Can a Dell computer come with a very slow modem?

I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.

Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron chip
won't make too much difference.

The modem is a question.
I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps. In a
Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting 33
KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral with
the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?

Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?

TIA
8 answers Last reply
More about dell computer slow modem

    My guess it that the wrong driver is being used.
    Most likely a generic driver was assigned during a re-installation.
    Go to Dell web site and support and download the modem driver for that
    model.

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3dkd11F6q4t0nU1@individual.net...
    >I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.
    >
    > Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron chip
    > won't make too much difference.
    >
    > The modem is a question.
    > I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps. In
    > a Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting
    > 33 KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral
    > with the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?
    >
    > Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?
    >
    > TIA

    Or someone could have installed an old modem to replace one that got zapped.
    You can buy a 56 K modem quite cheap now days. Just replace the one in
    there with the new one.
    That might be easier than finding the right driver for the one in there now
    if you are not tech savvy.

    "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > My guess it that the wrong driver is being used.
    > Most likely a generic driver was assigned during a re-installation.
    > Go to Dell web site and support and download the modem driver for that
    > model.
    >
    > "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
    >>I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.
    >>
    >> Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron
    >> chip won't make too much difference.
    >>
    >> The modem is a question.
    >> I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps. In
    >> a Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting
    >> 33 KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral
    >> with the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?
    >>
    >> Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?
    >>
    >> TIA

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3dkd11F6q4t0nU1@individual.net...

    > I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps. In
    > Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting 33
    > KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral with
    > the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?

    Anyone with a screwdriver could add a modem to a 1997
    Dell PC that lacked one: and you can do the same, ie.
    remove the cover and see for yourself, or replace this
    modem with a 56 Kb unit.
    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    If you got the CDs that Dell supplied originally (there was a Resource CD as
    well as individual equipment CDs containing drivers for that computer), try
    reinstalling the correct driver assuming the original modem is still
    installed. If not, see if Glen's research helps.

    That computer is about five years old by the way--I bought a new 700 MHz
    Dell in Jun 2000.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3dkd11F6q4t0nU1@individual.net...
    >I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.
    >
    > Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron chip
    > won't make too much difference.
    >
    > The modem is a question.
    > I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps. In
    > a Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting
    > 33 KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral
    > with the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?
    >
    > Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?
    >
    > TIA

    Someone apparently removed the modem from Device Manager, and installed a generic
    1200bps driver instead, not having the correct driver for the integral modem on a
    disc. It may be that someone formatted the laptop drive, wiping out the operating
    system, and then reinstalled fresh before you got it. If they used a standard Win98
    disc instead of the original dell disc, they likely did not have the correct driver
    available to them.

    I just did a search for communications drivers at http://support.dell.com/ for the
    Dimension L___cxe. I simply skipped filling in the box for the Service Tag number,
    and went on with the search. It found two modems with drivers available: the GVC
    Graphite DFV Modem, and the Lucent V.90 D/F/V PCI Modem. You need to identify if
    yours is one of those. One way may be to remove the 1200bps modem from device
    manager, and reboot. When Windows detects new hardware, it may show a name for the
    modem....more likely, it will just show PCI communications device. You may be able
    to determine what you have by running the Everest utility on the computer....you
    will have to download it on another machine and bring it to that computer on a CD or
    USB stick (it's ~3MB), then copy it to the hard drive and run it. The utility will
    identify your hardware and should tell you what chipset the modem has.
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

    Of course if you have the Service Tag number on a sticker on the back or on the side
    panel of the computer, you can find the correct driver on the Dell site right away,
    and avoid all the extra work of manually identifying the modem. Download the driver
    installation file, then run it on the computer to install the driver. The driver
    download should fit on a floppy disk.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    glee wrote:
    > Someone apparently removed the modem from Device Manager, and installed a generic
    > 1200bps driver instead, not having the correct driver for the integral modem on a
    > disc. It may be that someone formatted the laptop drive, wiping out the operating
    > system, and then reinstalled fresh before you got it. If they used a standard Win98
    > disc instead of the original dell disc, they likely did not have the correct driver
    > available to them.
    >
    > I just did a search for communications drivers at http://support.dell.com/ for the
    > Dimension L___cxe. I simply skipped filling in the box for the Service Tag number,
    > and went on with the search. It found two modems with drivers available: the GVC
    > Graphite DFV Modem, and the Lucent V.90 D/F/V PCI Modem. You need to identify if
    > yours is one of those. One way may be to remove the 1200bps modem from device
    > manager, and reboot. When Windows detects new hardware, it may show a name for the
    > modem....more likely, it will just show PCI communications device. You may be able
    > to determine what you have by running the Everest utility on the computer....you
    > will have to download it on another machine and bring it to that computer on a CD or
    > USB stick (it's ~3MB), then copy it to the hard drive and run it. The utility will
    > identify your hardware and should tell you what chipset the modem has.
    > http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en
    >
    > Of course if you have the Service Tag number on a sticker on the back or on the side
    > panel of the computer, you can find the correct driver on the Dell site right away,
    > and avoid all the extra work of manually identifying the modem. Download the driver
    > installation file, then run it on the computer to install the driver. The driver
    > download should fit on a floppy disk.

    Thanks for the research, Glen.

    great

    ms wrote:
    > I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.
    >
    > Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron
    > chip won't make too much difference.
    >
    > The modem is a question.
    > I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps.
    > In a Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was
    > expecting 33 KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the
    > modem integral with the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB
    > modem?
    >
    > Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?
    >
    > TIA
    Thanks to all.

    ms

Modem Dell Computers Windows