Large Hard Drive

What I have is an 80 gig hard drive that I need to defrag. Is there software
that I can use to do this process. I understand that the regular defrag will
only do 8 gig.

You heard wrong, it will work on your 80GB drive. To alleviate any restarting
during defragmentation run it in Safe Mode
or
Shutdown any running apps
Disable any power saving such as the screensaver, standby, turn off ??? after.
Physically remove your internet modem/NIC cable
Disable antivirus
Run Scandisk first, then defrag

*Note: It could take anywhere from minutes to hours to complete depending on
your processor/memory and/or if you have not run it in quite some time.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Daniell" <Daniell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What I have is an 80 gig hard drive that I need to defrag. Is there software
> that I can use to do this process. I understand that the regular defrag will
> only do 8 gig.

"Daniell" <Daniell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>What I have is an 80 gig hard drive that I need to defrag. Is there software
>that I can use to do this process. I understand that the regular defrag will
>only do 8 gig.

Windows 98 defrag (also Windows Me defrag) cannot operate on drives
that have more than 4.1 million total clusters (2 ^ 22). As the
default cluster size for FAT32 is 4K this problem cannot arise on
drives smaller than 17 gb.

What happens when you try to use Defrag on the drive? As Brian A.
said it may take a long time to work on a drive that size but if it
starts up without error then it should work okay.

If your drive has the cluster issue that I mentioned above then you
will get an immediate error message when you try to run Defrag. This
error message will be about "...not enough *free* memory....". So if
you do not get an error message then just wait, maybe even leave the
computer running overnight, and see what happens.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

You may be having trouble due to defrag's problems with running programs
during the defragmentation process. There is nothing unusual about this.

For 9X/ME, I recommend Diskeeper.
For XP/2000, I recommend PerfectDisk.
Google will take you right to either.

Daniell wrote:
> What I have is an 80 gig hard drive that I need to defrag. Is there software
> that I can use to do this process. I understand that the regular defrag will
> only do 8 gig.

A great alternative to Win Defrag is Diskeeper

http://consumer.execsoft.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp

Copies of Diskeeper Lite can be found for download ... try Google.

--
Daniel Hicks
danjr@voyager.net

> What I have is an 80 gig hard drive that I need to defrag. Is there
software
> that I can use to do this process. I understand that the regular defrag
will
> only do 8 gig.

no matter what you use, do NOT use win98 defrag.
WinME defrag works great, get a copy of it and replace it in
the folder that has the 98 version......... you can rename
the old version to something like "defragold" if you want to keep it.

jane

Do defrag at nite just before you go to bed that way it wont stop you using
your computer adn will hopefully be all done in the mornin p.s. dont foget to
turn your screen off when you disable the screensaver ect to avoid burning
your screen you can do this on the useally big button on your moniter

hope this helps
xxxxxx