Repeating update of KB837009

This is from my review of updates

Successful Wednesday, April 27, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
Successful Monday, April 25, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
Successful Saturday, April 23, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
Successful Thursday, April 21, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
Successful Sunday, April 17, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site

As your can see I have installed the security update 5 times and still get
notices to re-install. should there not be a different number for each
update. Or should I continue to install?

837009 will not install successfully if 823353 is installed, because 823353 is
considered a newer update. 823353 is no longer available for Win98/98SE/ME, but was
for a short time, so some people have it installed.

If you have the 823353 update listed in Add\Remove Programs, uninstall it; then
also uninstall 837009 update if it is listed. After that, go to Windows Update and
install what critical updates it says you need....it should say you need 837009.
After it installs, go back to Windows Update and see if it finds anything else.

You will not be offered 823353 again, and should not be offered 837009 after that.
The question is, *why* do you want to install 837009 in the first place? It fixes
only a few specific issues, and none of them by default. You must manually edit the
Registry after installing 837009 to enable the specific fixes, per this KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837009

If you do not have any of the issues mentioned and already have 823353 installed,
there may be no advantage to making the change.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"RSpainhour" <coastalnet.com> wrote in message
> This is from my review of updates
>
> Successful Wednesday, April 27, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> Successful Monday, April 25, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> Successful Saturday, April 23, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> Successful Thursday, April 21, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> Successful Sunday, April 17, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
>
> As your can see I have installed the security update 5 times and still get
> notices to re-install. should there not be a different number for each
> update. Or should I continue to install?

I believe your instructions will solve the problem, but...

(a) Q330994
(b) Q837009
(c) Q823353 (This is 3rd, but no longer offered at Windows Update.)
(d) Q887797 (Not at Windows Update, not for everyone.)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)

Q887797 is the optional one that requires rigmarole to activate-- not
Q837009. (I never took Q887797). Also, right, Q823353 is no longer
there.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| 837009 will not install successfully if 823353 is installed, because
823353 is
| considered a newer update. 823353 is no longer available for
Win98/98SE/ME, but was
| for a short time, so some people have it installed.
|
| If you have the 823353 update listed in Add\Remove Programs, uninstall
it; then
| also uninstall 837009 update if it is listed. After that, go to
Windows Update and
| install what critical updates it says you need....it should say you
need 837009.
| After it installs, go back to Windows Update and see if it finds
anything else.

| You will not be offered 823353 again, and should not be offered 837009
after that.
| The question is, *why* do you want to install 837009 in the first
place? It fixes
| only a few specific issues, and none of them by default. You must
manually edit the
| Registry after installing 837009 to enable the specific fixes, per
this KB article:
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837009
|
| If you do not have any of the issues mentioned and already have 823353
installed,
| there may be no advantage to making the change.
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
|

| "RSpainhour" <coastalnet.com> wrote in message
| > This is from my review of updates
| >
| > Successful Wednesday, April 27, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
Outlook
| > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
| > Successful Monday, April 25, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
Outlook
| > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
| > Successful Saturday, April 23, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
Outlook
| > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
| > Successful Thursday, April 21, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
Outlook
| > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
| > Successful Sunday, April 17, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
Outlook
| > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
| >
| > As your can see I have installed the security update 5 times and
still get
| > notices to re-install. should there not be a different number for
each
| > update. Or should I continue to install?

Oh cr*p! Thanks PCR, you are correct. After 1 a.m. I'm afraid I get those KB
article numbers confused when I go by memory. Sheesh!
--

> [...]
> | > Successful Monday, April 25, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
> Outlook
> | > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> | > Successful Saturday, April 23, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
> Outlook
> | > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> | > Successful Thursday, April 21, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
> Outlook
> | > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> | > Successful Sunday, April 17, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
> Outlook
> | > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> | >
> | > As your can see I have installed the security update 5 times and
> still get
> | > notices to re-install. should there not be a different number for
> each
> | > update. Or should I continue to install?

Please note I was referring to the wrong update in my reply, as far as which one
requires registry editing to enable the fixes. It is 887797 that has the fixes
which must be added by registry edit, not 837009.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> 837009 will not install successfully if 823353 is installed, because 823353 is
> considered a newer update. 823353 is no longer available for Win98/98SE/ME, but
was
> for a short time, so some people have it installed.
>
> If you have the 823353 update listed in Add\Remove Programs, uninstall it; then
> also uninstall 837009 update if it is listed. After that, go to Windows Update
and
> install what critical updates it says you need....it should say you need 837009.
> After it installs, go back to Windows Update and see if it finds anything else.
>
> You will not be offered 823353 again, and should not be offered 837009 after that.
> The question is, *why* do you want to install 837009 in the first place? It fixes
> only a few specific issues, and none of them by default. You must manually edit
the
> Registry after installing 837009 to enable the specific fixes, per this KB
article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837009
>
> If you do not have any of the issues mentioned and already have 823353 installed,
> there may be no advantage to making the change.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "RSpainhour" <coastalnet.com> wrote in message
> > This is from my review of updates
> >
> > Successful Wednesday, April 27, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> > Successful Monday, April 25, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> > Successful Saturday, April 23, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> > Successful Thursday, April 21, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> > Successful Sunday, April 17, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> >
> > As your can see I have installed the security update 5 times and still get
> > notices to re-install. should there not be a different number for each
> > update. Or should I continue to install?

P.S.: Now I feel like Emily Litella from SNL: "Nevermind!"

....glen

> [...]
> | > Successful Monday, April 25, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
> Outlook
> | > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> | > Successful Saturday, April 23, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
> Outlook
> | > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> | > Successful Thursday, April 21, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
> Outlook
> | > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> | > Successful Sunday, April 17, 2005 Cumulative Security Update for
> Outlook
> | > Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009) Web site
> | >
> | > As your can see I have installed the security update 5 times and
> still get
> | > notices to re-install. should there not be a different number for
> each
> | > update. Or should I continue to install?

Ah, ha, ha. OK, I had to go look it up, myself. Anyway, uninstalling
whatever prior one he has in Add/Remove Programs before going back to
Windows Update likely is the fix.

--

| Oh cr*p! Thanks PCR, you are correct. After 1 a.m. I'm afraid I get
those KB
| article numbers confused when I go by memory. Sheesh!
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx

| > I believe your instructions will solve the problem, but...
| >
| > (a) Q330994
| > (b) Q837009
| > (c) Q823353 (This is 3rd, but no longer offered at Windows Update.)
| > (d) Q887797 (Not at Windows Update, not for everyone.)
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
| > Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
| >
| > Q887797 is the optional one that requires rigmarole to activate--
not
| > Q837009. (I never took Q887797). Also, right, Q823353 is no longer
| > there.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > | 837009 will not install successfully if 823353 is installed,
because
| > 823353 is
| > | considered a newer update. 823353 is no longer available for
| > Win98/98SE/ME, but was
| > | for a short time, so some people have it installed.
| > |
| > | If you have the 823353 update listed in Add\Remove Programs,
uninstall
| > it; then
| > | also uninstall 837009 update if it is listed. After that, go to
| > Windows Update and
| > | install what critical updates it says you need....it should say
you
| > need 837009.
| > | After it installs, go back to Windows Update and see if it finds
| > anything else.
| > |
| > | You will not be offered 823353 again, and should not be offered
837009
| > after that.
| > | The question is, *why* do you want to install 837009 in the first
| > place? It fixes
| > | only a few specific issues, and none of them by default. You must
| > manually edit the
| > | Registry after installing 837009 to enable the specific fixes, per
| > this KB article:
| > | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837009
| > |
| > | If you do not have any of the issues mentioned and already have
823353
| > installed,
| > | there may be no advantage to making the change.
| > | --
| > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > | http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
| > |
| > |
| > | "RSpainhour" <coastalnet.com> wrote in message

| > Outlook
| > Outlook
| > Outlook
| > Outlook
| > Outlook

| > still get
| > each
| > |

I'm just impressed that you CAN quote a KB# by memory. I don't even
want to know how PCR does it.. ;-)

"glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message news:O59PHClTFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Oh cr*p! Thanks PCR, you are correct. After 1 a.m. I'm afraid I get those KB
> article numbers confused when I go by memory. Sheesh!

> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
>> I believe your instructions will solve the problem, but...
>>
>> (a) Q330994
>> (b) Q837009
>> (c) Q823353 (This is 3rd, but no longer offered at Windows Update.)
>> (d) Q887797 (Not at Windows Update, not for everyone.)
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
>> Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
>>
>> Q887797 is the optional one that requires rigmarole to activate-- not
>> Q837009. (I never took Q887797). Also, right, Q823353 is no longer
>> there.

I'm sure he has a Master Post on doing so.
--
~PAÞ

Bill Blanton wrote:
> I'm just impressed that you CAN quote a KB# by memory. I don't even
> want to know how PCR does it.. ;-)

Your title for Q887797 should be:
Description of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP
--
mae

| Ah, ha, ha. OK, I had to go look it up, myself. Anyway, uninstalling
| whatever prior one he has in Add/Remove Programs before going back to
| Windows Update likely is the fix.
|
| "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
|| |
| "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| | > I believe your instructions will solve the problem, but...
| | >
| | > (a) Q330994
| | > (b) Q837009
| | > (c) Q823353 (This is 3rd, but no longer offered at Windows Update.)
| | > (d) Q887797 (Not at Windows Update, not for everyone.)
| | >
| | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
| | > Cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797)
| | >
| | > Q887797 is the optional one that requires rigmarole to activate--
| not
| | > Q837009. (I never took Q887797). Also, right, Q823353 is no longer
| | > there.

|| | > |
> [...]

Why, Mae? That isn't its title...

Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797):
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887797

<QP>

APPLIES TO
.. Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
.. Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5
.. Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 Service Pack 2

</QP>

You gotta WinXP running OE5.5 or OE5.5 SP2? <eg>
--
~PA Bear

mae wrote:
> Your title for Q887797 should be:
> Description of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP

It is as Bear said...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887797
Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797).

However, it is a rigmarole I chose not to take, not knowing that I have
any of the problems of which it speaks.

--
"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
| Your title for Q887797 should be:
| Description of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows
XP
| --
| mae

| | Ah, ha, ha. OK, I had to go look it up, myself. Anyway, uninstalling
| | whatever prior one he has in Add/Remove Programs before going back
| | Windows Update likely is the fix.
| |
| | "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| || |
| | "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| ||
| | | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

Update.)

| | not

| || | > |
> [...]

I have a Master Post that hypnotized me into memorizing that one.

--
| I'm sure he has a Master Post on doing so.
| --
| ~PAÞ
|
| Bill Blanton wrote:
| > I'm just impressed that you CAN quote a KB# by memory. I don't even
| > want to know how PCR does it.. ;-)

I believe the title mae refers to is on the actual download page, if you go to the
download page rather than get it through WU.
--

> Why, Mae? That isn't its title...
>
> Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797):
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887797
>
> <QP>
>
> APPLIES TO
> . Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
> . Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5
> . Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 Service Pack 2
>
> </QP>
>
> You gotta WinXP running OE5.5 or OE5.5 SP2? <eg>
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> mae wrote:
> > Your title for Q887797 should be:
> > Description of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP

I can't help they change it with each revision.
This was last one I had read:
Description of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP
(KB887797): Revision: 5.0 : Last Review 01/20/05

It now is:
Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express
Revision : 7.1 Last Review : March 31, 2005

I had this originally:
12-16-04 Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB887797)
Download size: 1.1 MB, 2 minutes

I don't know why they list those as applies to, as the summary only mentions
To resolve these problems, first install the Cumulative Update for Outlook
Express for Windows XP (KB887797) Doesn't mention any other.
Maybe because of the requirement :
Before this update is made available to you on the Windows Update Web site,
you must install cumulative security update 823353 since it applies to those
versions of OE.

It is too confusing the way it is written, but not concerned as I
use web based mail - only OE for some archiving and newsgroups.
I had 2 hand-me-downs with XP - not using yet.
I will futz with one (a Dell) for IE7 and better media this summer.
--
mae

| Why, Mae? That isn't its title...
|
| Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797):
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887797
|
| <QP>
|
| APPLIES TO
| . Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
| . Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5
| . Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 Service Pack 2
|
| </QP>
|
| You gotta WinXP running OE5.5 or OE5.5 SP2? <eg>
| --
| ~PA Bear
|
| mae wrote:
| > Your title for Q887797 should be:
| > Description of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP

<VBEG> It /was/ for WinXP SP2 when it was first released. Some
Ornery-MVPs-You-Know questioned that and...

[<whispers> Don't hold your breath for IE7 this summer.]

--
~PA Bear

mae wrote:
> I can't help they change it with each revision.
> This was last one I had read:
> Description of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP
> (KB887797): Revision: 5.0 : Last Review 01/20/05
>
> It now is:
> Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express
> Revision : 7.1 Last Review : March 31, 2005
>
> I had this originally:
> 12-16-04 Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB887797)
> Download size: 1.1 MB, 2 minutes
>
> I don't know why they list those as applies to, as the summary only
> mentions To resolve these problems, first install the Cumulative Update
> for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB887797) Doesn't mention any other.
> Maybe because of the requirement :
> Before this update is made available to you on the Windows Update Web
> site, you must install cumulative security update 823353 since it applies
> to those versions of OE.
>
> It is too confusing the way it is written, but not concerned as I
> use web based mail - only OE for some archiving and newsgroups.
> I had 2 hand-me-downs with XP - not using yet.
> I will futz with one (a Dell) for IE7 and better media this summer.

> > Why, Mae? That isn't its title...
> >
> > Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797):
> >
> > <QP>
> >
> > APPLIES TO
> > . Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
> > . Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5
> > . Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 Service Pack 2
> >
> > </QP>
> >
> > You gotta WinXP running OE5.5 or OE5.5 SP2? <eg>
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
> >
> > mae wrote:
> > > Your title for Q887797 should be:
> > > Description of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows
> > > XP

OK - no wonder it's all mixed up. : )
Oh well. Might be fall - too busy in the summer to be on-line much.
--
mae

| <VBEG> It /was/ for WinXP SP2 when it was first released. Some
| Ornery-MVPs-You-Know questioned that and...
|
| [<whispers> Don't hold your breath for IE7 this summer.]
| |
| mae wrote:
| > I can't help they change it with each revision.
| > I will futz with one (a Dell) for IE7 and better media this summer.
| >
| > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > > Why, Mae? That isn't its title...

You are right after all. Although it's title doesn't mention XP, there
is altogether too much mention of it inside. The article is positively
infected! However, I defer to Bear to discuss it any further. I must go
into decontamination!

--
| I can't help they change it with each revision.
| This was last one I had read:
| Description of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows
XP
| (KB887797): Revision: 5.0 : Last Review 01/20/05
|
| It now is:
| Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express
| Revision : 7.1 Last Review : March 31, 2005
|
| I had this originally:
| 12-16-04 Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1
(KB887797)
| Download size: 1.1 MB, 2 minutes
|
| I don't know why they list those as applies to, as the summary only
mentions
| To resolve these problems, first install the Cumulative Update for
Outlook
| Express for Windows XP (KB887797) Doesn't mention any other.
| Maybe because of the requirement :
| Before this update is made available to you on the Windows Update Web
site,
| you must install cumulative security update 823353 since it applies to
those
| versions of OE.
|
| It is too confusing the way it is written, but not concerned as I
| use web based mail - only OE for some archiving and newsgroups.
| I had 2 hand-me-downs with XP - not using yet.
| I will futz with one (a Dell) for IE7 and better media this summer.
| --
| mae
|
| "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
| | Why, Mae? That isn't its title...
| |
| | Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797):
| | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887797
| |
| | <QP>
| |
| | APPLIES TO
| | . Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
| | . Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5
| | . Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 Service Pack 2
| |
| | </QP>
| |
| | You gotta WinXP running OE5.5 or OE5.5 SP2? <eg>
| | --
| | ~PA Bear
| |

mae wrote:

> I can't help they change it with each revision.
> This was last one I had read:
> Description of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP
> (KB887797): Revision: 5.0 : Last Review 01/20/05
>
> It now is:
> Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express
> Revision : 7.1 Last Review : March 31, 2005
>
> I had this originally:
> 12-16-04 Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB887797)
> Download size: 1.1 MB, 2 minutes
>
> I don't know why they list those as applies to, as the summary only mentions
> To resolve these problems, first install the Cumulative Update for Outlook
> Express for Windows XP (KB887797) Doesn't mention any other.
> Maybe because of the requirement :
> Before this update is made available to you on the Windows Update Web site,
> you must install cumulative security update 823353 since it applies to those
> versions of OE.
>
> It is too confusing the way it is written, ...

Since there is a 'Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
Express'-series, IMO, a 'Cumulative Update for Outlook Express' if made
available, should include both accumulated non-security updates as well
as accumulated security updates for OE.

From just reading the threads with the regulars in here, think how very
confusing it must be for a lot of people that the naming of 'Cumulative
Security Updates' and 'Cumulative non-Security Updates' aren't better
differentiated. ... I gotta wonder if this is done by design, by
ignorance or what else?

> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> | Why, Mae? That isn't its title...
> |
> | Description of the cumulative update for Outlook Express (KB887797):
> | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887797
> |

> | mae wrote:
> | > Your title for Q887797 should be:
> | > Description of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

lee

.... et al. wrote:

> Since there is a 'Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> Express'-series, IMO, a 'Cumulative Update for Outlook Express' if
made
> available, should include both accumulated non-security updates as
well
> as accumulated security updates for OE.
>
> From just reading the threads with the regulars in here, think how
very
> confusing it must be for a lot of people that the naming of
'Cumulative
> Security Updates' and 'Cumulative non-Security Updates' aren't better

> differentiated. ... I gotta wonder if this is done by design, by
> ignorance or what else?

The story of cumulative updates is an odd one, I refer you to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/default.mspx
where half way down the page you can see several times "This update
includes the functionality of all previously released updates".

IF they meant instead "This update includes the functionality of all
previously released CUMULATIVE updates" only then they would be correct
in my book, as is, they are just misleading as hell. The cumulative
series of updates which only seem to exist in ie and OE flavors only
contain from two to 12 files - they can't possibly contain any past
fixes or updates to that date unless they are only talking about those
same 2 to 12 files that have been found to STILL be defective in some
way. And that is exactly what is going on with the word cumulative
over at MS. At MS the word only applies to those 2 to 12 ie and OE
files, certainly NOT to "all previously released updates".

Common usage of the word is tad bit different methinks.

Operationally, 'Cumulative non-Security Updates' wouldn't exist unless
you caught an aging component, 'on the cusp', that just got dropped
from support (eg. ie 5.50 SP2 on 98) and MS released one for it anyway.
That is something MS is NOT doing, therefore it doesn't exist? The
thinking is based on critical VS non-critical criteria, since 5.50
isn't supported then it doesn't get rated for a critical fix (even when
the vunerability is rated critical for all ie) and the update is just
not released for that version of ie. The cumulatives today are only
for ie6 on 98 and you must be using ME to find them for both ie 5.50
SP2 and ie6 as you once could for 98 as well.

If by that term you meant instead some kind of Service Pack containing
"all previously released updates" - there is no such thing, never will
be, at least from MS, I'm thinking. There is such a thing on the web
but it comes with
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
tweak among many, many others including hotfixes that can't possibly
apply to your machine installed anyway with no choice other than to
pass on the entire package. I won't post a link to it because it's
more dangerous than helpful IMO. Look for unofficial service pack to
find it.

> Please note I was referring to the wrong update in my reply, as far as
> which one requires registry editing to enable the fixes. It is 887797
> that has the fixes which must be added by registry edit, not 837009.

I will take your advise

Randy Spainhour wrote:
> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in
>
> > Please note I was referring to the wrong update in my reply, as far as
> > which one requires registry editing to enable the fixes. It is 887797
> > that has the fixes which must be added by registry edit, not 837009.
>
> I will take your advise

Please note that Resolutions 2, 6 & 7 are enabled by default with the
install of 887797. All other must be enabled manually.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Lee wrote:
> ... et al. wrote:
> >
> > Since there is a 'Cumulative Security Update for Outlook
> > Express'-series, IMO, a 'Cumulative Update for Outlook Express' if made
> > available, should include both accumulated non-security updates as well
> > as accumulated security updates for OE.
> >
> > From just reading the threads with the regulars in here, think how very
> > confusing it must be for a lot of people that the naming of 'Cumulative
> > Security Updates' and 'Cumulative non-Security Updates' aren't better
>
> > differentiated. ... I gotta wonder if this is done by design, by
> > ignorance or what else?
> >

> The story of cumulative updates is an odd one, I refer you to
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/default.mspx
> where half way down the page you can see several times "This update
> includes the functionality of all previously released updates".
>
> IF they meant instead "This update includes the functionality of all
> previously released CUMULATIVE updates" only then they would be correct
> in my book, as is, they are just misleading as hell. The cumulative
> series of updates which only seem to exist in ie and OE flavors only
> contain from two to 12 files - they can't possibly contain any past
> fixes or updates to that date unless they are only talking about those
> same 2 to 12 files that have been found to STILL be defective in some
> way. And that is exactly what is going on with the word cumulative
> over at MS. At MS the word only applies to those 2 to 12 ie and OE
> files, certainly NOT to "all previously released updates".
<snip>

1. You can express your dis-satisfaction with MS terminology here:

2. The IE and OE updates /are/ cumulative of all past cumulative updates.
If, e.g., you'd installed the second-to-last IE update and then install the
current one, the install would give you the files updated in the last one
(the one you didn't install).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security