Is Vonage support allowed to look at user call records?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

Vonage webpages let me see almost instantly who I just called. But is
Vonage customer service allowed to look at my call records, or are
there regulations or privacy considerations to influence that?
11 answers Last reply
More about vonage support allowed user call records
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:23:45 +0100, maxi@falkirkreserve-nospam.com
    wrote:

    >Vonage webpages let me see almost instantly who I just called. But is
    >Vonage customer service allowed to look at my call records, or are
    >there regulations or privacy considerations to influence that?


    VoIP services are not regulated like phone companies - what is their
    privacy policy?
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    who honestly cares. if anybody wants to know who i'm talking to, just
    call me up and ask.

    i just called my mom.

    and seriously, if you don't want vonage support looking at your call
    records, don't call them. trust me, somebody at your local POTS is
    just as able to see your current records
  3. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    On 1 Oct 2004 21:02:29 -0700, "Mark" <jmdavies@gmail.com> wrote:

    >who honestly cares. if anybody wants to know who i'm talking to, just
    >call me up and ask.
    >
    >i just called my mom.
    >
    >and seriously, if you don't want vonage support looking at your call
    >records, don't call them. trust me, somebody at your local POTS is
    >just as able to see your current records

    ....and listen to calls too, no doubt. Laws to the contrary
    notwithstanding.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    > who honestly cares. if anybody wants to know who i'm talking to, just
    > call me up and ask.
    >
    > i just called my mom.

    And how about if your call data was used in some manner that invaded your
    privacy? Like calling you a mama's boy for all those conversations to your
    mother? Or to a doctor for some condition you'd rather not have shared?
    Sold to a catalog company bent on sending you junk mail for it? Seriously,
    think about how 'data' such as that can be used against someone, especially
    when taken out of context. Would you want your boss, on seeing your
    frequent calls to your mother, to start making decisions about your work
    because of it? Would you want someone looking at your mothers records and
    using them to perperate some scam on her?

    There's a big difference between calling someone up and asking and slicing
    and dicing their call data records. You can refuse to answer when asked, as
    most folks would, but how would you untangle the database-driven errors that
    would crop up from your call records?

    > and seriously, if you don't want vonage support looking at your call
    > records, don't call them. trust me, somebody at your local POTS is
    > just as able to see your current records

    What actual carriers are required to do or not do is dictated by
    regulations. That they CAN see the data isn't a surprise, what they're
    bound by law against doing with it is another matter.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    I am tottaly behind you on privacy. What if you become a suspect in
    some sort of crime. and you are tottaly innocent and you calls innocent
    as they may be are tooken wrong. If OJ simpson can get off and Bush can
    become presedent then dam it there is something wrong.

    there is no need for a operator to really have this information. they
    could have limited information and still do there job fine.

    You leave your doors locked or open expect to be robbed
    you take any effort at all to avoid problems do it. next time you are
    in radio shack refuse to give your information. they will not stop you
    from buying. I do it all the time. They will use it agist you later.

    you call alot out of state expect a slew of calls to sell you
    longdistance. buy alot of on sale items expect calls on itesm they
    want to clear out. or like I hear big walmart type big box stores are
    rf tag doing. where if you just buy items on sale they will eventualy
    not spend any energy on you anymore treat you diffrently. scary but
    thous pants you bought at walmart are giving off a number and the saver
    card in your wallet screams your identy where ever you go and there is a
    rf reader.

    Bye bye privacy.

    Hellow controled jail police state.

    where you going , why, how long, can I see your papers please.

    Infowars.com
    whatreallyhappened.com

    evolution suffers

    wkearney99 wrote:
    >>who honestly cares. if anybody wants to know who i'm talking to, just
    >>call me up and ask.
    >>
    >>i just called my mom.
    >
    >
    > And how about if your call data was used in some manner that invaded your
    > privacy? Like calling you a mama's boy for all those conversations to your
    > mother? Or to a doctor for some condition you'd rather not have shared?
    > Sold to a catalog company bent on sending you junk mail for it? Seriously,
    > think about how 'data' such as that can be used against someone, especially
    > when taken out of context. Would you want your boss, on seeing your
    > frequent calls to your mother, to start making decisions about your work
    > because of it? Would you want someone looking at your mothers records and
    > using them to perperate some scam on her?
    >
    > There's a big difference between calling someone up and asking and slicing
    > and dicing their call data records. You can refuse to answer when asked, as
    > most folks would, but how would you untangle the database-driven errors that
    > would crop up from your call records?
    >
    >
    >>and seriously, if you don't want vonage support looking at your call
    >>records, don't call them. trust me, somebody at your local POTS is
    >>just as able to see your current records
    >
    >
    > What actual carriers are required to do or not do is dictated by
    > regulations. That they CAN see the data isn't a surprise, what they're
    > bound by law against doing with it is another matter.
    >
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    Two words "spell check"


    "m" <googlenews@s2angel.com> wrote in message
    news:05KdnbaG4sQ9JyTcRVn-qA@rogers.com...
    > I am tottaly behind you on privacy. What if you become a suspect in
    > some sort of crime. and you are tottaly innocent and you calls innocent
    > as they may be are tooken wrong. If OJ simpson can get off and Bush can
    > become presedent then dam it there is something wrong.
    >
    > there is no need for a operator to really have this information. they
    > could have limited information and still do there job fine.
    >
    > You leave your doors locked or open expect to be robbed
    > you take any effort at all to avoid problems do it. next time you are
    > in radio shack refuse to give your information. they will not stop you
    > from buying. I do it all the time. They will use it agist you later.
    >
    > you call alot out of state expect a slew of calls to sell you
    > longdistance. buy alot of on sale items expect calls on itesm they
    > want to clear out. or like I hear big walmart type big box stores are
    > rf tag doing. where if you just buy items on sale they will eventualy
    > not spend any energy on you anymore treat you diffrently. scary but
    > thous pants you bought at walmart are giving off a number and the saver
    > card in your wallet screams your identy where ever you go and there is a
    > rf reader.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    > "m" <googlenews@s2angel.com> wrote in message
    > news:05KdnbaG4sQ9JyTcRVn-qA@rogers.com...
    >> I am tottaly behind you on privacy. What if you become a suspect in
    >> some sort of crime. and you are tottaly innocent and you calls innocent
    >> as they may be are tooken wrong. If OJ simpson can get off and Bush can
    >> become presedent then dam it there is something wrong.


    Along the lines of privacy...

    I admit, there is something I like about conspiracy theories and such. One
    idea I had was that IP phone services like Vonage could be tracking the
    digitized voices and using voice recognition to pick up on keywords, then
    saving that call for the feds. I also realize that our standard phone calls
    (non VOIP) are probably also digitized at some point and could also be
    searched for keywords, but since I started using VOIP I came up with this
    idea.

    I am not saying this is done, this is just an idea the occurred to me one
    day.

    --Dan
  8. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    dg wrote:
    ....
    > I admit, there is something I like about conspiracy theories and such. One
    > idea I had was that IP phone services like Vonage could be tracking the
    > digitized voices and using voice recognition to pick up on keywords, then
    > saving that call for the feds. I also realize that our standard phone calls
    > (non VOIP) are probably also digitized at some point and could also be
    > searched for keywords, but since I started using VOIP I came up with this
    > idea.

    Do you go to the movies? The CIA does that for all international calls ...
  9. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    In article <FK2dnWSobZ5LDdTfRVn-1w@comcast.com>,
    rick0.merrill@gmailNOSPAM.com says...
    > dg wrote:
    > ...
    > > I admit, there is something I like about conspiracy theories and such. One
    > > idea I had was that IP phone services like Vonage could be tracking the
    > > digitized voices and using voice recognition to pick up on keywords, then
    > > saving that call for the feds. I also realize that our standard phone calls
    > > (non VOIP) are probably also digitized at some point and could also be
    > > searched for keywords, but since I started using VOIP I came up with this
    > > idea.
    >
    > Do you go to the movies? The CIA does that for all international calls ...
    >

    There's your problem; you're getting your information from the movies.
    It is the job of the NSA, not the CIA, to perform such monitoring.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    Rusty Shackleford wrote:
    > In article <FK2dnWSobZ5LDdTfRVn-1w@comcast.com>,
    > rick0.merrill@gmailNOSPAM.com says...
    >
    >>dg wrote:
    >>...
    >>
    >>>I admit, there is something I like about conspiracy theories and such. One
    >>>idea I had was that IP phone services like Vonage could be tracking the
    >>>digitized voices and using voice recognition to pick up on keywords, then
    >>>saving that call for the feds. I also realize that our standard phone calls
    >>>(non VOIP) are probably also digitized at some point and could also be
    >>>searched for keywords, but since I started using VOIP I came up with this
    >>>idea.
    >>
    >>Do you go to the movies? The CIA does that for all international calls ...
    >>
    >
    >
    > There's your problem; you're getting your information from the movies.
    > It is the job of the NSA, not the CIA, to perform such monitoring.

    I stand corrected! - )
  11. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    "Rick Merrill" <rick0.merrill@gmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    news:FK2dnWSobZ5LDdTfRVn-1w@comcast.com...

    > Do you go to the movies? The CIA does that for all international calls
    > ...

    Unfortunately, no. Ive got 3 young boys, and I just can't make it out to
    the movies anymore. Its rentals or wait for HBO for me.

    --Dan
Ask a new question

Read More

vpn Vonage Support Networking