Beginner's questions on PSU power cables

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I am wondering what the best way is to get some extra 4-pin molex connectors into my case. I have 2 free 4-pin slots in my computer and need at least three of them. I have bought two 4-pin-> 2 X 4-in extension cables already and will use those, but I am wondering if I can use any of the other cables in the case.

The two sables I am unsure of are one that is a female and has 12 slots in it, 6 on the top part and 6 on the bottom, and one extra HDD cable (since I only have 1 HDD only 1 is being used).

I was wondering if I could use these cables in any way so I do not have to plug multiple components into the same molex connector, thus reducing their power. I want me neon's and LED's to remain as bright as possible :) Thanks!

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Might need some more Y cables.

Otherwise grab some quick crimps and bits of useless molex cables and be careful with joining them together.

If you only have one power rail in your PSU it won't matter about pulling the power from the one line out. Fans and LEDs don't use that much power.

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
usually neon and fan have y conectors , so you can attache a full line of 4 or 5 fans in same molex as their power consume are not that high... using in one power supply line or in two different lines, will not affect the bright or the speed of fan...unless you surpass the power line capacity ... if you did...get a better PS... I have conected for show up cases up to 7 neon fan plus neon light in 1 molex and they are worked fine in demo system...