Can a Dell computer come with a very slow modem?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 1, 2005 1:06:55 PM

I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.

Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron chip
won't make too much difference.

The modem is a question.
I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps. In a
Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting 33
KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral with
the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?

Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?

TIA
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 1:34:37 PM

My guess it that the wrong driver is being used.
Most likely a generic driver was assigned during a re-installation.
Go to Dell web site and support and download the modem driver for that
model.

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3dkd11F6q4t0nU1@individual.net...
>I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.
>
> Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron chip
> won't make too much difference.
>
> The modem is a question.
> I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps. In
> a Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting
> 33 KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral
> with the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?
>
> Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?
>
> TIA
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 1:54:37 PM

Or someone could have installed an old modem to replace one that got zapped.
You can buy a 56 K modem quite cheap now days. Just replace the one in
there with the new one.
That might be easier than finding the right driver for the one in there now
if you are not tech savvy.

"Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> My guess it that the wrong driver is being used.
> Most likely a generic driver was assigned during a re-installation.
> Go to Dell web site and support and download the modem driver for that
> model.
>
> "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
>>I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.
>>
>> Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron
>> chip won't make too much difference.
>>
>> The modem is a question.
>> I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps. In
>> a Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting
>> 33 KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral
>> with the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?
>>
>> Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?
>>
>> TIA

May 1, 2005 4:17:26 PM

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3dkd11F6q4t0nU1@individual.net...

> I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps. In
> Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting 33
> KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral with
> the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?

Anyone with a screwdriver could add a modem to a 1997
Dell PC that lacked one: and you can do the same, ie.
remove the cover and see for yourself, or replace this
modem with a 56 Kb unit.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

If you got the CDs that Dell supplied originally (there was a Resource CD as
well as individual equipment CDs containing drivers for that computer), try
reinstalling the correct driver assuming the original modem is still
installed. If not, see if Glen's research helps.

That computer is about five years old by the way--I bought a new 700 MHz
Dell in Jun 2000.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3dkd11F6q4t0nU1@individual.net...
>I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.
>
> Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron chip
> won't make too much difference.
>
> The modem is a question.
> I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps. In
> a Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting
> 33 KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral
> with the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?
>
> Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?
>
> TIA
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:22:28 PM

Someone apparently removed the modem from Device Manager, and installed a generic
1200bps driver instead, not having the correct driver for the integral modem on a
disc. It may be that someone formatted the laptop drive, wiping out the operating
system, and then reinstalled fresh before you got it. If they used a standard Win98
disc instead of the original dell disc, they likely did not have the correct driver
available to them.

I just did a search for communications drivers at http://support.dell.com/ for the
Dimension L___cxe. I simply skipped filling in the box for the Service Tag number,
and went on with the search. It found two modems with drivers available: the GVC
Graphite DFV Modem, and the Lucent V.90 D/F/V PCI Modem. You need to identify if
yours is one of those. One way may be to remove the 1200bps modem from device
manager, and reboot. When Windows detects new hardware, it may show a name for the
modem....more likely, it will just show PCI communications device. You may be able
to determine what you have by running the Everest utility on the computer....you
will have to download it on another machine and bring it to that computer on a CD or
USB stick (it's ~3MB), then copy it to the hard drive and run it. The utility will
identify your hardware and should tell you what chipset the modem has.
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...

Of course if you have the Service Tag number on a sticker on the back or on the side
panel of the computer, you can find the correct driver on the Dell site right away,
and avoid all the extra work of manually identifying the modem. Download the driver
installation file, then run it on the computer to install the driver. The driver
download should fit on a floppy disk.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3dkd11F6q4t0nU1@individual.net...
> I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.
>
> Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron chip
> won't make too much difference.
>
> The modem is a question.
> I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps. In a
> Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting 33
> KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral with
> the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?
>
> Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?
>
> TIA
May 1, 2005 5:36:56 PM

glee wrote:
> Someone apparently removed the modem from Device Manager, and installed a generic
> 1200bps driver instead, not having the correct driver for the integral modem on a
> disc. It may be that someone formatted the laptop drive, wiping out the operating
> system, and then reinstalled fresh before you got it. If they used a standard Win98
> disc instead of the original dell disc, they likely did not have the correct driver
> available to them.
>
> I just did a search for communications drivers at http://support.dell.com/ for the
> Dimension L___cxe. I simply skipped filling in the box for the Service Tag number,
> and went on with the search. It found two modems with drivers available: the GVC
> Graphite DFV Modem, and the Lucent V.90 D/F/V PCI Modem. You need to identify if
> yours is one of those. One way may be to remove the 1200bps modem from device
> manager, and reboot. When Windows detects new hardware, it may show a name for the
> modem....more likely, it will just show PCI communications device. You may be able
> to determine what you have by running the Everest utility on the computer....you
> will have to download it on another machine and bring it to that computer on a CD or
> USB stick (it's ~3MB), then copy it to the hard drive and run it. The utility will
> identify your hardware and should tell you what chipset the modem has.
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...
>
> Of course if you have the Service Tag number on a sticker on the back or on the side
> panel of the computer, you can find the correct driver on the Dell site right away,
> and avoid all the extra work of manually identifying the modem. Download the driver
> installation file, then run it on the computer to install the driver. The driver
> download should fit on a floppy disk.

Thanks for the research, Glen.
May 1, 2005 7:17:40 PM

great
> [...]
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>

> "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
> > I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.
> >
> > Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron
chip
> > won't make too much difference.
> >
> > The modem is a question.
> > I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps.
In a
> > Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was expecting
33
> > KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the modem integral
with
> > the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB modem?
> >
> > Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?

May 2, 2005 11:45:16 AM

ms wrote:
> I acquired a used 700 MHZ Dell L700CXE Celeron computer running Win ME.
>
> Being a home user and not into demanding games, hopefully the Celeron
> chip won't make too much difference.
>
> The modem is a question.
> I went into Properties, and it lists the modem (no brand) as 1200 bps.
> In a Dell computer that is IMO 8 years old, how can this be? I was
> expecting 33 KB or 56 KB, particularly as I believe Dell builds the
> modem integral with the motherboard, and how could they ship a 1.2 KB
> modem?
>
> Or, is Properties giving me a false answer?
>
> TIA
Thanks to all.

ms
!