AVG .308 UD Failure

Howdy Brain Trust ;

I tried to update the AVG Installation file 7.0.308 from
[free.grisoft.com] and provoked the alert below.
Could this have something to do with KB recent updates?

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avgemc.exe: terminating process....
Application AVGEMC (class AVGEMC_CLASS) did not stop upon
request withing timeout 15000 milliseconds.

rooster
boundary bay, b c

I suggest you check on AVG's own web forums, but it sounds like a corrupted file or
a connection timeout. Try downloading again. When all else fails, I have gotten
around such problems with AVG by uninstalling and reinstalling AVG, then updating
through the automatic updater.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> Howdy Brain Trust ;
>
> I tried to update the AVG Installation file 7.0.308 from
> [free.grisoft.com] and provoked the alert below.
> Could this have something to do with KB recent updates?
>

> Local machine: installation failed
> Installation:
> Error: Action failed for file avgemc.exe: terminating process....
> Application AVGEMC (class AVGEMC_CLASS) did not stop upon
> request withing timeout 15000 milliseconds.
>
> rooster
> boundary bay, b c

Hi Glen;

Ok; I fess up. I was 'double dipping'. AVG forum dude (JayTee) had
recommended uninstalling in Safe Mode and then reinstalling. I ran into a
few snags trying this and I wondered (worried) if there might be more to the
problem than just a wobbly UD.

I've more or less concluded that, owing to frequent UD problems with
Grisoft, the smart thing to do is do the install on a clean slate: dump
everything, unselect all AVG components at msconfig startup restart; then
access the dl. ... seems to me I have seen similar recommendations on this
forum .... someday I'll learn.

Did I mention that the reinstall worked??? No ??? Well it did.

Thanks a bunch,
rooster

AVG periodically has problems with its update server, and you can't get updates. It
seems their free server gets overloaded, and you can't change to another server
unless you are using the paid version of AVG.

Glad you got it working!
--

> Hi Glen;
>
> Ok; I fess up. I was 'double dipping'. AVG forum dude (JayTee) had
> recommended uninstalling in Safe Mode and then reinstalling. I ran into a
> few snags trying this and I wondered (worried) if there might be more to the
> problem than just a wobbly UD.
>
> I've more or less concluded that, owing to frequent UD problems with
> Grisoft, the smart thing to do is do the install on a clean slate: dump
> everything, unselect all AVG components at msconfig startup restart; then
> access the dl. ... seems to me I have seen similar recommendations on this
> forum .... someday I'll learn.
>
> Did I mention that the reinstall worked??? No ??? Well it did.
>
> Thanks a bunch,
> rooster

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 06:57:57 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>AVG periodically has problems with its update server, and you can't get updates. It
>seems their free server gets overloaded, and you can't change to another server
>unless you are using the paid version of AVG.

Yes you can :).

Add this to your Hosts file:

"193.86.103.19 guru.grisoft.com"

(Without the quotes, of course.)

AVG will then update from http://www.grisoft.com.

--
Luke

"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 06:57:57 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >AVG periodically has problems with its update server, and you can't get updates.
It
> >seems their free server gets overloaded, and you can't change to another server
> >unless you are using the paid version of AVG.
>
> Yes you can :).
>
> Add this to your Hosts file:
>
> "193.86.103.19 guru.grisoft.com"
>
> (Without the quotes, of course.)
>
> AVG will then update from http://www.grisoft.com.

May the Force be with you, Luke! Why didn't I think of that? ;-)
--

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:17:28 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>"Luke" <luke@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 06:57:57 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >AVG periodically has problems with its update server, and you can't get updates.
>It
>> >seems their free server gets overloaded, and you can't change to another server
>> >unless you are using the paid version of AVG.
>>
>> Yes you can :).
>>
>> Add this to your Hosts file:
>>
>> "193.86.103.19 guru.grisoft.com"
>>
>> (Without the quotes, of course.)
>>
>> AVG will then update from http://www.grisoft.com.
>
>May the Force be with you, Luke! Why didn't I think of that? ;-)

I didn't think of it, either :). It was suggested by several folks on
alt.windows.98 or alt.comp.anti-virus ... I think.

--
Luke