Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual Boot Advice Needed

Tags:
  • Dual Boot
  • Windows XP
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I'm running Win98se on a 40gb hard drive with about 5gb free. My plan
is to add another 40gb hd, install Win XP and have a dual boot. How
does that sound? Some literature I have talks about this but on one hd
that has a second partition. I think it says that when you boot, XP
will ask Win98 or xp. So will this idea work? Thanks.

More about : dual boot advice needed

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:18:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I believe the XP boot manager will work with two hard drives; however, for
error free operation, I use a boot manager that will boot from a second
hard drive:

BootIt Next Generation is available from: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
and it does partitioning, makes a compressed image, does many other
partitioning chores and is a boot manager. It is not quite as easy to use
as Partition Magic but it is half the cost and has more features. Unlike
the crippled PMagic demo, BING is a *full function* demo you can try for
FREE for 30 days. The web site has a lot of support articles.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo

"Tarkus" <tarkus@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:138771ts60ipbjtehjgejq0ff0ltpe3jg7@4ax.com...
> I'm running Win98se on a 40gb hard drive with about 5gb free. My plan
> is to add another 40gb hd, install Win XP and have a dual boot. How
> does that sound? Some literature I have talks about this but on one hd
> that has a second partition. I think it says that when you boot, XP
> will ask Win98 or xp. So will this idea work? Thanks.
May 1, 2005 1:16:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:18:54 -0400, Tarkus <tarkus@comcast.net> wrote:

>I'm running Win98se on a 40gb hard drive with about 5gb free. My plan
>is to add another 40gb hd, install Win XP and have a dual boot. How
>does that sound? Some literature I have talks about this but on one hd
>that has a second partition. I think it says that when you boot, XP
>will ask Win98 or xp. So will this idea work? Thanks.

Hi Tarkus:

I have dual boot (W 98SE and W XP).
Several MS MVP's held my hand throughout the process, mainly -as I recall it-
Gary Terhune and Patti McLeod.
While I wouldn't begin to tell you how to do it, I can ceratinly agree with the
advice from Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98 that "BootIt Next Generation" is an
exellent program to help you accomplis the job.

Good luck - there's expert help available here.

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
Related resources
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 1:49:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Tarkus <tarkus@comcast.net> wrote in
news:138771ts60ipbjtehjgejq0ff0ltpe3jg7@4ax.com:

> I'm running Win98se on a 40gb hard drive with about 5gb free. My plan
> is to add another 40gb hd, install Win XP and have a dual boot. How
> does that sound? Some literature I have talks about this but on one hd
> that has a second partition. I think it says that when you boot, XP
> will ask Win98 or xp. So will this idea work? Thanks.

I have two computers with that exact configuration. The installation was no
problem whatsoever. Just boot from the XP installation CD and follow the
instructions. It will detect both of your drives and give you the choice of
which one to install it on. You'll have the option of formatting the second
drive in FAT 32 or NTFS. If you want to be able to access the files on the
XP partition from within Windows 98, then pick FAT 32. When you're all
done, the computer will boot to a menu that lets you choose which OS to
run. I'n not sure where these guys are coming from with the BootIt NG
thing, but why use it if it's not necessary?
I guess I'm in for it now... taking on two "pros" whose experience and
knowledge far surpasses my own, and whose help from each has been
invaluable to me... :-)
<<<duck>>>

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:30:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message news:Xns9648F27E78D9Abutter@daisymae.com...
> Tarkus <tarkus@comcast.net> wrote in
> news:138771ts60ipbjtehjgejq0ff0ltpe3jg7@4ax.com:
>
>> I'm running Win98se on a 40gb hard drive with about 5gb free. My plan
>> is to add another 40gb hd, install Win XP and have a dual boot. How
>> does that sound? Some literature I have talks about this but on one hd
>> that has a second partition. I think it says that when you boot, XP
>> will ask Win98 or xp. So will this idea work? Thanks.
>
> I have two computers with that exact configuration. The installation was no
> problem whatsoever. Just boot from the XP installation CD and follow the
> instructions. It will detect both of your drives and give you the choice of
> which one to install it on. You'll have the option of formatting the second
> drive in FAT 32 or NTFS. If you want to be able to access the files on the
> XP partition from within Windows 98, then pick FAT 32. When you're all
> done, the computer will boot to a menu that lets you choose which OS to
> run. I'n not sure where these guys are coming from with the BootIt NG
> thing, but why use it if it's not necessary?

While there's nothing wrong with the method you used, there is a big difference
between setting up a multi-boot system with a boot manager (such as BING),
and setting up a multi-boot system with Microsoft's OS boot manager. One
major advantage of using BING (there are of course other good programs) is
that if you ever want to get rid of the 98, all you have to do is delete
the partition that it resides on. Not so if using the MS method. In that
case, XP is tied to the "boot host" (98), and in this particular case it
also happens to be another physical drive.

There are other advantages. Booting non-MS OSs. "On the fly" hiding/unhiding
of partitions. Multiple installs of the same OS version..
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:33:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in
news:o rjqeNnTFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

>
> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> news:Xns9648F27E78D9Abutter@daisymae.com...
>> Tarkus <tarkus@comcast.net> wrote in
>> news:138771ts60ipbjtehjgejq0ff0ltpe3jg7@4ax.com:
>>
>>> I'm running Win98se on a 40gb hard drive with about 5gb free. My
>>> plan is to add another 40gb hd, install Win XP and have a dual boot.
>>> How does that sound? Some literature I have talks about this but on
>>> one hd that has a second partition. I think it says that when you
>>> boot, XP will ask Win98 or xp. So will this idea work? Thanks.
>>
>> I have two computers with that exact configuration. The installation
>> was no problem whatsoever. Just boot from the XP installation CD and
>> follow the instructions. It will detect both of your drives and give
>> you the choice of which one to install it on. You'll have the option
>> of formatting the second drive in FAT 32 or NTFS. If you want to be
>> able to access the files on the XP partition from within Windows 98,
>> then pick FAT 32. When you're all done, the computer will boot to a
>> menu that lets you choose which OS to run. I'n not sure where these
>> guys are coming from with the BootIt NG thing, but why use it if it's
>> not necessary?
>
> While there's nothing wrong with the method you used, there is a big
> difference between setting up a multi-boot system with a boot manager
> (such as BING), and setting up a multi-boot system with Microsoft's OS
> boot manager. One major advantage of using BING (there are of course
> other good programs) is that if you ever want to get rid of the 98,
> all you have to do is delete the partition that it resides on. Not so
> if using the MS method. In that case, XP is tied to the "boot host"
> (98), and in this particular case it also happens to be another
> physical drive.
>
> There are other advantages. Booting non-MS OSs. "On the fly"
> hiding/unhiding of partitions. Multiple installs of the same OS
> version..

Does that mean if you used one of the boot managers, that both
operating systems would actually be "C" drive? If so, and you were
running XP on the second drive, what drive letter would the first drive
become? I am no where near getting rid of Windows 98, but I have thought
about "what if" I did. I guess I'd have to leave the pertinent stuff in
the root directory and use the rest of the drive for data only. Thanks
for pointing out what the advantages would be.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:30:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message news:Xns96499E46E5665butter@daisymae.com...
> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in
> news:o rjqeNnTFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
>
>>
>> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9648F27E78D9Abutter@daisymae.com...

>>> I have two computers with that exact configuration. The installation
>>> was no problem whatsoever. Just boot from the XP installation CD and
>>> follow the instructions.

>> While there's nothing wrong with the method you used, there is a big
>> difference between setting up a multi-boot system with a boot manager
>> (such as BING), and setting up a multi-boot system with Microsoft's OS
>> boot manager. One major advantage of using BING (there are of course
>> other good programs) is that if you ever want to get rid of the 98,
>> all you have to do is delete the partition that it resides on. Not so
>> if using the MS method. In that case, XP is tied to the "boot host"
>> (98), and in this particular case it also happens to be another
>> physical drive.

> Does that mean if you used one of the boot managers, that both
> operating systems would actually be "C" drive? If so, and you were
> running XP on the second drive, what drive letter would the first drive
> become? I am no where near getting rid of Windows 98, but I have thought
> about "what if" I did. I guess I'd have to leave the pertinent stuff in
> the root directory and use the rest of the drive for data only. Thanks
> for pointing out what the advantages would be.

What Jeff said. Just to add, there is a way to remove 98 in this
configuration, it's just not as cut and dried as when using a third
party boot manager.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:31:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

> I have two computers with that exact configuration. The installation was
no
> problem whatsoever. Just boot from the XP installation CD and follow the
> instructions. It will detect both of your drives and give you the choice
of
> which one to install it on. You'll have the option of formatting the
second
> drive in FAT 32 or NTFS. If you want to be able to access the files on the
> XP partition from within Windows 98, then pick FAT 32. When you're all
> done, the computer will boot to a menu that lets you choose which OS to
> run. I'n not sure where these guys are coming from with the BootIt NG
> thing, but why use it if it's not necessary?
> I guess I'm in for it now... taking on two "pros" whose experience and
> knowledge far surpasses my own, and whose help from each has been
> invaluable to me... :-)
> <<<duck>>>
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

I agree; why pay for un-necessaries.
ronalds advice is just one of many sigs', not like it was newly typed
advice.
(sounds like an advert, maybe he has shares in boot-it?)
j
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:31:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

When one answers thousands of posts per year, it is necessary to use some
"boilerplate" responses or pieces. If we had to type info about a particular issue
or program that we reply with hundreds of times, we would all have to quit our jobs
just to do this free support work, because it would take all day to do that over and
over.
Ron has no "shares" in Boot-It....they don't even have "shares". Ron is posting to
help the original poster. What are *you* doing?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
news:u3MKS6lTFHA.3216@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I agree; why pay for un-necessaries.
> ronalds advice is just one of many sigs', not like it was newly typed
> advice.
> (sounds like an advert, maybe he has shares in boot-it?)
> j
>
>
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:33:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

hi John.
(your nightmare)

"John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
news:c7b871h7phphhbqe3p63jifat7u0pirfe3@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:18:54 -0400, Tarkus <tarkus@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >I'm running Win98se on a 40gb hard drive with about 5gb free. My plan
> >is to add another 40gb hd, install Win XP and have a dual boot. How
> >does that sound? Some literature I have talks about this but on one hd
> >that has a second partition. I think it says that when you boot, XP
> >will ask Win98 or xp. So will this idea work? Thanks.
>
> Hi Tarkus:
>
> I have dual boot (W 98SE and W XP).
> Several MS MVP's held my hand throughout the process, mainly -as I recall
it-
> Gary Terhune and Patti McLeod.
> While I wouldn't begin to tell you how to do it, I can ceratinly agree
with the
> advice from Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98 that "BootIt Next Generation" is
an
> exellent program to help you accomplis the job.
>
> Good luck - there's expert help available here.
>
> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:57:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Windows will letter the drive that the system boots from as the "C" by
default. Other drives get assigned letters through processes that depend on
the operating system. XP allows much more control over driver letter
assigning than W98 does.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
news:Xns96499E46E5665butter@daisymae.com...
> snip <
>
> Does that mean if you used one of the boot managers, that both
> operating systems would actually be "C" drive? If so, and you were
> running XP on the second drive, what drive letter would the first drive
> become? I am no where near getting rid of Windows 98, but I have thought
> about "what if" I did. I guess I'd have to leave the pertinent stuff in
> the root directory and use the rest of the drive for data only. Thanks
> for pointing out what the advantages would be.
!