history question

See display question at end!!

When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the urls.

When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending dates
for the file) and is not expandable as above.

When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and printers
option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
above.

Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
61 answers Last reply
More about history question

    Anon wrote:
    > See display question at end!!
    >
    > When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
    > folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
    > urls.
    >
    > When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
    > ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
    > MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending dates
    > for the file) and is not expandable as above.
    >
    > When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and printers
    > option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
    > above.
    >
    > Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
    > paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)

    No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
    run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program
    (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
    other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat folders, or
    the C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you are
    speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that folder
    IE5 even today.

    Rick

    Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

    ***
    Yes and the 'home' computer opened the folder as today, etc.

    The shared computer opened the folder as
    History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat not as above.
    *****

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > > Anon wrote:
    > >> See display question at end!!
    > >>
    > >> When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered
    as
    > >> folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
    > >> urls.
    > >>
    > >> When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
    > >> ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
    > >> MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
    dates
    > >> for the file) and is not expandable as above.
    > >>
    > >> When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
    printers
    > >> option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
    > >> above.
    > >>
    > >> Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the
    first
    > >> paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
    > >
    > > No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access
    and
    > > run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same
    program
    > > (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run
    whatever
    > > other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat
    folders, or
    > > the C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you
    are
    > > speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
    folder
    > > IE5 even today.
    > >
    > > Rick

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > Anon wrote:
    > > See display question at end!!
    > >
    > > When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
    > > folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
    > > urls.
    > >
    > > When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
    > > ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
    > > MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
    dates
    > > for the file) and is not expandable as above.
    > >
    > > When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
    printers
    > > option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
    > > above.
    > >
    > > Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
    > > paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
    >
    > No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
    > run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program

    ****
    I actually executed a couple of the programs on the shared computer - so
    that at least works.
    ***

    > (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
    > other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat folders,
    or
    > the C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you
    are
    > speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
    folder
    > IE5 even today.

    ***
    I also thought that the IE5 DID look peculiar.

    These ARE the folders I am talking about.

    On the 'home' computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as today, etc folders.

    On the shared computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as
    History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat and each then opens as an ordinary
    explorer folder not as today, etc.

    Now is there some way (registry???) to force the 'home' computer to render
    the shared history the way the home computer displays its own history?

    BTW the shared history is in exactly the same folder as the home computer.
    ***

    Brian A. wrote:
    > Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

    Yes but it's further than that, where that particular folder you can find it
    a few ways, one manual way is if you navigate to it in dos or from the
    windows msdos prompt. ...errr, now that I think of it I have my
    autoexec bat always set with:
    SET PROMPT=$p$g
    SET DIRCMD=/A
    ...in order for me to see results with all hidden/system files being shown if
    you do a DIR in dos is what SET DIRCMD=/A does ...and SET PROMPT=$p-$g
    will show drive and current dir when in dos.

    Anyway, easier for most if they use any one of a number of programs to be
    able to see that particular History\History folder index.dat file. Even the
    resident winfile.exe in 'search' will show that folder ..but using specific
    programs like Spider, or others, is where you will see that and actually
    everything of file and url contents all at once.

    C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat
    C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat
    C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat
    C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
    C:\WINDOWS\UserData\index.dat

    Rick

    > Brian A. wrote:
    > > Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?
    >
    > Yes but it's further than that, where that particular folder you can find
    it
    > a few ways, one manual way is if you navigate to it in dos or from the
    > windows msdos prompt. ...errr, now that I think of it I have my
    > autoexec bat always set with:
    > SET PROMPT=$p$g
    > SET DIRCMD=/A
    > ..in order for me to see results with all hidden/system files being shown
    if
    > you do a DIR in dos is what SET DIRCMD=/A does ...and SET PROMPT=$p-$g
    > will show drive and current dir when in dos.
    >
    > Anyway, easier for most if they use any one of a number of programs to be
    > able to see that particular History\History folder index.dat file. Even
    the
    > resident winfile.exe in 'search' will show that folder ..but using
    specific
    > programs like Spider, or others, is where you will see that and actually
    > everything of file and url contents all at once.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat
    > C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat
    > C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat
    > C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
    > C:\WINDOWS\UserData\index.dat

    ****
    No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.
    ***

    Anon wrote:
    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >> Anon wrote:

    [....]

    >> > Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
    >> > paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
    >>
    >> No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
    >> run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program
    >
    > ****
    > I actually executed a couple of the programs on the shared computer - so
    > that at least works.
    > ***
    >
    >> (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
    >> other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat
    >> folders, or the
    >> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you are
    >> speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
    >> folder IE5 even today.
    >
    > ***
    > I also thought that the IE5 DID look peculiar.

    Well it's only cosmetic really, and no biggy and it all still works the same.
    I imagine it's just that the IE6 install routine was never set to rename it
    to 6 is all.

    > These ARE the folders I am talking about.
    >
    > On the 'home' computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as today, etc
    > folders.

    right

    > On the shared computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as
    > History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat and each then opens as an ordinary
    > explorer folder not as today, etc.

    ...I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say with the way you have worded
    that sentence?
    You cannot see or open in a ordinary windows explorer folder, that particular
    C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\ folder, unless
    you have an extra specific program to do so - what program are you using.

    > Now is there some way (registry???) to force the 'home' computer to render
    > the shared history the way the home computer displays its own history?

    As I said before I don't think so in this case, unless of course you use one
    of those programs that lets you have control of their computer from your
    computer and in that way you can operate the computer as if you were really
    there.

    If I knew what you were trying to accomplish by seeing/clicking what url's
    are in their history cache then maybe I could give you more advice about it.

    > BTW the shared history is in exactly the same folder as the home computer.

    Yes it's the same in all 9x's systems with those TWO folders always there:

> [...]
    > > the shared history the way the home computer displays its own history?
    >

    > As I said before I don't think so in this case, unless of course you use
    one
    > of those programs that lets you have control of their computer from your
    > computer and in that way you can operate the computer as if you were
    really
    > there.
    >
    > If I knew what you were trying to accomplish by seeing/clicking what url's
    > are in their history cache then maybe I could give you more advice about
    it.

    > > BTW the shared history is in exactly the same folder as the home
    computer.

    > Yes it's the same in all 9x's systems with those TWO folders always there:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\
    > C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\

    In windows explorer - when I open the windows folder, the is a folder
    labeled 'history' in the right hand box.

    When I open that folder there are several icons - labeled 'today'
    'yesterday' [wednesday], 'day before yesterday', etc.

    When I open any of those they list the urls I visited (these look the same
    as if I had clicked history in internet explorer.)

    If I do the same on the shared hard drive - there is a folder called
    'history' but when I open it I get another folder named history, when I open
    that folder I get the files called IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - not the
    clickable urls.

    Does that make sense??

    Now what I want to do is to open the shared history with clickable urls.

    There are no 'programs' involved in the operation, just opening folders in
    the explorer.
    ***

    > Rick

    Anon wrote:

    [....]

    > No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.

    Anon I know that, but you are replying to the wrong post, and that post was
    not for you but it was for Brian who aksed the question how to find it.

    I guessed you missed the one I replied to you. That's not my fault ;)

    Rick

    > Anon wrote:
    >
    > [....]
    >
    > > No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.
    >
    > Anon I know that, but you are replying to the wrong post, and that post
    was
    > not for you but it was for Brian who aksed the question how to find it.
    >
    > I guessed you missed the one I replied to you. That's not my fault ;)
    >
    > Rick

    ***
    Sorry about my confusion (I guess that is the problem with a couple of
    threads going in one conversation.)

    I have been guilty of doing that myself.
    ***

    Anon wrote:
    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >> Anon wrote:
    >> > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

    [...snips....]

    > In windows explorer - when I open the windows folder, the is a folder
    > labeled 'history' in the right hand box.
    >
    > When I open that folder there are several icons - labeled 'today'
    > 'yesterday' [wednesday], 'day before yesterday', etc.
    >
    > When I open any of those they list the urls I visited (these look the same
    > as if I had clicked history in internet explorer.)

    Yep okay I'm following ya..

    > If I do the same on the shared hard drive

    Okay previously I've never had a reason to look at the History\History
    folders of any computer across a network.

    > - there is a folder called
    > 'history' but when I open it I get another folder named history, when I
    > open that folder I get the files called IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
    > not the clickable urls.
    >
    > Does that make sense??

    Again previously I've never had a reason to look at the History folder on any
    networked computer, and so to check that then let me set my networks
    computer's C:\ drive as shared right now (which I normally never do) and then
    open up Network Neighborhood and take a looks across the network at another
    computer to see what you're telling me...

    ....Well I'll be dipped in chocolate I see that now. I've just never ever
    needed to look at a History folder on a networked computer to see that it
    'uniquely' unveils that folder like that - that's a neat tidbit....
    IE6 needs to be installed to see that where otherwise IE5 does not render
    that other folder. I think with IE6 that's just an oversight and morelikely
    an anomaly that this came about.

    I'm not surprised the url's in that History\History.IE5 folder don't show up
    because for one thing those 2nd and 3rd History folders are only there for
    storing older index.dat files, as compared to the 1st History folder that
    url's are first copied to and then picked up by all other index.dat files to
    store. In all cases the index.dat files 'data' are read from within the file
    itself, and so as mentioned before you will still need to run a program to
    see what's inside of that particuar or any index.dat file.

    > Now what I want to do is to open the shared history with clickable urls.
    >
    > There are no 'programs' involved in the operation, just opening folders in
    > the explorer.

    ...as mentioned above it's not that simple as just opening folders in that
    case since those 2nd and 3rd index.dat folders which are only there to store
    older saved index.dat files in, so again you'll need a program to open those
    particular index.dat files and able to read the data.

    However, back to your question and desire to want to do:

    > Now what I want to do is to open the shared history with clickable urls.

    Yes you can do it, you would just 'copy' whichever particular index.dat file
    you want from the target shared computer to your current computer, then run a
    program like spider or any program that reads index.dat files data and
    displays it properly, and then copy the url links from that info and then
    create internet shortcuts with them - or just paste the url info one by one
    into your current browser address bar ..and go to that site.
    I just did it so it's confirmed - yes it can be done what you want although
    not as straight forward as your first request of just opening the folder to
    see it - you have to work a little (5 seconds) to get the data.....

    Rick

    | Anon wrote:
    | > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    |
    | [...snips....]
    |
    | > In windows explorer - when I open the windows folder, the is a
    folder
    | > labeled 'history' in the right hand box.
    | >
    | > When I open that folder there are several icons - labeled 'today'
    | > 'yesterday' [wednesday], 'day before yesterday', etc.
    | >
    | > When I open any of those they list the urls I visited (these look
    the same
    | > as if I had clicked history in internet explorer.)
    |

    | Yep okay I'm following ya..
    |

    | > If I do the same on the shared hard drive
    |

    | Okay previously I've never had a reason to look at the History\History
    | folders of any computer across a network.
    |
    | > - there is a folder called
    | > 'history' but when I open it I get another folder named history,
    when I
    | > open that folder I get the files called
    IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
    | > not the clickable urls.
    | >
    | > Does that make sense??
    |

    | Again previously I've never had a reason to look at the History folder
    on any
    | networked computer, and so to check that then let me set my networks
    | computer's C:\ drive as shared right now (which I normally never do)
    and then
    | open up Network Neighborhood and take a looks across the network at
    another
    | computer to see what you're telling me...

    | ...Well I'll be dipped in chocolate I see that now.

    Yea, I see it too. It doesn't require a Network connection, either. It
    shows up that way in Explorer on my D:partition, which is a clone of
    C:partition. The MS-DOS name of the 2nd History folder (shown in
    Explorer's Properties) is "History.IE5". Each of the MSHIST~ dirs has
    only an Index.dat inside.

    Here it is in DOS...

    D:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir/a /s
    Directory of D:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5

    INDEX DAT 393,216 02-10-05 12:50a index.dat
    DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
    MSHIST~1 <DIR> 02-07-05 5:16p MSHist012005020720050208
    MSHIST~2 <DIR> 02-08-05 2:57p MSHist012005020820050209
    MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
    MSHIST~3 <DIR> 02-09-05 12:58a MSHist012005020920050210
    MSHIST~7 <DIR> 01-24-05 1:02a MSHist012005011720050124
    MSHIST~9 <DIR> 01-31-05 1:42a MSHist012005012420050131
    MSHIS~11 <DIR> 02-07-05 5:16p MSHist012005013120050207
    MSHIS~12 <DIR> 01-17-05 2:16a MSHist012005011020050117
    2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
    Total files listed:
    2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
    10 dir(s) 6,692.77 MB free

    And this shows at DOS for C:partition (but ONLY at DOS)...

    C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a
    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5

    INDEX DAT 393,216 04-28-05 6:45p index.dat
    DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
    MSHIST~1 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005042620050427
    MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
    MSHIST~2 <DIR> 04-27-05 10:39p MSHist012005042720050428
    MSHIST~3 <DIR> 04-28-05 3:51p MSHist012005042820050429
    MSHIS~10 <DIR> 04-11-05 1:33a MSHist012005040420050411
    MSHIST~9 <DIR> 04-04-05 5:41p MSHist012005032820050404
    MSHIS~11 <DIR> 04-18-05 1:20a MSHist012005041120050418
    MSHIST~8 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005041820050425
    2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
    Total files listed:
    2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
    10 dir(s) 6,729.91 MB free

    | I've just never ever
    | needed to look at a History folder on a networked computer to see that
    it
    | 'uniquely' unveils that folder like that - that's a neat tidbit....
    | IE6 needs to be installed to see that where otherwise IE5 does not
    render
    | that other folder. I think with IE6 that's just an oversight and
    morelikely
    | an anomaly that this came about.

    I'm thinking the extra processing needed to translate the .dat/.ie5
    files/folders into URLs is only done to the system History folder,
    normally C:\Windows\History. That is the only location Windows knows for
    sure holds what it expects to be processed in that way.

    | I'm not surprised the url's in that History\History.IE5 folder don't
    show up
    | because for one thing those 2nd and 3rd History folders are only there
    for
    | storing older index.dat files, as compared to the 1st History folder
    that
    | url's are first copied to and then picked up by all other index.dat
    files to
    | store. In all cases the index.dat files 'data' are read from within
    the file
    | itself, and so as mentioned before you will still need to run a
    program to
    | see what's inside of that particuar or any index.dat file.

    So, Windows wants to be sure these files are what it expects them to be
    before it processes them. I guess it's using location to determine it.
    RegistryDetective finds nine mentionings of C:\Windows\History...

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
    ll Folders
    History "C:\WINDOWS\History"

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\Url History
    Directory "C:\WINDOWS\History"

    ....seven look like this...

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\5.0\Cache\Extensible Cache\MSHist012005032820050404]
    "CachePath"=hex(2):43,3a,5c,57,49,4e,44,4f,57,53,5c,48,69,73,74,6f,72,79
    ,5c,48,\

    69,73,74,6f,72,79,2e,49,45,35,5c,4d,53,48,69,73,74,30,31,32,30,30,35,30,
    33,\
    32,38,32,30,30,35,30,34,30,34,5c,00
    "CachePrefix"=":2005032820050404: "
    "CacheLimit"=dword:00002000
    "CacheOptions"=dword:0000000b
    "CacheRepair"=dword:00000000

    ...."C:\Windows\History" is somewhere in those hex numbers. I was going
    to suggest one might write a little .reg to point the Registry to
    D:partition, BUT it may not be so simple. Looks like each MSHIST~ is in
    there with descriptive info. OTOH, it could be these 7 might auto-adjust
    somehow, just changing the first two Keys (above).

    ODD: There are only 7 Registry keys like that, but 8 folders.

    ....snip...

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    PCR wrote:

    Hi PCR,

    > Yea, I see it too. It doesn't require a Network connection, either. It
    > shows up that way in Explorer on my D:partition, which is a clone of
    > C:partition. The MS-DOS name of the 2nd History folder (shown in
    > Explorer's Properties) is "History.IE5". Each of the MSHIST~ dirs has
    > only an Index.dat inside.

    Well I'll be, yep it's there too ..I just looked across 'local' partitions
    too at my other OS's there and sure enough it shows up that too. I really
    never needed had a reason to look across a Network or now as you pointed out
    other local HD OS partitions besides C:\ at that particular History folder.

    [...]

    > And this shows at DOS for C:partition (but ONLY at DOS)...
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a
    > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5
    >
    > INDEX DAT 393,216 04-28-05 6:45p index.dat
    > DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
    > MSHIST~1 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005042620050427
    > MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
    > MSHIST~2 <DIR> 04-27-05 10:39p MSHist012005042720050428
    > MSHIST~3 <DIR> 04-28-05 3:51p MSHist012005042820050429
    > MSHIS~10 <DIR> 04-11-05 1:33a MSHist012005040420050411
    > MSHIST~9 <DIR> 04-04-05 5:41p MSHist012005032820050404
    > MSHIS~11 <DIR> 04-18-05 1:20a MSHist012005041120050418
    > MSHIST~8 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005041820050425

    ....this shows you don't use any History cleanup and so you accumulate all
    these index.dat files and subfolders from months ago, as most unknowingly do.
    I have always used in my autoexec a ditty where each 24 hours period runs
    (among other things) a deltree /y history\*.* in its directory that
    automatically deletes the History folder getting All of it's subfolders &
    contents entirely.. and so at any one time I only have 1 index.dat file in
    History\History.IE5 with no MSHIST~1 not to mention any older MSHIST~2
    through ~xxx either . There is no reason to store those for anything imho;
    unless of course you want to leave all the url's of your past where you've
    gone, available to whomever has the wits to have a lookie...

    [...]

    Rick

    Actually I did not ask where to find it, I was questioning the OP. My bad, I
    responded to the wrong person.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > Anon wrote:
    >
    > [....]
    >
    >> No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.
    >
    > Anon I know that, but you are replying to the wrong post, and that post was
    > not for you but it was for Brian who aksed the question how to find it.
    >
    > I guessed you missed the one I replied to you. That's not my fault ;)
    >
    > Rick

    Thanks for the information. Well, let's try... "Internet Options, Clear
    History button"...

    C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a /s
    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5
    INDEX DAT 393,216 04-29-05 3:13p index.dat
    DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
    MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
    2 file(s) 393,329 bytes

    It took a couple of tries, but that seems to be less. Also, the 7
    MSHIST~ items at this Registry key have disappeared (on the first
    try)...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\5.0\Cache\Extensible Cache

    I guess I'm happy enough. I'm thinking MSHIST~5 corresponds to the
    single folder that is left in Explorer at C:\WINDOWS\History, which is
    "Today".

    --
    | PCR wrote:
    |
    | Hi PCR,
    |
    | > Yea, I see it too. It doesn't require a Network connection, either.
    It
    | > shows up that way in Explorer on my D:partition, which is a clone of
    | > C:partition. The MS-DOS name of the 2nd History folder (shown in
    | > Explorer's Properties) is "History.IE5". Each of the MSHIST~ dirs
    has
    | > only an Index.dat inside.
    |

    | Well I'll be, yep it's there too ..I just looked across 'local'
    partitions
    | too at my other OS's there and sure enough it shows up that too. I
    really
    | never needed had a reason to look across a Network or now as you
    pointed out
    | other local HD OS partitions besides C:\ at that particular History
    folder.

    | [...]
    |
    | > And this shows at DOS for C:partition (but ONLY at DOS)...
    | >
    | > C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a
    | > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5
    | >
    | > INDEX DAT 393,216 04-28-05 6:45p index.dat
    | > DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
    | > MSHIST~1 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005042620050427
    | > MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
    | > MSHIST~2 <DIR> 04-27-05 10:39p MSHist012005042720050428
    | > MSHIST~3 <DIR> 04-28-05 3:51p MSHist012005042820050429
    | > MSHIS~10 <DIR> 04-11-05 1:33a MSHist012005040420050411
    | > MSHIST~9 <DIR> 04-04-05 5:41p MSHist012005032820050404
    | > MSHIS~11 <DIR> 04-18-05 1:20a MSHist012005041120050418
    | > MSHIST~8 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005041820050425
    |

    | ...this shows you don't use any History cleanup and so you accumulate
    all
    | these index.dat files and subfolders from months ago, as most
    unknowingly do.
    | I have always used in my autoexec a ditty where each 24 hours period
    runs
    | (among other things) a deltree /y history\*.* in its directory that
    | automatically deletes the History folder getting All of it's
    subfolders &
    | contents entirely.. and so at any one time I only have 1 index.dat
    file in
    | History\History.IE5 with no MSHIST~1 not to mention any older MSHIST~2
    | through ~xxx either . There is no reason to store those for anything
    imho;
    | unless of course you want to leave all the url's of your past where
    you've
    | gone, available to whomever has the wits to have a lookie...
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Rick

    Ok, now I understand what you truly want. You want the History folder to show
    as you see it on machine A when accessed across the network from machine B. What
    I suggest is you stop using Windows sharing of folders/files and get an app that
    is used to access/control machines across the network.

    I use PCAnywhere, you can try it/others to find one you like. With PCA, F&P is
    not needed, all that's needed is to install it on the machines you want to
    access and set them up as a Host with pw protection (advised) or not (not
    advisable for any sharing whether pca, windows,etc). Next setup the machines you
    want to allow the access from as Clients.You can set the Host machine/s to run
    at boot to listen for a request from another machine, if you don't wish to do
    this then you must manually start the PCA Host before requesting access from
    another machine.

    When a Host is accessed with PCA, it's as if you are sitting at the machine,
    starting with the desktop being seen on the Client machine. Depending on the
    rights/permissions you give the Client depends on what you can do from the
    Client machine.

    Using a network app such as this, everything you see as a user sitting at the
    Host machine, is what you see as a user sitting at the Client machine when
    connected to the Host.

    --

    > Ok, now I understand what you truly want. You want the History folder to
    show
    > as you see it on machine A when accessed across the network from machine
    B. What
    > I suggest is you stop using Windows sharing of folders/files and get an
    app that
    > is used to access/control machines across the network.
    >
    > I use PCAnywhere, you can try it/others to find one you like.

    **
    Yes that is one way of doing it.

    I am using share to "share" the files and printer on the other computer and
    don't need the 'overriding' control of the other computer that PCAnywhere
    provides. (So I probably will not go that route.)

    Just wondered whether there was an easy way to view those folders the same
    on both computers. (Your description/conclusion of the problem/solution is
    correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)

    I have, a long time ago (before the www), used PCAnywhere when setting up an
    office network and it was very handy for transferring files between
    computers.
    **

    <clipped>

    There may be a better way if you dig deeper on the web for some type of history
    folder viewer that works over a network. On a quick search I found this little
    app named IE History Viewer and tested it for viewing over a network. What I
    found in my quick test is it will show all links in the History folder on any
    networked machine. What it doesn't show ( didn't test enough to truly see) is
    the folder and sub-folders. All links are clickable in the app and I only set
    the History folder as shared on the test machine, no other folders/files, which
    I now have removed. No sharing on this network.

    Download the .zip file from:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

    Unzip the files (2) into a folder on your preferred machine. It doesn't have to
    be the one with the History you want to access.

    Connecting it to your networked History:
    Run IEHV.exe
    Click File > Select History folder
    Type in the Name of the machine you want to access and the name of the folder
    and click OK.

    ex. \\my98\History

    You should now be able to see/access the links in the History folder on the host
    machine from the client machine.

    Right click a link and click Open Link to connect. Mind you, I tested this on
    cable access to the net which is always on so I don't know if you'll be prompted
    to connect.

    --

    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >> Ok, now I understand what you truly want. You want the History folder to
    > show
    >> as you see it on machine A when accessed across the network from machine
    > B. What
    >> I suggest is you stop using Windows sharing of folders/files and get an
    > app that
    >> is used to access/control machines across the network.
    >>
    >> I use PCAnywhere, you can try it/others to find one you like.
    >
    > **
    > Yes that is one way of doing it.
    >
    > I am using share to "share" the files and printer on the other computer and
    > don't need the 'overriding' control of the other computer that PCAnywhere
    > provides. (So I probably will not go that route.)
    >
    > Just wondered whether there was an easy way to view those folders the same
    > on both computers. (Your description/conclusion of the problem/solution is
    > correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)
    >
    > I have, a long time ago (before the www), used PCAnywhere when setting up an
    > office network and it was very handy for transferring files between
    > computers.
    > **
    >
    > <clipped>

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Anon wrote:

    [..snip..]

    > correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)

    Actually, you were told a half-dozen times already ;)

    Subfolders off of the main History folder only contain index.dat files and
    unless you have a separate program to open/view them you will not see
    the information (links) within them. Also unless that viewer is capable of
    producing/displaying clickable links from that information - otherwise one
    would have to manually extract and create them separately.

    Rick
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Anon wrote:
    >
    > [..snip..]
    >
    > > correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)
    >
    > Actually, you were told a half-dozen times already ;)
    >
    > Subfolders off of the main History folder only contain index.dat files and
    > unless you have a separate program to open/view them you will not see
    > the information (links) within them. Also unless that viewer is capable
    of
    > producing/displaying clickable links from that information - otherwise one
    > would have to manually extract and create them separately.

    ***
    To manually extract the information, I would have to write a program to
    extract certain fields from the database type file - I have done this and it
    is no fun.
    ****

    > Rick

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

    **
    I searched the whole hard drive for 'spider.exe' and did not find it (so it
    is not in c:\windows\history either.
    ***
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > See display question at end!!
    > >
    > > When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
    > > folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
    urls.

    > > When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
    > > ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
    > > MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
    dates
    > > for the file) and is not expandable as above.
    > >
    > > When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
    printers
    > > option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
    > > above.
    > >
    > > Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
    > > paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Anon wrote:

    > ***
    > To manually extract the information, I would have to write a program to
    > extract certain fields from the database type file - I have done this and
    > it is no fun.

    Anon, it's easy, you don't need to code anything,
    I've already given you the answer on how to do it !
    That process only takes 5 seconds to get the data...
    Didn't you read my last post on what you can do?
    I even detailed it! I guess you missed that part?
    This is the closest you can get to what you wanted.

    I said you would just copy that particular index.dat file you want from the
    shared computers History\HistoryIE.5\MSHistxxx folder and paste it to your
    current computer into any created New Folder on the desktop (..then run a
    program like spider (or any program that reads index.dat files data and
    displays it 'properly') ..and then copy the url links from that info and
    then create internet shortcuts with them, or, easy to also just paste the url
    info one by one into your current browser address bar and go to that site.

    For instance let me show you in a screenshot, the program I use to view
    index.dat files is called Spider, I just followed the instructions I gave you
    above, ran spider, it instantly searches every single index.dat file on my
    computer, and then list the contents within all of them, including the New
    Folder you would just have created on your Desktop with your shared
    computers index.dat file in it - and that's the info you said you wanted !
    ....here's a link below of my screenshot of what the above just did and what
    that looked like:

    http://img164.echo.cx/img164/7148/spider3xx.gif
    (realize this only shows the index.dat file contents in the New Folder with
    the info you wanted, but of course if you scroll the app there's a list with
    all the other index files folders and its contents listed too)

    FWIW, Spider does nOt need installation - it's a self-running application.
    The Spider.exe itself I give a link to is a harmless simple viewer.
    When you open Spider - the only thing you need to do is click its top tab of
    File> Search ............and it will do its thing
    Highlight the links you want, press Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to paste
    the info where you want to, Or, you can go to File> Save> ScanResults.txt

    Download Spider here for W9x
    http://tinyurl.com/7tbv2

    Rick
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Anon wrote:
    >
    > > ***
    > > To manually extract the information, I would have to write a program to
    > > extract certain fields from the database type file - I have done this
    and
    > > it is no fun.
    >
    > Anon, it's easy, you don't need to code anything,
    > I've already given you the answer on how to do it !
    > That process only takes 5 seconds to get the data...
    > Didn't you read my last post on what you can do?
    > I even detailed it! I guess you missed that part?
    > This is the closest you can get to what you wanted.
    >
    > I said you would just copy that particular index.dat file you want from
    the
    > shared computers History\HistoryIE.5\MSHistxxx folder and paste it to your
    > current computer into any created New Folder on the desktop (..then run a
    > program like spider (or any program that reads index.dat files data and
    > displays it 'properly') ..and then copy the url links from that info and
    > then create internet shortcuts with them, or, easy to also just paste the
    url
    > info one by one into your current browser address bar and go to that site.
    >
    > For instance let me show you in a screenshot, the program I use to view
    > index.dat files is called Spider, I just followed the instructions I gave
    you
    > above, ran spider, it instantly searches every single index.dat file on my
    > computer, and then list the contents within all of them, including the New
    > Folder you would just have created on your Desktop with your shared
    > computers index.dat file in it - and that's the info you said you wanted !
    > ...here's a link below of my screenshot of what the above just did and
    what
    > that looked like:
    >
    > http://img164.echo.cx/img164/7148/spider3xx.gif
    > (realize this only shows the index.dat file contents in the New Folder
    with
    > the info you wanted, but of course if you scroll the app there's a list
    with
    > all the other index files folders and its contents listed too)

    ***
    Yes I read that and the 'spider' lost me - where do I find the spider?

    Your description sounds great and (what I call) quick and dirty solution.
    ***

    > FWIW, Spider does nOt need installation - it's a self-running application.
    > The Spider.exe itself I give a link to is a harmless simple viewer.
    > When you open Spider - the only thing you need to do is click its top tab
    of
    > File> Search ............and it will do its thing
    > Highlight the links you want, press Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to
    paste
    > the info where you want to, Or, you can go to File> Save> ScanResults.txt
    >
    > Download Spider here for W9x
    > http://tinyurl.com/7tbv2
    >
    > Rick

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    <snipped>

    > FWIW, Spider does nOt need installation - it's a self-running application.
    > The Spider.exe itself I give a link to is a harmless simple viewer.
    > When you open Spider - the only thing you need to do is click its top tab of
    > File> Search ............and it will do its thing
    > Highlight the links you want, press Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to paste
    > the info where you want to, Or, you can go to File> Save> ScanResults.txt

    IEHV also does not install but runs from the .exe (35 kb) to view the History
    folder.
    Help file included. (15 kb)
    Views the History folder and sub-folders from local user/profiles and remote
    computers.
    No copy/paste as the links shown are executable from within the app.
    Can delete or save URL's to an HTML or XML file.
    Has command line options.

    Possible downside, you cannot view the typed URL's list if choose to watch the
    history data from another computer or from another operating system. This only
    applies to the last 25 typed URL's added/kept in the registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

    All other URL's are viewable/executable.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Anon wrote:
    \> ***
    > Yes I read that and the 'spider' lost me - where do I find the spider?
    >
    > Your description sounds great and (what I call) quick and dirty solution.
    > ***

    You're teasing me right? o:)
    It's hard to understand why you are asking me where do you find spider?

    Didn't you see the download link for it at the bottom of my last message?

    Did the two links I gave you in my last message show up for you?

    Were you able to even see the gif screenshot link I gave you?
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hi Brian.

    I've never seen IEHV before until today.

    It looks promising - It has its up sides, and downsides as you pointed
    out.

    Thanks for mentioning it. I will play with more when I get a chance. I
    personally don't ever need to really see what's in my index.dat files though
    and so just because I've been speaking about it in this post is just for the
    sake of Anon. Any url's I would ever need are in the current day's history
    folder easily available, anything beyond that for me gets automatically
    deleted once a day. I have no use for them.

    I like spider for Anon because how it categorizes and individualizes all the
    different index.dat folders, and for Anon taking the index.dat file from a
    different computer and be able to read it separately on his is ideal. It
    would be nice if spider had exportable html yes (it's not in development
    anymore though, also I only included just the viewer portion of the program
    in my link on purpose but left out spiderbite.exe and the help file - because
    I wanted to keep it very very simple and to suggest its use Only as a
    index.dat viewer.

    Rick

    Brian A. wrote:
    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > <snipped>
    >
    >> FWIW, Spider does nOt need installation - it's a self-running application.
    >> The Spider.exe itself I give a link to is a harmless simple viewer.
    >> When you open Spider - the only thing you need to do is click its top tab
    >> of File> Search ............and it will do its thing
    >> Highlight the links you want, press Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to
    >> paste the info where you want to, Or, you can go to File> Save>
    >> ScanResults.txt
    >
    > IEHV also does not install but runs from the .exe (35 kb) to view the
    > History folder.
    > Help file included. (15 kb)
    > Views the History folder and sub-folders from local user/profiles and
    > remote computers.
    > No copy/paste as the links shown are executable from within the app.
    > Can delete or save URL's to an HTML or XML file.
    > Has command line options.
    >
    > Possible downside, you cannot view the typed URL's list if choose to
    > watch the history data from another computer or from another operating
    > system. This only applies to the last 25 typed URL's added/kept in the
    > registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    > Explorer\TypedURLs
    >
    > All other URL's are viewable/executable.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Actually I didn't know about it either until I ran a little search, yet it will
    serve a good purpose for one of my brothers. He has a growing teenage son who as
    of lately is checking out xxx site. He has become wise enough to delete all web
    activity info after his machine was wiped/reinstalled twice due to infections.
    He attempts to leave no trace behind.

    I believe spider would be a much safer app for those that are not fully aware
    of the consequences to clicking a live visited URL. I realize why you mention it
    as my mentioning was because Anon wanted network access to the history folder in
    a "simple" fashion.

    --

    > Hi Brian.
    >
    > I've never seen IEHV before until today.
    >
    > It looks promising - It has its up sides, and downsides as you pointed
    > out.
    >
    > Thanks for mentioning it. I will play with more when I get a chance. I
    > personally don't ever need to really see what's in my index.dat files though
    > and so just because I've been speaking about it in this post is just for the
    > sake of Anon. Any url's I would ever need are in the current day's history
    > folder easily available, anything beyond that for me gets automatically
    > deleted once a day. I have no use for them.
    >
    > I like spider for Anon because how it categorizes and individualizes all the
    > different index.dat folders, and for Anon taking the index.dat file from a
    > different computer and be able to read it separately on his is ideal. It
    > would be nice if spider had exportable html yes (it's not in development
    > anymore though, also I only included just the viewer portion of the program
    > in my link on purpose but left out spiderbite.exe and the help file - because
    > I wanted to keep it very very simple and to suggest its use Only as a
    > index.dat viewer.
    >
    > Rick
    >

    > Brian A. wrote:
    >> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >> <snipped>
    >>
    >>> FWIW, Spider does nOt need installation - it's a self-running application.
    >>> The Spider.exe itself I give a link to is a harmless simple viewer.
    >>> When you open Spider - the only thing you need to do is click its top tab
    >>> of File> Search ............and it will do its thing
    >>> Highlight the links you want, press Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to
    >>> paste the info where you want to, Or, you can go to File> Save>
    >>> ScanResults.txt
    >>
    >> IEHV also does not install but runs from the .exe (35 kb) to view the
    >> History folder.
    >> Help file included. (15 kb)
    >> Views the History folder and sub-folders from local user/profiles and
    >> remote computers.
    >> No copy/paste as the links shown are executable from within the app.
    >> Can delete or save URL's to an HTML or XML file.
    >> Has command line options.
    >>
    >> Possible downside, you cannot view the typed URL's list if choose to
    >> watch the history data from another computer or from another operating
    >> system. This only applies to the last 25 typed URL's added/kept in the
    >> registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    >> Explorer\TypedURLs
    >>
    >> All other URL's are viewable/executable.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Brian A. Sesko
    >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You responded to a question of mine from the beginning of this thread, which had
    nothing to do with spider.

    Rick provided a download link in at least one of his more recent responses.

    Here is the link to the authors page which has info and can be downloaded from.
    http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

    --

    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >> Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?
    >>

    > **
    > I searched the whole hard drive for 'spider.exe' and did not find it (so it
    > is not in c:\windows\history either.
    > ***
    >> --
    >>
    >> Brian A. Sesko
    >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > See display question at end!!
    >> >
    >> > When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
    >> > folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
    > urls.
    >> >
    >> > When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
    >> > ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
    >> > MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
    > dates
    >> > for the file) and is not expandable as above.
    >> >
    >> > When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
    > printers
    >> > option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
    >> > above.
    >> >
    >> > Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
    >> > paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > You responded to a question of mine from the beginning of this thread,
    which had
    > nothing to do with spider.
    >
    > Rick provided a download link in at least one of his more recent
    >
    > Here is the link to the authors page which has info and can be downloaded
    from.
    > http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

    **
    Thanks for the link (I had missed the spider link in his earlier post - I
    had not quite gotten cued in on using a 'spider' to read the history files.
    ***
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > >> Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?
    > >>

    > > **
    > > I searched the whole hard drive for 'spider.exe' and did not find it (so
    it
    > > is not in c:\windows\history either.
    > > ***
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Brian A. Sesko
    > >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >>

    > >> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > urls.

    > > dates

    > > printers

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Brian A. wrote:
    > You responded to a question of mine from the beginning of this thread,
    > which had nothing to do with spider.
    >
    > Rick provided a download link in at least one of his more recent responses.
    >
    > Here is the link to the authors page which has info and can be downloaded
    > from. http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

    I could have and wanted to but the Only reason Brian why I did not give him
    Ward's websites link like you just did, and chose to upload just the
    spider.exe to him on my website and link it, was just because I did not want
    to confuse him with the other intention for using spider with the
    spiderbite.exe - which speaking of that different spiderbite.exe and knowing
    that it doesn't completely work for IE6 anyway (since it's out of development
    as mentioned)

    The original website which just offers too much information about deleting
    the url links and such (within IE5x) ...so since he has IE6x, I didn't want
    to confuse the issue with that and so only wanted to point out just to use
    the Spider.exe for him which is just a simpleViewer - but it views All
    index.dat files and not just certain ones in certain places like iehv.exe

    I did have a reason and purpose for why I did it the way I did and was trying
    to be helpful.

    Rick

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Brian A. wrote:
    > Actually I didn't know about it either until I ran a little search, yet it
    > will serve a good purpose for one of my brothers. He has a growing teenage
    > son who as of lately is checking out xxx site. He has become wise enough
    > to delete all web activity info after his machine was wiped/reinstalled
    > twice due to infections. He attempts to leave no trace behind.

    hehe, lol to read about his son and his attempts.
    understood.
    certainly my reasoning for using bootday.com in conjunction with autoexec to
    refresh/rebuild all my index.dat files each day is not because I'm hiding
    url's I've been to, especially prono sites (happily married for 25 years now
    so no need for that stuff :) ...I just do it as a matter of principle.
    Anyway, I understand what you mean.
    It's easy to eliminate every mi-nute last spec of any traces though these
    days, if one knows what to do ..we won't tell his son though <g>.

    > I believe spider would be a much safer app for those that are not fully
    > aware of the consequences to clicking a live visited URL.

    Well I mentioned it not just because spider doesn't show it all in live
    clickable links - actually I wish it did.

    > I realize why you mention it

    Well I wasn't sure you did actually, and although I well realize you're very
    knowledgeable and have been around a long time, I also realize in the process
    of skimming so many posts everyday and typing replies, and the limited way we
    have of typing words to cover all meanings at once is not infallible
    everytime, while trying to pickup on the OP's real meaning completely.

    I took what Anon asked in his OP literally and when he asked
    about the index.dat file within the History\HistoryIE.5\MSHistxxx folders I
    took that literally and saw you mention and speak about just the first
    History folder, but if he wants access to those older subfolders of
    history\historyIE.5\mshistxxx then that requires something like spider which
    goes deeper and aamof it actually searches the complete partition you point
    it to for All index.dat files irregardless of their location at any one given
    moment, and so in Anon's situation and taking an index.dat file from one
    machine and putting it on another in any new folder he chose, still, spider
    will find it, and so in that regard I found it ideal to mention to use
    spider... iehv.exe is not able to do that and limitedly searches specific
    front index.dat files, although yes its html export is excellent for sure
    without a doubt.

    > as my mentioning was because Anon wanted network access to
    > the history folder in a "simple" fashion.

    Yes agreed he wanted to do it in a simple fashion, but again taking literally
    what he said, he said he wanted to access a 'shared computers'
    History\HistoryIE.5\MSHistxxx folders index.dat files contents, and afaik
    there is no program that will do it that way yet, and so if he wants to read
    the data inside an old index.dat from on a different shared computer without
    having to install a separate program like pcanywhere or such, he will have to
    copy that particular index.dat file to his computer, and so it is that unique
    request of what he wanted to do, is why I answered him with the outline of
    what to do the way I did.

    Rick

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Brian.
    >>
    >> I've never seen IEHV before until today.
    >>
    >> It looks promising - It has its up sides, and downsides as you pointed
    >> out.
    >>
    >> Thanks for mentioning it. I will play with more when I get a chance. I
    >> personally don't ever need to really see what's in my index.dat files
    >> though and so just because I've been speaking about it in this post is
    >> just for the sake of Anon. Any url's I would ever need are in the
    >> current day's history folder easily available, anything beyond that for
    >> me gets automatically deleted once a day. I have no use for them.
    >>
    >> I like spider for Anon because how it categorizes and individualizes all
    >> the different index.dat folders, and for Anon taking the index.dat file
    >> from a different computer and be able to read it separately on his is
    >> ideal. It would be nice if spider had exportable html yes (it's not in
    >> development anymore though, also I only included just the viewer portion
    >> of the program in my link on purpose but left out spiderbite.exe and the
    >> help file - because I wanted to keep it very very simple and to suggest
    >> its use Only as a index.dat viewer.
    >>
    >> Rick
    >>

    >> Brian A. wrote:
    >>> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >>> <snipped>

    >>> IEHV also does not install but runs from the .exe (35 kb) to view the
    >>> History folder.
    >>> Help file included. (15 kb)
    >>> Views the History folder and sub-folders from local user/profiles and
    >>> remote computers.
    >>> No copy/paste as the links shown are executable from within the app.
    >>> Can delete or save URL's to an HTML or XML file.
    >>> Has command line options.
    >>>
    >>> Possible downside, you cannot view the typed URL's list if choose to
    >>> watch the history data from another computer or from another operating
    >>> system. This only applies to the last 25 typed URL's added/kept in the
    >>> registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    >>> Explorer\TypedURLs
    >>>
    >>> All other URL's are viewable/executable.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Brian A. Sesko
    >>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Anon, did you get the links I gave you?

    You only need to use just the 'spider.exe' irregardless of where you want to
    download it from. The link I gave you just has the spider.exe and that's all
    you need or should use, that's why I gave you the link I did.

    > I had not quite gotten cued in on using a 'spider' to read the history
    > files.

    Spider really is just a name the person who made gave it, actually it's just
    a simple index.dat file viewer. I guess he named it spider since it in some
    ways crawls into every nook and cranny of a hard drives partition to look
    for and find index.dat files.

    Rick
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested. Once it shows
    the URL's you can:
    Double click any one to go to the site
    Select one or more and save as a text, XML or HTML file.

    It will even run from a floppy that you can put in the other machine and save
    the URL's to file.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:28:51 -0500, "Brian A."

    > Actually I didn't know about it either until I ran a little search, yet it will
    >serve a good purpose for one of my brothers. He has a growing teenage son who as
    >of lately is checking out xxx site. He has become wise enough to delete all web
    >activity info after his machine was wiped/reinstalled twice due to infections.
    >He attempts to leave no trace behind.

    Fair enough. What he needs to learn is how to do what he wants to do
    without putting the PC (especially a shared PC) at risk. I'd suggest
    staying off web sites and using an attachment-safe - show extensions
    (file name extensions, I mean), don't autorun attachments - news
    reader to peruse the recreational graphics newsgroups.

    Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
    >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I wish it were that simple, 5 brothers + 4 sisters and lets not forget Mom &
    Pop. I can't count how many times I stress the need for tighter security on
    their machines. The toughest one I have is with their email. After setting not
    to use Preview Pane, not to open attachments and read all in plain text, once
    I'm gone they change it back. It's hard to back out on family, yet there are a
    few I've warned that if they insist on their preferred ways then they're on
    their own.

    --

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:giec71t4p9rjbf6cli2hort6lfcu69u8tj@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:28:51 -0500, "Brian A."
    >
    >> Actually I didn't know about it either until I ran a little search, yet it
    >> will
    >>serve a good purpose for one of my brothers. He has a growing teenage son who
    >>as
    >>of lately is checking out xxx site. He has become wise enough to delete all
    >>web
    >>activity info after his machine was wiped/reinstalled twice due to infections.
    >>He attempts to leave no trace behind.
    >
    > Fair enough. What he needs to learn is how to do what he wants to do
    > without putting the PC (especially a shared PC) at risk. I'd suggest
    > staying off web sites and using an attachment-safe - show extensions
    > (file name extensions, I mean), don't autorun attachments - news
    > reader to peruse the recreational graphics newsgroups.
    >

    >>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    > Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
    >>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Brian A. wrote:
    > If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested.

    Again, that app does not show index.dat files in History\History subfolders,
    it only shows them in History\ ..which is not what he asked for, besides it
    can do anything over a Network, and even if he copied the index.dat file back
    to his current HD your app will not see it.
    I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?

    However his best bet is to use that second app I just newly suggested to him
    in the 'bottom' PS ..of my last post. It actually can Browse across to
    Shared Computers on the Network, and it does see his History\History
    index.dat folder there, and it also has Live Clickalbe links available right
    on the spot - it's the best of all worlds. I tested it, confirmed.

    Rick

    > shows the URL's you can:
    > Double click any one to go to the site
    > Select one or more and save as a text, XML or HTML file.
    >
    > It will even run from a floppy that you can put in the other machine and
    > save the URL's to file.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Brian A. wrote:
    > > If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested.
    >
    > Again, that app does not show index.dat files in History\History
    subfolders,
    > it only shows them in History\ ..which is not what he asked for, besides
    it
    > can do anything over a Network, and even if he copied the index.dat file
    back
    > to his current HD your app will not see it.
    > I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?
    >
    > However his best bet is to use that second app I just newly suggested to
    him
    > in the 'bottom' PS ..of my last post. It actually can Browse across to
    > Shared Computers on the Network, and it does see his History\History
    > index.dat folder there, and it also has Live Clickalbe links available
    right
    > on the spot - it's the best of all worlds. I tested it, confirmed.

    **
    I downloaded the file from http://www.fsm.nl/ward/ and tested it.

    It did not find the files I had copied from the shared computer and placed
    on my desktop. It found only the native history files.
    ***

    > Rick
    >

    > > shows the URL's you can:
    > > Double click any one to go to the site
    > > Select one or more and save as a text, XML or HTML file.
    > >
    > > It will even run from a floppy that you can put in the other machine and
    > > save the URL's to file.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Brian A. Sesko
    > > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > > Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > Brian A. wrote:
    >> If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested.
    >
    > Again, that app does not show index.dat files in History\History subfolders,
    > it only shows them in History\ ..which is not what he asked for, besides it
    > can do anything over a Network, and even if he copied the index.dat file back
    > to his current HD your app will not see it.
    > I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?

    I sure did and it showed me all the URLs ( which are clickable ) in every
    remote machines history folder including XP on my network, without the app I
    wasn't able to see them. It's as simple as sharing the history folder, running
    the app which defaults to the local history file upon execution, click File >
    Select History Folder, type in the LAN path or browse to the shared history,
    select it and click OK. All of the remote machines URLs appear on the screen in
    the windows app of the local machine. If you can't see them then it would appear
    you're not sharing the folder properly or not using the proper path to the
    remote machines history folder.

    I even ran it from a floppy to access the remote machines folders without a
    problem.

    > However his best bet is to use that second app I just newly suggested to him
    > in the 'bottom' PS ..of my last post. It actually can Browse across to
    > Shared Computers on the Network, and it does see his History\History
    > index.dat folder there, and it also has Live Clickalbe links available right
    > on the spot - it's the best of all worlds. I tested it, confirmed.

    The app I suggested does the same and can also save them as a text, XML or HTML
    file.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > > Brian A. wrote:
    > >> If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested.
    > >
    > > Again, that app does not show index.dat files in History\History
    subfolders,
    > > it only shows them in History\ ..which is not what he asked for, besides
    it
    > > can do anything over a Network, and even if he copied the index.dat file
    back
    > > to his current HD your app will not see it.
    > > I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?
    >
    > I sure did and it showed me all the URLs ( which are clickable ) in every
    > remote machines history folder including XP on my network, without the app
    > wasn't able to see them. It's as simple as sharing the history folder,
    running
    > the app which defaults to the local history file upon execution, click
    File >
    > Select History Folder, type in the LAN path or browse to the shared
    history,
    > select it and click OK. All of the remote machines URLs appear on the
    screen in
    > the windows app of the local machine. If you can't see them then it would
    appear
    > you're not sharing the folder properly or not using the proper path to the
    > remote machines history folder.
    >
    > I even ran it from a floppy to access the remote machines folders without
    > problem.
    >

    > > However his best bet is to use that second app I just newly suggested to
    him
    > > in the 'bottom' PS ..of my last post. It actually can Browse across to
    > > Shared Computers on the Network, and it does see his History\History
    > > index.dat folder there, and it also has Live Clickalbe links available
    right
    > > on the spot - it's the best of all worlds. I tested it, confirmed.
    >
    > The app I suggested does the same and can also save them as a text, XML
    or HTML
    > file.

    **
    The various programs (spiders) DO extract the URLs from HISTORY on the
    native computer - they do not extract the URLs from the history folder
    copied from the shared computer.

    THOSE are the URLs I want. (I can read the URLs on my computer in the normal
    method (click on history in ie.)
    ***
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I have checked your second app and it's quite nice not to mention more user
    friendly.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    > Brian A. wrote:
    >> If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested.
    >
    > Again, that app does not show index.dat files in History\History subfolders,
    > it only shows them in History\ ..which is not what he asked for, besides it
    > can do anything over a Network, and even if he copied the index.dat file back
    > to his current HD your app will not see it.
    > I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?
    >
    > However his best bet is to use that second app I just newly suggested to him
    > in the 'bottom' PS ..of my last post. It actually can Browse across to
    > Shared Computers on the Network, and it does see his History\History
    > index.dat folder there, and it also has Live Clickalbe links available right
    > on the spot - it's the best of all worlds. I tested it, confirmed.
    >
    > Rick
    >

    >> shows the URL's you can:
    >> Double click any one to go to the site
    >> Select one or more and save as a text, XML or HTML file.
    >>
    >> It will even run from a floppy that you can put in the other machine and
    >> save the URL's to file.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Brian A. Sesko
    >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > The various programs (spiders) DO extract the URLs from HISTORY on the
    > native computer - they do not extract the URLs from the history folder
    > copied from the shared computer.
    >
    > THOSE are the URLs I want. (I can read the URLs on my computer in the normal
    > method (click on history in ie.)
    > ***

    What I typed in my repeated response below will get you what you are asking
    with the app I suggested and the second app Rick suggested. I have tested both
    and have had no problem seeing the URL's on my Local machine from any of my
    Remote machines, XP included. I tried Spider but unfortunately only on XP where
    it didn't find anything.

    I would like to suggest that you download/use the second app Rick suggested as
    it is more user friendly.

    You can try either or both the one I suggested and/or Ricks.

    Ricks suggested link:
    http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite

    Mine:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

    >> > Brian A. wrote:

    >> It's as simple as sharing the history folder,
    > running
    >> the app which defaults to the local history file upon execution, click
    > File >
    >> Select History Folder, type in the LAN path or browse to the shared
    > history,
    >> select it and click OK. All of the remote machines URLs appear on the
    > screen in
    >> the windows app of the local machine. If you can't see them then it would
    > appear
    >> you're not sharing the folder properly or not using the proper path to the
    >> remote machines history folder.
    >>
    >> I even ran it from a floppy to access the remote machines folders without
    >> problem.
  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > The various programs (spiders) DO extract the URLs from HISTORY on the
    > > native computer - they do not extract the URLs from the history folder
    > > copied from the shared computer.
    > >
    > > THOSE are the URLs I want. (I can read the URLs on my computer in the
    normal
    > > method (click on history in ie.)
    > > ***
    >
    > What I typed in my repeated response below will get you what you are
    asking
    > with the app I suggested and the second app Rick suggested. I have tested
    both
    > and have had no problem seeing the URL's on my Local machine from any of
    my
    > Remote machines, XP included. I tried Spider but unfortunately only on XP
    where
    > it didn't find anything.
    >
    > I would like to suggest that you download/use the second app Rick
    suggested as
    > it is more user friendly.
    >
    > You can try either or both the one I suggested and/or Ricks.
    >
    > Ricks suggested link:
    > http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite
    >
    > Mine:
    > http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

    **
    I tried both of these -
    it-mate page - when I clicked download the page I clicked on just refreshed
    (checked URL of link and it was the same page)
    iehv - long list of URLs but no indication any were from the folder copied
    from shared computer.

    The other links (from other posts) did not 'see' shared computer folder.
    ***

    > >> It's as simple as sharing the history folder,
    > > running
    > >> the app which defaults to the local history file upon execution, click
    > > File >
    > >> Select History Folder, type in the LAN path or browse to the shared
    > > history,
    > >> select it and click OK. All of the remote machines URLs appear on the
    > > screen in
    > >> the windows app of the local machine. If you can't see them then it
    would
    > > appear
    > >> you're not sharing the folder properly or not using the proper path to
    the
    > >> remote machines history folder.
    > >>
    > >> I even ran it from a floppy to access the remote machines folders
    without
    > >> problem.

  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Brian A. wrote:
    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

    [...]

    >> I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?

    > I sure did and it showed me all the URLs ( which are clickable ) in every

    I just ran that app again to check, errr, you're right ...apologies
    I just did not see the Browse button there the first time and so never used
    it to be able to search the Network, which I see now yes it does do what you
    said ...again, apologies, I just didn't see it and was working on too many
    things at once that day to give it the full attention it needed.

    Thanks Brian,

    Rick

    [...]

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    No apologies needed, you're not alone on those type of days.

    --

    > Brian A. wrote:
    >> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >>> I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?
    >
    >> I sure did and it showed me all the URLs ( which are clickable ) in every
    >
    > I just ran that app again to check, errr, you're right ...apologies
    > I just did not see the Browse button there the first time and so never used
    > it to be able to search the Network, which I see now yes it does do what you
    > said ...again, apologies, I just didn't see it and was working on too many
    > things at once that day to give it the full attention it needed.
    >
    > Thanks Brian,
    >
    > Rick
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> --
    >>
    >> Brian A. Sesko
    >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > ...just as well because I can see it will be much much better for you to use
    > the other program below anyway, by far.
    >
    > http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&act=DL&p=index.datsuite&g=idsuite_noins.zip

    I agree with Rick, and it is as close as you'll (Anon) get to what is wanted.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Mon, 2 May 2005 10:20:39 -0700, "Anon"
    >"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
    >> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:28:51 -0500, "Brian A."

    >> > it will serve a good purpose for one of my brothers. He has a growing
    >> > teenage son who as of lately is checking out xxx site. He has become
    >> > wise enough to delete all web activity info after his machine was
    >> > wiped/reinstalled twice due to infections. He attempts to leave no
    >> > trace behind.

    >> Fair enough. What he needs to learn is how to do what he wants to do
    >> without putting the PC (especially a shared PC) at risk. I'd suggest
    >> staying off web sites and using an attachment-safe - show extensions
    >> (file name extensions, I mean), don't autorun attachments - news
    >> reader to peruse the recreational graphics newsgroups.

    >Actually, when I access the shared computer, all I want to do is copy files
    >therefrom (not change anything on that hard drive.
    >Therefore, I am leaving no trace of my access to it.

    I wasn't thinking of whoever is strying to snoop on the teenager's
    activities, but what the teenager himself needs to know to protect his
    privacy, while not giving grounds to others to breach that privacy.

    "Now that my activities no longer disrupt your use of the computer or
    put it risk, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep your nose out of my
    business, thanks. If you want to get your rocks off as a voyuer, I
    can recommend some binary newsgroups; read 'em yourself <g> "

    >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en

    ***
    Do I really NEED VB!! And why?? Is there a good reason??? Or is this just
    another app to fill up the hard drive and memory??
    ***

Microsoft Windows Displays