Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cloning hard drives

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:33:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I have an app called EZ-Gig II which among other things will clone hard
drives. You can boot from the CD and it comes up as "EZ-Clone". I have
cloned *lots* of hard drives with this and it has never failed. The cloned
drive will always boot up without a hitch. The only problem is I have is
that sometimes I get an older machine that doesn't have the option to boot
from the CD. I need something that will boot from a floppy and do the same
thing. Western Digital had EZ-Drive 9.0 which would work with any makes of
hard drives. However, it is outdated now and won't do large drives or NTFS
partitions. Does anyone know of a *good* hard drive copy application that
will boot from a floppy and work flawlessly? It doesn't *have* to be free.
I'll happily pay for it if it'll work as well as EZ-Clone.
My present workaround is to take both drives and hook them up to a shop
machine that *will* boot from the CD. That wouldn't be so bad except the
shop machine is a working machine, and I have to unhook it's own drives and
hook up the other ones.
Just to make this on topic, the first time I ran into the problem was on a
Windows 98 machine... :-)

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

More about : cloning hard drives

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:31:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
news:Xns9645FE724C74butter@daisymae.com...
> I have an app called EZ-Gig II which among other things will clone hard
> drives. You can boot from the CD and it comes up as "EZ-Clone". I have
> cloned *lots* of hard drives with this and it has never failed. The cloned
> drive will always boot up without a hitch. The only problem is I have is
> that sometimes I get an older machine that doesn't have the option to boot
> from the CD. I need something that will boot from a floppy and do the same
> thing. Western Digital had EZ-Drive 9.0 which would work with any makes of
> hard drives. However, it is outdated now and won't do large drives or NTFS
> partitions. Does anyone know of a *good* hard drive copy application that
> will boot from a floppy and work flawlessly? It doesn't *have* to be free.
> I'll happily pay for it if it'll work as well as EZ-Clone.
> My present workaround is to take both drives and hook them up to a shop
> machine that *will* boot from the CD. That wouldn't be so bad except the
> shop machine is a working machine, and I have to unhook it's own drives
and
> hook up the other ones.
> Just to make this on topic, the first time I ran into the problem was on a
> Windows 98 machine... :-)
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Many of the HD maker's websites contain links to exactly what you're looking
for. Some may be standalone, some are part of bigger application. These
are free. Many paritioning programs, imaging programs, and similar engaged
with a boot manager have cloning operations. The older versions usually fit
on a couple of floppy diskettes for restoration or cloning as a simple dos
environment is adequate for such. An example would be DriveImage 6.0 (2002)
or Partition Magic 5.0 and prior versions of either. In some cases, no
matter the cloning software, you may have to restore the boot files of Win98
to its proper location by using the "sys" command with a boot diskette with
98 boot files on it.

Clones should be made in the machine of their origin.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:13:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Menno Hershberger wrote:
> I have an app called EZ-Gig II which among other things will clone
> hard drives. You can boot from the CD and it comes up as "EZ-Clone".
> I have cloned *lots* of hard drives with this and it has never
> failed. The cloned drive will always boot up without a hitch. The
> only problem is I have is that sometimes I get an older machine that
> doesn't have the option to boot from the CD.

You can't boot from a boot floppy (with CD support), change to the CD
drive and manually start the program?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
Related resources
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:13:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in news:#Q#bANzSFHA.548
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> Menno Hershberger wrote:
>> I have an app called EZ-Gig II which among other things will clone
>> hard drives. You can boot from the CD and it comes up as "EZ-Clone".
>> I have cloned *lots* of hard drives with this and it has never
>> failed. The cloned drive will always boot up without a hitch. The
>> only problem is I have is that sometimes I get an older machine that
>> doesn't have the option to boot from the CD.
>
> You can't boot from a boot floppy (with CD support), change to the CD
> drive and manually start the program?

Nope. Actually, there are two programs on the CD. EZ-Clone and
EZ-Gig II. EZ-Clone doesn't have an executable to run it with. And if you
try to run EZ-Gig it just says it can't be run in DOS mode. EZ-Gig is
pretty cool too. It makes disk images. It has to be run under windows
unless you create a special boot CD for it.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
April 27, 2005 2:27:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
news:ushiXUySFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> news:Xns9645FE724C74butter@daisymae.com...
>> I have an app called EZ-Gig II which among other things will clone hard
>> drives. You can boot from the CD and it comes up as "EZ-Clone". I have
>> cloned *lots* of hard drives with this and it has never failed. The
>> cloned
>> drive will always boot up without a hitch. The only problem is I have is
>> that sometimes I get an older machine that doesn't have the option to
>> boot
>> from the CD. I need something that will boot from a floppy and do the
>> same
>> thing. Western Digital had EZ-Drive 9.0 which would work with any makes
>> of
>> hard drives. However, it is outdated now and won't do large drives or
>> NTFS
>> partitions. Does anyone know of a *good* hard drive copy application that
>> will boot from a floppy and work flawlessly? It doesn't *have* to be
>> free.
>> I'll happily pay for it if it'll work as well as EZ-Clone.
>> My present workaround is to take both drives and hook them up to a shop
>> machine that *will* boot from the CD. That wouldn't be so bad except the
>> shop machine is a working machine, and I have to unhook it's own drives
> and
>> hook up the other ones.
>> Just to make this on topic, the first time I ran into the problem was on
>> a
>> Windows 98 machine... :-)
>>
>> --
>> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
>
> Many of the HD maker's websites contain links to exactly what you're
> looking
> for. Some may be standalone, some are part of bigger application. These
> are free. Many paritioning programs, imaging programs, and similar
> engaged
> with a boot manager have cloning operations. The older versions usually
> fit
> on a couple of floppy diskettes for restoration or cloning as a simple dos
> environment is adequate for such. An example would be DriveImage 6.0
> (2002)
> or Partition Magic 5.0 and prior versions of either. In some cases, no
> matter the cloning software, you may have to restore the boot files of
> Win98
> to its proper location by using the "sys" command with a boot diskette
> with
> 98 boot files on it.
>
> Clones should be made in the machine of their origin.
>
>

western digital still has a utility available
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:24:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Western Digital now have data lifeguard
any drive type
all sizes
a dos boot and a windows version

Maxtor has maxblast
at least 1 drive has to report a maxtor signature, but it need not be either
of the drives being copied
all sizes
a dos boot and a windows version

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de
AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
Catalog of removal tools (1)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
Catalog of removal tools (2)
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ubXMozySFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> news:ushiXUySFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> > news:Xns9645FE724C74butter@daisymae.com...
> >> I have an app called EZ-Gig II which among other things will clone hard
> >> drives. You can boot from the CD and it comes up as "EZ-Clone". I have
> >> cloned *lots* of hard drives with this and it has never failed. The
> >> cloned
> >> drive will always boot up without a hitch. The only problem is I have
is
> >> that sometimes I get an older machine that doesn't have the option to
> >> boot
> >> from the CD. I need something that will boot from a floppy and do the
> >> same
> >> thing. Western Digital had EZ-Drive 9.0 which would work with any makes
> >> of
> >> hard drives. However, it is outdated now and won't do large drives or
> >> NTFS
> >> partitions. Does anyone know of a *good* hard drive copy application
that
> >> will boot from a floppy and work flawlessly? It doesn't *have* to be
> >> free.
> >> I'll happily pay for it if it'll work as well as EZ-Clone.
> >> My present workaround is to take both drives and hook them up to a shop
> >> machine that *will* boot from the CD. That wouldn't be so bad except
the
> >> shop machine is a working machine, and I have to unhook it's own drives
> > and
> >> hook up the other ones.
> >> Just to make this on topic, the first time I ran into the problem was
on
> >> a
> >> Windows 98 machine... :-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
> >
> > Many of the HD maker's websites contain links to exactly what you're
> > looking
> > for. Some may be standalone, some are part of bigger application.
These
> > are free. Many paritioning programs, imaging programs, and similar
> > engaged
> > with a boot manager have cloning operations. The older versions usually
> > fit
> > on a couple of floppy diskettes for restoration or cloning as a simple
dos
> > environment is adequate for such. An example would be DriveImage 6.0
> > (2002)
> > or Partition Magic 5.0 and prior versions of either. In some cases, no
> > matter the cloning software, you may have to restore the boot files of
> > Win98
> > to its proper location by using the "sys" command with a boot diskette
> > with
> > 98 boot files on it.
> >
> > Clones should be made in the machine of their origin.
> >
> >
>
> western digital still has a utility available
>
>
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 3:24:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I've got the latest DOS version of Data Lifeguard. But it still requires
that one of the drives be a WD. However they used to have a link on their
site to one that you could get that would work on *any* brand. I don't see
that any more.

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
news:o saUkTzSFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> Western Digital now have data lifeguard
> any drive type
> all sizes
> a dos boot and a windows version
>
> Maxtor has maxblast
> at least 1 drive has to report a maxtor signature, but it need not be
> either of the drives being copied
> all sizes
> a dos boot and a windows version
>



--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:56:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

my old data lifeguard still works,, will also try find it and post the link

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de
AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
Catalog of removal tools (1)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
Catalog of removal tools (2)
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
news:Xns964564434FF62butter@daisymae.com...
> I've got the latest DOS version of Data Lifeguard. But it still requires
> that one of the drives be a WD. However they used to have a link on their
> site to one that you could get that would work on *any* brand. I don't see
> that any more.
>
> "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> news:o saUkTzSFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>
> > Western Digital now have data lifeguard
> > any drive type
> > all sizes
> > a dos boot and a windows version
> >
> > Maxtor has maxblast
> > at least 1 drive has to report a maxtor signature, but it need not be
> > either of the drives being copied
> > all sizes
> > a dos boot and a windows version
> >
>
>
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:18:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:51:20 -0700, Menno Hershberger
<mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:

>I've got the latest DOS version of Data Lifeguard. But it still requires
>that one of the drives be a WD. However they used to have a link on their
>site to one that you could get that would work on *any* brand. I don't see
>that any more.

Menno,

I got MaxBlast3 with a Maxtor drive. I made the diskette and used it
to boot to Dos on a Win 2k machine (NTFS) with no Maxtor drives. It
complained about no Maxtor drive and said to do it from windows but
went ahead with the copy. It stated the cloned drive was made
bootable.
It says it's for Win SE to XP and uses Dr. Dos. The CD is bootable
if Windows is not installed.

Make sure the drives have identifying labels !!
This was on a CD, the download may be different.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 3:32:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in news:#Q#bANzSFHA.548
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> Menno Hershberger wrote:
>> I have an app called EZ-Gig II which among other things will clone
>> hard drives. You can boot from the CD and it comes up as "EZ-Clone".
>> I have cloned *lots* of hard drives with this and it has never
>> failed. The cloned drive will always boot up without a hitch. The
>> only problem is I have is that sometimes I get an older machine that
>> doesn't have the option to boot from the CD.
>
> You can't boot from a boot floppy (with CD support), change to the CD
> drive and manually start the program?

Nope, it has to boot itself.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
!