Sign in with
Your question

Physical Damage Repairable? A7V333

Last response: in Motherboards
April 26, 2006 5:19:34 PM

Hello,

A little while ago, I had a A7V333 board, which unfortunately had recieved the blunt end of a screwdriver when attempting to remove the impossibly hard-to-remove AMD heatsink from the CPU encasing.

Now, it appears that a small rectangular block there recieved a little damage. The computer still ran fine, however, under extreme stress, the computer would reboot (considering the system was incredibly stable before this, and nothing else had changed, it must have been this--not the PSU or Memory, etc.). This went on until I could take it no longer and upgraded. Since then, the A7V333 has been collecting dust in my closet.

What I would like to know is if and how the board could be fixed. Such a small component, it must be inexpensive to fix? The little rectangular block is about 2mmx1mm right under the middle outlet that the heatsink latches onto.

While I have small soldering ability, etc. I really have no idea what's going on when it comes to actual hardware components, etc. Or where to get something like this, or what it is and what it does.

Just wondering if anyone here with more knowledge than I could help or point me in the right direction!

Thanks!
April 26, 2006 5:46:20 PM

I laughed when I read this. I destroyed my last motherboard the same way, trying to force that little metal clip on the AMD HSF into the metal loop coming off the motherboard............and my hand slipped. That, unfortunately, was the end of my $150 motherboard, and I had to settle for a refurb of the same type.

At this point, the board is probably functional, with problems. If you can solder and find an exact replacement, it might work, otherwise, you are going to need to replace the board to regain your stability. Just swap it with an identical one and things should boot right up without a problem.
!