Failed install on KB837009

Have been trying to install this "critical update" for the last several days.
Each try shows that the download was successfully installed, but, the very
next scan of my pc doesn't pickup that this update is present. And in
checking on the update items listed in the control panel/programs, it doesn't
show there either. Not sure why this download is escaping the customary
experience for these types of adds. Any suggestions?
6 answers Last reply
More about failed install kb837009

    It could be these three need to come in, in the following sequence...

    (a) Q330994
    (b) Q837009
    (c) Q823353 (This is 3rd, but no longer offered at Windows Update.)

    And, "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Install/Uninstall tab" for me
    shows...
    Outlook Express Q823353
    ....but it was Outlook Express Q837009
    ....& before that Outlook Express Q330994.
    ....I never took Outlook Express Q887797, & I hope you didn't, either.

    Do you have any of the three/four? Then, uninstall whichever is in
    there, & go see what happens at Windows Update.

    I think you want to end up with at least Q837009. But I have Q823353, &
    Glee is considering it.

    What shows up at... IE6, Help, About...

    SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
    Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
    Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
    Q891781, & Q890923.

    Note how all THREE of mine show up there... Q330994, Q837009, Q823353...
    & in the sequence in which they were installed. It could be sequence is
    important. (But only the last shows up in Add/Remove Programs, meaning
    the first two were replaced.

    Uh-oh...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
    Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
    ....is an optional one (not offered at Windows Update) I currently do not
    intend to take. I do not know I have the conditions of which it speaks,
    & I do not like the rigmarole of activating bits/pieces of it.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Manny T." <MannyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Have been trying to install this "critical update" for the last
    several days.
    | Each try shows that the download was successfully installed, but, the
    very
    | next scan of my pc doesn't pickup that this update is present. And in
    | checking on the update items listed in the control panel/programs, it
    doesn't
    | show there either. Not sure why this download is escaping the
    customary
    | experience for these types of adds. Any suggestions?

    If you have the 823353 update listed in Add\Remove Programs, uninstall it; then
    also uninstall 837009 update if it is listed. After that, go to Windows Update and
    install what critical updates it says you need....it should say you need 837009.
    After it installs, go back to Windows Update and see if it finds anything else.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "glee" wrote:

    > If you have the 823353 update listed in Add\Remove Programs, uninstall it; then
    > also uninstall 837009 update if it is listed. After that, go to Windows Update and
    > install what critical updates it says you need....it should say you need 837009.
    > After it installs, go back to Windows Update and see if it finds anything else.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >
    > "Manny T." <MannyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Have been trying to install this "critical update" for the last several days.
    > > Each try shows that the download was successfully installed, but, the very
    > > next scan of my pc doesn't pickup that this update is present. And in
    > > checking on the update items listed in the control panel/programs, it doesn't
    > > show there either. Not sure why this download is escaping the customary
    > > experience for these types of adds. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Glen, thank you very much!! The solution you provided corrected the failed installation.

    What about my solution?

    --

    "PCR" wrote:

    > What about my solution?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Manny T." <MannyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > |

    > | "glee" wrote:
    > |
    > | > If you have the 823353 update listed in Add\Remove Programs,
    > uninstall it; then
    > | > also uninstall 837009 update if it is listed. After that, go to
    > Windows Update and
    > | > install what critical updates it says you need....it should say you
    > need 837009.
    > | > After it installs, go back to Windows Update and see if it finds
    > anything else.
    > | > --
    > | > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > | > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > | >
    > | > "Manny T." <MannyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > several days.
    > the very
    > in
    > it doesn't
    > customary
    > | >
    > | > Glen, thank you very much!! The solution you provided corrected the
    > failed installation.
    >
    > PCR, I appreciate your response and in looking at it the second time, it was probably also a suitable route to achieve the same results as were achieved from the other reply I received. But, since the other reply corrected my issue on the first application, there was no need to seek another approach since my issue had been resolved. Thanks again for your input and concern.

    I think you made a good choice. OK, then.

    --

    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > What about my solution?
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Manny T." <MannyT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "glee" wrote:
    | > |
    | > uninstall it; then
    | > Windows Update and
    | > need 837009.
    | > anything else.

    | > several days.
    | > the very
    And
    | > in
    | > it doesn't
    | > customary

    | > failed installation.
    | >
    | > PCR, I appreciate your response and in looking at it the second
    time, it was probably also a suitable route to achieve the same results
    as were achieved from the other reply I received. But, since the other
    reply corrected my issue on the first application, there was no need to
    seek another approach since my issue had been resolved. Thanks again for
    your input and concern.

Download Control Panel Microsoft Windows