MSI K7N2G-L CPU Question *Noob Alert*

Hello,
I'm sorry for asking such a beginners question but I need to know the answer. I have a MSI K7N2G-L motherboard and I would like to buy a CPU for it. Here's the details on the CPU's it supports:

CPU
• Supports Socket A for AMD® Athlon™/Athlon™ XP/Duron™ processors @FSB 100/133/166
• Supports 600MHz up to Athlon(tm) XP 2700+ processor or higher

So it says that it supports CPU's with a front-side bus of 100, 133, or 166. My question is, do I need to buy a CPU with a max front-side bus of one of 100, 133, or 166? Or can I buy a newer CPU with a higher max front-side bus and then my board will only use what it's capable of? What does everyone suggest I do, buy a new CPU or look on ebay for a proc with a fsb of 166?

Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about k7n2g question noob alert
  1. I'm fairly sure that the highest FSB available for a socket A CPU was 200mhz, which is not miles away from 166mhz. You probably will have to update your BIOS in order to buy a new CPU because the only socket A models still available easily are Sempron, which will require a BIOS update.

If you buy a second hand CPU just get one with the highest speed you can afford - the FSB speed tended to increase with the speed of the processor - if you get a 3000+, for example, it'll likely be 200mhz.

Just buy the fastest processor, and update your BIOS.
  2. Get your self this and the whole world is in front of you 8)
    There says that it supports "only" ASrock socket a boards.

Meyby that is nont truth.

http://www.asrock.com/product/754Bridge.htm
  3. That was a totally useless and you're only going to confuse him with that.

Barrow, totally ignore this guy.
  4. Ignorance is a bliss.

Quote:
    I'm fairly sure that the highest FSB available for a socket A CPU was 200mhz, which is not miles away from 166mhz. You probably will have to update your BIOS in order to buy a new CPU because the only socket A models still available easily are Sempron, which will require a BIOS update.

If you buy a second hand CPU just get one with the highest speed you can afford - the FSB speed tended to increase with the speed of the processor - if you get a 3000+, for example, it'll likely be 200mhz.

Just buy the fastest processor, and update your BIOS.

Try bouth things.
  5. Thanks for your help everyone. This forum is a great resource.
  6. Don't bother looking at the ASRock device, it only works with certain ASRock motherboards, which you don't have.

Vulefu, sorry to be rude, but don't offer advice on stuff that you quite clearly don't have the simplest grasp of.
  7. Meyb ASrock just say soo so that you buy their ASrock Socket A board.
Ask a new question

Read More

MSI-Microstar Bus CPUs Windows XP Motherboards