My situation...

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 29, 2005 9:56:03 PM

Hey all,

I have a formated Toshiba Tecra notebook. It has only one PCMCIA slot. I can
switch in between the FDD and CDROM devices but both cannot go at the same
time.

So i can boot up, repartition, format... What do i do after?
I copied the system files onto the harddrive but it's got no driver for the
CDROM...

How do I go to install Win 98 ? Is there a generic type of driver i could
download and put on floppy ?

More about : situation

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 10:28:44 PM

"=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTC4=?=" <DavidL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hey all,
>
> I have a formated Toshiba Tecra notebook. It has only one PCMCIA slot.
> I can switch in between the FDD and CDROM devices but both cannot go
> at the same time.
>
> So i can boot up, repartition, format... What do i do after?
> I copied the system files onto the harddrive but it's got no driver
> for the CDROM...
>
> How do I go to install Win 98 ? Is there a generic type of driver i
> could download and put on floppy ?

If it's "formatted" already, then you aren't risking anything.
Make sure you have a Windows 98 startup disk. If you don't you can get one
from www.bootdisk.com
Boot from it and format your hard drive using the "format /s" command.
Open "edit" and type in "DEVICE=OakCdRom.SYS /D:MSCD001". Save the file on
C drive as "CONFIG.SYS"
Open "edit" again and type in "LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001". Save that on C
drive as "AUTOEXEC.BAT"
Then type "c:" to get to the C:\ prompt.
Type "copy a:o akcdrom.sys" <enter>
Type "copy d:mscdex.exe" (drive D is your ramdrive)
Turn off your computer. Take your floppy drive out, put in your CD Drive.
Reboot your computer. It should boot to a C:\ prompt.
D should now be your CDRom drive. Type "d:" to switch to the D:\ prompt.
Put your Windows 98 installation CD in the drive and type "setup".
Your should be off and going.
The only reason I can think why it wouldn't work would be that oakcdrom.sys
wouldn't recognize your CDRom. but it *does* recognize almost all of them.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous

David L. wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have a formated Toshiba Tecra notebook. It has only one PCMCIA slot. I can
> switch in between the FDD and CDROM devices but both cannot go at the same
> time.
>
> So i can boot up, repartition, format... What do i do after?
> I copied the system files onto the harddrive but it's got no driver for the
> CDROM...

OK.
Q) What system files? If your diskette is a DOS booting one did you sys.
the drive? Or format /s?
Usually you can create a booting diskette and incorporate into it
recognition of CDROM by editing autoexec.bat and config.sys.
Then just copy all files on it to your C: drive, again edit those files
to point to drive c: as source of info instead of drive a:, and you have
booting hard disk with recognition of CDROM drive.
Then either install from CD, or (my preference) create a directory on
hard disk WIN98 and copy contents of directory by the same name on CD
into this directory. It is about 120M.
Then navigate yourself into this directory and type "setup".
As easy as that.

> How do I go to install Win 98 ? Is there a generic type of driver i could
> download and put on floppy ?

The driver that I use is CYBIDE.SYS but any CDROM drive usually has a
diskette with some DOS driver on it. Once you have it the rest is just
CLI work.

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.
April 30, 2005 8:46:02 PM

Ok guys that part worked out fine! Thanks!
Now that i can detect the cd. when i use the setup command, I get the
"program cannot be run in dos mode"

what should i do now ?

thanks!

"Stanislaw Flatto" wrote:

> David L. wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I have a formated Toshiba Tecra notebook. It has only one PCMCIA slot. I can
> > switch in between the FDD and CDROM devices but both cannot go at the same
> > time.
> >
> > So i can boot up, repartition, format... What do i do after?
> > I copied the system files onto the harddrive but it's got no driver for the
> > CDROM...
>
> OK.
> Q) What system files? If your diskette is a DOS booting one did you sys.
> the drive? Or format /s?
> Usually you can create a booting diskette and incorporate into it
> recognition of CDROM by editing autoexec.bat and config.sys.
> Then just copy all files on it to your C: drive, again edit those files
> to point to drive c: as source of info instead of drive a:, and you have
> booting hard disk with recognition of CDROM drive.
> Then either install from CD, or (my preference) create a directory on
> hard disk WIN98 and copy contents of directory by the same name on CD
> into this directory. It is about 120M.
> Then navigate yourself into this directory and type "setup".
> As easy as that.
>

> > How do I go to install Win 98 ? Is there a generic type of driver i could
> > download and put on floppy ?
>
> The driver that I use is CYBIDE.SYS but any CDROM drive usually has a
> diskette with some DOS driver on it. Once you have it the rest is just
> CLI work.
>
> HTH
>
> Stanislaw
> Slack user from Ulladulla.

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:09:02 AM

David L. wrote:
> Ok guys that part worked out fine! Thanks!
> Now that i can detect the cd. when i use the setup command, I get the
> "program cannot be run in dos mode"
>
> what should i do now ?
>
> thanks!

Me again.
Now you got me confused.
a) Which DOS? The command "ver" should report "Microsoft Windows ...."
or DOS 7.( The diskette on booting flashes "Microsoft Windows" for a moment)
b) Which "setup"? As I call the setup IN win98 directory on CD (or from
the copied directory on hard disk) it behaves normally.
Note: My booting diskette was created in "MS-DOS Prompt" of a working 98
install, files FDISK; FORMAT; EDIT; MSCDEX; HIMEM were copied from
Command directory of this install.
If you need more info let me know.

Have fun

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:04:06 PM

David L. wrote:

Me again.
Booted win98 and looked around. In the directory win98 on my hard drive
(which IS a copy from CD) there exist a "setup.txt" file.
Give it few moments, it may be addressing your "situation".

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.
!