windows won't load my cdrom

my cdrom appeares on system start up but does not load up in windows i have
tried changeing ribbions going from primary to secondary master slave a
different cdrom it will se a harddrive but not a cd why

"streeted" <streeted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> my cdrom appeares on system start up but does not load up in windows i
have
> tried changeing ribbions going from primary to secondary master slave a
> different cdrom it will se a harddrive but not a cd why

CD drives are cheap, do not last for ever, and are
easily replaced. So try a new drive.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

"streeted" <streeted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my cdrom appeares on system start up but does not load up in windows i
have
> tried changeing ribbions going from primary to secondary master slave a
> different cdrom it will se a harddrive but not a cd why

Boot into Safe Mode and
check Device Manager under System Properties.

If you have duplicates listed which force your PC
into MSDOS Compatibility Mode,
one of the consequences of that is
that your CDROM drive will "disappear" in Normal Mode.

Resolve the issue(s) and reboot into Normal Mode
and your CDROM drive will automagically reappear.

"streeted" <streeted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A11852F-E55D-451E-83B8-6D48A8DF7C53@microsoft.com...
> my cdrom appeares on system start up but does not load up in windows i have
> tried changeing ribbions going from primary to secondary master slave a
> different cdrom it will se a harddrive but not a cd why

Start regedit, expand and highlight the following key and look in the right
window for "NOIDE". If you find it, delete it. You will have to restart
the computer for the change to take effect.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS

Ben