Windows 98

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I would like to know,how to be really sure which version of Windows 98 I
have.
If I have Standard,how to upgrade to Second Edition?
Thank you

"john" <john_w@libero.it> wrote:

>I would like to know,how to be really sure which version of Windows 98 I
>have.
>If I have Standard,how to upgrade to Second Edition?
>Thank you

Right-click on My Computer and select properties.

The Windows 98 version information will be at the top of the Window.

If it says "Windows 98 Second Edition" and if the version number ends
in .2222A then you have the second edition.

If it says Windows 98 and the version number ends in 1998 then you
have the original release Windows 98.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

john wrote:
> I would like to know,how to be really sure which version of Windows 98 I
> have.
> If I have Standard,how to upgrade to Second Edition?
> Thank you

You can find SE on eBay. Make sure you get an original and not a copy,
and not an OEM. If you are looking to upgrade, obviously buy the
Upgrade edition and not the full version. (However, I'd personally
recommend a good clean installation of SE full version on a formatted
hard drive - upgrades are nasty business).

You can still find it from some online dealers for around $75.00.

Just a few examples:

Upgrade from Amazon - as low as $50
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00002JV50/104-9324769-9193530

http://www.tekdeal.com/s.nl/sc.2/it.A/id.203/category.11/partner.win98/.f/

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>Explorer & IE are basically one & the same. Therefore, may as well try
>this write-up, originally from a Gateway WEB site, which is a temporary
>reversion to an earlier version of IE...
>
>ONE THING: Do nothing more than stated here using Winfile, because, if
>you move a file with it, you will lose that file's LFN (Long File Name)
>in the destination.

The error message reported and the circumstances match with KB article
293174 so why post so much extraneous drivel?

| "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
|
| >Explorer & IE are basically one & the same. Therefore, may as well
try
| >this write-up, originally from a Gateway WEB site, which is a
temporary
| >reversion to an earlier version of IE...
| >
| >ONE THING: Do nothing more than stated here using Winfile, because,
if
| >you move a file with it, you will lose that file's LFN (Long File
Name)
| >in the destination.
| >

| The error message reported and the circumstances match with KB article
| 293174 so why post so much extraneous drivel?

KB293174 was part & parcel of my extraneous drivel! Also, some have said
a reversion to the prior IE should be done first if possible.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

"PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>KB293174 was part & parcel of my extraneous drivel! Also, some have said
>a reversion to the prior IE should be done first if possible.

Yes it was. But it was buried so far down into it that most people
would have given up due to severe eyestrain before they got that far.

Short posts that answer the specific question are vastly superior to
long winded generalities that contain some relevant content amidst a
morass of irrelevant babble.

| "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
|

| >KB293174 was part & parcel of my extraneous drivel! Also, some have
said
| >a reversion to the prior IE should be done first if possible.
| >

| Yes it was. But it was buried so far down into it that most people
| would have given up due to severe eyestrain before they got that far.
|
| Short posts that answer the specific question are vastly superior to
| long winded generalities that contain some relevant content amidst a
| morass of irrelevant babble.

I agree totally, uh, uh-- present company excepted, though!

| Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
| --
| Microsoft MVP
| On-Line Help Computer Service
| http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
|
| In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
| http://aumha.org/alex.htm

TRENDING THREADS