Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX-60 vs. Pentium D 965 EE

Last response: in Overclocking
April 26, 2006 10:03:51 AM

which one is better, they r both extremely powerful dual cores but hard
time figuring out which one is better, i tried the cpu charts but it didnt give me mch of a good comparison that i wanted, so i jus want som general advice from u ppl =D

More about : amd pentium 965

April 26, 2006 11:02:25 AM

If you got either of them, you would have a good, overpriced cpu. This thread has all the makings of another Amd vs. Intel flamewar that nobody needs. If you like Intel, buy theirs, If you like Amd, buy theirs, if you are rich, buy both. You can search the forumz. I'm sure you will find thousands of similar threads. If you are into being miserable that much, strike up a conversation with a mime.

Results may vary.
April 26, 2006 11:33:55 AM

i cant seem to find the correct price for the 965 EE
Related resources
April 27, 2006 3:01:31 PM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

The only thing missing is the flame about how you should really run Opterons.

Seriously this issue has been beaten flogged weighed measured and found wanting for more!!!!!
April 27, 2006 3:59:55 PM

ok that reminds me, got a question for AMD CPUs, opterons....they r dual cores rite? coz i've been hearing ppl talk abt "quad" cores with opterons, wtf is that? i mean when the hell did quad cores come out, and does Intel hav somthin similar? or mayb im jus confused like a dawg...
April 27, 2006 4:53:04 PM

not all Opterons are dual core below x65s are single core. 1xx Opterons are for single cpu setups. 2xx Opt. are for dual cpu motherboards-this might be where some of the quad-core confusion originates. 8xx Opt. are for multi-cpu servers. There aren't any quad-cores on a single chip yet, as far as I know.
This isn't really my area of expertise, so I may be wrong.
April 27, 2006 5:25:28 PM

nah, u r right man. quads are only on engineering samples, no retail yet.

could be hearing about dual 265 opty's or somthin... that would make a system w/ 4 cores... just not on one chip.

and ya, search the forums... there are plenty of threads on which is better.

honestly, if you have that much $ is doesn't really matter now does it? at that level just buy a voodoo or falcon made for ya.
April 27, 2006 6:22:47 PM

I would go for either one of them since it's both good but the price would be the real deal here. :) 
April 27, 2006 6:56:44 PM

It really depends what you are doing; for pure gaming the FX60 will beat the 965EE in nearly every game, while consuming less power. A few things the 965EE does have over the FX60 include the 4 logical processors, and 65nm; basically it overclocks better.
April 27, 2006 7:09:09 PM

Quote:

It costs $1,000, give or take a couple bucks. It's the biggest ripoff ever; you could build a nice complete system for that price.
April 28, 2006 8:41:07 AM

wait a min, does the opterons actually cost more than the fx-60 and the 965ee? r opterons even good for gaming?
April 28, 2006 9:21:11 AM

Quote:
wait a min, does the opterons actually cost more than the fx-60 and the 965ee? r opterons even good for gaming?

No the opterons are cheaper then the FX-60 & the 965ee and yes the opterons are good for gaming......

Now I have not seen prices on the 8xx series Optys so as for those I couldnt tell ya......

as for which one is better...?? the one that is better is best one for you....
April 28, 2006 9:39:43 AM

Quote:

It costs $1,000, give or take a couple bucks. It's the biggest ripoff ever; you could build a nice complete system for that price.
They are over $1500 in Australia for the 955EE.

Prices for AMD's.
http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?catid=11&subid=490
April 28, 2006 10:03:58 AM

$#!T thats expensive
April 28, 2006 11:26:03 AM

Overall the EE 965 will be a bit faster and have the HT advantage and it will also overclock better.
However, at over 1k neither of the CPUs is worth buying especially considering that you can have even better performance for only ~120 dollars (Pentium D 805).
April 28, 2006 11:50:16 AM

Quote:
Overall the EE 965 will be a bit faster and have the HT advantage and it will also overclock better.
However, at over 1k neither of the CPUs is worth buying especially considering that you can have even better performance for only ~120 dollars (Pentium D 805).

How wrong you are Ycon. Why do you insist on giving people false information??? Why even post your nonsense???
The FX60 will smoke the 965EE in just about everything except video encoding while using much less power and producing much less heat and using half the cache.
Toms just did an article on it. Even oveclocked to 4.26ghz the EE cant keep up. REad it and weep:

Quote:
Nevertheless, Pentium Extreme Edition 965 is still a very fast processor, and it comes even closer to catching up to AMD devices

But even when the Intel CPU is overclocked at 4.26 GHz, the dualcore Athlon 64 FX processors still offer better results for most applications. Sure, the new Extreme Edition CPU is competitive, but it does not outperform the Athlon 64 FX-60, even at 3.73 GHz.

The Pentium Extreme Edition 965 does its job by keeping Intel in the news and by bridging the time until the first Conroe-based Core Duo E6000 (or E8000 Extreme Edition) processors become available. But at the end of the day, it is just another NetBurst processor that is inferior compared to the dual-core Athlons.

Secondly, both processors are a waste of money. There are tons of threads on here addressing these issues. There are people here getting near FX-60 speeds by overclocking 939 Opteron 170's. Dual core opties start at about $300.
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2006 12:25:40 PM

Quote:
which one is better, they r both extremely powerful dual cores but hard
time figuring out which one is better, i tried the cpu charts but it didnt give me mch of a good comparison that i wanted, so i jus want som general advice from u ppl =D

Dude...wtf...how many of these "Which is better than the other" bull$shit threads are you gonna create...what's the matter, you got nothing better to do...cut us an effin' break with this crap...go play in traffic or something... better yet, get off the forumz and do something productive with your life!!!!
April 28, 2006 12:29:20 PM

well SORRY, these posts must be ruining ur life
April 28, 2006 2:58:59 PM

well then SORRAY, i guess i'll jus leave the forums and go to the pure pwnage forums instead so u guys can CHILL OUT
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2006 10:18:56 PM

Quote:
well SORRY, these posts must be ruining ur life

and...

Quote:
well then SORRAY, i guess i'll jus leave the forums and go to the pure pwnage forums instead so u guys can CHILL OUT

If all you're gonna do is create pointless BS threads about what is better than whatever...then yeah, get out...you make a bad martyr...
April 28, 2006 10:45:36 PM

I have a challenge for the THG forums: Let's try to go one day without any "ATI or nVidia/AMD or Intel" threads, any "Build me a $xxxx computer" threads, or any Conroe or AM2 threads. The only threads should be n00bs asking about upgrading their $h!tboxes, cooling your overclocked components, improving your benchmark scores, and troubleshooting a malfunctioning PC. Any takers?
April 29, 2006 8:01:44 AM

Wow this couldn't have been engineered better to start another AMD vs. Intel flame war...

BTW is the nVidia 7900GTX or the ATI 1900XTX better? How about the xbox 360 or the upcoming PS3? Oh what about macs and PCs, which has the better operation system and performance? Also, is vanilla or chocolate icecream better? DISCUSS!
May 2, 2006 7:00:43 AM

When you have a lot of money, why not buy the fastest?

Buy 2x (YES 2x) AMD Opteron 270 (or greater but it must be Socket 940!) and then a 940 socket motherboard...

Then overclock them to about 3GHz, then you´ll see perfomance!
May 2, 2006 8:38:07 AM

Yeah... I think u r the sanest person here. The other day I was lookin at THG CPU interactive chart and wat I could see is that the maximum performance increase of FX-60 over the basic 3000+ was about 40%. U got to ask urself a question is 800% price increase justified by 40% performance increase?
May 2, 2006 9:46:48 AM

isnt a 940 motherboard older than a 939?
May 5, 2006 5:29:30 PM

In that case, which is better: Cooling overclocked components or improving benchmarks?

(That's supposed to be ironic, by the way)
May 5, 2006 6:00:23 PM

I agree with AG.. Instead of the same ol rival stuff how about some new stuff like, liquid cooling solutions, quieter rigs, etc.

My Rig:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Opteron 180 (Zalman 120 Cooler)
2GB PC-3200 ECC
4 x 400GB Hitachi Raid 10
2 Plextor DVDRW
Thermaltake Xaser V3000
BFG 650 PS
2 XFX 7900 GT SLI
Audigy XFI
!