can't find a device file

Perhaps i unintalled some progarm long time ago, since then whenever I start
the computer I get following message.
can't find a device file GFXVFW.vxd that may be needed to run windows or a
windows application. the windows registry or system.INI file refers to this
device file but device file no longer exists. If u deleted this file on
purpose try ininstalling the associated application usning its uninstall or
setup program
press any key to continue

after that I have to press 'enter' key many times to boot the computer, how
can I get rid of this message. thanks a lot for any help
2 answers Last reply
More about find device file

    On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:59:36 -0700, noname
    <noname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Perhaps i unintalled some progarm long time ago, since then whenever I start
    >the computer I get following message.
    >can't find a device file GFXVFW.vxd that may be needed to run windows or a
    >windows application. the windows registry or system.INI file refers to this
    >device file but device file no longer exists. If u deleted this file on
    >purpose try ininstalling the associated application usning its uninstall or
    >setup program
    >press any key to continue
    >
    >after that I have to press 'enter' key many times to boot the computer, how
    >can I get rid of this message. thanks a lot for any help

    A program that was deleted probably used that file and a remnant is
    still calling for it.
    In addition to the registry as Alan suggested try this:
    Start > Run and enter Sysedit. Select the System.ini file. Scroll
    down to the [386Enh] section and look for the GFXVFW.vxd file. If
    it's there put a semi-colon in front of the line to disable it.
    Save and exit.

    Reboot

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    Use Regedit.exe and remove any reference to GFXVFW.vxd
    Start-Run-Regedit.
    Navigate down to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD
    Expand VXD, find GFXVFW and delete if there.
    Restart the computer when finished.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, noname
    <noname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Perhaps i unintalled some progarm long time ago, since then whenever I start
    >the computer I get following message.
    >can't find a device file GFXVFW.vxd that may be needed to run windows or a
    >windows application. the windows registry or system.INI file refers to this
    >device file but device file no longer exists. If u deleted this file on
    >purpose try ininstalling the associated application usning its uninstall or
    >setup program
    >press any key to continue
    >
    >after that I have to press 'enter' key many times to boot the computer, how
    >can I get rid of this message. thanks a lot for any help

Computers Microsoft Devices Windows