450Mhz - 475Mhz, Big increase in 3DMark, but not in games!?

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Hi, just had my old faulty 7800GTX (450Mhz) replaced (through RMA) with a new 7800GTX 475Mhz version and something wierd is going on. When i started up a game i didnt notice much, if not any performance increase at all, but when i ran 3DMark05 afterwards i got over 250 increase on my previous score!? present score-8307, previous score-8052. Whats up with that?

cleeve

Illustrious
Future mark is a benchmark for future titles, usually shader heavy.

Not all games are created equal though, and many games stress different parts of your computer.

3dMark rarely represents current games accurately, as far as performance goes...

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Hi, just had my old faulty 7800GTX (450Mhz) replaced (through RMA) with a new 7800GTX 475Mhz version and something wierd is going on. When i started up a game i didnt notice much, if not any performance increase at all, but when i ran 3DMark05 afterwards i got over 250 increase on my previous score!? present score-8307, previous score-8052. Whats up with that?

3DMark is 3dmark, Doom 3 is Doom 3, WoW is WoW--no one program can ever truly be a baseline for every program. Half-Life 2 tends to favor ATI video cards over NVIDIA cards in general, but then again WoW prefers NVIDIA cards. 3Dmark is only one program (or suite) of many that can be used to measure performance. Play other games and see if every game performs the same...chances are that one of them you will notice a significant difference in performance.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Benchmarking software are just that and they don't actually relate the performance of your hardware to real applications. Like when I got my cpu overclock from 3.2 to 3.840Ghz although I have some improvements on gaming and the super PI results on the shader benchmarks like that of 3D Marks I only had 200 points increase. So don't rely much on them benchmarking tools. :)

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
It only measures the performance capability, doesnt say that your card will run like that. It just shows you your current performing abilities. To really test it for games, try using 3Dmark06 @ www.majorgeeks.com
There the benchmarks will really put your system under a heavy load.
-Good Luck-

Also remember that the GF7 series has that staggered OCing implementation where some part are OC'ed and some aren't (can't rememeber which componenets at this second) and it may make a bit of a difference depending on what's stressed as some games are more/less intensive on some component (like vertex load) than the benchmark might be.

Also depends on what's a "big" increase. 500 points in 3Dmark03/5 seems like a big boost, but is usually really just a minor boost for most modern systems. Look at your score that change amounts to about 4%, do you really notice 4% improvement in anything? Heck the standard margin of error for things is 5%.