  • Displays
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 27, 2005 6:04:40 PM

See display question at end!!

When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the urls.

When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending dates
for the file) and is not expandable as above.

When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and printers
option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
above.

Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)

More about : history question

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:13:33 PM

Anon wrote:
> See display question at end!!
>
> When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
> folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
> urls.
>
> When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
> ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
> MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending dates
> for the file) and is not expandable as above.
>
> When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and printers
> option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
> above.
>
> Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
> paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)

No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program
(like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat folders, or
the C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you are
speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that folder
IE5 even today.

Rick
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:45:25 PM

Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> Anon wrote:
>> See display question at end!!
>>
>> When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
>> folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
>> urls.
>>
>> When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
>> ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
>> MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending dates
>> for the file) and is not expandable as above.
>>
>> When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and printers
>> option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
>> above.
>>
>> Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
>> paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
>
> No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
> run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program
> (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
> other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat folders, or
> the C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you are
> speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that folder
> IE5 even today.
>
> Rick

April 27, 2005 9:46:14 PM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> See display question at end!!
>
> When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
> folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the urls.
>
> When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
> ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
> MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending dates
> for the file) and is not expandable as above.
>
> When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and printers
> option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
> above.
>
> Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
> paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)

April 28, 2005 12:17:08 AM

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

***
Yes and the 'home' computer opened the folder as today, etc.

The shared computer opened the folder as
History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat not as above.
*****

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> > Anon wrote:
> >> See display question at end!!
> >>
> >> When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered
as
> >> folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
> >> urls.
> >>
> >> When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
> >> ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
> >> MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
dates
> >> for the file) and is not expandable as above.
> >>
> >> When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
printers
> >> option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
> >> above.
> >>
> >> Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the
first
> >> paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
> >
> > No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access
and
> > run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same
program
> > (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run
whatever
> > other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat
folders, or
> > the C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you
are
> > speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
folder
> > IE5 even today.
> >
> > Rick

April 28, 2005 12:25:02 AM

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> Anon wrote:
> > See display question at end!!
> >
> > When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
> > folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
> > urls.
> >
> > When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
> > ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
> > MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
dates
> > for the file) and is not expandable as above.
> >
> > When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
printers
> > option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
> > above.
> >
> > Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
> > paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
>
> No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
> run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program

****
I actually executed a couple of the programs on the shared computer - so
that at least works.
***

> (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
> other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat folders,
or
> the C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you
are
> speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
folder
> IE5 even today.

***
I also thought that the IE5 DID look peculiar.

These ARE the folders I am talking about.

On the 'home' computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as today, etc folders.

On the shared computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as
History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat and each then opens as an ordinary
explorer folder not as today, etc.

Now is there some way (registry???) to force the 'home' computer to render
the shared history the way the home computer displays its own history?

BTW the shared history is in exactly the same folder as the home computer.
***

> Rick

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:00:05 PM

Brian A. wrote:
> Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

Yes but it's further than that, where that particular folder you can find it
a few ways, one manual way is if you navigate to it in dos or from the
windows msdos prompt. ...errr, now that I think of it I have my
autoexec bat always set with:
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET DIRCMD=/A
...in order for me to see results with all hidden/system files being shown if
you do a DIR in dos is what SET DIRCMD=/A does ...and SET PROMPT=$p-$g
will show drive and current dir when in dos.

Anyway, easier for most if they use any one of a number of programs to be
able to see that particular History\History folder index.dat file. Even the
resident winfile.exe in 'search' will show that folder ..but using specific
programs like Spider, or others, is where you will see that and actually
everything of file and url contents all at once.

C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat
C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat
C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat
C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
C:\WINDOWS\UserData\index.dat

Rick

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> Anon wrote:
>>> See display question at end!!
>>>
>>> When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
>>> folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
>>> urls.
>>>
>>> When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
>>> ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
>>> MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
>>> dates for the file) and is not expandable as above.
>>>
>>> When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
>>> printers option) the history looks like those described in the second
>>> paragraph above.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
>>> paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
>>
>> No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
>> run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program
>> (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
>> other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat
>> folders, or the
>> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you are
>> speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
>> folder IE5 even today.
>>
>> Rick
April 28, 2005 2:00:06 PM

> Brian A. wrote:
> > Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?
>
> Yes but it's further than that, where that particular folder you can find
it
> a few ways, one manual way is if you navigate to it in dos or from the
> windows msdos prompt. ...errr, now that I think of it I have my
> autoexec bat always set with:
> SET PROMPT=$p$g
> SET DIRCMD=/A
> ..in order for me to see results with all hidden/system files being shown
if
> you do a DIR in dos is what SET DIRCMD=/A does ...and SET PROMPT=$p-$g
> will show drive and current dir when in dos.
>
> Anyway, easier for most if they use any one of a number of programs to be
> able to see that particular History\History folder index.dat file. Even
the
> resident winfile.exe in 'search' will show that folder ..but using
specific
> programs like Spider, or others, is where you will see that and actually
> everything of file and url contents all at once.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Cookies\index.dat
> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\index.dat
> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat
> C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
> C:\WINDOWS\UserData\index.dat

****
No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.
***
> Rick
>

> > --
> >
> > Brian A. Sesko
> > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

> >> No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access
and
> >> run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same
program
> >> (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run
whatever
> >> other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat
> >> folders, or the
> >> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you are
> >> speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
> >> folder IE5 even today.
> >>
> >> Rick

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:05:13 PM

Anon wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> Anon wrote:

[....]

>> > Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
>> > paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)
>>
>> No, not that I'm aware of anyway, not unless you have rights to access and
>> run programs on that shared computer so that you can run that same program
>
> ****
> I actually executed a couple of the programs on the shared computer - so
> that at least works.
> ***
>
>> (like Spider or whatever) if you have it installed on it, or run whatever
>> other operations in order to access those particular ...index.dat
>> folders, or the
>> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat file you are
>> speaking of. ..heh, tidbit is interesting that IE6 still calls that
>> folder IE5 even today.
>
> ***
> I also thought that the IE5 DID look peculiar.

Well it's only cosmetic really, and no biggy and it all still works the same.
I imagine it's just that the IE6 install routine was never set to rename it
to 6 is all.

> These ARE the folders I am talking about.
>
> On the 'home' computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as today, etc
> folders.

right

> On the shared computer - C:\WINDOWS\History\ displays as
> History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxx\index.dat and each then opens as an ordinary
> explorer folder not as today, etc.

...I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say with the way you have worded
that sentence?
You cannot see or open in a ordinary windows explorer folder, that particular
C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\ folder, unless
you have an extra specific program to do so - what program are you using.

> Now is there some way (registry???) to force the 'home' computer to render
> the shared history the way the home computer displays its own history?

As I said before I don't think so in this case, unless of course you use one
of those programs that lets you have control of their computer from your
computer and in that way you can operate the computer as if you were really
there.

If I knew what you were trying to accomplish by seeing/clicking what url's
are in their history cache then maybe I could give you more advice about it.

> BTW the shared history is in exactly the same folder as the home computer.

Yes it's the same in all 9x's systems with those TWO folders always there:

C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\
C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\

Rick
April 28, 2005 2:05:14 PM

> [...]
> > the shared history the way the home computer displays its own history?
>

> As I said before I don't think so in this case, unless of course you use
one
> of those programs that lets you have control of their computer from your
> computer and in that way you can operate the computer as if you were
really
> there.
>
> If I knew what you were trying to accomplish by seeing/clicking what url's
> are in their history cache then maybe I could give you more advice about
it.

> > BTW the shared history is in exactly the same folder as the home
computer.

> Yes it's the same in all 9x's systems with those TWO folders always there:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\
> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\

In windows explorer - when I open the windows folder, the is a folder
labeled 'history' in the right hand box.

When I open that folder there are several icons - labeled 'today'
'yesterday' [wednesday], 'day before yesterday', etc.

When I open any of those they list the urls I visited (these look the same
as if I had clicked history in internet explorer.)

If I do the same on the shared hard drive - there is a folder called
'history' but when I open it I get another folder named history, when I open
that folder I get the files called IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - not the
clickable urls.

Does that make sense??

Now what I want to do is to open the shared history with clickable urls.

There are no 'programs' involved in the operation, just opening folders in
the explorer.
***

> Rick

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:26:56 PM

Anon wrote:

[....]

> No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.

Anon I know that, but you are replying to the wrong post, and that post was
not for you but it was for Brian who aksed the question how to find it.

I guessed you missed the one I replied to you. That's not my fault ;)

Rick
April 28, 2005 3:26:57 PM

> Anon wrote:
>
> [....]
>
> > No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.
>
> Anon I know that, but you are replying to the wrong post, and that post
was
> not for you but it was for Brian who aksed the question how to find it.
>
> I guessed you missed the one I replied to you. That's not my fault ;)
>
> Rick

***
Sorry about my confusion (I guess that is the problem with a couple of
threads going in one conversation.)

I have been guilty of doing that myself.
***
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:27:53 PM

Anon wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> Anon wrote:
>> > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

[...snips....]

> In windows explorer - when I open the windows folder, the is a folder
> labeled 'history' in the right hand box.
>
> When I open that folder there are several icons - labeled 'today'
> 'yesterday' [wednesday], 'day before yesterday', etc.
>
> When I open any of those they list the urls I visited (these look the same
> as if I had clicked history in internet explorer.)

Yep okay I'm following ya..

> If I do the same on the shared hard drive

Okay previously I've never had a reason to look at the History\History
folders of any computer across a network.

> - there is a folder called
> 'history' but when I open it I get another folder named history, when I
> open that folder I get the files called IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
> not the clickable urls.
>
> Does that make sense??

Again previously I've never had a reason to look at the History folder on any
networked computer, and so to check that then let me set my networks
computer's C:\ drive as shared right now (which I normally never do) and then
open up Network Neighborhood and take a looks across the network at another
computer to see what you're telling me...

....Well I'll be dipped in chocolate I see that now. I've just never ever
needed to look at a History folder on a networked computer to see that it
'uniquely' unveils that folder like that - that's a neat tidbit....
IE6 needs to be installed to see that where otherwise IE5 does not render
that other folder. I think with IE6 that's just an oversight and morelikely
an anomaly that this came about.

I'm not surprised the url's in that History\History.IE5 folder don't show up
because for one thing those 2nd and 3rd History folders are only there for
storing older index.dat files, as compared to the 1st History folder that
url's are first copied to and then picked up by all other index.dat files to
store. In all cases the index.dat files 'data' are read from within the file
itself, and so as mentioned before you will still need to run a program to
see what's inside of that particuar or any index.dat file.

> Now what I want to do is to open the shared history with clickable urls.
>
> There are no 'programs' involved in the operation, just opening folders in
> the explorer.

...as mentioned above it's not that simple as just opening folders in that
case since those 2nd and 3rd index.dat folders which are only there to store
older saved index.dat files in, so again you'll need a program to open those
particular index.dat files and able to read the data.

However, back to your question and desire to want to do:

> Now what I want to do is to open the shared history with clickable urls.

Yes you can do it, you would just 'copy' whichever particular index.dat file
you want from the target shared computer to your current computer, then run a
program like spider or any program that reads index.dat files data and
displays it properly, and then copy the url links from that info and then
create internet shortcuts with them - or just paste the url info one by one
into your current browser address bar ..and go to that site.
I just did it so it's confirmed - yes it can be done what you want although
not as straight forward as your first request of just opening the folder to
see it - you have to work a little (5 seconds) to get the data.....

Rick
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:35:05 AM

| Anon wrote:
| > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
|
| [...snips....]
|
| > In windows explorer - when I open the windows folder, the is a
folder
| > labeled 'history' in the right hand box.
| >
| > When I open that folder there are several icons - labeled 'today'
| > 'yesterday' [wednesday], 'day before yesterday', etc.
| >
| > When I open any of those they list the urls I visited (these look
the same
| > as if I had clicked history in internet explorer.)
|

| Yep okay I'm following ya..
|

| > If I do the same on the shared hard drive
|

| Okay previously I've never had a reason to look at the History\History
| folders of any computer across a network.
|
| > - there is a folder called
| > 'history' but when I open it I get another folder named history,
when I
| > open that folder I get the files called
IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
| > not the clickable urls.
| >
| > Does that make sense??
|

| Again previously I've never had a reason to look at the History folder
on any
| networked computer, and so to check that then let me set my networks
| computer's C:\ drive as shared right now (which I normally never do)
and then
| open up Network Neighborhood and take a looks across the network at
another
| computer to see what you're telling me...

| ...Well I'll be dipped in chocolate I see that now.

Yea, I see it too. It doesn't require a Network connection, either. It
shows up that way in Explorer on my D:p artition, which is a clone of
C:p artition. The MS-DOS name of the 2nd History folder (shown in
Explorer's Properties) is "History.IE5". Each of the MSHIST~ dirs has
only an Index.dat inside.

Here it is in DOS...

D:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir/a /s
Directory of D:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5

INDEX DAT 393,216 02-10-05 12:50a index.dat
DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
MSHIST~1 <DIR> 02-07-05 5:16p MSHist012005020720050208
MSHIST~2 <DIR> 02-08-05 2:57p MSHist012005020820050209
MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
MSHIST~3 <DIR> 02-09-05 12:58a MSHist012005020920050210
MSHIST~7 <DIR> 01-24-05 1:02a MSHist012005011720050124
MSHIST~9 <DIR> 01-31-05 1:42a MSHist012005012420050131
MSHIS~11 <DIR> 02-07-05 5:16p MSHist012005013120050207
MSHIS~12 <DIR> 01-17-05 2:16a MSHist012005011020050117
2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
Total files listed:
2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
10 dir(s) 6,692.77 MB free

And this shows at DOS for C:p artition (but ONLY at DOS)...

C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5

INDEX DAT 393,216 04-28-05 6:45p index.dat
DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
MSHIST~1 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005042620050427
MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
MSHIST~2 <DIR> 04-27-05 10:39p MSHist012005042720050428
MSHIST~3 <DIR> 04-28-05 3:51p MSHist012005042820050429
MSHIS~10 <DIR> 04-11-05 1:33a MSHist012005040420050411
MSHIST~9 <DIR> 04-04-05 5:41p MSHist012005032820050404
MSHIS~11 <DIR> 04-18-05 1:20a MSHist012005041120050418
MSHIST~8 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005041820050425
2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
Total files listed:
2 file(s) 393,329 bytes
10 dir(s) 6,729.91 MB free

| I've just never ever
| needed to look at a History folder on a networked computer to see that
it
| 'uniquely' unveils that folder like that - that's a neat tidbit....
| IE6 needs to be installed to see that where otherwise IE5 does not
render
| that other folder. I think with IE6 that's just an oversight and
morelikely
| an anomaly that this came about.

I'm thinking the extra processing needed to translate the .dat/.ie5
files/folders into URLs is only done to the system History folder,
normally C:\Windows\History. That is the only location Windows knows for
sure holds what it expects to be processed in that way.

| I'm not surprised the url's in that History\History.IE5 folder don't
show up
| because for one thing those 2nd and 3rd History folders are only there
for
| storing older index.dat files, as compared to the 1st History folder
that
| url's are first copied to and then picked up by all other index.dat
files to
| store. In all cases the index.dat files 'data' are read from within
the file
| itself, and so as mentioned before you will still need to run a
program to
| see what's inside of that particuar or any index.dat file.

So, Windows wants to be sure these files are what it expects them to be
before it processes them. I guess it's using location to determine it.
RegistryDetective finds nine mentionings of C:\Windows\History...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
ll Folders
History "C:\WINDOWS\History"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Url History
Directory "C:\WINDOWS\History"

....seven look like this...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\Cache\Extensible Cache\MSHist012005032820050404]
"CachePath"=hex(2):43,3a,5c,57,49,4e,44,4f,57,53,5c,48,69,73,74,6f,72,79
,5c,48,\

69,73,74,6f,72,79,2e,49,45,35,5c,4d,53,48,69,73,74,30,31,32,30,30,35,30,
33,\
32,38,32,30,30,35,30,34,30,34,5c,00
"CachePrefix"=":2005032820050404: "
"CacheLimit"=dword:00002000
"CacheOptions"=dword:0000000b
"CacheRepair"=dword:00000000

...."C:\Windows\History" is somewhere in those hex numbers. I was going
to suggest one might write a little .reg to point the Registry to
D:p artition, BUT it may not be so simple. Looks like each MSHIST~ is in
there with descriptive info. OTOH, it could be these 7 might auto-adjust
somehow, just changing the first two Keys (above).

ODD: There are only 7 Registry keys like that, but 8 folders.

....snip...

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

PCR wrote:

Hi PCR,

> Yea, I see it too. It doesn't require a Network connection, either. It
> shows up that way in Explorer on my D:p artition, which is a clone of
> C:p artition. The MS-DOS name of the 2nd History folder (shown in
> Explorer's Properties) is "History.IE5". Each of the MSHIST~ dirs has
> only an Index.dat inside.

Well I'll be, yep it's there too ..I just looked across 'local' partitions
too at my other OS's there and sure enough it shows up that too. I really
never needed had a reason to look across a Network or now as you pointed out
other local HD OS partitions besides C:\ at that particular History folder.

[...]

> And this shows at DOS for C:p artition (but ONLY at DOS)...
>
> C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a
> Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5
>
> INDEX DAT 393,216 04-28-05 6:45p index.dat
> DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
> MSHIST~1 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005042620050427
> MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
> MSHIST~2 <DIR> 04-27-05 10:39p MSHist012005042720050428
> MSHIST~3 <DIR> 04-28-05 3:51p MSHist012005042820050429
> MSHIS~10 <DIR> 04-11-05 1:33a MSHist012005040420050411
> MSHIST~9 <DIR> 04-04-05 5:41p MSHist012005032820050404
> MSHIS~11 <DIR> 04-18-05 1:20a MSHist012005041120050418
> MSHIST~8 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005041820050425

....this shows you don't use any History cleanup and so you accumulate all
these index.dat files and subfolders from months ago, as most unknowingly do.
I have always used in my autoexec a ditty where each 24 hours period runs
(among other things) a deltree /y history\*.* in its directory that
automatically deletes the History folder getting All of it's subfolders &
contents entirely.. and so at any one time I only have 1 index.dat file in
History\History.IE5 with no MSHIST~1 not to mention any older MSHIST~2
through ~xxx either . There is no reason to store those for anything imho;
unless of course you want to leave all the url's of your past where you've
gone, available to whomever has the wits to have a lookie...

[...]

Rick
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 6:52:19 PM

Actually I did not ask where to find it, I was questioning the OP. My bad, I
responded to the wrong person.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> Anon wrote:
>
> [....]
>
>> No problem with FINDING history, just problem with displaying it.
>
> Anon I know that, but you are replying to the wrong post, and that post was
> not for you but it was for Brian who aksed the question how to find it.
>
> I guessed you missed the one I replied to you. That's not my fault ;)
>
> Rick

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 7:23:42 PM

Thanks for the information. Well, let's try... "Internet Options, Clear
History button"...

C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a /s
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5
INDEX DAT 393,216 04-29-05 3:13p index.dat
DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
2 file(s) 393,329 bytes

It took a couple of tries, but that seems to be less. Also, the 7
MSHIST~ items at this Registry key have disappeared (on the first
try)...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\Cache\Extensible Cache

I guess I'm happy enough. I'm thinking MSHIST~5 corresponds to the
single folder that is left in Explorer at C:\WINDOWS\History, which is
"Today".

--
| PCR wrote:
|
| Hi PCR,
|
| > Yea, I see it too. It doesn't require a Network connection, either.
It
| > shows up that way in Explorer on my D:p artition, which is a clone of
| > C:p artition. The MS-DOS name of the 2nd History folder (shown in
| > Explorer's Properties) is "History.IE5". Each of the MSHIST~ dirs
has
| > only an Index.dat inside.
|

| Well I'll be, yep it's there too ..I just looked across 'local'
partitions
| too at my other OS's there and sure enough it shows up that too. I
really
| never needed had a reason to look across a Network or now as you
pointed out
| other local HD OS partitions besides C:\ at that particular History
folder.

| [...]
|
| > And this shows at DOS for C:p artition (but ONLY at DOS)...
| >
| > C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5>dir /a
| > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\History\History.IE5
| >
| > INDEX DAT 393,216 04-28-05 6:45p index.dat
| > DESKTOP INI 113 07-31-03 9:52p desktop.ini
| > MSHIST~1 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005042620050427
| > MSHIST~5 <DIR> 02-27-04 2:53p MSHist012004022720040228
| > MSHIST~2 <DIR> 04-27-05 10:39p MSHist012005042720050428
| > MSHIST~3 <DIR> 04-28-05 3:51p MSHist012005042820050429
| > MSHIS~10 <DIR> 04-11-05 1:33a MSHist012005040420050411
| > MSHIST~9 <DIR> 04-04-05 5:41p MSHist012005032820050404
| > MSHIS~11 <DIR> 04-18-05 1:20a MSHist012005041120050418
| > MSHIST~8 <DIR> 04-26-05 8:29p MSHist012005041820050425
|

| ...this shows you don't use any History cleanup and so you accumulate
all
| these index.dat files and subfolders from months ago, as most
unknowingly do.
| I have always used in my autoexec a ditty where each 24 hours period
runs
| (among other things) a deltree /y history\*.* in its directory that
| automatically deletes the History folder getting All of it's
subfolders &
| contents entirely.. and so at any one time I only have 1 index.dat
file in
| History\History.IE5 with no MSHIST~1 not to mention any older MSHIST~2
| through ~xxx either . There is no reason to store those for anything
imho;
| unless of course you want to leave all the url's of your past where
you've
| gone, available to whomever has the wits to have a lookie...
|
| [...]
|
| Rick

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 7:53:32 PM

Ok, now I understand what you truly want. You want the History folder to show
as you see it on machine A when accessed across the network from machine B. What
I suggest is you stop using Windows sharing of folders/files and get an app that
is used to access/control machines across the network.

I use PCAnywhere, you can try it/others to find one you like. With PCA, F&P is
not needed, all that's needed is to install it on the machines you want to
access and set them up as a Host with pw protection (advised) or not (not
advisable for any sharing whether pca, windows,etc). Next setup the machines you
want to allow the access from as Clients.You can set the Host machine/s to run
at boot to listen for a request from another machine, if you don't wish to do
this then you must manually start the PCA Host before requesting access from
another machine.

When a Host is accessed with PCA, it's as if you are sitting at the machine,
starting with the desktop being seen on the Client machine. Depending on the
rights/permissions you give the Client depends on what you can do from the
Client machine.

Using a network app such as this, everything you see as a user sitting at the
Host machine, is what you see as a user sitting at the Client machine when
connected to the Host.

--

> [...]
>
> ***
> In windows explorer - when I open the windows folder, the is a folder
> labeled 'history' in the right hand box.
>
> When I open that folder there are several icons - labeled 'today'
> 'yesterday' [wednesday], 'day before yesterday', etc.
>
> When I open any of those they list the urls I visited (these look the same
> as if I had clicked history in internet explorer.)
>
> If I do the same on the shared hard drive - there is a folder called
> 'history' but when I open it I get another folder named history, when I open
> that folder I get the files called IE5\MSHistxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - not the
> clickable urls.
>
> Does that make sense??
>
> Now what I want to do is to open the shared history with clickable urls.
>
> There are no 'programs' involved in the operation, just opening folders in

April 29, 2005 8:27:05 PM

> Ok, now I understand what you truly want. You want the History folder to
show
> as you see it on machine A when accessed across the network from machine
B. What
> I suggest is you stop using Windows sharing of folders/files and get an
app that
> is used to access/control machines across the network.
>
> I use PCAnywhere, you can try it/others to find one you like.

**
Yes that is one way of doing it.

I am using share to "share" the files and printer on the other computer and
don't need the 'overriding' control of the other computer that PCAnywhere
provides. (So I probably will not go that route.)

Just wondered whether there was an easy way to view those folders the same
on both computers. (Your description/conclusion of the problem/solution is
correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)

I have, a long time ago (before the www), used PCAnywhere when setting up an
office network and it was very handy for transferring files between
computers.
**

<clipped>
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:12:25 AM

There may be a better way if you dig deeper on the web for some type of history
folder viewer that works over a network. On a quick search I found this little
app named IE History Viewer and tested it for viewing over a network. What I
found in my quick test is it will show all links in the History folder on any
networked machine. What it doesn't show ( didn't test enough to truly see) is
the folder and sub-folders. All links are clickable in the app and I only set
the History folder as shared on the test machine, no other folders/files, which
I now have removed. No sharing on this network.

Download the .zip file from:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

Unzip the files (2) into a folder on your preferred machine. It doesn't have to
be the one with the History you want to access.

Connecting it to your networked History:
Run IEHV.exe
Click File > Select History folder
Type in the Name of the machine you want to access and the name of the folder
and click OK.

ex. \\my98\History

You should now be able to see/access the links in the History folder on the host
machine from the client machine.

Right click a link and click Open Link to connect. Mind you, I tested this on
cable access to the net which is always on so I don't know if you'll be prompted
to connect.

--

> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> Ok, now I understand what you truly want. You want the History folder to
> show
>> as you see it on machine A when accessed across the network from machine
> B. What
>> I suggest is you stop using Windows sharing of folders/files and get an
> app that
>> is used to access/control machines across the network.
>>
>> I use PCAnywhere, you can try it/others to find one you like.
>
> **
> Yes that is one way of doing it.
>
> I am using share to "share" the files and printer on the other computer and
> don't need the 'overriding' control of the other computer that PCAnywhere
> provides. (So I probably will not go that route.)
>
> Just wondered whether there was an easy way to view those folders the same
> on both computers. (Your description/conclusion of the problem/solution is
> correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)
>
> I have, a long time ago (before the www), used PCAnywhere when setting up an
> office network and it was very handy for transferring files between
> computers.
> **
>
> <clipped>

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 2:35:58 PM

Anon wrote:

[..snip..]

> correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)

Actually, you were told a half-dozen times already ;)

Subfolders off of the main History folder only contain index.dat files and
unless you have a separate program to open/view them you will not see
the information (links) within them. Also unless that viewer is capable of
producing/displaying clickable links from that information - otherwise one
would have to manually extract and create them separately.

Rick
April 30, 2005 2:35:59 PM

> Anon wrote:
>
> [..snip..]
>
> > correct - you are the first to realize what I really wanted.)
>
> Actually, you were told a half-dozen times already ;)
>
> Subfolders off of the main History folder only contain index.dat files and
> unless you have a separate program to open/view them you will not see
> the information (links) within them. Also unless that viewer is capable
of
> producing/displaying clickable links from that information - otherwise one
> would have to manually extract and create them separately.

***
To manually extract the information, I would have to write a program to
extract certain fields from the database type file - I have done this and it
is no fun.
****

> Rick

April 30, 2005 5:38:35 PM

> Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?

**
I searched the whole hard drive for 'spider.exe' and did not find it (so it
is not in c:\windows\history either.
***
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > See display question at end!!
> >
> > When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
> > folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
urls.

> > When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
> > ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
> > MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
dates
> > for the file) and is not expandable as above.
> >
> > When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
printers
> > option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
> > above.
> >
> > Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
> > paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 5:47:11 PM

Anon wrote:

> ***
> To manually extract the information, I would have to write a program to
> extract certain fields from the database type file - I have done this and
> it is no fun.

Anon, it's easy, you don't need to code anything,
I've already given you the answer on how to do it !
That process only takes 5 seconds to get the data...
Didn't you read my last post on what you can do?
I even detailed it! I guess you missed that part?
This is the closest you can get to what you wanted.

I said you would just copy that particular index.dat file you want from the
shared computers History\HistoryIE.5\MSHistxxx folder and paste it to your
current computer into any created New Folder on the desktop (..then run a
program like spider (or any program that reads index.dat files data and
displays it 'properly') ..and then copy the url links from that info and
then create internet shortcuts with them, or, easy to also just paste the url
info one by one into your current browser address bar and go to that site.

For instance let me show you in a screenshot, the program I use to view
index.dat files is called Spider, I just followed the instructions I gave you
above, ran spider, it instantly searches every single index.dat file on my
computer, and then list the contents within all of them, including the New
Folder you would just have created on your Desktop with your shared
computers index.dat file in it - and that's the info you said you wanted !
....here's a link below of my screenshot of what the above just did and what
that looked like:

http://img164.echo.cx/img164/7148/spider3xx.gif
(realize this only shows the index.dat file contents in the New Folder with
the info you wanted, but of course if you scroll the app there's a list with
all the other index files folders and its contents listed too)

FWIW, Spider does nOt need installation - it's a self-running application.
The Spider.exe itself I give a link to is a harmless simple viewer.
When you open Spider - the only thing you need to do is click its top tab of
File> Search ............and it will do its thing
Highlight the links you want, press Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to paste
the info where you want to, Or, you can go to File> Save> ScanResults.txt

Download Spider here for W9x
http://tinyurl.com/7tbv2

Rick
April 30, 2005 5:47:12 PM

> Anon wrote:
>
> > ***
> > To manually extract the information, I would have to write a program to
> > extract certain fields from the database type file - I have done this
and
> > it is no fun.
>
> Anon, it's easy, you don't need to code anything,
> I've already given you the answer on how to do it !
> That process only takes 5 seconds to get the data...
> Didn't you read my last post on what you can do?
> I even detailed it! I guess you missed that part?
> This is the closest you can get to what you wanted.
>
> I said you would just copy that particular index.dat file you want from
the
> shared computers History\HistoryIE.5\MSHistxxx folder and paste it to your
> current computer into any created New Folder on the desktop (..then run a
> program like spider (or any program that reads index.dat files data and
> displays it 'properly') ..and then copy the url links from that info and
> then create internet shortcuts with them, or, easy to also just paste the
url
> info one by one into your current browser address bar and go to that site.
>
> For instance let me show you in a screenshot, the program I use to view
> index.dat files is called Spider, I just followed the instructions I gave
you
> above, ran spider, it instantly searches every single index.dat file on my
> computer, and then list the contents within all of them, including the New
> Folder you would just have created on your Desktop with your shared
> computers index.dat file in it - and that's the info you said you wanted !
> ...here's a link below of my screenshot of what the above just did and
what
> that looked like:
>
> http://img164.echo.cx/img164/7148/spider3xx.gif
> (realize this only shows the index.dat file contents in the New Folder
with
> the info you wanted, but of course if you scroll the app there's a list
with
> all the other index files folders and its contents listed too)

***
Yes I read that and the 'spider' lost me - where do I find the spider?

Your description sounds great and (what I call) quick and dirty solution.
***

> FWIW, Spider does nOt need installation - it's a self-running application.
> The Spider.exe itself I give a link to is a harmless simple viewer.
> When you open Spider - the only thing you need to do is click its top tab
of
> File> Search ............and it will do its thing
> Highlight the links you want, press Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to
paste
> the info where you want to, Or, you can go to File> Save> ScanResults.txt
>
> Download Spider here for W9x
> http://tinyurl.com/7tbv2
>
> Rick

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 5:52:22 PM

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
<snipped>

> FWIW, Spider does nOt need installation - it's a self-running application.
> The Spider.exe itself I give a link to is a harmless simple viewer.
> When you open Spider - the only thing you need to do is click its top tab of
> File> Search ............and it will do its thing
> Highlight the links you want, press Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to paste
> the info where you want to, Or, you can go to File> Save> ScanResults.txt

IEHV also does not install but runs from the .exe (35 kb) to view the History
folder.
Help file included. (15 kb)
Views the History folder and sub-folders from local user/profiles and remote
computers.
No copy/paste as the links shown are executable from within the app.
Can delete or save URL's to an HTML or XML file.
Has command line options.

Possible downside, you cannot view the typed URL's list if choose to watch the
history data from another computer or from another operating system. This only
applies to the last 25 typed URL's added/kept in the registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

All other URL's are viewable/executable.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 9:29:02 PM

Anon wrote:
\> ***
> Yes I read that and the 'spider' lost me - where do I find the spider?
>
> Your description sounds great and (what I call) quick and dirty solution.
> ***

You're teasing me right? o:)
It's hard to understand why you are asking me where do you find spider?

Didn't you see the download link for it at the bottom of my last message?

Did the two links I gave you in my last message show up for you?

Were you able to even see the gif screenshot link I gave you?
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 9:45:04 PM

Hi Brian.

I've never seen IEHV before until today.

It looks promising - It has its up sides, and downsides as you pointed
out.

Thanks for mentioning it. I will play with more when I get a chance. I
personally don't ever need to really see what's in my index.dat files though
and so just because I've been speaking about it in this post is just for the
sake of Anon. Any url's I would ever need are in the current day's history
folder easily available, anything beyond that for me gets automatically
deleted once a day. I have no use for them.

I like spider for Anon because how it categorizes and individualizes all the
different index.dat folders, and for Anon taking the index.dat file from a
different computer and be able to read it separately on his is ideal. It
would be nice if spider had exportable html yes (it's not in development
anymore though, also I only included just the viewer portion of the program
in my link on purpose but left out spiderbite.exe and the help file - because
I wanted to keep it very very simple and to suggest its use Only as a
index.dat viewer.

Rick

Brian A. wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> <snipped>
>
>> FWIW, Spider does nOt need installation - it's a self-running application.
>> The Spider.exe itself I give a link to is a harmless simple viewer.
>> When you open Spider - the only thing you need to do is click its top tab
>> of File> Search ............and it will do its thing
>> Highlight the links you want, press Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to
>> paste the info where you want to, Or, you can go to File> Save>
>> ScanResults.txt
>
> IEHV also does not install but runs from the .exe (35 kb) to view the
> History folder.
> Help file included. (15 kb)
> Views the History folder and sub-folders from local user/profiles and
> remote computers.
> No copy/paste as the links shown are executable from within the app.
> Can delete or save URL's to an HTML or XML file.
> Has command line options.
>
> Possible downside, you cannot view the typed URL's list if choose to
> watch the history data from another computer or from another operating
> system. This only applies to the last 25 typed URL's added/kept in the
> registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\TypedURLs
>
> All other URL's are viewable/executable.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:28:51 PM

Actually I didn't know about it either until I ran a little search, yet it will
serve a good purpose for one of my brothers. He has a growing teenage son who as
of lately is checking out xxx site. He has become wise enough to delete all web
activity info after his machine was wiped/reinstalled twice due to infections.
He attempts to leave no trace behind.

I believe spider would be a much safer app for those that are not fully aware
of the consequences to clicking a live visited URL. I realize why you mention it
as my mentioning was because Anon wanted network access to the history folder in
a "simple" fashion.

--

news:o 0YgS3cTFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi Brian.
>
> I've never seen IEHV before until today.
>
> It looks promising - It has its up sides, and downsides as you pointed
> out.
>
> Thanks for mentioning it. I will play with more when I get a chance. I
> personally don't ever need to really see what's in my index.dat files though
> and so just because I've been speaking about it in this post is just for the
> sake of Anon. Any url's I would ever need are in the current day's history
> folder easily available, anything beyond that for me gets automatically
> deleted once a day. I have no use for them.
>
> I like spider for Anon because how it categorizes and individualizes all the
> different index.dat folders, and for Anon taking the index.dat file from a
> different computer and be able to read it separately on his is ideal. It
> would be nice if spider had exportable html yes (it's not in development
> anymore though, also I only included just the viewer portion of the program
> in my link on purpose but left out spiderbite.exe and the help file - because
> I wanted to keep it very very simple and to suggest its use Only as a
> index.dat viewer.
>
> Rick
>

> Brian A. wrote:
>> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> <snipped>
>>
>>> FWIW, Spider does nOt need installation - it's a self-running application.
>>> The Spider.exe itself I give a link to is a harmless simple viewer.
>>> When you open Spider - the only thing you need to do is click its top tab
>>> of File> Search ............and it will do its thing
>>> Highlight the links you want, press Ctrl C to copy, and then Ctrl V to
>>> paste the info where you want to, Or, you can go to File> Save>
>>> ScanResults.txt
>>
>> IEHV also does not install but runs from the .exe (35 kb) to view the
>> History folder.
>> Help file included. (15 kb)
>> Views the History folder and sub-folders from local user/profiles and
>> remote computers.
>> No copy/paste as the links shown are executable from within the app.
>> Can delete or save URL's to an HTML or XML file.
>> Has command line options.
>>
>> Possible downside, you cannot view the typed URL's list if choose to
>> watch the history data from another computer or from another operating
>> system. This only applies to the last 25 typed URL's added/kept in the
>> registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
>> Explorer\TypedURLs
>>
>> All other URL's are viewable/executable.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:41:30 PM

You responded to a question of mine from the beginning of this thread, which had
nothing to do with spider.

Rick provided a download link in at least one of his more recent responses.

Here is the link to the authors page which has info and can be downloaded from.
http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

--

news:o 7suoQcTFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?
>>

> **
> I searched the whole hard drive for 'spider.exe' and did not find it (so it
> is not in c:\windows\history either.
> ***
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > See display question at end!!
>> >
>> > When I look at history with ie5.x the indexed information is rendered as
>> > folders (today, yesterday, etc.) and the folders expand to display the
> urls.
>> >
>> > When I look at history in a program which shows how the information is
>> > ACTUALLY stored on the hard disk, the information is in files called
>> > MSHist0120011030xxxxx (the numbers look like the beginning and ending
> dates
>> > for the file) and is not expandable as above.
>> >
>> > When I look at history on a shared computer (using share files and
> printers
>> > option) the history looks like those described in the second paragraph
>> > above.
>> >
>> > Is there any way to display the shared history as described in the first
>> > paragraph (with dates and klickabel urls?)

May 1, 2005 12:19:08 AM

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o JRRtZeTFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You responded to a question of mine from the beginning of this thread,
which had
> nothing to do with spider.
>
> Rick provided a download link in at least one of his more recent
>
> Here is the link to the authors page which has info and can be downloaded
from.
> http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

**
Thanks for the link (I had missed the spider link in his earlier post - I
had not quite gotten cued in on using a 'spider' to read the history files.
***
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 7suoQcTFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> >> Is c:\windows\history a place you looked?
> >>

> > **
> > I searched the whole hard drive for 'spider.exe' and did not find it (so
it
> > is not in c:\windows\history either.
> > ***
> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian A. Sesko
> >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
> >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >>

> >> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > urls.

> > dates

> > printers

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 8:58:04 AM

Brian A. wrote:
> You responded to a question of mine from the beginning of this thread,
> which had nothing to do with spider.
>
> Rick provided a download link in at least one of his more recent responses.
>
> Here is the link to the authors page which has info and can be downloaded
> from. http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

I could have and wanted to but the Only reason Brian why I did not give him
Ward's websites link like you just did, and chose to upload just the
spider.exe to him on my website and link it, was just because I did not want
to confuse him with the other intention for using spider with the
spiderbite.exe - which speaking of that different spiderbite.exe and knowing
that it doesn't completely work for IE6 anyway (since it's out of development
as mentioned)

The original website which just offers too much information about deleting
the url links and such (within IE5x) ...so since he has IE6x, I didn't want
to confuse the issue with that and so only wanted to point out just to use
the Spider.exe for him which is just a simpleViewer - but it views All
index.dat files and not just certain ones in certain places like iehv.exe

I did have a reason and purpose for why I did it the way I did and was trying
to be helpful.

Rick

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 9:06:34 AM

Brian A. wrote:
> Actually I didn't know about it either until I ran a little search, yet it
> will serve a good purpose for one of my brothers. He has a growing teenage
> son who as of lately is checking out xxx site. He has become wise enough
> to delete all web activity info after his machine was wiped/reinstalled
> twice due to infections. He attempts to leave no trace behind.

hehe, lol to read about his son and his attempts.
understood.
certainly my reasoning for using bootday.com in conjunction with autoexec to
refresh/rebuild all my index.dat files each day is not because I'm hiding
url's I've been to, especially prono sites (happily married for 25 years now
so no need for that stuff :)  ...I just do it as a matter of principle.
Anyway, I understand what you mean.
It's easy to eliminate every mi-nute last spec of any traces though these
days, if one knows what to do ..we won't tell his son though <g>.

> I believe spider would be a much safer app for those that are not fully
> aware of the consequences to clicking a live visited URL.

Well I mentioned it not just because spider doesn't show it all in live
clickable links - actually I wish it did.

> I realize why you mention it

Well I wasn't sure you did actually, and although I well realize you're very
knowledgeable and have been around a long time, I also realize in the process
of skimming so many posts everyday and typing replies, and the limited way we
have of typing words to cover all meanings at once is not infallible
everytime, while trying to pickup on the OP's real meaning completely.

I took what Anon asked in his OP literally and when he asked
about the index.dat file within the History\HistoryIE.5\MSHistxxx folders I
took that literally and saw you mention and speak about just the first
History folder, but if he wants access to those older subfolders of
history\historyIE.5\mshistxxx then that requires something like spider which
goes deeper and aamof it actually searches the complete partition you point
it to for All index.dat files irregardless of their location at any one given
moment, and so in Anon's situation and taking an index.dat file from one
machine and putting it on another in any new folder he chose, still, spider
will find it, and so in that regard I found it ideal to mention to use
spider... iehv.exe is not able to do that and limitedly searches specific
front index.dat files, although yes its html export is excellent for sure
without a doubt.

> as my mentioning was because Anon wanted network access to
> the history folder in a "simple" fashion.

Yes agreed he wanted to do it in a simple fashion, but again taking literally
what he said, he said he wanted to access a 'shared computers'
History\HistoryIE.5\MSHistxxx folders index.dat files contents, and afaik
there is no program that will do it that way yet, and so if he wants to read
the data inside an old index.dat from on a different shared computer without
having to install a separate program like pcanywhere or such, he will have to
copy that particular index.dat file to his computer, and so it is that unique
request of what he wanted to do, is why I answered him with the outline of
what to do the way I did.

Rick

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> news:o 0YgS3cTFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Brian.
>>
>> I've never seen IEHV before until today.
>>
>> It looks promising - It has its up sides, and downsides as you pointed
>> out.
>>
>> Thanks for mentioning it. I will play with more when I get a chance. I
>> personally don't ever need to really see what's in my index.dat files
>> though and so just because I've been speaking about it in this post is
>> just for the sake of Anon. Any url's I would ever need are in the
>> current day's history folder easily available, anything beyond that for
>> me gets automatically deleted once a day. I have no use for them.
>>
>> I like spider for Anon because how it categorizes and individualizes all
>> the different index.dat folders, and for Anon taking the index.dat file
>> from a different computer and be able to read it separately on his is
>> ideal. It would be nice if spider had exportable html yes (it's not in
>> development anymore though, also I only included just the viewer portion
>> of the program in my link on purpose but left out spiderbite.exe and the
>> help file - because I wanted to keep it very very simple and to suggest
>> its use Only as a index.dat viewer.
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> Brian A. wrote:
>>> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>>> <snipped>

>>> IEHV also does not install but runs from the .exe (35 kb) to view the
>>> History folder.
>>> Help file included. (15 kb)
>>> Views the History folder and sub-folders from local user/profiles and
>>> remote computers.
>>> No copy/paste as the links shown are executable from within the app.
>>> Can delete or save URL's to an HTML or XML file.
>>> Has command line options.
>>>
>>> Possible downside, you cannot view the typed URL's list if choose to
>>> watch the history data from another computer or from another operating
>>> system. This only applies to the last 25 typed URL's added/kept in the
>>> registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
>>> Explorer\TypedURLs
>>>
>>> All other URL's are viewable/executable.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian A. Sesko
>>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 9:10:45 AM

Anon, did you get the links I gave you?

You only need to use just the 'spider.exe' irregardless of where you want to
download it from. The link I gave you just has the spider.exe and that's all
you need or should use, that's why I gave you the link I did.

> I had not quite gotten cued in on using a 'spider' to read the history
> files.

Spider really is just a name the person who made gave it, actually it's just
a simple index.dat file viewer. I guess he named it spider since it in some
ways crawls into every nook and cranny of a hard drives partition to look
for and find index.dat files.

Rick
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:06:40 PM

If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested. Once it shows
the URL's you can:
Double click any one to go to the site
Select one or more and save as a text, XML or HTML file.

It will even run from a floppy that you can put in the other machine and save
the URL's to file.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:37:50 PM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:28:51 -0500, "Brian A."

> Actually I didn't know about it either until I ran a little search, yet it will
>serve a good purpose for one of my brothers. He has a growing teenage son who as
>of lately is checking out xxx site. He has become wise enough to delete all web
>activity info after his machine was wiped/reinstalled twice due to infections.
>He attempts to leave no trace behind.

Fair enough. What he needs to learn is how to do what he wants to do
without putting the PC (especially a shared PC) at risk. I'd suggest
staying off web sites and using an attachment-safe - show extensions
(file name extensions, I mean), don't autorun attachments - news
reader to peruse the recreational graphics newsgroups.

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:37:51 PM

I wish it were that simple, 5 brothers + 4 sisters and lets not forget Mom &
Pop. I can't count how many times I stress the need for tighter security on
their machines. The toughest one I have is with their email. After setting not
to use Preview Pane, not to open attachments and read all in plain text, once
I'm gone they change it back. It's hard to back out on family, yet there are a
few I've warned that if they insist on their preferred ways then they're on
their own.

--

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:giec71t4p9rjbf6cli2hort6lfcu69u8tj@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:28:51 -0500, "Brian A."
>
>> Actually I didn't know about it either until I ran a little search, yet it
>> will
>>serve a good purpose for one of my brothers. He has a growing teenage son who
>>as
>>of lately is checking out xxx site. He has become wise enough to delete all
>>web
>>activity info after his machine was wiped/reinstalled twice due to infections.
>>He attempts to leave no trace behind.
>
> Fair enough. What he needs to learn is how to do what he wants to do
> without putting the PC (especially a shared PC) at risk. I'd suggest
> staying off web sites and using an attachment-safe - show extensions
> (file name extensions, I mean), don't autorun attachments - news
> reader to peruse the recreational graphics newsgroups.
>

>>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
>>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:29:53 PM

Brian A. wrote:
> If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested.

Again, that app does not show index.dat files in History\History subfolders,
it only shows them in History\ ..which is not what he asked for, besides it
can do anything over a Network, and even if he copied the index.dat file back
to his current HD your app will not see it.
I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?

However his best bet is to use that second app I just newly suggested to him
in the 'bottom' PS ..of my last post. It actually can Browse across to
Shared Computers on the Network, and it does see his History\History
index.dat folder there, and it also has Live Clickalbe links available right
on the spot - it's the best of all worlds. I tested it, confirmed.

Rick

> shows the URL's you can:
> Double click any one to go to the site
> Select one or more and save as a text, XML or HTML file.
>
> It will even run from a floppy that you can put in the other machine and
> save the URL's to file.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
May 2, 2005 10:29:54 PM

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
news:o QSa%23a2TFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Brian A. wrote:
> > If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested.
>
> Again, that app does not show index.dat files in History\History
subfolders,
> it only shows them in History\ ..which is not what he asked for, besides
it
> can do anything over a Network, and even if he copied the index.dat file
back
> to his current HD your app will not see it.
> I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?
>
> However his best bet is to use that second app I just newly suggested to
him
> in the 'bottom' PS ..of my last post. It actually can Browse across to
> Shared Computers on the Network, and it does see his History\History
> index.dat folder there, and it also has Live Clickalbe links available
right
> on the spot - it's the best of all worlds. I tested it, confirmed.

**
I downloaded the file from http://www.fsm.nl/ward/ and tested it.

It did not find the files I had copied from the shared computer and placed
on my desktop. It found only the native history files.
***

> Rick
>

> > shows the URL's you can:
> > Double click any one to go to the site
> > Select one or more and save as a text, XML or HTML file.
> >
> > It will even run from a floppy that you can put in the other machine and
> > save the URL's to file.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Brian A. Sesko
> > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:23:52 AM

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
news:o QSa%23a2TFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Brian A. wrote:
>> If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested.
>
> Again, that app does not show index.dat files in History\History subfolders,
> it only shows them in History\ ..which is not what he asked for, besides it
> can do anything over a Network, and even if he copied the index.dat file back
> to his current HD your app will not see it.
> I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?

I sure did and it showed me all the URLs ( which are clickable ) in every
remote machines history folder including XP on my network, without the app I
wasn't able to see them. It's as simple as sharing the history folder, running
the app which defaults to the local history file upon execution, click File >
Select History Folder, type in the LAN path or browse to the shared history,
select it and click OK. All of the remote machines URLs appear on the screen in
the windows app of the local machine. If you can't see them then it would appear
you're not sharing the folder properly or not using the proper path to the
remote machines history folder.

I even ran it from a floppy to access the remote machines folders without a
problem.

> However his best bet is to use that second app I just newly suggested to him
> in the 'bottom' PS ..of my last post. It actually can Browse across to
> Shared Computers on the Network, and it does see his History\History
> index.dat folder there, and it also has Live Clickalbe links available right
> on the spot - it's the best of all worlds. I tested it, confirmed.

The app I suggested does the same and can also save them as a text, XML or HTML
file.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
May 3, 2005 12:23:53 AM

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> news:o QSa%23a2TFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Brian A. wrote:
> >> If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested.
> >
> > Again, that app does not show index.dat files in History\History
subfolders,
> > it only shows them in History\ ..which is not what he asked for, besides
it
> > can do anything over a Network, and even if he copied the index.dat file
back
> > to his current HD your app will not see it.
> > I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?
>
> I sure did and it showed me all the URLs ( which are clickable ) in every
> remote machines history folder including XP on my network, without the app
> wasn't able to see them. It's as simple as sharing the history folder,
running
> the app which defaults to the local history file upon execution, click
File >
> Select History Folder, type in the LAN path or browse to the shared
history,
> select it and click OK. All of the remote machines URLs appear on the
screen in
> the windows app of the local machine. If you can't see them then it would
appear
> you're not sharing the folder properly or not using the proper path to the
> remote machines history folder.
>
> I even ran it from a floppy to access the remote machines folders without
> problem.
>

> > However his best bet is to use that second app I just newly suggested to
him
> > in the 'bottom' PS ..of my last post. It actually can Browse across to
> > Shared Computers on the Network, and it does see his History\History
> > index.dat folder there, and it also has Live Clickalbe links available
right
> > on the spot - it's the best of all worlds. I tested it, confirmed.
>
> The app I suggested does the same and can also save them as a text, XML
or HTML
> file.

**
The various programs (spiders) DO extract the URLs from HISTORY on the
native computer - they do not extract the URLs from the history folder
copied from the shared computer.

THOSE are the URLs I want. (I can read the URLs on my computer in the normal
method (click on history in ie.)
***
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:31:28 AM

I have checked your second app and it's quite nice not to mention more user
friendly.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
news:o QSa%23a2TFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Brian A. wrote:
>> If you want the URL's and only the URL's, try the app I suggested.
>
> Again, that app does not show index.dat files in History\History subfolders,
> it only shows them in History\ ..which is not what he asked for, besides it
> can do anything over a Network, and even if he copied the index.dat file back
> to his current HD your app will not see it.
> I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?
>
> However his best bet is to use that second app I just newly suggested to him
> in the 'bottom' PS ..of my last post. It actually can Browse across to
> Shared Computers on the Network, and it does see his History\History
> index.dat folder there, and it also has Live Clickalbe links available right
> on the spot - it's the best of all worlds. I tested it, confirmed.
>
> Rick
>

>> shows the URL's you can:
>> Double click any one to go to the site
>> Select one or more and save as a text, XML or HTML file.
>>
>> It will even run from a floppy that you can put in the other machine and
>> save the URL's to file.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:49:44 AM

> The various programs (spiders) DO extract the URLs from HISTORY on the
> native computer - they do not extract the URLs from the history folder
> copied from the shared computer.
>
> THOSE are the URLs I want. (I can read the URLs on my computer in the normal
> method (click on history in ie.)
> ***

What I typed in my repeated response below will get you what you are asking
with the app I suggested and the second app Rick suggested. I have tested both
and have had no problem seeing the URL's on my Local machine from any of my
Remote machines, XP included. I tried Spider but unfortunately only on XP where
it didn't find anything.

I would like to suggest that you download/use the second app Rick suggested as
it is more user friendly.

You can try either or both the one I suggested and/or Ricks.

Ricks suggested link:
http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.dat...

Mine:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

>> > Brian A. wrote:

>> It's as simple as sharing the history folder,
> running
>> the app which defaults to the local history file upon execution, click
> File >
>> Select History Folder, type in the LAN path or browse to the shared
> history,
>> select it and click OK. All of the remote machines URLs appear on the
> screen in
>> the windows app of the local machine. If you can't see them then it would
> appear
>> you're not sharing the folder properly or not using the proper path to the
>> remote machines history folder.
>>
>> I even ran it from a floppy to access the remote machines folders without
>> problem.
May 3, 2005 12:19:59 PM

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o %231TnM5TFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The various programs (spiders) DO extract the URLs from HISTORY on the
> > native computer - they do not extract the URLs from the history folder
> > copied from the shared computer.
> >
> > THOSE are the URLs I want. (I can read the URLs on my computer in the
normal
> > method (click on history in ie.)
> > ***
>
> What I typed in my repeated response below will get you what you are
asking
> with the app I suggested and the second app Rick suggested. I have tested
both
> and have had no problem seeing the URL's on my Local machine from any of
my
> Remote machines, XP included. I tried Spider but unfortunately only on XP
where
> it didn't find anything.
>
> I would like to suggest that you download/use the second app Rick
suggested as
> it is more user friendly.
>
> You can try either or both the one I suggested and/or Ricks.
>
> Ricks suggested link:
> http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.dat...
>
> Mine:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

**
I tried both of these -
it-mate page - when I clicked download the page I clicked on just refreshed
(checked URL of link and it was the same page)
iehv - long list of URLs but no indication any were from the folder copied
from shared computer.

The other links (from other posts) did not 'see' shared computer folder.
***

> >> It's as simple as sharing the history folder,
> > running
> >> the app which defaults to the local history file upon execution, click
> > File >
> >> Select History Folder, type in the LAN path or browse to the shared
> > history,
> >> select it and click OK. All of the remote machines URLs appear on the
> > screen in
> >> the windows app of the local machine. If you can't see them then it
would
> > appear
> >> you're not sharing the folder properly or not using the proper path to
the
> >> remote machines history folder.
> >>
> >> I even ran it from a floppy to access the remote machines folders
without
> >> problem.

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:57:02 PM

Brian A. wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> news:o QSa%23a2TFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

[...]

>> I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?

> I sure did and it showed me all the URLs ( which are clickable ) in every

I just ran that app again to check, errr, you're right ...apologies
I just did not see the Browse button there the first time and so never used
it to be able to search the Network, which I see now yes it does do what you
said ...again, apologies, I just didn't see it and was working on too many
things at once that day to give it the full attention it needed.

Thanks Brian,

Rick

[...]

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 6:39:41 PM

No apologies needed, you're not alone on those type of days.

--

news:o 6M0Om$TFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Brian A. wrote:
>> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> news:o QSa%23a2TFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
> [...]
>
>>> I tested it to know - politely I ask, did you?
>
>> I sure did and it showed me all the URLs ( which are clickable ) in every
>
> I just ran that app again to check, errr, you're right ...apologies
> I just did not see the Browse button there the first time and so never used
> it to be able to search the Network, which I see now yes it does do what you
> said ...again, apologies, I just didn't see it and was working on too many
> things at once that day to give it the full attention it needed.
>
> Thanks Brian,
>
> Rick
>
> [...]
>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 6:44:46 PM

> ...just as well because I can see it will be much much better for you to use
> the other program below anyway, by far.
>
> http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&act=DL&p=in...

I agree with Rick, and it is as close as you'll (Anon) get to what is wanted.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 3:54:48 PM

On Mon, 2 May 2005 10:20:39 -0700, "Anon"
>"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:28:51 -0500, "Brian A."

>> > it will serve a good purpose for one of my brothers. He has a growing
>> > teenage son who as of lately is checking out xxx site. He has become
>> > wise enough to delete all web activity info after his machine was
>> > wiped/reinstalled twice due to infections. He attempts to leave no
>> > trace behind.

>> Fair enough. What he needs to learn is how to do what he wants to do
>> without putting the PC (especially a shared PC) at risk. I'd suggest
>> staying off web sites and using an attachment-safe - show extensions
>> (file name extensions, I mean), don't autorun attachments - news
>> reader to peruse the recreational graphics newsgroups.

>Actually, when I access the shared computer, all I want to do is copy files
>therefrom (not change anything on that hard drive.
>Therefore, I am leaving no trace of my access to it.

I wasn't thinking of whoever is strying to snoop on the teenager's
activities, but what the teenager himself needs to know to protect his
privacy, while not giving grounds to others to breach that privacy.

"Now that my activities no longer disrupt your use of the computer or
put it risk, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep your nose out of my
business, thanks. If you want to get your rocks off as a voyuer, I
can recommend some binary newsgroups; read 'em yourself <g> "

>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
May 4, 2005 5:33:40 PM

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

***
Do I really NEED VB!! And why?? Is there a good reason??? Or is this just
another app to fill up the hard drive and memory??
***
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest