changing the file limits for "view" on the toolbar in the ..

Somewhere I recall that in the registry the "view" file limits can be
increased. I like to view my files in "detail view" but it keeps defaulting
itself back to the large icons. I have to change it back to "detail view"
every time I want to look at my files. If someone knows in the registry
where this can be changed, I would appreciate it very much, thank you.
6 answers Last reply
More about changing file limits view toolbar

    Click Start> Settings> Folder Options> General tab.
    Click "Custom, based on settings you choose", then click the Settings button.
    Select the settings you want there, and click OK.

    Click the View tab.
    Make sure there is a check in the box for "Remember each folder's view
    settings"...add it if not there...and click OK.

    Open only one instance of Windows Explorer, to C:.
    Click View menu> Details, and also adjust any other view settings you want, such as
    the file-type order.
    Hit the F5 key.
    [Optional: Click the View menu>Folder Options (or Tools menu>Folder Options), and
    click the View tab. Click the "Like Current Folder" button, and click OK.]
    Close Explorer by holding down the CTRL key while clicking the X in the upper right
    corner (Do NOT use File menu> Close).

    Also see here, on Ron Badour's web site:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/tips_a_-_d.html

    Scroll down to:
    CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN DUAL-PANE WINDOWS
    and
    CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN SINGLE-PANE WINDOWS
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Somewhere I recall that in the registry the "view" file limits can be
    > increased. I like to view my files in "detail view" but it keeps defaulting
    > itself back to the large icons. I have to change it back to "detail view"
    > every time I want to look at my files. If someone knows in the registry
    > where this can be changed, I would appreciate it very much, thank you.

    Here, I would strongly disagree with your recommendation, Glen.

    "Remember Each Folder's View Settings" should be *disabled* if you want
    a stable system that consistently retains the default view. True, you
    have to choose one and only one View that is most appropriate, most of
    the time, and manually change it for those folders that make more sense
    in some other view. For me, that default view is always "Detailed".

    With "Remember each folder's view settings" enabled, there is a limit to
    the number of such folders for which view settings can be retained,
    something around 200, though it varies. Since a new "setting" get
    remembered any time you change *anything*--View, Sort order, etc.--in a
    folder, it doesn't take long to hit the limit and start forgetting older
    entries. In fact, I've often thought that at least in some cases, a new
    View actually gets "re-remembered" each time you close a folder.

    And, no, you can't increase the number of "views" that can be
    remembered. Worse yet, limit isn't in the number, it's a "byte limit",
    with some views requiring two or three of those "200".

    My standard procedure on any machine I get my hands on is to "Show All
    Files", "Allow all UPPER CASE names", and disable both "Remember..." and
    "Hide Extensions..." Once a user gets accustomed to the benefits of
    Detailed view, and learns how to sort using column headers, while
    occasionally, manually, choosing Thumbnail view (when Active Desktop w/
    Preview is turned off, as it should be) they're always impressed by the
    stability that results. I've seldom found any clients who've undone
    these settings after I leave. In fact, I've gotten a few calls from
    clients asking how to restore them, when some other "tech" or "helpful
    friend" has changed what I've previously set.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Click Start> Settings> Folder Options> General tab.
    > Click "Custom, based on settings you choose", then click the Settings
    button.
    > Select the settings you want there, and click OK.
    >
    > Click the View tab.
    > Make sure there is a check in the box for "Remember each folder's view
    > settings"...add it if not there...and click OK.
    >
    > Open only one instance of Windows Explorer, to C:.
    > Click View menu> Details, and also adjust any other view settings you
    want, such as
    > the file-type order.
    > Hit the F5 key.
    > [Optional: Click the View menu>Folder Options (or Tools menu>Folder
    Options), and
    > click the View tab. Click the "Like Current Folder" button, and click
    OK.]
    > Close Explorer by holding down the CTRL key while clicking the X in
    the upper right
    > corner (Do NOT use File menu> Close).
    >
    > Also see here, on Ron Badour's web site:
    > http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/tips_a_-_d.html
    >
    > Scroll down to:
    > CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN DUAL-PANE WINDOWS
    > and
    > CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN SINGLE-PANE WINDOWS
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Somewhere I recall that in the registry the "view" file limits can
    be
    > > increased. I like to view my files in "detail view" but it keeps
    defaulting
    > > itself back to the large icons. I have to change it back to "detail
    view"
    > > every time I want to look at my files. If someone knows in the
    registry
    > > where this can be changed, I would appreciate it very much, thank
    you.

    Well, you are actually only disagreeing with *one* of the settings, Gary, not with
    the whole recommendation. <s> You are giving the OP the impression that you
    disagree with the whole procedure, which I do not think is the case.

    I have not had any problem with "Remember Each Folder's View Settings" being enabled
    on any of my many Win98 machines; and yes, there is a limit in the Registry on the
    number of remembered window views. I will try your setting on this machine and see
    if I notice any difference, but since I rarely have a problem with forgotten
    settings in a folder view, I may not notice anything. :-)

    The only other difference in our settings is that I only rarely "Allow all uppercase
    names" for clients' machines, as many have no need for it, and don't like it.
    --

> [...]
    > > CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN DUAL-PANE WINDOWS
    > > and
    > > CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN SINGLE-PANE WINDOWS
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Somewhere I recall that in the registry the "view" file limits can
    > be
    > > > increased. I like to view my files in "detail view" but it keeps
    > defaulting
    > > > itself back to the large icons. I have to change it back to "detail
    > view"
    > > > every time I want to look at my files. If someone knows in the
    > registry
    > > > where this can be changed, I would appreciate it very much, thank

    You're right, of course. The "Remember Settings" recommendation jumped
    out and shoved me into my commentary without regard for the rest--and, I
    would usually take it for granted that we generally agree on most things
    of this nature, and improperly assumed that everyone else would likewise
    take that for granted, <s>.

    It all, of course, depends on how much you use Explorer. Many, if not
    most, of my clients aren't even aware that it exists until I point it
    out in my initial tutorials. They open programs, then use File>Open to
    get to files. Even here, we see lots of people confusing files with the
    programs that open them.

    Myself, I *live* in Explorer. It's one of the three always-open windows
    on my screen, along with OE and IE. I noticed the benefits from
    disabling the "Remember" setting quite early on. Even for folders full
    of images (which are a major part of my work), I generally use Detailed
    view unless I have a specific need to see the thumbnails. (And even
    then, with XP's Preview app, I often just go to the general area where I
    expect to find something, then click through them using the Fax/Picture
    Viewer.)

    On the other hand, I'm forever re-sorting large folders using any one of
    the usual columns in Detailed View to locate the file or files I'm
    looking for.

    As for the "All UPPER CASE" issue, as you know, I'm a big fan of seeing
    things as they really are, in order to lessen potential sources of
    confusion, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Well, you are actually only disagreeing with *one* of the settings,
    Gary, not with
    > the whole recommendation. <s> You are giving the OP the impression
    that you
    > disagree with the whole procedure, which I do not think is the case.
    >
    > I have not had any problem with "Remember Each Folder's View Settings"
    being enabled
    > on any of my many Win98 machines; and yes, there is a limit in the
    Registry on the
    > number of remembered window views. I will try your setting on this
    machine and see
    > if I notice any difference, but since I rarely have a problem with
    forgotten
    > settings in a folder view, I may not notice anything. :-)
    >
    > The only other difference in our settings is that I only rarely "Allow
    all uppercase
    > names" for clients' machines, as many have no need for it, and don't
    like it.

    Gary, thanks for the information on the limitations pertaining to the file
    limits (200). I knew I might have seensomething a while back that pertains to
    this issue. I finally found it in WINXP news the 12-7-04 edition. Here is a
    copy of the portion, with the web address below.

    Why Doesn't Windows Remember My Folder View Settings?

    If you've changed the view settings for a folder, but Windows "forgets" the
    settings when you open the folder again, or if Windows doesn't seem to
    remember the size or position of your folder window when you reopen it, this
    could be caused by the default limitation on storing view settings data in
    the registry; by default Windows only remembers settings for a total of 200
    local folders and 200 network folders.

    You can work around the problem by changing a couple of registry values. For
    detailed information on how to do so, see KB article 813711 at:
    http://www.winxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=041207CO-KB_813711

    O that web address there is a workaround, and I was wondering if that can be
    done in 16bit regeditor or is this just for the 32bit regeditor? Let me know
    when you get a chance. Thank you.

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> [...]
    > > CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN DUAL-PANE WINDOWS
    > > and
    > > CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN SINGLE-PANE WINDOWS
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "mrbigbry" <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Somewhere I recall that in the registry the "view" file limits can
    > be
    > > > increased. I like to view my files in "detail view" but it keeps
    > defaulting
    > > > itself back to the large icons. I have to change it back to "detail
    > view"
    > > > every time I want to look at my files. If someone knows in the
    > registry
    > > > where this can be changed, I would appreciate it very much, thank

    Well, considering the fact that the only two articles in the entire KB
    that mention "BagMRU" or "Shell\Bags" only apply to versions of Windows
    XP and Server 2003, with no mention of any 9x or earlier NT versions,
    not even the still-supported Win2000, it would surprise me if the
    setting had any effect on earlier versions of Windows.

    Only way to know for sure would be to try it. I don't see how the
    version of Regedit would have any impact on the implementation.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
    you
    > > want, such as
    > > > the file-type order.
    > > > Hit the F5 key.
    > > > [Optional: Click the View menu>Folder Options (or Tools
    menu>Folder
    > > Options), and
    > > > click the View tab. Click the "Like Current Folder" button, and
    click
    > > OK.]
    > > > Close Explorer by holding down the CTRL key while clicking the X
    in
    > > the upper right
    > > > corner (Do NOT use File menu> Close).
    > > >
    > > > Also see here, on Ron Badour's web site:
    > > > http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/tips_a_-_d.html
    > > >
    > > > Scroll down to:
    > > > CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN DUAL-PANE WINDOWS
    > > > and
    > > > CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN SINGLE-PANE WINDOWS

Registry Microsoft Windows