
> computer. I realize this may not be the best thing to do, but it's
> cheaper
> than buying a new one.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> Insufficient information. Tell us a bit about your system. Speed, RAM,
>> HD size, etc.
>>
>> In general, ME is good for machines that were built with ME in mind (and
>> thus came preloaded with ME.) It has a habit of causing problems in
>> other machines, older or newer. Win2000 isn't for you unless you are
>> used to 2000 and you aren't interested in gaming and aren't planning on
>> attaching a bunch of consumer-grade peripherals (it's quite
>> unforgiving.) You'd be better off getting XP--*if* your hardware will
>> run it..
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Streets" <Streets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm thinking about upgrading from 98 to ME or 2000. Anyone have an
>> opinion
>> > as to whether this is a good idea? Also, would I lose all data from
>> my hard
>> > drive if I do this?

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:03:44 AM

Agreed.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
news:o uAlT2hSFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Your hard drive is too small. Your memory is too small.
> Your processor is marginal for anything above ME and you wont like the
> performance even with ME.
> By the time you upgrade to allow another OS, and buy the OS, you will
find a
> ready built with Windows XP is cheaper.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 3:32:10 AM

(Addressed to the OP)

I should add, however, that Windows 2000 *might* be able to solve your
problems, *if* you upgrade RAM substantially, and *if* you add a new
hard drive. *If* the new software you're contemplating will work
decently on Windows 2000 at 333MHz.

Those last two are some mighty big ifs. But it's hard to advise without
specifics--like just what software are you talking about? In some cases,
you'd also need to upgrade the video card, and that's a dicier
proposition that upgrading RAM or HD.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Agreed.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> news:o uAlT2hSFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Your hard drive is too small. Your memory is too small.
> > Your processor is marginal for anything above ME and you wont like
the
> > performance even with ME.
> > By the time you upgrade to allow another OS, and buy the OS, you
will
> find a
> > ready built with Windows XP is cheaper.

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:04:20 AM

Streets wrote:
> 333 Processor, 32 RAM, 2.1 GB hard drive. I was thinking about upgrading the
> memory and operating system so that we could run some newer software on the
> computer. I realize this may not be the best thing to do, but it's cheaper
> than buying a new one.

What Richard suggests is logical. To try to bring old(er) hardware to
reasonable performance under "newer, better, faster.....you name it"
OS's is like trying to fill a "black hole". By the time you have it
performing it costs more that reasonable new box.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:18:03 PM

One of the things I'm trying to do is add this relic of a computer to my home
wireless network. Even if I can use it ONLY for internet access, it would be
better than having it collect dust in my basement. Unfortunately, I need at
least the second edition of 98 for it to work (I have the original 98).
Thanks to your responses, it looks like upgrading operating systems is not
the way to go and I should just bite the bullet, avoid the headaches, and get
a new machine. One last thought though...does it make any sense to try to
upgrade to the second edition of 98? Would it be painless and inexpensive?

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> (Addressed to the OP)
>
> I should add, however, that Windows 2000 *might* be able to solve your
> problems, *if* you upgrade RAM substantially, and *if* you add a new
> hard drive. *If* the new software you're contemplating will work
> decently on Windows 2000 at 333MHz.
>
> Those last two are some mighty big ifs. But it's hard to advise without
> specifics--like just what software are you talking about? In some cases,
> you'd also need to upgrade the video card, and that's a dicier
> proposition that upgrading RAM or HD.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

> > Agreed.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> > news:o uAlT2hSFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > Your hard drive is too small. Your memory is too small.
> > > Your processor is marginal for anything above ME and you wont like
> the
> > > performance even with ME.
> > > By the time you upgrade to allow another OS, and buy the OS, you
> will
> > find a
> > > ready built with Windows XP is cheaper.

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:33:40 PM

You could upgrade to 98SE, but it will cost you between $50 and $80 for the
upgrade disk through ebay.
Be careful that you don't get an OEM version. Then you will also need a
minimum of 32 Megs of RAM. Don't try to run it on less than 64 Megs.
Depending on your computer's motherboard, the RAM will cost you $40 to $50.
(Older RAM modules are getting hard to find too). Of course if you have
hire a tech to do all this for you, then your best bet is to use this
computer as a boat anchor and get a new PC.

> One of the things I'm trying to do is add this relic of a computer to my
> home
> wireless network. Even if I can use it ONLY for internet access, it would
> be
> better than having it collect dust in my basement. Unfortunately, I need
> at
> least the second edition of 98 for it to work (I have the original 98).
> Thanks to your responses, it looks like upgrading operating systems is not
> the way to go and I should just bite the bullet, avoid the headaches, and
> get
> a new machine. One last thought though...does it make any sense to try to
> upgrade to the second edition of 98? Would it be painless and
> inexpensive?
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> (Addressed to the OP)
>>
>> I should add, however, that Windows 2000 *might* be able to solve your
>> problems, *if* you upgrade RAM substantially, and *if* you add a new
>> hard drive. *If* the new software you're contemplating will work
>> decently on Windows 2000 at 333MHz.
>>
>> Those last two are some mighty big ifs. But it's hard to advise without
>> specifics--like just what software are you talking about? In some cases,
>> you'd also need to upgrade the video card, and that's a dicier
>> proposition that upgrading RAM or HD.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > Agreed.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Gary S. Terhune
>> > MS MVP Shell/User
>> > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>> >
>> > "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>> > news:o uAlT2hSFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> the
>> will
>> > find a

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:50:15 PM

Leave the machine as it is and use it for games. Honestly, it's not
worth the cost to upgrade if you have to buy more RAM and a copy of SE,
and in any case, the one thing you *don't* want to do with that machine
for much longer is to use it for internet access, *especially* if it's
joined to a wireless network.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Streets" <Streets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One of the things I'm trying to do is add this relic of a computer to
my home
> wireless network. Even if I can use it ONLY for internet access, it
would be
> better than having it collect dust in my basement. Unfortunately, I
need at
> least the second edition of 98 for it to work (I have the original
98).
> Thanks to your responses, it looks like upgrading operating systems is
not
> the way to go and I should just bite the bullet, avoid the headaches,
and get
> a new machine. One last thought though...does it make any sense to
try to
> upgrade to the second edition of 98? Would it be painless and
inexpensive?

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > (Addressed to the OP)
> >
> > I should add, however, that Windows 2000 *might* be able to solve
your
> > problems, *if* you upgrade RAM substantially, and *if* you add a new
> > hard drive. *If* the new software you're contemplating will work
> > decently on Windows 2000 at 333MHz.
> >
> > Those last two are some mighty big ifs. But it's hard to advise
without
> > specifics--like just what software are you talking about? In some
cases,
> > you'd also need to upgrade the video card, and that's a dicier
> > proposition that upgrading RAM or HD.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Agreed.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o uAlT2hSFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > the
> > will
> > > find a

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:02:15 AM

I have to disagree with you on W2K. I have used it for years and it takes
anything I throw at it without a cough.
In my opinion it is the best OS that MS put out. It has never failed to run
the games we play and will even take on those that my son's WXP machine
fails to run. I have SP4 installed in it without problems.

The bottom line is that you must know what you are doing and how to do it
when running the OS which a lot of people out there don't and then complain
about the OS rather than their inability. It is far better than the candy
coated newbie XP.

I do agree that it takes a more powerful machine to run it with success but
it has never balked at anything I add to it, even most old apps. If there
is a driver made for it (it will even use some XP drivers) it will run it.

> Insufficient information. Tell us a bit about your system. Speed, RAM,
> HD size, etc.
>
> In general, ME is good for machines that were built with ME in mind (and
> thus came preloaded with ME.) It has a habit of causing problems in
> other machines, older or newer. Win2000 isn't for you unless you are
> used to 2000 and you aren't interested in gaming and aren't planning on
> attaching a bunch of consumer-grade peripherals (it's quite
> unforgiving.) You'd be better off getting XP--*if* your hardware will
> run it..
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Streets" <Streets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm thinking about upgrading from 98 to ME or 2000. Anyone have an
> opinion
> > as to whether this is a good idea? Also, would I lose all data from
> my hard
> > drive if I do this?

May 12, 2005 2:41:25 PM

My opinion is 98SE is best for older computers like yours and XP is okay for
new computers.

!