VB 6.0 Program Installation Problem

September 13, 2004 11:39:30 AM

Sir, I have developed a program using VB 6.0/Access 2000
and Crystal 8.5 on Windows XP. This program is running
perfectly on the computer having its OS Windows XP. but
when i try to install it on Windows 2000. its not
allowing me to install instead display a message that
some files on this system are out of date. i restarted
computer many times but no use.
kindly advice me what files are required to run my VB
based program on Windows 2000.

Regards,

Sohrab
sohrab_as@rediffmail.com
sohrab.ahmad@alfozan.com
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 4:57:45 PM

"Sohrab" <sohrab_as@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:<12cb01c4999f$7a511340$a501280a@phx.gbl>...
> Sir, I have developed a program using VB 6.0/Access 2000
> and Crystal 8.5 on Windows XP. This program is running
> perfectly on the computer having its OS Windows XP. but
> when i try to install it on Windows 2000. its not
> allowing me to install instead display a message that
> some files on this system are out of date. i restarted
> computer many times but no use.
> kindly advice me what files are required to run my VB
> based program on Windows 2000.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sohrab
> sohrab_as@rediffmail.com
> sohrab.ahmad@alfozan.com

Sohrab,
I had a similar problem a few months ago with the same configuration.
Unfortunately, I'm drawing a blank on how I fixed it. I remember
there was a "catch-22" situation acknowledged by Microsoft whereby
certain DLLs that were part of a service pack would not actually get
installed during the mandatory "reboot" after the SP was installed.
I'm sure I started the hunt for the solution by keying the exact error
message into Google. That must have taken me to the Microsoft writeup
on solving this.
Post the error you're getting here, maybe it will job my memory.
Good Luck
John Santora
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 5:36:06 AM

To use Visual Basic programs that utilize dynamic link libraries or ActiveX
controls, a computer must have those controls/libraries loaded and
registered. If you create a program with control/library version x+1 a
computer that is only equipped with version x of that control/library may
not be able to properly run the program.

Some common controls are distributed with Windows. The controls included
with Windows include common interface objects like text boxes, labels, open
dialogs, save dialogs, list boxes and check boxes. Windows also usually
includes the version of Visual Basic runtime available when Microsoft sent
the master CD to the OEM or CD stamping plant. Other controls and libraries
including some allowing Visual Basic programs to utilize Microsoft Office
applications must be installed with the proper version of Office or
distributed with the developer's Visual Basic application. Note that some
Visual Basic/Visual Studio licenses DO NOT include authorization to
redistribute controls provided by Microsoft to other users, particularly
Academic versions and the introductory versions bound in the back of
tutorial books and text books.

!