Add New Hardware Wizard

Do you know if there is some way to disable the Add New Hardware Wizard
feature in Win98SE? I have a driver issue to which I have assigned a low
priority, but every time I boot up I get this idiotic prompt to install the
software for the hardware in question. I really want to suppress this, it is
more of a hindrance than a help. Do you know of any way to do this?

Thanks,
Ray
--
RJL
3 answers Last reply

    =?Utf-8?B?UmF5IExld2lz?= <RayLewis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Do you know if there is some way to disable the Add New Hardware
    > Wizard feature in Win98SE? I have a driver issue to which I have
    > assigned a low priority, but every time I boot up I get this idiotic
    > prompt to install the software for the hardware in question. I really
    > want to suppress this, it is more of a hindrance than a help. Do you
    > know of any way to do this?

    You can just continue till until it says it can't install the device and
    then click OK. It will then show up as "unknown device" in Device Manager.
    But you won't be prompted any more.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    "Ray Lewis" <RayLewis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Do you know if there is some way to disable the Add New Hardware Wizard
    > feature in Win98SE? I have a driver issue to which I have assigned a low
    > priority, but every time I boot up I get this idiotic prompt to install
    the
    > software for the hardware in question. I really want to suppress this, it
    is
    > more of a hindrance than a help. Do you know of any way to do this?

    It seems unwise to disable this Wizard (in case a
    component you require becomes disabled on reboot).

    E.g. my PC main board includes Ethernet components
    for high speed broadband connections, unavailable where
    I live: so I disabled this feature in BIOS. The New Hardware
    Wizard remains available but reboot no longer prompts me
    to instal Ethernet components.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    If the device is installed and operational, in Device Manager:
    Double click the device to bring up its properties and select the "Disable
    this....." ( may differ ).

    If not installed, install it and disable it in DM.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Ray Lewis" <RayLewis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Do you know if there is some way to disable the Add New Hardware Wizard
    > feature in Win98SE? I have a driver issue to which I have assigned a low
    > priority, but every time I boot up I get this idiotic prompt to install the
    > software for the hardware in question. I really want to suppress this, it is
    > more of a hindrance than a help. Do you know of any way to do this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ray
    > --
    > RJL