jpegfile

Laurie

I deleted the JPEG from my list of registered file types. How do I get it
back? I can't find the icon JPEG file type either. I tried to create a new
file type but got the message that "the extension '.jpg' is already in use by
the file type 'jpegfile'. Choose another extension".

What problem are you having--can you not open a .jpeg file?

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Laurie" <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I deleted the JPEG from my list of registered file types. How do I get it
> back? I can't find the icon JPEG file type either. I tried to create a
> new
> file type but got the message that "the extension '.jpg' is already in use
> by
> the file type 'jpegfile'. Choose another extension".

Laurie

Hi Ron,
I could not open jpeg files so I followed a Microsoft Knowledge base article
that said to delete the jpeg file type. Now I'm in trouble. I was able to
associate the file with something else but I want the original back. The
..jpg files did not have an association when I stripped and reloaded Windows
98 SE on my hard drive.

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> What problem are you having--can you not open a .jpeg file?
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>
> "Laurie" <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I deleted the JPEG from my list of registered file types. How do I get it
> > back? I can't find the icon JPEG file type either. I tried to create a
> > new
> > file type but got the message that "the extension '.jpg' is already in use
> > by
> > the file type 'jpegfile'. Choose another extension".

You should be able to do it from Windows Explorer or My Computer. Hold
the shift key down and then right click one of the jpeg files, and then
pick "Open with". If the app you want is not listed in the choices, then
you can browse for the application's exe file and choose it. Be sure to
click on the box that says "Always use this application to open this type
of file".
Damn, I'm glad I read back over what I said... I left the "f" out of
"shift". No one would ever believe it was a typo.... :)

=?Utf-8?B?TGF1cmll?= <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hi Ron,
> I could not open jpeg files so I followed a Microsoft Knowledge base
> article that said to delete the jpeg file type. Now I'm in trouble.
> I was able to associate the file with something else but I want the
> original back. The .jpg files did not have an association when I
> stripped and reloaded Windows 98 SE on my hard drive.
>
> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>
>> What problem are you having--can you not open a .jpeg file?
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
>> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>> Knowledge Base Info:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>>
>> "Laurie" <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I deleted the JPEG from my list of registered file types. How do I
>> >get it
>> > back? I can't find the icon JPEG file type either. I tried to
>> > create a new
>> > file type but got the message that "the extension '.jpg' is already
>> > in use by
>> > the file type 'jpegfile'. Choose another extension".

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Thanks for the laugh.

For Laurie. I concur with Menno's recommendation as that is the easy way to
fix the problem. Otherwise you'd have to get into the registry and tinker.

--

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> You should be able to do it from Windows Explorer or My Computer. Hold
> the shift key down and then right click one of the jpeg files, and then
> pick "Open with". If the app you want is not listed in the choices, then
> you can browse for the application's exe file and choose it. Be sure to
> click on the box that says "Always use this application to open this type
> of file".
> Damn, I'm glad I read back over what I said... I left the "f" out of
> "shift". No one would ever believe it was a typo.... :)
>
> =?Utf-8?B?TGF1cmll?= <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
>> Hi Ron,
>> I could not open jpeg files so I followed a Microsoft Knowledge base
>> article that said to delete the jpeg file type. Now I'm in trouble.
>> I was able to associate the file with something else but I want the
>> original back. The .jpg files did not have an association when I
>> stripped and reloaded Windows 98 SE on my hard drive.
>>
>> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>>
>>> What problem are you having--can you not open a .jpeg file?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
>>> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>>> Knowledge Base Info:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>>>
>>> "Laurie" <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>

> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Laurie

Thanks Menno and Ron for the info and the laugh. :) I did have a KB article
that went into the registry to check the jpeg and gif entries and everything
was OK. I just don't have the JPEG in my list of registered files types.

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> HAHAHAHAHAHA. Thanks for the laugh.
>
> For Laurie. I concur with Menno's recommendation as that is the easy way to
> fix the problem. Otherwise you'd have to get into the registry and tinker.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>
> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> > You should be able to do it from Windows Explorer or My Computer. Hold
> > the shift key down and then right click one of the jpeg files, and then
> > pick "Open with". If the app you want is not listed in the choices, then
> > you can browse for the application's exe file and choose it. Be sure to
> > click on the box that says "Always use this application to open this type
> > of file".
> > Damn, I'm glad I read back over what I said... I left the "f" out of
> > "shift". No one would ever believe it was a typo.... :)
> >
> > =?Utf-8?B?TGF1cmll?= <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >
> >> Hi Ron,
> >> I could not open jpeg files so I followed a Microsoft Knowledge base
> >> article that said to delete the jpeg file type. Now I'm in trouble.
> >> I was able to associate the file with something else but I want the
> >> original back. The .jpg files did not have an association when I
> >> stripped and reloaded Windows 98 SE on my hard drive.

> > --
> > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Laurie

Also, were do I find the original jpeg icon in Windows? Any idea why my
..jpg files weren't associated after I reformatted my hard drive and reloaded
Windows and all my files?

"Laurie" wrote:

> Thanks Menno and Ron for the info and the laugh. :) I did have a KB article
> that went into the registry to check the jpeg and gif entries and everything
> was OK. I just don't have the JPEG in my list of registered files types.
>
> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>
> > HAHAHAHAHAHA. Thanks for the laugh.
> >
> > For Laurie. I concur with Menno's recommendation as that is the easy way to
> > fix the problem. Otherwise you'd have to get into the registry and tinker.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
> > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> > Knowledge Base Info:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> >
> > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> > > You should be able to do it from Windows Explorer or My Computer. Hold
> > > the shift key down and then right click one of the jpeg files, and then
> > > pick "Open with". If the app you want is not listed in the choices, then
> > > you can browse for the application's exe file and choose it. Be sure to
> > > click on the box that says "Always use this application to open this type
> > > of file".
> > > Damn, I'm glad I read back over what I said... I left the "f" out of
> > > "shift". No one would ever believe it was a typo.... :)
> > >
> > > =?Utf-8?B?TGF1cmll?= <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> > > --
> > > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

I don't currently have W98 loaded (in the process of redoing my system) so I
cannot look--sorry.

--

> Also, were do I find the original jpeg icon in Windows? Any idea why my
> .jpg files weren't associated after I reformatted my hard drive and
> reloaded
> Windows and all my files?
>
> "Laurie" wrote:
>
>> Thanks Menno and Ron for the info and the laugh. :) I did have a KB
>> article
>> that went into the registry to check the jpeg and gif entries and
>> everything
>> was OK. I just don't have the JPEG in my list of registered files types.
>>
>> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>>
>> > HAHAHAHAHAHA. Thanks for the laugh.
>> >
>> > For Laurie. I concur with Menno's recommendation as that is the easy
>> > way to
>> > fix the problem. Otherwise you'd have to get into the registry and
>> > tinker.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
>> > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>> > Knowledge Base Info:
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>> >
>> > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message

Laurie <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Also, were do I find the original jpeg icon in Windows? Any idea why my
>.jpg files weren't associated after I reformatted my hard drive and reloaded
>Windows and all my files?

Fresh out-of-the-box, Win98 uses Internet Explorer to view JPEG files.
IE takes quite a while to load, and takes quite a bit of RAM for a
graphic viewer (of course, it does lots of things besides show
graphics files).

For a quick, compact, capable, excellent, and free graphics viewer, go
to www.irfanview.com and download Irfanview.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)