history question

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

See display question at end!!

When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the urls.

When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending dates
for the file) and is not expandable as above.

When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and printers
option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
above.

Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)

Anon wrote:
> See display question at end!!
>
> When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
> folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
> urls.
>
> When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
> ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
> MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending dates
> for the file) and is not expandable as above.
>
> When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and printers
> option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
> above.
>
> Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
> paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)

No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program
(like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat folders, or
the C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you are
speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that folder
IE5 even today.

Rick

Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

***
Yes and the 'home' computer opened the folder as today, etc.

The shared computer opened the folder as
History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat not as above.
*****

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> > Anon wrote:
> >> See display question at end!!
> >>
> >> When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered
as
> >> folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
> >> urls.
> >>
> >> When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
> >> ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
> >> MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
dates
> >> for the file) and is not expandable as above.
> >>
> >> When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
printers
> >> option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
> >> above.
> >>
> >> Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the
first
> >> paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
> >
> > No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access
and
> > run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same
program
> > (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run
whatever
> > other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat
folders, or
> > the C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you
are
> > speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
folder
> > IE5 even today.
> >
> > Rick

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> Anon wrote:
> > See display question at end!!
> >
> > When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
> > folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
> > urls.
> >
> > When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
> > ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
> > MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
dates
> > for the file) and is not expandable as above.
> >
> > When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
printers
> > option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
> > above.
> >
> > Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
> > paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
>
> No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
> run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program

****
I actually executed a couple of the programs on the shared computer - so
that at least works.
***

> (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
> other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat folders,
or
> the C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you
are
> speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
folder
> IE5 even today.

***
I also thought that the IE5 DID look peculiar.

These ARE the folders I am talking about.

On the 'home' computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as today, etc folders.

On the shared computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as
History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat and each then opens as an ordinary
explorer folder not as today, etc.

Now is there some way (registry???) to force the 'home' computer to render
the shared history the way the home computer displays its own history?

BTW the shared history is in exactly the same folder as the home computer.
***

Brian A. wrote:
> Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

Yes but it's further than that, where that particular folder you can find it
a few ways, one manual way is if you navigate to it in dos or from the
windows msdos prompt. ...errr, now that I think of it I have my
autoexec bat always set with:
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET DIRCMD=/A
...in order for me to see results with all hidden/system files being shown if
you do a DIR in dos is what SET DIRCMD=/A does ...and SET PROMPT=$p-$g
will show drive and current dir when in dos.

Anyway, easier for most if they use any one of a number of programs to be
able to see that particular History\History folder index.dat file. Even the
resident winfile.exe in 'search' will show that folder ..but using specific
programs like Spider, or others, is where you will see that and actually
everything of file and url contents all at once.

C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat
C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat
C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat
C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
C:\WINDOWS\UserData\index.dat

Rick

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> Anon wrote:
>>> See display question at end!!
>>>
>>> When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
>>> folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
>>> urls.
>>>
>>> When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
>>> ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
>>> MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
>>> dates for the file) and is not expandable as above.
>>>
>>> When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
>>> printers option) the history looks like those described in the second
>>> paragraph above.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
>>> paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
>>
>> No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
>> run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program
>> (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
>> other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat
>> folders, or the
>> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you are
>> speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
>> folder IE5 even today.
>>
>> Rick

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

> Brian A. wrote:
> > Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?
>
> Yes but it's further than that, where that particular folder you can find
it
> a few ways, one manual way is if you navigate to it in dos or from the
> windows msdos prompt. ...errr, now that I think of it I have my
> autoexec bat always set with:
> SET PROMPT=$p$g
> SET DIRCMD=/A
> ..in order for me to see results with all hidden/system files being shown
if
> you do a DIR in dos is what SET DIRCMD=/A does ...and SET PROMPT=$p-$g
> will show drive and current dir when in dos.
>
> Anyway, easier for most if they use any one of a number of programs to be
> able to see that particular History\History folder index.dat file. Even
the
> resident winfile.exe in 'search' will show that folder ..but using
specific
> programs like Spider, or others, is where you will see that and actually
> everything of file and url contents all at once.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat
> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat
> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat
> C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
> C:\WINDOWS\UserData\index.dat

****
No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.
***

Anon wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> Anon wrote:

[....]

>> > Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
>> > paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
>>
>> No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
>> run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program
>
> ****
> I actually executed a couple of the programs on the shared computer - so
> that at least works.
> ***
>
>> (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
>> other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat
>> folders, or the
>> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you are
>> speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
>> folder IE5 even today.
>
> ***
> I also thought that the IE5 DID look peculiar.

Well it's only cosmetic really, and no biggy and it all still works the same.
I imagine it's just that the IE6 install routine was never set to rename it
to 6 is all.

> These ARE the folders I am talking about.
>
> On the 'home' computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as today, etc
> folders.

right

> On the shared computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as
> History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat and each then opens as an ordinary
> explorer folder not as today, etc.

...I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say with the way you have worded
that sentence?
You cannot see or open in a ordinary windows explorer folder, that particular
C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\ folder, unless
you have an extra specific program to do so - what program are you using.

> Now is there some way (registry???) to force the 'home' computer to render
> the shared history the way the home computer displays its own history?

As I said before I don't think so in this case, unless of course you use one
of those programs that lets you have control of their computer from your
computer and in that way you can operate the computer as if you were really
there.

If I knew what you were trying to accomplish by seeing/clicking what url's
are in their history cache then maybe I could give you more advice about it.

> BTW the shared history is in exactly the same folder as the home computer.

Yes it's the same in all 9x's systems with those TWO folders always there:

> [...]
> > the shared history the way the home computer displays its own history?
>

> As I said before I don't think so in this case, unless of course you use
one
> of those programs that lets you have control of their computer from your
> computer and in that way you can operate the computer as if you were
really
> there.
>
> If I knew what you were trying to accomplish by seeing/clicking what url's
> are in their history cache then maybe I could give you more advice about
it.

> > BTW the shared history is in exactly the same folder as the home
computer.

> Yes it's the same in all 9x's systems with those TWO folders always there:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\
> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\

In windows explorer - when I open the windows folder, the is a folder
labeled 'history' in the right hand box.

When I open that folder there are several icons - labeled 'today'
'yesterday' [wednesday], 'day before yesterday', etc.

When I open any of those they list the urls I visited (these look the same
as if I had clicked history in internet explorer.)

If I do the same on the shared hard drive - there is a folder called
'history' but when I open it I get another folder named history, when I open
that folder I get the files called IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - not the
clickable urls.

Does that make sense??

Now what I want to do is to open the shared history with clickable urls.

There are no 'programs' involved in the operation, just opening folders in
the explorer.
***

> Rick

Anon wrote:

[....]

> No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.

Anon I know that, but you are replying to the wrong post, and that post was
not for you but it was for Brian who aksed the question how to find it.

I guessed you missed the one I replied to you. That's not my fault ;)

Rick

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

> Anon wrote:
>
> [....]
>
> > No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.
>
> Anon I know that, but you are replying to the wrong post, and that post
was
> not for you but it was for Brian who aksed the question how to find it.
>
> I guessed you missed the one I replied to you. That's not my fault ;)
>
> Rick

***
Sorry about my confusion (I guess that is the problem with a couple of
threads going in one conversation.)

I have been guilty of doing that myself.
***

Anon wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> Anon wrote:
>> > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

[...snips....]

> In windows explorer - when I open the windows folder, the is a folder
> labeled 'history' in the right hand box.
>
> When I open that folder there are several icons - labeled 'today'
> 'yesterday' [wednesday], 'day before yesterday', etc.
>
> When I open any of those they list the urls I visited (these look the same
> as if I had clicked history in internet explorer.)

Yep okay I'm following ya..

> If I do the same on the shared hard drive

Okay previously I've never had a reason to look at the History\History
folders of any computer across a network.

> - there is a folder called
> 'history' but when I open it I get another folder named history, when I
> open that folder I get the files called IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
> not the clickable urls.
>
> Does that make sense??

Again previously I've never had a reason to look at the History folder on any
networked computer, and so to check that then let me set my networks
computer's C:\ drive as shared right now (which I normally never do) and then
open up Network Neighborhood and take a looks across the network at another
computer to see what you're telling me...

....Well I'll be dipped in chocolate I see that now. I've just never ever
needed to look at a History folder on a networked computer to see that it
'uniquely' unveils that folder like that - that's a neat tidbit....
IE6 needs to be installed to see that where otherwise IE5 does not render
that other folder. I think with IE6 that's just an oversight and morelikely
an anomaly that this came about.

I'm not surprised the url's in that History\History.IE5 folder don't show up
because for one thing those 2nd and 3rd History folders are only there for
storing older index.dat files, as compared to the 1st History folder that
url's are first copied to and then picked up by all other index.dat files to
store. In all cases the index.dat files 'data' are read from within the file
itself, and so as mentioned before you will still need to run a program to
see what's inside of that particuar or any index.dat file.

> Now what I want to do is to open the shared history with clickable urls.
>
> There are no 'programs' involved in the operation, just opening folders in
> the explorer.

...as mentioned above it's not that simple as just opening folders in that
case since those 2nd and 3rd index.dat folders which are only there to store
older saved index.dat files in, so again you'll need a program to open those
particular index.dat files and able to read the data.

However, back to your question and desire to want to do:

> Now what I want to do is to open the shared history with clickable urls.

Yes you can do it, you would just 'copy' whichever particular index.dat file
you want from the target shared computer to your current computer, then run a
program like spider or any program that reads index.dat files data and
displays it properly, and then copy the url links from that info and then
create internet shortcuts with them - or just paste the url info one by one
into your current browser address bar ..and go to that site.
I just did it so it's confirmed - yes it can be done what you want although
not as straight forward as your first request of just opening the folder to
see it - you have to work a little (5 seconds) to get the data.....

Rick

| Anon wrote:
| > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
|
| [...snips....]
|
| > In windows explorer - when I open the windows folder, the is a
folder
| > labeled 'history' in the right hand box.
| >
| > When I open that folder there are several icons - labeled 'today'
| > 'yesterday' [wednesday], 'day before yesterday', etc.
| >
| > When I open any of those they list the urls I visited (these look
the same
| > as if I had clicked history in internet explorer.)
|

| Yep okay I'm following ya..
|

| > If I do the same on the shared hard drive
|

| Okay previously I've never had a reason to look at the History\History
| folders of any computer across a network.
|
| > - there is a folder called
| > 'history' but when I open it I get another folder named history,
when I
| > open that folder I get the files called
IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
| > not the clickable urls.
| >
| > Does that make sense??
|

| Again previously I've never had a reason to look at the History folder
on any
| networked computer, and so to check that then let me set my networks
| computer's C:\ drive as shared right now (which I normally never do)
and then
| open up Network Neighborhood and take a looks across the network at
another
| computer to see what you're telling me...

| ...Well I'll be dipped in chocolate I see that now.

Yea, I see it too. It doesn't require a Network connection, either. It
shows up that way in Explorer on my D:partition, which is a clone of
C:partition. The MS-DOS name of the 2nd History folder (shown in
Explorer's Properties) is "History.IE5". Each of the MSHIST~ dirs has
only an Index.dat inside.

Here it is in DOS...

D:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir/a /s
Directory of D:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5

INDEX DAT 393,216 02-10-05 12:50a index.dat
DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
MSHIST~1 <DIR> 02-07-05 5:16p MSHist012005020720050208
MSHIST~2 <DIR> 02-08-05 2:57p MSHist012005020820050209
MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
MSHIST~3 <DIR> 02-09-05 12:58a MSHist012005020920050210
MSHIST~7 <DIR> 01-24-05 1:02a MSHist012005011720050124
MSHIST~9 <DIR> 01-31-05 1:42a MSHist012005012420050131
MSHIS~11 <DIR> 02-07-05 5:16p MSHist012005013120050207
MSHIS~12 <DIR> 01-17-05 2:16a MSHist012005011020050117
2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
Total files listed:
2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
10 dir(s) 6,692.77 MB free

And this shows at DOS for C:partition (but ONLY at DOS)...

C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5

INDEX DAT 393,216 04-28-05 6:45p index.dat
DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
MSHIST~1 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005042620050427
MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
MSHIST~2 <DIR> 04-27-05 10:39p MSHist012005042720050428
MSHIST~3 <DIR> 04-28-05 3:51p MSHist012005042820050429
MSHIS~10 <DIR> 04-11-05 1:33a MSHist012005040420050411
MSHIST~9 <DIR> 04-04-05 5:41p MSHist012005032820050404
MSHIS~11 <DIR> 04-18-05 1:20a MSHist012005041120050418
MSHIST~8 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005041820050425
2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
Total files listed:
2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
10 dir(s) 6,729.91 MB free

| I've just never ever
| needed to look at a History folder on a networked computer to see that
it
| 'uniquely' unveils that folder like that - that's a neat tidbit....
| IE6 needs to be installed to see that where otherwise IE5 does not
render
| that other folder. I think with IE6 that's just an oversight and
morelikely
| an anomaly that this came about.

I'm thinking the extra processing needed to translate the .dat/.ie5
files/folders into URLs is only done to the system History folder,
normally C:\Windows\History. That is the only location Windows knows for
sure holds what it expects to be processed in that way.

| I'm not surprised the url's in that History\History.IE5 folder don't
show up
| because for one thing those 2nd and 3rd History folders are only there
for
| storing older index.dat files, as compared to the 1st History folder
that
| url's are first copied to and then picked up by all other index.dat
files to
| store. In all cases the index.dat files 'data' are read from within
the file
| itself, and so as mentioned before you will still need to run a
program to
| see what's inside of that particuar or any index.dat file.

So, Windows wants to be sure these files are what it expects them to be
before it processes them. I guess it's using location to determine it.
RegistryDetective finds nine mentionings of C:\Windows\History...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
ll Folders
History "C:\WINDOWS\History"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Url History
Directory "C:\WINDOWS\History"

....seven look like this...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\Cache\Extensible Cache\MSHist012005032820050404]
"CachePath"=hex(2):43,3a,5c,57,49,4e,44,4f,57,53,5c,48,69,73,74,6f,72,79
,5c,48,\

69,73,74,6f,72,79,2e,49,45,35,5c,4d,53,48,69,73,74,30,31,32,30,30,35,30,
33,\
32,38,32,30,30,35,30,34,30,34,5c,00
"CachePrefix"=":2005032820050404: "
"CacheLimit"=dword:00002000
"CacheOptions"=dword:0000000b
"CacheRepair"=dword:00000000

...."C:\Windows\History" is somewhere in those hex numbers. I was going
to suggest one might write a little .reg to point the Registry to
D:partition, BUT it may not be so simple. Looks like each MSHIST~ is in
there with descriptive info. OTOH, it could be these 7 might auto-adjust
somehow, just changing the first two Keys (above).

ODD: There are only 7 Registry keys like that, but 8 folders.

....snip...

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

PCR wrote:

Hi PCR,

> Yea, I see it too. It doesn't require a Network connection, either. It
> shows up that way in Explorer on my D:partition, which is a clone of
> C:partition. The MS-DOS name of the 2nd History folder (shown in
> Explorer's Properties) is "History.IE5". Each of the MSHIST~ dirs has
> only an Index.dat inside.

Well I'll be, yep it's there too ..I just looked across 'local' partitions
too at my other OS's there and sure enough it shows up that too. I really
never needed had a reason to look across a Network or now as you pointed out
other local HD OS partitions besides C:\ at that particular History folder.

[...]

> And this shows at DOS for C:partition (but ONLY at DOS)...
>
> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a
> Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5
>
> INDEX DAT 393,216 04-28-05 6:45p index.dat
> DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
> MSHIST~1 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005042620050427
> MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
> MSHIST~2 <DIR> 04-27-05 10:39p MSHist012005042720050428
> MSHIST~3 <DIR> 04-28-05 3:51p MSHist012005042820050429
> MSHIS~10 <DIR> 04-11-05 1:33a MSHist012005040420050411
> MSHIST~9 <DIR> 04-04-05 5:41p MSHist012005032820050404
> MSHIS~11 <DIR> 04-18-05 1:20a MSHist012005041120050418
> MSHIST~8 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005041820050425

....this shows you don't use any History cleanup and so you accumulate all
these index.dat files and subfolders from months ago, as most unknowingly do.
I have always used in my autoexec a ditty where each 24 hours period runs
(among other things) a deltree /y history\*.* in its directory that
automatically deletes the History folder getting All of it's subfolders &
contents entirely.. and so at any one time I only have 1 index.dat file in
History\History.IE5 with no MSHIST~1 not to mention any older MSHIST~2
through ~xxx either . There is no reason to store those for anything imho;
unless of course you want to leave all the url's of your past where you've
gone, available to whomever has the wits to have a lookie...

[...]

Rick

Actually I did not ask where to find it, I was questioning the OP. My bad, I
responded to the wrong person.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> Anon wrote:
>
> [....]
>
>> No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.
>
> Anon I know that, but you are replying to the wrong post, and that post was
> not for you but it was for Brian who aksed the question how to find it.
>
> I guessed you missed the one I replied to you. That's not my fault ;)
>
> Rick

Thanks for the information. Well, let's try... "Internet Options, Clear
History button"...

C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a /s
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5
INDEX DAT 393,216 04-29-05 3:13p index.dat
DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
2 file(s) 393,329 bytes

It took a couple of tries, but that seems to be less. Also, the 7
MSHIST~ items at this Registry key have disappeared (on the first
try)...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\Cache\Extensible Cache

I guess I'm happy enough. I'm thinking MSHIST~5 corresponds to the
single folder that is left in Explorer at C:\WINDOWS\History, which is
"Today".

--
| PCR wrote:
|
| Hi PCR,
|
| > Yea, I see it too. It doesn't require a Network connection, either.
It
| > shows up that way in Explorer on my D:partition, which is a clone of
| > C:partition. The MS-DOS name of the 2nd History folder (shown in
| > Explorer's Properties) is "History.IE5". Each of the MSHIST~ dirs
has
| > only an Index.dat inside.
|

| Well I'll be, yep it's there too ..I just looked across 'local'
partitions
| too at my other OS's there and sure enough it shows up that too. I
really
| never needed had a reason to look across a Network or now as you
pointed out
| other local HD OS partitions besides C:\ at that particular History
folder.

| [...]
|
| > And this shows at DOS for C:partition (but ONLY at DOS)...
| >
| > C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a
| > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5
| >
| > INDEX DAT 393,216 04-28-05 6:45p index.dat
| > DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
| > MSHIST~1 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005042620050427
| > MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
| > MSHIST~2 <DIR> 04-27-05 10:39p MSHist012005042720050428
| > MSHIST~3 <DIR> 04-28-05 3:51p MSHist012005042820050429
| > MSHIS~10 <DIR> 04-11-05 1:33a MSHist012005040420050411
| > MSHIST~9 <DIR> 04-04-05 5:41p MSHist012005032820050404
| > MSHIS~11 <DIR> 04-18-05 1:20a MSHist012005041120050418
| > MSHIST~8 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005041820050425
|

| ...this shows you don't use any History cleanup and so you accumulate
all
| these index.dat files and subfolders from months ago, as most
unknowingly do.
| I have always used in my autoexec a ditty where each 24 hours period
runs
| (among other things) a deltree /y history\*.* in its directory that
| automatically deletes the History folder getting All of it's
subfolders &
| contents entirely.. and so at any one time I only have 1 index.dat
file in
| History\History.IE5 with no MSHIST~1 not to mention any older MSHIST~2
| through ~xxx either . There is no reason to store those for anything
imho;
| unless of course you want to leave all the url's of your past where
you've
| gone, available to whomever has the wits to have a lookie...
|
| [...]
|
| Rick

Ok, now I understand what you truly want. You want the History folder to show
as you see it on machine A when accessed across the network from machine B. What
I suggest is you stop using Windows sharing of folders/files and get an app that
is used to access/control machines across the network.

I use PCAnywhere, you can try it/others to find one you like. With PCA, F&P is
not needed, all that's needed is to install it on the machines you want to
access and set them up as a Host with pw protection (advised) or not (not
advisable for any sharing whether pca, windows,etc). Next setup the machines you
want to allow the access from as Clients.You can set the Host machine/s to run
at boot to listen for a request from another machine, if you don't wish to do
this then you must manually start the PCA Host before requesting access from
another machine.

When a Host is accessed with PCA, it's as if you are sitting at the machine,
starting with the desktop being seen on the Client machine. Depending on the
rights/permissions you give the Client depends on what you can do from the
Client machine.

Using a network app such as this, everything you see as a user sitting at the
Host machine, is what you see as a user sitting at the Client machine when
connected to the Host.

--

> Ok, now I understand what you truly want. You want the History folder to
show
> as you see it on machine A when accessed across the network from machine
B. What
> I suggest is you stop using Windows sharing of folders/files and get an
app that
> is used to access/control machines across the network.
>
> I use PCAnywhere, you can try it/others to find one you like.

**
Yes that is one way of doing it.

I am using share to "share" the files and printer on the other computer and
don't need the 'overriding' control of the other computer that PCAnywhere
provides. (So I probably will not go that route.)

Just wondered whether there was an easy way to view those folders the same
on both computers. (Your description/conclusion of the problem/solution is
correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)

I have, a long time ago (before the www), used PCAnywhere when setting up an
office network and it was very handy for transferring files between
computers.
**

<clipped>

There may be a better way if you dig deeper on the web for some type of history
folder viewer that works over a network. On a quick search I found this little
app named IE History Viewer and tested it for viewing over a network. What I
found in my quick test is it will show all links in the History folder on any
networked machine. What it doesn't show ( didn't test enough to truly see) is
the folder and sub-folders. All links are clickable in the app and I only set
the History folder as shared on the test machine, no other folders/files, which
I now have removed. No sharing on this network.

Download the .zip file from:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

Unzip the files (2) into a folder on your preferred machine. It doesn't have to
be the one with the History you want to access.

Connecting it to your networked History:
Run IEHV.exe
Click File > Select History folder
Type in the Name of the machine you want to access and the name of the folder
and click OK.

ex. \\my98\History

You should now be able to see/access the links in the History folder on the host
machine from the client machine.

Right click a link and click Open Link to connect. Mind you, I tested this on
cable access to the net which is always on so I don't know if you'll be prompted
to connect.

--

> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> Ok, now I understand what you truly want. You want the History folder to
> show
>> as you see it on machine A when accessed across the network from machine
> B. What
>> I suggest is you stop using Windows sharing of folders/files and get an
> app that
>> is used to access/control machines across the network.
>>
>> I use PCAnywhere, you can try it/others to find one you like.
>
> **
> Yes that is one way of doing it.
>
> I am using share to "share" the files and printer on the other computer and
> don't need the 'overriding' control of the other computer that PCAnywhere
> provides. (So I probably will not go that route.)
>
> Just wondered whether there was an easy way to view those folders the same
> on both computers. (Your description/conclusion of the problem/solution is
> correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)
>
> I have, a long time ago (before the www), used PCAnywhere when setting up an
> office network and it was very handy for transferring files between
> computers.
> **
>
> <clipped>

Anon wrote:

[..snip..]

> correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)

Actually, you were told a half-dozen times already ;)

Subfolders off of the main History folder only contain index.dat files and
unless you have a separate program to open/view them you will not see
the information (links) within them. Also unless that viewer is capable of
producing/displaying clickable links from that information - otherwise one
would have to manually extract and create them separately.

Rick

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

> Anon wrote:
>
> [..snip..]
>
> > correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)
>
> Actually, you were told a half-dozen times already ;)
>
> Subfolders off of the main History folder only contain index.dat files and
> unless you have a separate program to open/view them you will not see
> the information (links) within them. Also unless that viewer is capable
of
> producing/displaying clickable links from that information - otherwise one
> would have to manually extract and create them separately.

***
To manually extract the information, I would have to write a program to
extract certain fields from the database type file - I have done this and it
is no fun.
****

> Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

**
I searched the whole hard drive for 'spider.exe' and did not find it (so it
is not in c:\windows\history either.
***

Anon wrote:

> ***
> To manually extract the information, I would have to write a program to
> extract certain fields from the database type file - I have done this and
> it is no fun.

Anon, it's easy, you don't need to code anything,
I've already given you the answer on how to do it !
That process only takes 5 seconds to get the data...
Didn't you read my last post on what you can do?
I even detailed it! I guess you missed that part?
This is the closest you can get to what you wanted.

I said you would just copy that particular index.dat file you want from the
shared computers History\HistoryIE.5\MSHistxxx folder and paste it to your
current computer into any created New Folder on the desktop (..then run a
program like spider (or any program that reads index.dat files data and
displays it 'properly') ..and then copy the url links from that info and
then create internet shortcuts with them, or, easy to also just paste the url
info one by one into your current browser address bar and go to that site.

For instance let me show you in a screenshot, the program I use to view
index.dat files is called Spider, I just followed the instructions I gave you
above, ran spider, it instantly searches every single index.dat file on my
computer, and then list the contents within all of them, including the New
Folder you would just have created on your Desktop with your shared
computers index.dat file in it - and that's the info you said you wanted !
....here's a link below of my screenshot of what the above just did and what
that looked like:

http://img164.echo.cx/img164/7148/spider3xx.gif
(realize this only shows the index.dat file contents in the New Folder with
the info you wanted, but of course if you scroll the app there's a list with
all the other index files folders and its contents listed too)

FWIW, Spider does nOt need installation - it's a self-running application.
The Spider.exe itself I give a link to is a harmless simple viewer.
When you open Spider - the only thing you need to do is click its top tab of
File> Search ............and it will do its thing
Highlight the links you want, press Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to paste
the info where you want to, Or, you can go to File> Save> ScanResults.txt

Download Spider here for W9x
http://tinyurl.com/7tbv2

Rick

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

> Anon wrote:
>
> > ***
> > To manually extract the information, I would have to write a program to
> > extract certain fields from the database type file - I have done this
and
> > it is no fun.
>
> Anon, it's easy, you don't need to code anything,
> I've already given you the answer on how to do it !
> That process only takes 5 seconds to get the data...
> Didn't you read my last post on what you can do?
> I even detailed it! I guess you missed that part?
> This is the closest you can get to what you wanted.
>
> I said you would just copy that particular index.dat file you want from
the
> shared computers History\HistoryIE.5\MSHistxxx folder and paste it to your
> current computer into any created New Folder on the desktop (..then run a
> program like spider (or any program that reads index.dat files data and
> displays it 'properly') ..and then copy the url links from that info and
> then create internet shortcuts with them, or, easy to also just paste the
url
> info one by one into your current browser address bar and go to that site.
>
> For instance let me show you in a screenshot, the program I use to view
> index.dat files is called Spider, I just followed the instructions I gave
you
> above, ran spider, it instantly searches every single index.dat file on my
> computer, and then list the contents within all of them, including the New
> Folder you would just have created on your Desktop with your shared
> computers index.dat file in it - and that's the info you said you wanted !
> ...here's a link below of my screenshot of what the above just did and
what
> that looked like:
>
> http://img164.echo.cx/img164/7148/spider3xx.gif
> (realize this only shows the index.dat file contents in the New Folder
with
> the info you wanted, but of course if you scroll the app there's a list
with
> all the other index files folders and its contents listed too)

***
Yes I read that and the 'spider' lost me - where do I find the spider?

Your description sounds great and (what I call) quick and dirty solution.
***