Uninstall ME and replace with W98SE

ms

From what I've learned this morning on this ng, I want to uninstall ME and
replace it with W98SE. I have always found W98SE to be very reliable and
troublefree.

This is a Dell computer, no factory disks.

ME is new to me, how to uninstall, including any "hidden files"?

Best way to then install W98SE?

TIA

ms

ms wrote:
> From what I've learned this morning on this ng, I want to uninstall ME
> and replace it with W98SE. I have always found W98SE to be very reliable
> and troublefree.
>
> This is a Dell computer, no factory disks.
>
> ME is new to me, how to uninstall, including any "hidden files"?
>
> Best way to then install W98SE?
>
> TIA
An addition:
I got some comments that Dell may only have put ME drivers on the hard
drive and I will have problems running W98.

There is a label on the side of the case: Cert. of Authority for W98SE, so
it must originally have had W98SE installed.

Advice?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I am also planning to do this.

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3dku9iF6oolriU1@individual.net...
> ms wrote:
> > From what I've learned this morning on this ng, I want to uninstall ME
> > and replace it with W98SE. I have always found W98SE to be very reliable
> > and troublefree.
> >
> > This is a Dell computer, no factory disks.
> >
> > ME is new to me, how to uninstall, including any "hidden files"?
> >
> > Best way to then install W98SE?
> >
> > TIA
> An addition:
> I got some comments that Dell may only have put ME drivers on the hard
> drive and I will have problems running W98.
>
> There is a label on the side of the case: Cert. of Authority for W98SE, so
> it must originally have had W98SE installed.
>
> Advice?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Send me an email if you want to share experience.

ms wrote:
> From what I've learned this morning on this ng, I want to uninstall ME
> and replace it with W98SE. I have always found W98SE to be very reliable
> and troublefree.
>
> This is a Dell computer, no factory disks.
>
> ME is new to me, how to uninstall, including any "hidden files"?
>
> Best way to then install W98SE?
>
> TIA
No "uninstall" in this case, kick out the system you don't want and put
in what is comfortable for YOU.
Boot from diskette, format the drive, reboot from 98 CD and run setup.
As easy as that.
Note: copy from ME the Defrag.exe and replace later the 98 one with it,
much better.

Have fun

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

One thing comes to mind is you could loose driver info.
I think one needs to at least make a list of devices and/or drivers so they
can be reinstalled.

user wrote:
> One thing comes to mind is you could loose driver info.
> I think one needs to at least make a list of devices and/or drivers so they
> can be reinstalled.

This kind of administrative activity is NOT for someone completely
ignorant of what IS involved.
"We always learn!"

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

Since you say it has that Win98 sticker on it, the computer probably came with 98
originally. Before you do anything, record all your hardware in Device Manager so
that you know exactly what you have for display driver, modem driver, sound, network
card, and any other drivers. you will have to download all the drivers from Dell.
I gave you the link and some info earlier, in your other thread.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3dkt1sF6qk2ugU1@individual.net...
> From what I've learned this morning on this ng, I want to uninstall ME and
> replace it with W98SE. I have always found W98SE to be very reliable and
> troublefree.
>
> This is a Dell computer, no factory disks.
>
> ME is new to me, how to uninstall, including any "hidden files"?
>
> Best way to then install W98SE?
>
> TIA

Actually, if you aren't having problems with ME, maybe you would be better off
just getting 'used' to it.
If you are having problems with it, post them and there may be an easy solution.
Make sure you have a Win98SE cd to use with the Product ID or you may be SOL.
If you still want to switch to Win98SE, you will probably lose all your
programs, etc on that drive.

ms wrote:
> ms wrote:
>> From what I've learned this morning on this ng, I want to uninstall
>> ME and replace it with W98SE. I have always found W98SE to be very
>> reliable and troublefree.
>>
>> This is a Dell computer, no factory disks.
>>
>> ME is new to me, how to uninstall, including any "hidden files"?

Formatting wipes all.
_______________

>> Best way to then install W98SE?

See below.
_____________

> An addition:
> I got some comments that Dell may only have put ME drivers on the hard
> drive and I will have problems running W98.

Not to worry, they wouldn't be there after you install Win98 anyway.
*YOU* have to put them back.
___________________

> There is a label on the side of the case: Cert. of Authority for
> W98SE, so it must originally have had W98SE installed.
>
> Advice?

Same as others...identify your add on hardware. Stuff like modem, sound
card, video card, mobo drivers, printer, etc. Windows won't have the
drivers for them and you'll need them.

If you don't have the install CDs for the hardware, you could use
something like MyDrivers...
http://www.zhangduo.com/driverbackup.html

It will identify the non-Microsoft drivers via "Fast Collect" (you can
also ID the MS drivers but no need to do so) currently on the system and
let you back up all or selected drivers. You can also update them via
the web if you wish. It can even make an exe so any or the lot can be
easily restored. Note that the install location in Win98 might be
different than that in WinME though, up to you to determine that.

The program isn't exactly cheap but IIRC there is a 15 day trial, don't
recall if anything is disabled during the trial or not.

Once you have your drivers, there is no need to "uninstall" ME...just
the normal FDISK/Format will do that. You then install Windows followed
by whatever hardware drivers you may need, then programs. I still
suggest TotalUninstall.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

ms

dadiOH wrote:
> ms wrote:
>
> Not to worry, they wouldn't be there after you install Win98 anyway.
> *YOU* have to put them back.

Thanks to dadiOH and Glen, some homework here.

Mike

If you gave winme a little more time to get the feel of it, you may find you
will like it more than 98...

I did, mine is well stable... it grew on me, now I do prefer it... :)

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
> ms wrote:
>> ms wrote:
>>> From what I've learned this morning on this ng, I want to uninstall
>>> ME and replace it with W98SE. I have always found W98SE to be very
>>> reliable and troublefree.
>>>
>>> This is a Dell computer, no factory disks.
>>>
>>> ME is new to me, how to uninstall, including any "hidden files"?
>
> Formatting wipes all.
> _______________
>
>>> Best way to then install W98SE?
>
> See below.
> _____________
>
>> An addition:
>> I got some comments that Dell may only have put ME drivers on the hard
>> drive and I will have problems running W98.
>
> Not to worry, they wouldn't be there after you install Win98 anyway.
> *YOU* have to put them back.
> ___________________
>
>> There is a label on the side of the case: Cert. of Authority for
>> W98SE, so it must originally have had W98SE installed.
>>
>> Advice?
>
> Same as others...identify your add on hardware. Stuff like modem, sound
> card, video card, mobo drivers, printer, etc. Windows won't have the
> drivers for them and you'll need them.
>
> If you don't have the install CDs for the hardware, you could use
> something like MyDrivers...
> http://www.zhangduo.com/driverbackup.html
>
> It will identify the non-Microsoft drivers via "Fast Collect" (you can
> also ID the MS drivers but no need to do so) currently on the system and
> let you back up all or selected drivers. You can also update them via
> the web if you wish. It can even make an exe so any or the lot can be
> easily restored. Note that the install location in Win98 might be
> different than that in WinME though, up to you to determine that.
>
> The program isn't exactly cheap but IIRC there is a 15 day trial, don't
> recall if anything is disabled during the trial or not.
>
> Once you have your drivers, there is no need to "uninstall" ME...just
> the normal FDISK/Format will do that. You then install Windows followed
> by whatever hardware drivers you may need, then programs. I still
> suggest TotalUninstall.
>
> --
> dadiOH
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

:-\ Windows ME does not grow on you, imo.