scandisk question

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 28, 2005 1:23:17 AM

On bad shutdown, my computer starts up with Microsoft Scandisk not
scandisk.alt - how do I change back.

I took my computer in for repair and the tech changed the startup hard disk
checking routine from using scandisk.alt to 'something' using MS scandisk.

I asked him to put it back and he did not know what he did to change it and
could/would not comply.

The ms scandisk screen looks like a DOS dark blue screen with light blue and
light gray letters - there is an "EXIT" button and a yellow 'progress bar'
at the bottom.

I cannot find anything in the autoexec.bat that uses either of these
programs - where IS the command that executes the disk checking program
after a bad shutdown?

In addition I have another w98se computer that always did use the ms
scandisk program - how do I change this one to use scandisk.alt (I have
Norton Utilities on this computer.)

More about : scandisk question

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:39:56 PM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On bad shutdown, my computer starts up with Microsoft Scandisk not
> scandisk.alt - how do I change back.
>
> In addition I have another w98se computer that always did use the ms
> scandisk program - how do I change this one to use scandisk.alt (I have
> Norton Utilities on this computer.)

Find and copy NDD.EXE as
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANDISK.ALT.

Windows will treat SCANDISK.ALT
as an executable and will run it.

If SCANDISK.ALT does not exist,
then SCANDISK.EXE is run.
April 28, 2005 1:27:20 PM

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On bad shutdown, my computer starts up with Microsoft Scandisk not
> > scandisk.alt - how do I change back.
> >
> > In addition I have another w98se computer that always did use the ms
> > scandisk program - how do I change this one to use scandisk.alt (I have
> > Norton Utilities on this computer.)
>
> Find and copy NDD.EXE as
> C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SCANDISK.ALT.
>
> Windows will treat SCANDISK.ALT
> as an executable and will run it.
>
> If SCANDISK.ALT does not exist,
> then SCANDISK.EXE is run.

***
That was it, I had not realized that the tech had removed the .alt file.

Second question re scandisk.alt - why do I get a gpf error while running
it - it aborts in the middle of checking the hard drive?

(I have removed and recopied ndd.exe/renamed it to scandisk.alt several
times with no change in the gpf error.)

BTW the gpf only aborts scandisk.alt and does not otherwise affect the
computer as it continues to load windows without any further problems.

Thanks for the help.
**
April 28, 2005 7:17:31 PM

Re-install whatever application changed your system from the default to
scandisk.alt. I believe it will be something from Symantec.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On bad shutdown, my computer starts up with Microsoft Scandisk not
> scandisk.alt - how do I change back.
>
> I took my computer in for repair and the tech changed the startup hard
> disk
> checking routine from using scandisk.alt to 'something' using MS scandisk.
>
> I asked him to put it back and he did not know what he did to change it
> and
> could/would not comply.
>
> The ms scandisk screen looks like a DOS dark blue screen with light blue
> and
> light gray letters - there is an "EXIT" button and a yellow 'progress bar'
> at the bottom.
>
> I cannot find anything in the autoexec.bat that uses either of these
> programs - where IS the command that executes the disk checking program
> after a bad shutdown?
>
> In addition I have another w98se computer that always did use the ms
> scandisk program - how do I change this one to use scandisk.alt (I have
> Norton Utilities on this computer.)

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 10:56:05 AM

Hail Blue Screen Of death MWHAHAHAHA
April 29, 2005 12:32:27 PM

"edamlowe" <edamlowe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hail Blue Screen Of death MWHAHAHAHA

***
Yes BUT this gpf does NOT produce the BSD, it just displays the error
message at the bottom of the normal DOS black screen (I have the DOS screens
displayed during the normal windows startup sequence) and continues with the
***
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:35:12 PM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o PjZB%23MTFHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> news:o 1wLcUETFHA.3980@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > The original cause isn't really relevant to your problem. As indicated,
> the
> > solution is to re-install the application that originally altered you
> system
>
> **
> You are correct that the original cause is irreverent.
>
> But since I do not know what the tech uninstalled/installed - it IS
> reverent - tech does not know what he did to cause the problem, so I do
not
> know what to do to reverse the problem.

Re-install your Symantec / Norton applications.
April 29, 2005 8:18:25 PM

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
use

> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> _
> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o PjZB%23MTFHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> > news:o 1wLcUETFHA.3980@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > The original cause isn't really relevant to your problem. As
indicated,
> > the
> > > solution is to re-install the application that originally altered you
> > system
> >
> > **
> > You are correct that the original cause is irreverent.
> >
> > But since I do not know what the tech uninstalled/installed - it IS
> > reverent - tech does not know what he did to cause the problem, so I do
> not
> > know what to do to reverse the problem.
> > ****
>
> the tech re-installed default windows settings

**
The default setting WAS scandisk.alt NOT MS Scandisk.

If your statement is true, then I would not have had to post my original
question as the computer would have been using scandisk.alt.
**

<clipped>
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 11:55:23 PM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eBGRUFRTFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o PjZB%23MTFHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> >
>> > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
>> > news:o 1wLcUETFHA.3980@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> indicated,
>> > the
>> > system
>> >
>> > **
>> > You are correct that the original cause is irreverent.
>> >
>> > But since I do not know what the tech uninstalled/installed - it IS
>> > reverent - tech does not know what he did to cause the problem, so I do
>> not
>> > know what to do to reverse the problem.
>> > ****
>>
>> the tech re-installed default windows settings
>>

> **
> The default setting WAS scandisk.alt NOT MS Scandisk.
>
> If your statement is true, then I would not have had to post my original
> question as the computer would have been using scandisk.alt.

There is no setting. If scandisk.alt exists it is run. If not, then scandisk.exe
is run (if exists). If you're getting an error from NDD, it may be that it's
missing some needed library. I don't know much about Norton, but I do know
that NDD.EXE will not run by itself (renamed or not) without its neccessary
library files. I've tried it. :)  You may have to reinstall Norton, as has been
suggested.
April 29, 2005 11:55:24 PM

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:o PjZB%23MTFHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> > indicated,

> >> not
> >>
> >> the tech re-installed default windows settings
> >>

> > **
> > The default setting WAS scandisk.alt NOT MS Scandisk.
> >
> > If your statement is true, then I would not have had to post my original
> > question as the computer would have been using scandisk.alt.
>
> There is no setting. If scandisk.alt exists it is run. If not, then
scandisk.exe
> is run (if exists). If you're getting an error from NDD, it may be that
it's
> missing some needed library. I don't know much about Norton, but I do know
> that NDD.EXE will not run by itself (renamed or not) without its
neccessary
> library files. I've tried it. :)  You may have to reinstall Norton, as has
been
> suggested.

***
Apparently the tech HAD removed scandisk.alt without telling me.

I replaced it with renamed NDD and scandisk.alt now functions instead of MS
Scandisk.

OK so far - but now I need some information about the gpf error (see my
other post re this.)
***

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:57:04 AM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23%23rUpkRTFHA.1896@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > indicated,
> you

> do

>> > **
>> > The default setting WAS scandisk.alt NOT MS Scandisk.
>> >
>> > If your statement is true, then I would not have had to post my original
>> > question as the computer would have been using scandisk.alt.
>>
>> There is no setting. If scandisk.alt exists it is run. If not, then
> scandisk.exe
>> is run (if exists). If you're getting an error from NDD, it may be that
> it's
>> missing some needed library. I don't know much about Norton, but I do know
>> that NDD.EXE will not run by itself (renamed or not) without its
> neccessary
>> library files. I've tried it. :)  You may have to reinstall Norton, as has
> been
>> suggested.
>>

> ***
> Apparently the tech HAD removed scandisk.alt without telling me.
>
> I replaced it with renamed NDD and scandisk.alt now functions instead of MS
> Scandisk.
>
> OK so far - but now I need some information about the gpf error (see my
> other post re this.)
> ***

I did see your other post. Did you read mine? Yes the executable NDD may
load but it requires other code contained in other dll (library) files.
Which ones? I don't know, but I know it is not a "standalone" executable.
Not later versions anyway.
April 30, 2005 11:56:55 AM

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > you

IS
> > do

> >> There is no setting. If scandisk.alt exists it is run. If not, then
> > scandisk.exe
> >> is run (if exists). If you're getting an error from NDD, it may be that
> > it's
> >> missing some needed library. I don't know much about Norton, but I do
know
> >> that NDD.EXE will not run by itself (renamed or not) without its
> > neccessary
> >> library files. I've tried it. :)  You may have to reinstall Norton, as
has
> > been
> >> suggested.
> >>

> > ***
> > Apparently the tech HAD removed scandisk.alt without telling me.
> >
> > I replaced it with renamed NDD and scandisk.alt now functions instead of
MS
> > Scandisk.
> >
> > OK so far - but now I need some information about the gpf error (see my
> > other post re this.)
> > ***
>
> I did see your other post. Did you read mine? Yes the executable NDD may
> load but it requires other code contained in other dll (library) files.
> Which ones? I don't know, but I know it is not a "standalone" executable.
> Not later versions anyway.

***
I guess that is why the replace/rename worked on this computer (did work
when I purchased the computer.)

The (probably missing) dll's would probably prevent replace/rename from
working on the computer that never had scandisk.alt on it originally.
**
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 5:29:35 PM

You can't just replace one missing file and expect the application to come
back to life properly. The file you replaced depends on many other parts of
the application. Reinstall it properly from the beginning.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> ***
> Apparently the tech HAD removed scandisk.alt without telling me.
>
> I replaced it with renamed NDD and scandisk.alt now functions instead of
> MS
> Scandisk.
>
> OK so far - but now I need some information about the gpf error (see my
> other post re this.)
April 30, 2005 5:29:36 PM

> You can't just replace one missing file and expect the application to come
> back to life properly. The file you replaced depends on many other parts
of
> the application. Reinstall it properly from the beginning.

***
How would I (reinstall from the beginning) scandisk.alt?

No one has explained how the computer "chooses" scandisk.alt instead of some
other (MS Scandisk) application. Only one post said that if .alt is present,
IT is run - nothing about "installing" anything.
***

> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > ***
> > Apparently the tech HAD removed scandisk.alt without telling me.
> >
> > I replaced it with renamed NDD and scandisk.alt now functions instead of
> > MS
> > Scandisk.
> >
> > OK so far - but now I need some information about the gpf error (see my
> > other post re this.)

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 5:29:37 PM

> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> > You can't just replace one missing file and expect the application to
come
> > back to life properly. The file you replaced depends on many other
parts
> of
> > the application. Reinstall it properly from the beginning.
>
> ***
> How would I (reinstall from the beginning) scandisk.alt?
>
> No one has explained how the computer "chooses" scandisk.alt instead of
some
> other (MS Scandisk) application. Only one post said that if .alt is
present,
> IT is run - nothing about "installing" anything.

That is simply NOT true.

You have been told more than once to reinstall
your Norton / Symantec application(s).

It was your installation of the Norton Utilities application
(or something similar) which made the change to your system
which created SCANDISK.ALT.

It is as simple as that, and the solution is just as simple.

Reinstall any and all of the Norton / Symatec applications
which you own.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 5:29:37 PM

See if this is helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q186885

Ben

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e7hbvTZTFHA.2828@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> > You can't just replace one missing file and expect the application to come
> > back to life properly. The file you replaced depends on many other parts
> of
> > the application. Reinstall it properly from the beginning.
>
> ***
> How would I (reinstall from the beginning) scandisk.alt?
>
> No one has explained how the computer "chooses" scandisk.alt instead of some
> other (MS Scandisk) application. Only one post said that if .alt is present,
> IT is run - nothing about "installing" anything.
> ***
>
> > --
> > Jeff Richards
> > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> > "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > ***
> > > Apparently the tech HAD removed scandisk.alt without telling me.
> > >
> > > I replaced it with renamed NDD and scandisk.alt now functions instead of
> > > MS
> > > Scandisk.
> > >
> > > OK so far - but now I need some information about the gpf error (see my
> > > other post re this.)

April 30, 2005 5:29:38 PM

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
news:o ipoPfZTFHA.2556@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> > > You can't just replace one missing file and expect the application to
> come
> > > back to life properly. The file you replaced depends on many other
> parts
> > of
> > > the application. Reinstall it properly from the beginning.
> >
> > ***
> > How would I (reinstall from the beginning) scandisk.alt?
> >
> > No one has explained how the computer "chooses" scandisk.alt instead of
> some
> > other (MS Scandisk) application. Only one post said that if .alt is
> present,
> > IT is run - nothing about "installing" anything.
>
> That is simply NOT true.
>
> You have been told more than once to reinstall
> your Norton / Symantec application(s).
>
> It was your installation of the Norton Utilities application
> (or something similar) which made the change to your system
> which created SCANDISK.ALT.

**
OK - you finally explained that NU 'installs' scandisk.alt (and what ever
other operating link that is necessary.)

Why then on the other computer, I HAVE installed NU and the computer STILL
uses MSScandisk, NOT scandisk.alt. This seems to disagree with what you just
said.
***

> It is as simple as that, and the solution is just as simple.
>
> Reinstall any and all of the Norton / Symatec applications
> which you own.

April 30, 2005 5:29:38 PM

"Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
news:o mjviiaTFHA.2336@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
See if this is helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q186885

Ben

****
Only partly useful.

I did not get the (Error 35 Unexpected Interupt 0008 in
C:\windows\command\scandisk.alt ) error just the gpf message (no BSD.)

Have already reinstalled nu several times on both computers without success.

BTW the tech installed norton system works (includes nu) and scandisk.alt
quit working after that.
***

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> > You can't just replace one missing file and expect the application to
come
> > back to life properly. The file you replaced depends on many other
parts
> of
> > the application. Reinstall it properly from the beginning.
>
> ***
> How would I (reinstall from the beginning) scandisk.alt?
>
> No one has explained how the computer "chooses" scandisk.alt instead of
some
> other (MS Scandisk) application. Only one post said that if .alt is
present,
> IT is run - nothing about "installing" anything.
> ***
>
> > --
> > Jeff Richards
> > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> > "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > ***
> > > Apparently the tech HAD removed scandisk.alt without telling me.
> > >
> > > I replaced it with renamed NDD and scandisk.alt now functions instead
of
> > > MS
> > > Scandisk.
> > >
> > > OK so far - but now I need some information about the gpf error (see
my
> > > other post re this.)

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 7:06:46 PM

Uninstall Norton, then extract "win.cnf" from your Windows 98
CD. Rename the file to "c:\windows\win.com", then reinstall
Norton.

Ben

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eH9mjSbTFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
> news:o mjviiaTFHA.2336@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> See if this is helpful.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q186885
>
> Ben
>
> ****
> Only partly useful.
>
> I did not get the (Error 35 Unexpected Interupt 0008 in
> C:\windows\command\scandisk.alt ) error just the gpf message (no BSD.)
>
> Have already reinstalled nu several times on both computers without success.
>
> BTW the tech installed norton system works (includes nu) and scandisk.alt
> quit working after that.
> ***
>
> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> > > You can't just replace one missing file and expect the application to
> come
> > > back to life properly. The file you replaced depends on many other
> parts
> > of
> > > the application. Reinstall it properly from the beginning.
> >
> > ***
> > How would I (reinstall from the beginning) scandisk.alt?
> >
> > No one has explained how the computer "chooses" scandisk.alt instead of
> some
> > other (MS Scandisk) application. Only one post said that if .alt is
> present,
> > IT is run - nothing about "installing" anything.
> > ***
> >
> > > --
> > > Jeff Richards
> > > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> > > "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> of

> my

May 2, 2005 6:38:41 PM

I had posted this question at the bottom my previous post.

I do need an answer to this ongoing problem!!!

Second question re scandisk.alt - why do I get a gpf error while running it
(automatic run after a bad shutdown) - it aborts in the middle of checking
the hard drive (usually while checking either the directory structure or
file integrality)?

news:o BBI9ANTFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "edamlowe" <edamlowe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hail Blue Screen Of death MWHAHAHAHA
> >

> ***
> Yes BUT this gpf does NOT produce the BSD, it just displays the error
> message at the bottom of the normal DOS black screen (I have the DOS
screens
> displayed during the normal windows startup sequence) and continues with
the
> ***

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 3:48:59 PM

On Mon, 2 May 2005 14:38:41 -0700, "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com>

>I had posted this question at the bottom my previous post.
>I do need an answer to this ongoing problem!!!

OK

>Second question re scandisk.alt - why do I get a gpf error while running it
>(automatic run after a bad shutdown) - it aborts in the middle of checking
>the hard drive (usually while checking either the directory structure or
>file integrality)?

That may be something beyond the original problem scope, so I'd back
out and do "the prelim" a la...

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm

....and then proceed to the usual startup debugging approach, i.e.
comparing Safe Mode vs. MSConfig startup suppression, etc.

>(I have removed and recopied ndd.exe/renamed it to scandisk.alt several
>times with no change in the gpf error.)

I'd also FC all the code files that comprise the Scandisk subsystem.
Maybe one oif these is corrupted?

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
June 2, 2005 1:49:52 AM

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:qe6h71lf1m1v19l4er93tfu5qu6c3robec@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 2 May 2005 14:38:41 -0700, "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com>
>
> >I had posted this question at the bottom my previous post.
> >I do need an answer to this ongoing problem!!!
>
> OK
>
> >Second question re scandisk.alt - why do I get a gpf error while running
it
> >(automatic run after a bad shutdown) - it aborts in the middle of
checking
> >the hard drive (usually while checking either the directory structure or
> >file integrality)?
>
> That may be something beyond the original problem scope, so I'd back
> out and do "the prelim" a la...
>
> http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm
>
> ...and then proceed to the usual startup debugging approach, i.e.
> comparing Safe Mode vs. MSConfig startup suppression, etc.
>
> >(I have removed and recopied ndd.exe/renamed it to scandisk.alt several
> >times with no change in the gpf error.)
>
> I'd also FC all the code files that comprise the Scandisk subsystem.
> Maybe one oif these is corrupted?
>
> >BTW the gpf only aborts scandisk.alt and does not otherwise affect the
> >computer as it continues to load windows without any further problems.

**
1) error occurs on restart with bad shutdown. Only because scandisk.alt is
executed only with that condition [bad shutdown.]
2) restarting in safe mode launches a different set of programs than restart
in normal mode (usually no tsrs and minimal others) - therefore the
'environment' is different and not comparable.
2a) let us assume that restarting in safe mode a) works - what have we
learned?, b) fails - what have we learned?? [Why would a tsrs affect
scandisk.alt - the failure occurs prior to launching anything but windows -
it occurs as the very start of launching the OS and launching nothing else.]
2aa) is there any way to 'freeze' the operation at the failed condition and
examine [who knows what] to see what exactly caused the failure???
3) my assumption is (big blank) as I have no idea why this computer fails to
complete execution of scandisk.alt and another computer processes it
successfully (both computers are Gateway machines manufactured within 6
months of each other and using the same OS.)
***

> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:30:25 PM

Try starting the computer in DOS and running Norton Disk doctor
from the command line to see if you get the same message. Also,
please confirm that you have uninstalled and reinstalled Norton Disk
doctor.

Ben

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:o HFPZ4yZFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:qe6h71lf1m1v19l4er93tfu5qu6c3robec@4ax.com...
> > On Mon, 2 May 2005 14:38:41 -0700, "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com>
> >
> > >I had posted this question at the bottom my previous post.
> > >I do need an answer to this ongoing problem!!!
> >
> > OK
> >
> > >Second question re scandisk.alt - why do I get a gpf error while running
> it
> > >(automatic run after a bad shutdown) - it aborts in the middle of
> checking
> > >the hard drive (usually while checking either the directory structure or
> > >file integrality)?
> >
> > That may be something beyond the original problem scope, so I'd back
> > out and do "the prelim" a la...
> >
> > http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm
> >
> > ...and then proceed to the usual startup debugging approach, i.e.
> > comparing Safe Mode vs. MSConfig startup suppression, etc.
> >
> > >(I have removed and recopied ndd.exe/renamed it to scandisk.alt several
> > >times with no change in the gpf error.)
> >
> > I'd also FC all the code files that comprise the Scandisk subsystem.
> > Maybe one oif these is corrupted?
> >
> > >BTW the gpf only aborts scandisk.alt and does not otherwise affect the
> > >computer as it continues to load windows without any further problems.
> >

> **
> 1) error occurs on restart with bad shutdown. Only because scandisk.alt is
> executed only with that condition [bad shutdown.]
> 2) restarting in safe mode launches a different set of programs than restart
> in normal mode (usually no tsrs and minimal others) - therefore the
> 'environment' is different and not comparable.
> 2a) let us assume that restarting in safe mode a) works - what have we
> learned?, b) fails - what have we learned?? [Why would a tsrs affect
> scandisk.alt - the failure occurs prior to launching anything but windows -
> it occurs as the very start of launching the OS and launching nothing else.]
> 2aa) is there any way to 'freeze' the operation at the failed condition and
> examine [who knows what] to see what exactly caused the failure???
> 3) my assumption is (big blank) as I have no idea why this computer fails to
> complete execution of scandisk.alt and another computer processes it
> successfully (both computers are Gateway machines manufactured within 6
> months of each other and using the same OS.)
> ***
>

> > >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> > Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
> > >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

June 4, 2005 1:49:13 AM

Try starting the computer in DOS and running Norton Disk doctor
from the command line to see if you get the same message. Also,
please confirm that you have uninstalled and reinstalled Norton Disk
doctor.

**
I do not need to restart in DOS to run ndd to completion, in windows, I can
click on the NDD icon and it runs to completion. I have done this many times
after the startup failure.

What does that prove?

Further note - when it fails, apparently the os has executed autoexec.bat
(and maybe config sys) and fails during the directory structure check
(failing after some 7000+ directories) leaving the error message on the
screen then the os continues to load to completion.
***

Ben

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o HFPZ4yZFHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:qe6h71lf1m1v19l4er93tfu5qu6c3robec@4ax.com...
> > On Mon, 2 May 2005 14:38:41 -0700, "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com>
> >
> > >I had posted this question at the bottom my previous post.
> > >I do need an answer to this ongoing problem!!!
> >
> > OK
> >
> > >Second question re scandisk.alt - why do I get a gpf error while
running
> it
> > >(automatic run after a bad shutdown) - it aborts in the middle of
> checking
> > >the hard drive (usually while checking either the directory structure
or
> > >file integrality)?
> >
> > That may be something beyond the original problem scope, so I'd back
> > out and do "the prelim" a la...
> >
> > http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm
> >
> > ...and then proceed to the usual startup debugging approach, i.e.
> > comparing Safe Mode vs. MSConfig startup suppression, etc.
> >
> > >(I have removed and recopied ndd.exe/renamed it to scandisk.alt several
> > >times with no change in the gpf error.)
> >
> > I'd also FC all the code files that comprise the Scandisk subsystem.
> > Maybe one oif these is corrupted?
> >
> > >BTW the gpf only aborts scandisk.alt and does not otherwise affect the
> > >computer as it continues to load windows without any further problems.
> >

> **
> 1) error occurs on restart with bad shutdown. Only because scandisk.alt is
> executed only with that condition [bad shutdown.]
> 2) restarting in safe mode launches a different set of programs than
restart
> in normal mode (usually no tsrs and minimal others) - therefore the
> 'environment' is different and not comparable.
> 2a) let us assume that restarting in safe mode a) works - what have we
> learned?, b) fails - what have we learned?? [Why would a tsrs affect
> scandisk.alt - the failure occurs prior to launching anything but
windows -
> it occurs as the very start of launching the OS and launching nothing
else.]
> 2aa) is there any way to 'freeze' the operation at the failed condition
and
> examine [who knows what] to see what exactly caused the failure???
> 3) my assumption is (big blank) as I have no idea why this computer fails
> complete execution of scandisk.alt and another computer processes it
> successfully (both computers are Gateway machines manufactured within 6
> months of each other and using the same OS.)
> ***
>

> > >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> > Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
> > >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:49:15 PM

>> "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
>> Try starting the computer in DOS and running Norton Disk doctor
>> from the command line to see if you get the same message. Also,
>> please confirm that you have uninstalled and reinstalled Norton Disk
>> doctor.
>
>"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message >news:#1cguBMaFHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> **
> I do not need to restart in DOS to run ndd to completion, in windows, I can
> click on the NDD icon and it runs to completion. I have done this many times
> after the startup failure.
>
> What does that prove?
>
> Further note - when it fails, apparently the os has executed autoexec.bat
> (and maybe config sys) and fails during the directory structure check
> (failing after some 7000+ directories) leaving the error message on the
> screen then the os continues to load to completion.
> ***
<snip>

See if this is helpful.

http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/windowsNotes.html#nddVerySl...

Ben
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:06:32 PM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%231cguBMaFHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
>> Try starting the computer in DOS and running Norton Disk doctor
>> from the command line to see if you get the same message. Also,
>> please confirm that you have uninstalled and reinstalled Norton Disk
>> doctor.

> I do not need to restart in DOS to run ndd to completion, in windows, I can
> click on the NDD icon and it runs to completion. I have done this many times
> after the startup failure.
>
> What does that prove?

Running NDD in Windows and running it in DOS are two completely
diffrent things.

> Further note - when it fails, apparently the os has executed autoexec.bat
> (and maybe config sys) and fails during the directory structure check
> (failing after some 7000+ directories) leaving the error message on the
> screen then the os continues to load to completion.

This doesn't mention a gpf explicitly, but it does say that older versions
of NDD have a problem with too many files/directorys.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/ba62122e5d...

<quote>
These error messages sometimes occur when using an older version of NDD,
or when running NDD on a large drive with an unusually large number of
files and/or folders.
</quote>

It fails after 7000+? How many directories do you have total? Do a
DIR /A:D  /S
June 5, 2005 10:58:20 PM

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
> >> Try starting the computer in DOS and running Norton Disk doctor
> >> from the command line to see if you get the same message. Also,
> >> please confirm that you have uninstalled and reinstalled Norton Disk
> >> doctor.
>
> > I do not need to restart in DOS to run ndd to completion, in windows, I
can
> > click on the NDD icon and it runs to completion. I have done this many
times
> > after the startup failure.
> >
> > What does that prove?
>
> Running NDD in Windows and running it in DOS are two completely
> diffrent things.

**
NDD is a windows progam and won't run in DOS
**

> > Further note - when it fails, apparently the os has executed
autoexec.bat
> > (and maybe config sys) and fails during the directory structure check
> > (failing after some 7000+ directories) leaving the error message on the
> > screen then the os continues to load to completion.
>
> This doesn't mention a gpf explicitly, but it does say that older versions
> of NDD have a problem with too many files/directorys.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/ba62122e5d...

> <quote>
> These error messages sometimes occur when using an older version of NDD,

***
I am running a version dated 8/14/2002 (Norton system works.).
***

> or when running NDD on a large drive with an unusually large number of
> files and/or folders.

**
My 40gb drive is about 1/2 full.
**

> </quote>
>

> It fails after 7000+? How many directories do you have total? Do a
> DIR /A:D  /S

**
Ran this in DOS mode and after many, many, many screens the last lines
displayed where Total files listed 0 files, 0 bytes, 2935 dirs 17+ gb free.

Since I know there are at least 8000 and maybe more than 9000 dirs - what
does the 2935 mean.

I ran this twice and that same answer was displayed both times.
****

June 5, 2005 11:01:36 PM

>> "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
>> Try starting the computer in DOS and running Norton Disk doctor
>> from the command line to see if you get the same message. Also,
>> please confirm that you have uninstalled and reinstalled Norton Disk
>> doctor.
>
>"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> **
> I do not need to restart in DOS to run ndd to completion, in windows, I
can
> click on the NDD icon and it runs to completion. I have done this many
times
> after the startup failure.
>
> What does that prove?
>
> Further note - when it fails, apparently the os has executed autoexec.bat
> (and maybe config sys) and fails during the directory structure check
> (failing after some 7000+ directories) leaving the error message on the
> screen then the os continues to load to completion.
> ***
<snip>

See if this is helpful.

http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/windowsNotes.html#nddVerySl...

**
Not really - speed is not the problem scandisk seems to progress at a fast
clip - the failure is the problem.

The post by Bill Blanton seemed more on target.
**

Ben
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:03:06 AM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eUJTPrjaFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
>> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > I do not need to restart in DOS to run ndd to completion, in windows, I can
>> > click on the NDD icon and it runs to completion.

>> Running NDD in Windows and running it in DOS are two completely
>> diffrent things.
>>

> **
> NDD is a windows progam and won't run in DOS
> **

There is a real mode (DOS) executable named NDD.EXE, and that's the file
named to scandisk.alt. Don't know what the Windows executable is named,
but the "generic" name is "Norton Disk Doctor"(NDD).. like "Scandisk" is
a generic term.. one is SCANDISK.EXE(DOS), one is Scandskw.exe(Windows)
...but both known as "Scandisk"

Here's what I get running NDD.EXE /? from DOS

NDD, Norton Utilities 2001 , Copyright 1991-2000 by Symantec Corp.

Automatically diagnose and repair damaged disks.

NDD [d:][d:]... [/C|/Q|/DT] [/R[A]:p athname] [/X:D rives] [/FIXSPACES]
[/NOCOMP] [/NOHOST] [/G0] [/BW|/LCD]
NDD [d:][d:]... /REBUILD [/G0] [/BW|/LCD]
NDD [d:][d:]... /UNDELETE [/G0] [/BW|/LCD]
NDD /UNDO [/G0] [/BW|/LCD]

/C Complete test, including surface test.
/Q All tests except surface test.
/DT Only perform the surface test.
/R[A]:p athname Write (or Append) report to pathname.
/X:D rives Exclude drives from testing.
/FIXSPACES Repair filenames with embedded spaces.
/NOCOMP Do not test compression structures.
/NOHOST Do not test host drive of compressed volumes.
/REBUILD Rebuild an entire disk that has been destroyed.
/UNDELETE Undelete a partition that was previously skipped.
/UNDO Undo repairs made in a prior session.
/G0 Disable graphical mouse and all graphical characters.
/BW, /LCD Improve display on monochrome or LCD monitors.

BTW.. for those who suggested reinstalling Norton was necessary,
(myself included), that doesn't appear to be necessary. I extracted
NDD.EXE from a "Systems Works" CD to \windows\command, renamed it
scandisk.alt, set one of the "disk dirty flags" on a volume, and NDD
ran on reboot. (SW 2001).

>> > Further note - when it fails, apparently the os has executed autoexec.bat
>> > (and maybe config sys) and fails during the directory structure check
>> > (failing after some 7000+ directories) leaving the error message on the
>> > screen then the os continues to load to completion.
>>
>> This doesn't mention a gpf explicitly, but it does say that older versions
>> of NDD have a problem with too many files/directorys.
>>

> http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/ba62122e5d...
>>

>> These error messages sometimes occur when using an older version of NDD,

> I am running a version dated 8/14/2002 (Norton system works.).

>> or when running NDD on a large drive with an unusually large number of
>> files and/or folders.

> My 40gb drive is about 1/2 full.

>> It fails after 7000+? How many directories do you have total? Do a
>> DIR /A:D  /S

> Ran this in DOS mode and after many, many, many screens the last lines
> displayed where Total files listed 0 files, 0 bytes, 2935 dirs 17+ gb free.
>
> Since I know there are at least 8000 and maybe more than 9000 dirs - what
> does the 2935 mean.
>
> I ran this twice and that same answer was displayed both times.

That may be my fault. I should have made sure you were in the root first.
Also, load smartdrv first to make it a little faster. So

SMARTDRV
DIR C:\ /A:D  /S

How many now?
June 6, 2005 9:02:16 PM

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> >> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I can

> >> Running NDD in Windows and running it in DOS are two completely
> >> diffrent things.
> >>

> > **
> > NDD is a windows progam and won't run in DOS
> > **
>
> There is a real mode (DOS) executable named NDD.EXE, and that's the file
> named to scandisk.alt. Don't know what the Windows executable is named,
> but the "generic" name is "Norton Disk Doctor"(NDD).. like "Scandisk" is
> a generic term.. one is SCANDISK.EXE(DOS), one is Scandskw.exe(Windows)
> ..but both known as "Scandisk"
>

> Here's what I get running NDD.EXE /? from DOS

**
Yes that is the DOS version - the one that fails is the windows version.
***

> NDD, Norton Utilities 2001 , Copyright 1991-2000 by Symantec Corp.
>
> Automatically diagnose and repair damaged disks.
>
> NDD [d:][d:]... [/C|/Q|/DT] [/R[A]:p athname] [/X:D rives] [/FIXSPACES]
> [/NOCOMP] [/NOHOST] [/G0] [/BW|/LCD]
> NDD [d:][d:]... /REBUILD [/G0] [/BW|/LCD]
> NDD [d:][d:]... /UNDELETE [/G0] [/BW|/LCD]
> NDD /UNDO [/G0] [/BW|/LCD]
>
> /C Complete test, including surface test.
> /Q All tests except surface test.
> /DT Only perform the surface test.
> /R[A]:p athname Write (or Append) report to pathname.
> /X:D rives Exclude drives from testing.
> /FIXSPACES Repair filenames with embedded spaces.
> /NOCOMP Do not test compression structures.
> /NOHOST Do not test host drive of compressed volumes.
> /REBUILD Rebuild an entire disk that has been destroyed.
> /UNDELETE Undelete a partition that was previously skipped.
> /UNDO Undo repairs made in a prior session.
> /G0 Disable graphical mouse and all graphical characters.
> /BW, /LCD Improve display on monochrome or LCD monitors.
>

> BTW.. for those who suggested reinstalling Norton was necessary,
> (myself included), that doesn't appear to be necessary. I extracted
> NDD.EXE from a "Systems Works" CD to \windows\command, renamed it
> scandisk.alt, set one of the "disk dirty flags" on a volume, and NDD
> ran on reboot. (SW 2001).

> >> This doesn't mention a gpf explicitly, but it does say that older
versions
> >> of NDD have a problem with too many files/directorys.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/ba62122e5d...

> >> These error messages sometimes occur when using an older version of
NDD,

> > I am running a version dated 8/14/2002 (Norton system works.).
>
> >> or when running NDD on a large drive with an unusually large number of
> >> files and/or folders.
>
> > My 40gb drive is about 1/2 full.
>

> >> It fails after 7000+? How many directories do you have total? Do a
> >> DIR /A:D  /S
>

> > Ran this in DOS mode and after many, many, many screens the last lines
> > displayed where Total files listed 0 files, 0 bytes, 2935 dirs 17+ gb
free.

> > Since I know there are at least 8000 and maybe more than 9000 dirs -
what
> > does the 2935 mean.
> >
> > I ran this twice and that same answer was displayed both times.
>

> That may be my fault. I should have made sure you were in the root first.
> Also, load smartdrv first to make it a little faster. So
>

> SMARTDRV
> DIR C:\ /A:D  /S
,>
> How many now?

***
Even without smartdrv it ran very fast - too fast to read most of the time.

I don't know what happened on prior tests - the DOS prompt 'looked' like the
root directory (but it must have been the windows directory.)

Rerunning as above I got 29,383 dirs!!!!!

Boy was my guess low (I had looked at the numbers when scandisk ran to
completion and never got anything over 10,000.)

Now - when someone has a multi 100gb drive with obviously 50,000 - 100,000 -
200,000 or more dirs - is scandisk going to fail for them???

Or is something else going on here?
***

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:42:52 PM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eMOf$OvaFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> There is a real mode (DOS) executable named NDD.EXE, and that's the file
>> named to scandisk.alt. Don't know what the Windows executable is named,
>> but the "generic" name is "Norton Disk Doctor"(NDD).. like "Scandisk" is
>> a generic term.. one is SCANDISK.EXE(DOS), one is Scandskw.exe(Windows)
>> ..but both known as "Scandisk"
>>

> Yes that is the DOS version - the one that fails is the windows version.

Now I'm confused. You were working on getting ndd.exe copied over to
scandisk.alt, so that ndd would run on a bad shutdown. Scandisk.alt
runs from real-mode DOS before Windows loads.

The above statement suggests the real mode DOS version. What's the screen
look like? Two small blue "blocky windows"? If so, what's in the top window?

"Diagnosing drive C:"
"Analyzing Partition Table"
"Analyzing Boot Record"
"Analyzing etc...."
"Analyzing etc...."
(?)

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/ba62122e5d...

>> > I am running a version dated 8/14/2002 (Norton system works.).

>> > My 40gb drive is about 1/2 full.

>> > Ran this in DOS mode and after many, many, many screens the last lines
>> > displayed where Total files listed 0 files, 0 bytes, 2935 dirs 17+ gb free.
>> >

>> That may be my fault. I should have made sure you were in the root first.

>> SMARTDRV
>> DIR C:\ /A:D  /S
> ,>
>> How many now?
>>

> ***
> Even without smartdrv it ran very fast - too fast to read most of the time.
>
> I don't know what happened on prior tests - the DOS prompt 'looked' like the
> root directory (but it must have been the windows directory.)
>
> Rerunning as above I got 29,383 dirs!!!!!

You can run
DIR C:\ /A:D  /S > C:\DIRLIST.TXT
to create a text file of the output. You won't see any output to the screen,
so just wait until it's finished. Open c:\dirlist.txt in notepad to
investigate.

Hm. A good amount of that number is going to be the <dot> (. current dir)
and <dot><dot> (.. parent dir). An empty dir will show 2 dirs, and a dir
with 1 subdir will show as 3, so maybe your ~9000+ estimate isn't too
far off. Still, it seems a little high. Enh..let's scrap the dir exercise..
It'd be more exact to count them in explorer doing a properties on each
folder in the root, and then add them up.

> Boy was my guess low (I had looked at the numbers when scandisk ran to
> completion and never got anything over 10,000.)
>
> Now - when someone has a multi 100gb drive with obviously 50,000 - 100,000 -
> 200,000 or more dirs - is scandisk going to fail for them???

How big are these drives exactly?

> Or is something else going on here?

I suspect that NDD can't cope with the 9000+ dirs, but that's just a guess.
I may be able to test this on my 2001 version. I have to write a program
or script to create dirs first though. There's no way I'm going to do it
manually! :)  Maybe tonight or tommorrow when I have more time.
June 7, 2005 6:21:28 PM

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> >

> >> There is a real mode (DOS) executable named NDD.EXE, and that's the
file
> >> named to scandisk.alt. Don't know what the Windows executable is named,
> >> but the "generic" name is "Norton Disk Doctor"(NDD).. like "Scandisk"
is
> >> a generic term.. one is SCANDISK.EXE(DOS), one is Scandskw.exe(Windows)
> >> ..but both known as "Scandisk"
> >>

> > Yes that is the DOS version - the one that fails is the windows version.
>
> Now I'm confused. You were working on getting ndd.exe copied over to
> scandisk.alt, so that ndd would run on a bad shutdown. Scandisk.alt
> runs from real-mode DOS before Windows loads.

> The above statement suggests the real mode DOS version. What's the screen
> look like? Two small blue "blocky windows"? If so, what's in the top
window?

**
Yes, two blocky windows - the top one listing directories, files, etc. with
a check mark showing progress, and the bottom one counting how many with a
progress bar.

These look like the same type of windows that scandskw exhibits (windows
type dialog boxes - not DOS type boxes.)

The DOS version is the one I complained about that said MS Scandisk - I
don't want that version..
**

> "Diagnosing drive C:"
> "Analyzing Partition Table"
> "Analyzing Boot Record"
> "Analyzing etc...."
> "Analyzing etc...."
> (?)

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/ba62122e5d...

NDD,

> >> That may be my fault. I should have made sure you were in the root
first.

> >> SMARTDRV
> >> DIR C:\ /A:D  /S
> > ,>
> >> How many now?
> >>

> > ***
> > Even without smartdrv it ran very fast - too fast to read most of the
time.

> > I don't know what happened on prior tests - the DOS prompt 'looked' like
the
> > root directory (but it must have been the windows directory.)
> >
> > Rerunning as above I got 29,383 dirs!!!!!
>

> You can run
> DIR C:\ /A:D  /S > C:\DIRLIST.TXT
> to create a text file of the output. You won't see any output to the
screen,
> so just wait until it's finished. Open c:\dirlist.txt in notepad to
> investigate.
>
> Hm. A good amount of that number is going to be the <dot> (. current dir)
> and <dot><dot> (.. parent dir). An empty dir will show 2 dirs, and a dir
> with 1 subdir will show as 3, so maybe your ~9000+ estimate isn't too
> far off. Still, it seems a little high. Enh..let's scrap the dir
exercise..
> It'd be more exact to count them in explorer doing a properties on each
> folder in the root, and then add them up.

**
You must be kidding - count and add for 9000 directories.

But your comment about the /three for one/ ratio of parent/child directories
sounds about right and would get me back to the 9000+/- original guess.
***

> > Boy was my guess low (I had looked at the numbers when scandisk ran to
> > completion and never got anything over 10,000.)
> >
> > Now - when someone has a multi 100gb drive with obviously 50,000 -
100,000 -
> > 200,000 or more dirs - is scandisk going to fail for them???
>
> How big are these drives exactly?

**
I previously said my drive is a 40gb drive - but my question about people
with the now common multi - 100gb drives still goes - is ndd going to fail
on all of those???? If someone does have a LARGE drive, he is obviously
going to have a huge number of directories on it, isn't he.
***

> > Or is something else going on here?
>
> I suspect that NDD can't cope with the 9000+ dirs, but that's just a
guess.
> I may be able to test this on my 2001 version. I have to write a program
> or script to create dirs first though. There's no way I'm going to do it
> manually! :)

**
I feel for you - same as manually counting directories. Seems that a simple
'basic' program could do the creation for you - I think I did that once up a
time myself for some test I was running.
**

Maybe tonight or tommorrow when I have more time.

**
See above comment about large drives.

(Maybe the endgame is that ndd cannot handle a large number of directories
and fails more often than we know of, others just have not complained about
it so we think that 'our' problem is unique when it really is not.)
**

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:09:06 AM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uXUZzZ6aFHA.724@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message

> file
> is
>> >>

>> > Yes that is the DOS version - the one that fails is the windows version.
>>
>> Now I'm confused. You were working on getting ndd.exe copied over to
>> scandisk.alt, so that ndd would run on a bad shutdown. Scandisk.alt
>> runs from real-mode DOS before Windows loads.

> autoexec.bat
> check
> on the
>>
>> The above statement suggests the real mode DOS version. What's the screen
>> look like? Two small blue "blocky windows"? If so, what's in the top
> window?
>
> **
> Yes, two blocky windows - the top one listing directories, files, etc. with
> a check mark showing progress, and the bottom one counting how many with a
> progress bar.

Well, my real-mode DOS executable NDD.EXE looks like this-
http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/ndd.gif
Is that it?

> These look like the same type of windows that scandskw exhibits (windows
> type dialog boxes - not DOS type boxes.)

And this runs after a bad shutdown?

> The DOS version is the one I complained about that said MS Scandisk - I
> don't want that version..

Ok. Got that.

>> How big are these drives exactly?
>
> **
> I previously said my drive is a 40gb drive -

Ok, I missed that.

> but my question about people
> with the now common multi - 100gb drives still goes - is ndd going to fail
> on all of those???? If someone does have a LARGE drive, he is obviously
> going to have a huge number of directories on it, isn't he.

I'd say it depends on what version. A lot of older disk related software
fails on BIG drives.

> (Maybe the endgame is that ndd cannot handle a large number of directories
> and fails more often than we know of, others just have not complained about
> it so we think that 'our' problem is unique when it really is not.)

That could be a part of it.
June 8, 2005 12:09:07 AM

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > file
> > is
Scandskw.exe(Windows)

> >> Now I'm confused. You were working on getting ndd.exe copied over to
> >> scandisk.alt, so that ndd would run on a bad shutdown. Scandisk.alt
> >> runs from real-mode DOS before Windows loads.

> > autoexec.bat
> > check
> > on the
> >>
> >> The above statement suggests the real mode DOS version. What's the
screen
> >> look like? Two small blue "blocky windows"? If so, what's in the top
> > window?
> >
> > **
> > Yes, two blocky windows - the top one listing directories, files, etc.
with
> > a check mark showing progress, and the bottom one counting how many with
> > progress bar.
>
> Well, my real-mode DOS executable NDD.EXE looks like this-
> http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/ndd.gif
> Is that it?

**
Yep - I thought it was a windows program.
**

> > These look like the same type of windows that scandskw exhibits (windows
> > type dialog boxes - not DOS type boxes.)
>
> And this runs after a bad shutdown?
>

> > The DOS version is the one I complained about that said MS Scandisk - I
> > don't want that version..
>
> Ok. Got that.
>

> >> How big are these drives exactly?
> >
> > **
> > I previously said my drive is a 40gb drive -
>
> Ok, I missed that.
>
> > but my question about people
> > with the now common multi - 100gb drives still goes - is ndd going to
fail
> > on all of those???? If someone does have a LARGE drive, he is obviously
> > going to have a huge number of directories on it, isn't he.
>
> I'd say it depends on what version. A lot of older disk related software
> fails on BIG drives.

**
I know some drives even have software to kid the os into thinking it is a
smaller drive - that software sometimes screws up other software - around
and around.
**

> > (Maybe the endgame is that ndd cannot handle a large number of
directories
> > and fails more often than we know of, others just have not complained
about
> > it so we think that 'our' problem is unique when it really is not.)
>
> That could be a part of it.

**
I'll keep monitoring the situation and maybe upgrade to another ndd.

Will let you know what happens next.

Thanks for your information/help.
***

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:39:18 PM

"Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23KHEBi8aFHA.2860@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message

>> Well, my real-mode DOS executable NDD.EXE looks like this-
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/ndd.gif
>> Is that it?

> Yep - I thought it was a windows program.

Yeah, that's the DOS version in DOS "text-GUI". It's all
bios video mode 3 iirc.

I just ran ndd.exe (2001) on a drive with 9004 directories and it failed
after processing 7441, with this message. (overwriting the screen)

Error [35]: General protection fault in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\NDD.EXE at 0090:1674

code 0000 SS=0FD8 DS=FEE0 ES=0000 load base=AB40
AX=0000 BX=FFFF CX=0800 DX=FFFF SP=EFCC BP=EFD8 SI=0000 DI=0000

ÉÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÂ
¹ Analyzing directory structure... Ù
¹ Ù
¹ 01435 Ù
¹ Ù
¹ Directories Processed: 7,441 Ù
ÌÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÈ

You said yours failed at 7000+, so it appears to be a ndd limit.

> I'll keep monitoring the situation and maybe upgrade to another ndd.

Looks like you might have to. 9000+ dirs still seems high. You might want
to investigate that.

You can try this (if it doesn't crash explorer)
Open Windows explorer, and have it display the folder's pane on the
left. Highlight the C: drive in the folder's pane to give it focus,
and then hit the * on the numeric keypad. It'll take a while, but
that will expand all the folders and subfolders on the drive.
After it's finished scroll down and look for any anomolies. e.g. A
lot of random "temp" names in the same folder.

Well, that's all I have. NDD appears to be the problem.

> Thanks for your information/help.

You're welcome.
June 8, 2005 8:40:30 PM

> "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
>
> >> Well, my real-mode DOS executable NDD.EXE looks like this-
> >> http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/ndd.gif
> >> Is that it?
>
> > Yep - I thought it was a windows program.
>
> Yeah, that's the DOS version in DOS "text-GUI". It's all
> bios video mode 3 iirc.
>

> I just ran ndd.exe (2001) on a drive with 9004 directories and it failed
> after processing 7441, with this message. (overwriting the screen)
>
> Error [35]: General protection fault in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\NDD.EXE at
0090:1674

> code 0000 SS=0FD8 DS=FEE0 ES=0000 load base=AB40
> AX=0000 BX=FFFF CX=0800 DX=FFFF SP=EFCC BP=EFD8 SI=0000 DI=0000
>
> ÉÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÂ
> ¹ Analyzing directory structure... Ù
> ¹ Ù
> ¹ 01435 Ù
> ¹ Ù
> ¹ Directories Processed: 7,441 Ù
> ÌÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÈ

**
I think that mine failed at very close to your 7441 number - which confirms
your assumption.

I guess that all that hassle and consternation was for naught - ndd failure
not my computer failure.

I guess this closes the discussion as 'inconclusive' (Symantec is certainly
not going to concern itself with fixing "this" problem, even if someone
makes them aware of their problem.)

Thanks to all who added to this thread - and maybe to the education of all
who have been reading it.
***

ou can try this (if it doesn't crash explorer)
> Open Windows explorer, and have it display the folder's pane on the
> left. Highlight the C: drive in the folder's pane to give it focus,
> and then hit the * on the numeric keypad. It'll take a while, but
> that will expand all the folders and subfolders on the drive.
> After it's finished scroll down and look for any anomolies. e.g. A
> lot of random "temp" names in the same folder.
>
> Well, that's all I have. NDD appears to be the problem.
>

> > Thanks for your information/help.
>
> You're welcome.

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:29:13 PM

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
> On Mon, 2 May 2005 14:38:41 -0700, "Anon" <a_none_mous_e@hotmail.com>
>

>>I had posted this question at the bottom my previous post.
>>I do need an answer to this ongoing problem!!!
>

> OK
>

>>Second question re scandisk.alt - why do I get a gpf error while running it
>>(automatic run after a bad shutdown) - it aborts in the middle of checking
>>the hard drive (usually while checking either the directory structure or
>>file integrality)?
>

> That may be something beyond the original problem scope, so I'd back
> out and do "the prelim" a la...
>
> http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm
>
> ...and then proceed to the usual startup debugging approach, i.e.
> comparing Safe Mode vs. MSConfig startup suppression, etc.
>

>>(I have removed and recopied ndd.exe/renamed it to scandisk.alt several
>>times with no change in the gpf error.)
>

> I'd also FC all the code files that comprise the Scandisk subsystem.
> Maybe one oif these is corrupted?
>

>>BTW the gpf only aborts scandisk.alt and does not otherwise affect the
>>computer as it continues to load windows without any further problems.

> Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com

I'd suggest doing a repair install of win 98 by using the recovery CD
that came with your PC.

Alternativly ask scandisk not to check directory structure or file
integrity.
!