schedule tasks.

McGiv

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004

I have scheduled scan disk and defragmenter for certain days and times but
log shows "last time run" "never" Why is this.? McGiv

"mcgiv" <mcgiv@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> I have scheduled scan disk and defragmenter for certain days and times
but
> log shows "last time run" "never" Why is this.? McGiv

Was your computer switched on for the days and times for which you had
scheduled it to run? Just a point!!

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Is Task Scheduler enabled? Does its icon appear in the tray next to the clock on
the taskbar?
Double-click the Task icon in the tray
Or
Click Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Scheduled Tasks
Then click the Advanced menu....which of the Advanced menu entries are greyed out?
The only one that should be greyed is "Start Using Task Scheduler", if it is
running.

Double-click each task and check your settings on the Schedule and Settings tabs.
Make sure they are set for a time when the computer is on, and that they are not set
for the same time, or for a time when some other app performs maintenance.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"mcgiv" <mcgiv@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> I have scheduled scan disk and defragmenter for certain days and times but
> log shows "last time run" "never" Why is this.? McGiv

While others have addressed your Task Scheduler issue, I would suggest
that running Scandisk and Defrag as Scheduled Tasks is not something I
recommend. See the article in my signature regarding "Clean Boot". With
these procedures, you spend perhaps ten minutes performing maintenance
clean up and Scandisk, you don't let Scandisk "automatically fix"
anything (since automatic fixes by Scandisk *may* be precisely the wrong
thing to do), and then leave your system running Defrag, certain that
even though it's slow, it will run smoothly and be repeatedly
interrupted by other functions, something to which Defrag is quite
susceptible. When you come back to the system, you restart and you're on
your way.

Plus, unless you work your system *very* hard, running Scandisk and
defrag more often than once or twice a *month* is overkill.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User