unable to install 98 on formatted drive

I recently formatted my c: drive and now when I try to install my Win98 it
starts out all right, scans disk etc... then it says copying files for 98
setup then a message comes up "Standard Mode: Fault outside of ms-dos
extender. EC=0000 IP=3E24 AX=0140 BX=0120 CX=0120 DX=01E0
SI=01C0 DI=0000 BP=0FC2 DS=0277 ES=0387 SS=027F SP=0FAZ
Please remove any floppy disks from your drives and press any key to restart
your system."
I recieve this message whether I have my win98 floppy boot disk in or not
and am unable to go any further. When I restart my pc the whole process
starts again and I end up at the same message. Any help?????? TIA
6 answers Last reply
More about unable install formatted drive

    Read the setup.txt file on your W98 CD--it has info on this error

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "mandolinwind61" <mandolinwind61@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently formatted my c: drive and now when I try to install my Win98 it
    > starts out all right, scans disk etc... then it says copying files for 98
    > setup then a message comes up "Standard Mode: Fault outside of ms-dos
    > extender. EC=0000 IP=3E24 AX=0140 BX=0120 CX=0120 DX=01E0
    > SI=01C0 DI=0000 BP=0FC2 DS=0277 ES=0387 SS=027F
    > SP=0FAZ
    > Please remove any floppy disks from your drives and press any key to
    > restart
    > your system."
    > I recieve this message whether I have my win98 floppy boot disk in or not
    > and am unable to go any further. When I restart my pc the whole process
    > starts again and I end up at the same message. Any help?????? TIA

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=87239
    Windows Err Msg: Fault in MS-DOS Extender

    Here is a quote from Setup.txt, located in same folder as Setup.exe...
    .......Quote.............
    Standard Mode Messages
    If you get any of the following error messages, remove
    any memory managers (such as EMM386.exe, QEMM, or 386Max)
    from your Config.sys file, and then run Setup again.

    Standard Mode: Invalid DPMI return.
    Standard Mode: Fault in MS-DOS Extender.
    Standard Mode: Bad Fault in MS-DOS Extender.
    Standard Mode: Unknown stack in fault dispatcher.
    Standard Mode: Stack Overflow.

    NOTE: If you still have problems, add EMM386.EXE back
    into your Config.sys file and exclude all ranges. For
    example,

    device=c:\windows\emm386.exe x=A000-FFFF

    If you encounter these messages or if your computer stops
    responding during Setup, turn on double-buffering in
    SmartDrive. Several SCSI hard drives and some ESDI drives
    require double-buffering.

    To turn on double buffering, add the following line to
    the beginning of your Config.sys file:

    device=c:\windows\smartdrv.exe /double_buffer+

    where "c:\windows" is the path to your Windows directory.
    .......End quote.......

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "mandolinwind61" <mandolinwind61@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:9DFA6294-D042-46A9-9A15-30012BC1CEEA@microsoft.com...
    | I recently formatted my c: drive and now when I try to install my
    Win98 it
    | starts out all right, scans disk etc... then it says copying files for
    98
    | setup then a message comes up "Standard Mode: Fault outside of ms-dos
    | extender. EC=0000 IP=3E24 AX=0140 BX=0120 CX=0120
    DX=01E0
    | SI=01C0 DI=0000 BP=0FC2 DS=0277 ES=0387 SS=027F
    SP=0FAZ
    | Please remove any floppy disks from your drives and press any key to
    restart
    | your system."
    | I recieve this message whether I have my win98 floppy boot disk in or
    not
    | and am unable to go any further. When I restart my pc the whole
    process
    | starts again and I end up at the same message. Any help?????? TIA

    How do I remove the memory manager from the config.sys file?

    "PCR" wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=87239
    > Windows Err Msg: Fault in MS-DOS Extender
    >
    > Here is a quote from Setup.txt, located in same folder as Setup.exe...
    > .......Quote.............
    > Standard Mode Messages
    > If you get any of the following error messages, remove
    > any memory managers (such as EMM386.exe, QEMM, or 386Max)
    > from your Config.sys file, and then run Setup again.
    >
    > Standard Mode: Invalid DPMI return.
    > Standard Mode: Fault in MS-DOS Extender.
    > Standard Mode: Bad Fault in MS-DOS Extender.
    > Standard Mode: Unknown stack in fault dispatcher.
    > Standard Mode: Stack Overflow.
    >
    > NOTE: If you still have problems, add EMM386.EXE back
    > into your Config.sys file and exclude all ranges. For
    > example,
    >
    > device=c:\windows\emm386.exe x=A000-FFFF
    >
    > If you encounter these messages or if your computer stops
    > responding during Setup, turn on double-buffering in
    > SmartDrive. Several SCSI hard drives and some ESDI drives
    > require double-buffering.
    >
    > To turn on double buffering, add the following line to
    > the beginning of your Config.sys file:
    >
    > device=c:\windows\smartdrv.exe /double_buffer+
    >
    > where "c:\windows" is the path to your Windows directory.
    > .......End quote.......
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "mandolinwind61" <mandolinwind61@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:9DFA6294-D042-46A9-9A15-30012BC1CEEA@microsoft.com...
    > | I recently formatted my c: drive and now when I try to install my
    > Win98 it
    > | starts out all right, scans disk etc... then it says copying files for
    > 98
    > | setup then a message comes up "Standard Mode: Fault outside of ms-dos
    > | extender. EC=0000 IP=3E24 AX=0140 BX=0120 CX=0120
    > DX=01E0
    > | SI=01C0 DI=0000 BP=0FC2 DS=0277 ES=0387 SS=027F
    > SP=0FAZ
    > | Please remove any floppy disks from your drives and press any key to
    > restart
    > | your system."
    > | I recieve this message whether I have my win98 floppy boot disk in or
    > not
    > | and am unable to go any further. When I restart my pc the whole
    > process
    > | starts again and I end up at the same message. Any help?????? TIA

    At DOS...

    (1) EDIT C:\Config.sys
    Alt-F-X-ENTER (pressed separately) will exit EDIT.
    TAB to navigate buttons. ENTER to accept button.

    (2) Type "REM " (with the space, w/o the quotes) in front of the EMM386
    line.

    Good luck, but this sounds like a tough one.

    --
    message news:46F36F90-5596-409E-B5DC-1409C06C0A04@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    | > DX=01E0
    | > | SI=01C0 DI=0000 BP=0FC2 DS=0277 ES=0387 SS=027F
    | > SP=0FAZ
    | > | Please remove any floppy disks from your drives and press any key
    | > restart
    | > | your system."
    | > | I recieve this message whether I have my win98 floppy boot disk in
    or
    | > not
    | > | and am unable to go any further. When I restart my pc the whole
    | > process
    | > | starts again and I end up at the same message. Any help?????? TIA

    > (1) EDIT C:\Config.sys
    > Alt-F-X-ENTER (pressed separately) will exit EDIT.
    > TAB to navigate buttons. ENTER to accept button.
    >
    > (2) Type "REM " (with the space, w/o the quotes) in front of the EMM386
    > line.
    >
    > Good luck, but this sounds like a tough one.

    Sure does, but my first question would be Why an error like this
    occurs on a newly Formatted drive...... what do you reckon
    pcr?
    Does something like this go as deep as 'mbr'?
    If it is a hard-drive problem it sounds like the best bet would be to
    purchase a new one; if its something else, mobo or whatever, then
    getting to the 'root' of the problem would be a better road as
    problems at foundation level are surely going to show up further
    down the track after the o/s is installed.

    jane

    (still summer here pcr and life is grand)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=87239
    Windows Err Msg: Fault in MS-DOS Extender

    It's a tough one, I said, meaning... who knows WHAT it is? It wouldn't
    hurt to test RAM & the hard drive, as you say.

    I guess "FDISK /MBR" to be worth a try, if a boot sector virus is
    suspected AND one is doing a reformat/wipe of the entire hard drive
    anyway. All partitions on a hard drive are vulnerable to a boot sector
    virus, not just C:\. Kill the virus, & the partitions may become
    inaccessible...

    Enter "FDISK /MBR"
    This will rewrite the code portion of the Master Boot Record,
    leaving the Partition Table untouched, except it may muss the partition
    table, if there is a missing End-Of-Sector marker (55AA), per
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=149877
    Boot Record Signature AA55 Not Found

    Here are the warnings against it...

    (a) If you have a boot sector virus, you may lose access to all
    partitions. Then
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html MBRWork "might" help to
    recover them.

    (b) If you have "overlay" code in the MBR, e.g., EZ-BIOS, Maxblast, a
    boot manager, then that will need to be reestablished afterwards.
    http://www.aefdisk.com/ FDISK & Boot Manager
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245162
    Cannot Access Hard Disk After Booting from Floppy Disk

    (c) FDISK may be buggy. So? Use MBRWork to do it, or
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263044
    Latest FDISK, hoping this one doesn't have any bugs. (But it doesn't
    solve the 55AA thing.)

    (d) If for some reason the "geometry" setting in BIOS does not match the
    hard drive, then any write to the drive may be destructive. So, go into
    BIOS and have it "automatically detect" the proper setting. (If you can
    DIR the drive in DOS, then you have proven the geometry is probably all
    right, though Blanton has said it may not be so under a certain rare
    circumstance.)

    --
    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message

    | > (1) EDIT C:\Config.sys
    | > Alt-F-X-ENTER (pressed separately) will exit EDIT.
    | > TAB to navigate buttons. ENTER to accept button.
    | >
    | > (2) Type "REM " (with the space, w/o the quotes) in front of the
    EMM386
    | > line.
    | >
    | > Good luck, but this sounds like a tough one.
    |
    | Sure does, but my first question would be Why an error like this
    | occurs on a newly Formatted drive...... what do you reckon
    | pcr?
    | Does something like this go as deep as 'mbr'?
    | If it is a hard-drive problem it sounds like the best bet would be to
    | purchase a new one; if its something else, mobo or whatever, then
    | getting to the 'root' of the problem would be a better road as
    | problems at foundation level are surely going to show up further
    | down the track after the o/s is installed.
    |
    | jane
    |
    | (still summer here pcr and life is grand)

Windows