IExplr on Startup

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 30, 2005 1:10:47 PM

Howdy folks;

This is really a follow up on my Q: "Home Page on Startup", 4/25/05.

I probably should understand this by now, but I don't.

"It seems" to me, the last thing loading during Startup is I/E. My unit was
set up that way when I got it; so why it is that way, or should it be that
way, are other issues.

Only lately has this been a problem; but, for about a month and a half,
maybe 2, it has been taking 5-7 minutes longer to restart; which 5-7
minutes is after everything is loaded, except I/E. The HD just grinds and
winds away, I/E "about blank" eventually appears for a few seconds, then
slowwwwwly unrolls off the page, winks out, and then, and only then I can
start playing.

So I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Will something untowards happen if I Delete:
"C:\\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", entirely? In other
words, will I still be able to invoke I/E from where I now have it in my
Quick Launch?

2. Why has this become a problem only lately?

If one of you "Longheads" has answers, please bear in mind that I am an
idiot. I've never gone for certification; so far I've been able to rely on
just testimonials.

rooster

More about : iexplr startup

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:56:50 PM

Have a go thru:
"Clean Boot -- What it is and why you need it" by MS MVP Gary Terhune
http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> Howdy folks;
>
> This is really a follow up on my Q: "Home Page on Startup", 4/25/05.
>
> I probably should understand this by now, but I don't.
>
> "It seems" to me, the last thing loading during Startup is I/E. My unit was
> set up that way when I got it; so why it is that way, or should it be that
> way, are other issues.
>
> Only lately has this been a problem; but, for about a month and a half,
> maybe 2, it has been taking 5-7 minutes longer to restart; which 5-7
> minutes is after everything is loaded, except I/E. The HD just grinds and
> winds away, I/E "about blank" eventually appears for a few seconds, then
> slowwwwwly unrolls off the page, winks out, and then, and only then I can
> start playing.
>
> So I guess I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. Will something untowards happen if I Delete:
> "C:\\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", entirely? In other
> words, will I still be able to invoke I/E from where I now have it in my
> Quick Launch?
>
> 2. Why has this become a problem only lately?
>
> If one of you "Longheads" has answers, please bear in mind that I am an
> idiot. I've never gone for certification; so far I've been able to rely on
> just testimonials.
>
> rooster

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 8:41:29 PM

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> snip
> 1. Will something untowards happen if I Delete:
> "C:\\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", entirely? In other
> words, will I still be able to invoke I/E from where I now have it in my
> Quick Launch?

iexplore.exe is the executable program, the .exe file. What you have in Quick
Launch is just a shortcut to iexplore.exe which is the actual program, in the
Program Files\Internet Explorer folder. Do NOT delete the iexplore.exe file, nor
any of the files in its folder tree.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Brian;

I do the Clean Boot " à la Terhune", routinely every couple of weeks weeks.
I did one yesterday.

Glen;

"Do NOT delete the iexplore.exe file, nor
any of the files in its folder tree."

That's what I thought. But it leaves me with the nagging question: why the
5 - 7 minute grind & wind at the end of restart while IE loads?

rooster
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 8:41:31 PM

Why do you have IE in the startup queue in the first place? If you get
rid of that, then wait for Startup to finish:

1. Does startup complete quickly, or does it still delay?

2. Assuming the delay in startup is gone, can you then launch IE after
startup has completed (the disk activity light is your friend, here) and
have it come up quickly?

My *guess* is that timing issues are involved, and having IE launch
during startup is short-circuiting some other item--a "Pardon me, go
ahead." "No, you go first..." kinda thing that might jam up two overly
solicitous gentlemen at the door to a club.

Regardless, MSCONFIG is the tool to use when figuring out startup
issues. Does startup progress normally with every thing disabled? If so,
then add things back into the mix, one by one, until you find the one
culprit of combination of conditions that brings the system to its
knees. Once you gather that basic information, a more rational analysis
of the underlying causes can be achieved. Thus far, you've only
described the situation in broad stokes, with little meaningful detail.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Brian;
>
> I do the Clean Boot " à la Terhune", routinely every couple of weeks
weeks.
> I did one yesterday.
>

> Glen;
>
> "Do NOT delete the iexplore.exe file, nor
> any of the files in its folder tree."
>
> That's what I thought. But it leaves me with the nagging question: why
the
> 5 - 7 minute grind & wind at the end of restart while IE loads?
>
> rooster

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 11:35:41 PM

If you truly know that about:blank is legit, then no problem, otherwise it is a
variant of CoolWebSearch.
If you haven't installed any apps as of late or don't use a heavy loader such as
NIS/NAV, you may want to get a HijackThis log over to one of the spyware forums
for scrutiny.

Without having to go into the registry you could check all of your run keys with
this standalone executable:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/strun.html

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> Howdy folks;
>
> This is really a follow up on my Q: "Home Page on Startup", 4/25/05.
>
> I probably should understand this by now, but I don't.
>
> "It seems" to me, the last thing loading during Startup is I/E. My unit was
> set up that way when I got it; so why it is that way, or should it be that
> way, are other issues.
>
> Only lately has this been a problem; but, for about a month and a half,
> maybe 2, it has been taking 5-7 minutes longer to restart; which 5-7
> minutes is after everything is loaded, except I/E. The HD just grinds and
> winds away, I/E "about blank" eventually appears for a few seconds, then
> slowwwwwly unrolls off the page, winks out, and then, and only then I can
> start playing.
>
> So I guess I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. Will something untowards happen if I Delete:
> "C:\\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", entirely? In other
> words, will I still be able to invoke I/E from where I now have it in my
> Quick Launch?
>
> 2. Why has this become a problem only lately?
>
> If one of you "Longheads" has answers, please bear in mind that I am an
> idiot. I've never gone for certification; so far I've been able to rely on
> just testimonials.
>
> rooster

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:06:37 AM

I agree with the method Gary Terhune has recommended....but before you start that,
and with everything in the Startup tab of msconfig ENabled, do this:

Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
"Software Environment" category.
In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
on the right.
Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
right.
Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> Brian;
>
> I do the Clean Boot " à la Terhune", routinely every couple of weeks weeks.
> I did one yesterday.
>

> Glen;
>
> "Do NOT delete the iexplore.exe file, nor
> any of the files in its folder tree."
>
> That's what I thought. But it leaves me with the nagging question: why the
> 5 - 7 minute grind & wind at the end of restart while IE loads?
>
> rooster

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 8:35:45 AM

Glen:
As y'all can see " if you get rid of that ", which Gary asked of me,
requires an object which references IE that I can identify; which means the
instrucion isn't as straightforward as his Rx makes it appear; to an idiot.

Drwatson Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\DRWATSON.EXE
Launch K9 Startup Group "C:\Program Files\KeirNet\K9\K9.exe"
Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL
deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
AVG7_EMC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
WinPatrol Registry (Machine Run)
"C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe"
LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
PCDRealtime Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\realtime.exe
CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
PersFw Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal
Firewall\persfw.exe" /hide
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
KB891711 Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

[...]
May 1, 2005 2:31:15 PM

OK, so you *don't* have IE in the startup queue, which almost certainly
means that you have some CoolWeb nasty in residence.

See the article in my sig on "Security". Run them anti-spyware scans,
*all* of them. Then restart in Safe Mode and do it again. Then run them
in Normal Mode. Keep running them until they show consistently negative
results across the board. Then run them once a day. After a week of
consistently negative results, run them once a week. And don't leave out
*any* of them, including Geyde's HOSTS Manager and SpywareBlaster.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Glen:
> As y'all can see " if you get rid of that ", which Gary asked of
me,
> requires an object which references IE that I can identify; which
means the
> instrucion isn't as straightforward as his Rx makes it appear; to an
idiot.

> Drwatson Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\DRWATSON.EXE
> Launch K9 Startup Group "C:\Program Files\KeirNet\K9\K9.exe"
> Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL
> deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
> AVG7_EMC Registry (Machine Run)
C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
> TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
> SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
> WinPatrol Registry (Machine Run)
> "C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe"
> LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
> ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
> PCDRealtime Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\realtime.exe
> CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run)
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
> PersFw Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal
> Firewall\persfw.exe" /hide
> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
> SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
> KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

> Drwatson Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\DRWATSON.EXE
> Launch K9 Startup Group "C:\Program Files\KeirNet\K9\K9.exe"
> Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL
> deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
> AVG7_EMC Registry (Machine Run)
C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
> TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
> SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
> WinPatrol Registry (Machine Run)
> "C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe"
> LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
> ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
> PCDRealtime Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\realtime.exe
> CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run)
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
> PersFw Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal
> Firewall\persfw.exe" /hide
> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
> SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
> KB891711 Registry (Machine Service)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:20:04 PM

Hi again Gary;

What a way to waste a gorgeous Sunday. Nuts!

Upon perusing your suggestions and links:

*** I don't have an Hosts File
*** Burgess references W2000. I am running W98/ OEM
***AdAware & Spybot: been deploying pretty much daily for last 10 days;
weekly before that. I also run emsisoft's "a squared" often.
*** Spyware Blaster and CWShredder deployed.
*** AVG also is deployed.
*** Winpatrol is also running... to date, it seems it has always alerted me
of anything 'programatic' trying to install.

All the above give clean results.

Does your Rx boil down to having to run them a couple of times each in
Safe Mode? I've pretty much already been doing what you suggest... unless I
am overlooking something. Other than subbing an HijackThis Log over on SWI,
I don't see there is much more that I can do.

I have to ask: is there *any* chance the KB891711 has something to do
with it? It is the onliest thing that has changed in my msconfig startup
list which wasn't there before the problem came to my attention.

Nevertheless; I am in complete agreement with you that the bh of startup
is pretty much a dead giveaway of a browser hijack. Its just that I brush
ol'Paint's teeth so reg'ler, with all the latest equine dentifrices, I was
sort'a doubtful, (wishful).

rooster
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:25:33 PM

Glen;

We're gonna have to name it something new,... just to alleviate the tedium
of seeing it over and over; I'll start the canvass with: "Welly Wash".

I'll take another run at it, although the Spring sunshine and a lawn and
garden in desperate need of tending might take me away. I just noticed
something I don't understand in the SWBlaster program: there are 4 entries
under "Internet Explorer Browser Pages":

1. about blank
2. http://www.google.com
3. (same as 2)
4. about blank

There is a clickable at the bottom of this section which says; "Change"
which takes it to another window which has a blank line with a flashing
cursor bar. Nothing I type, click or Delete on this page actually changes
anything.

Ta, (probably until after dinner)

rooster
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 7:09:49 PM

There is nothing that is obviously calling it at startup. Have a look in the
Win.ini file for anything in the load= and run= lines (Start> Run> msconfig> Win.ini
tab> expand the Windows heading at top). Anything there? Then switch to the
System.ini tab, and expand the [boot] section. In the shell= line, it should only
say explorer.exe. Does it?

Try a clean boot (basically, disabling everything in the Stsrtup tab of msconfig,
click OK and reboot) and see if it happens then. If not, re-enable a few items at a
time and see if it returns.....if so, it is one of those re-enabled items, and you
can narrow it down.

If a clean boot does not get rid of the startup browser window, then you need to
look at spyware as Gary suggests.

How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=192926

"CLEAN BOOT -- What it is and why you need it." by MS MVP Gary Terhune (oh no, him
again!;))
http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> Glen:
> As y'all can see " if you get rid of that ", which Gary asked of me,
> requires an object which references IE that I can identify; which means the
> instrucion isn't as straightforward as his Rx makes it appear; to an idiot.
>

> Drwatson Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\DRWATSON.EXE
> Launch K9 Startup Group "C:\Program Files\KeirNet\K9\K9.exe"
> Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL
> deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
> AVG7_EMC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
> TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
> SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
> WinPatrol Registry (Machine Run)
> "C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe"
> LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
> ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
> PCDRealtime Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\realtime.exe
> CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run)
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
> PersFw Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal
> Firewall\persfw.exe" /hide
> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
> SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
> KB891711 Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
>

> Drwatson Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\DRWATSON.EXE
> Launch K9 Startup Group "C:\Program Files\KeirNet\K9\K9.exe"
> Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL
> deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
> AVG7_EMC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
> TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
> SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
> WinPatrol Registry (Machine Run)
> "C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe"
> LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
> ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
> PCDRealtime Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\realtime.exe
> CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run)
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
> PersFw Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal
> Firewall\persfw.exe" /hide
> LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
> powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
> SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
> KB891711 Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 7:47:47 PM

> I have to ask: is there *any* chance the KB891711 has something to do
> with it? It is the onliest thing that has changed in my msconfig startup
> list which wasn't there before the problem came to my attention.

If it doesn't show in Program Manager ( ctrl+alt+del ) it shouldn't be a factor.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 8:03:59 PM

#2 & 3 I believe is what the home page is set for.
AFAIK, as mentioned earlier, about:blank may very well be the CoolWebShredder
variant.

There should be a path included with 1 & 4. Did you omit it? As well on both my
XP and 98SE they show as:

98SE C:Windows\System\blank.htm
XP C:\Windows\System32\blank.htm

> There is a clickable at the bottom of this section which says; "Change"
> which takes it to another window which has a blank line with a flashing
> cursor bar. Nothing I type, click or Delete on this page actually changes
> anything.

Do you have one of the entries hilit before selecting change? Also, I wouldn't
mess with it from there unless you know the consequences, which I surely don't.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 8:14:20 PM

Brian;

Home page is at iexplor.exe ~ no home. I deselected google as my HP 2 weeks
ago per: "Home Page on Startup", 4/25/05." when I first started to tackle
this problem.

"There should be a path included with 1 & 4. Did you omit it?"

...... not that I see.

about:blank
http://www.google.com
http://www.google.com
aboutblank
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd={SUB_PRD}&clcid={SUB_CLSID}&pver={SUB_PVER}&ar=home
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iese...
http://home.microsoft.com/search/search.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&...
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iese...
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchasst.htm
http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchcust.htm

Do you have one of the entries hilit?

...... Yes. The "Tools" page, click "Change" => "Edit Browser Page Item"
window. The window behaves as thought it is there to change something, but
it doesn't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glen:

Win.ini file for anything in the load= and run= lines (Start> Run> msconfig>
Win.ini
tab> expand the Windows heading at top). Anything there?

......(all below are checked)
the [windows] file is listed under the Win.ini Tab:
load=
run=
NullPort=none

shell=explorer.exe
......Yup

it is one of those re-enabled items, and you
can narrow it down.

...... Yup again; it IS the KB891711.

I did a restart with my original config; About Blank reloaded/unloaded
itself again.

I repeated with K9 and Critical Update decommissioned. About Blank returned
on cue.

Then I unchecked KB891711 and restarted: bingo; no About Blank. Back to
normal.

I reinstated my usual flagstaff without KB and success again.

Go Figger!

Ebullient thanks are in order to y'all; I gott'a go so please add the usual
gratuity to your bill and pour one for yourselves.

rooster

p.s.
What about: "escadrille drill" ... no? Yeah; cheezy

rooster
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:13:59 PM

Glad to hear it's worked out.

It's now best to uninstall KB891711 via Add/Remove and visit MS Updates to
install/reinstall the newer version.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:14:00 PM

Be sure to re-enable KB891711 (without restarting) before
uninstalling/reinstalling/overinstalling. Just so any possible
contingencies are covered.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> Glad to hear it's worked out.
>
> It's now best to uninstall KB891711 via Add/Remove and visit MS
Updates to
> install/reinstall the newer version.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:46:25 PM

Ah, yes. Nice catch on my slip.

--

> Be sure to re-enable KB891711 (without restarting) before
> uninstalling/reinstalling/overinstalling. Just so any possible
> contingencies are covered.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> Glad to hear it's worked out.
>>
>> It's now best to uninstall KB891711 via Add/Remove and visit MS
> Updates to
>> install/reinstall the newer version.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:09:29 AM

Hi Lads;

I have/had the latest KB891711. (Ap 25) Evidently it is the 'fixed' v. that
preserved the problem under discussion.

I had been chasing down another problem "Defrag Defunct" earlier this month
for which we eventually eliminated it (the original v.) as the cause. The IE
on restart problem was more or less concurrent with the Defrag Problem.

Regards,

rooster
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:14:17 AM

I never played with those settings in SpywareBlaster myself....never had a reason
to. Select each item in the list, then click the "More Info on Item" button to see
what it refers to. Dunno why you can't change them, but I would not use that
interface for that type of change anyway.

The first one is your current Home Page
The second is the Current User Search page
The third is the Current User Search Bar
The fourth is the Current User Local page....the page the browser uses as the blank
page.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> Glen;
>
> We're gonna have to name it something new,... just to alleviate the tedium
> of seeing it over and over; I'll start the canvass with: "Welly Wash".
>
> I'll take another run at it, although the Spring sunshine and a lawn and
> garden in desperate need of tending might take me away. I just noticed
> something I don't understand in the SWBlaster program: there are 4 entries
> under "Internet Explorer Browser Pages":
>
> 1. about blank
> 2. http://www.google.com
> 3. (same as 2)
> 4. about blank
>
> There is a clickable at the bottom of this section which says; "Change"
> which takes it to another window which has a blank line with a flashing
> cursor bar. Nothing I type, click or Delete on this page actually changes
> anything.
>
> Ta, (probably until after dinner)
>
> rooster

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:25:11 AM

Alright....finally getting back here kind of late at night. Glad you were able to
find the cause using the Welly Wash, rooster.
--

!