MVP question

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
May 1, 2005 5:45:40 PM

Why aren't there any MVPs over in microsoft.public.office? I see lots
of questions, but few answers and none by an MVP.

TIA

More about : mvp question

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 9:07:31 PM

You'll find 'em hanging out in the more-specific Office newsgroups (e.g.,
microsoft.public.office.misc).

See http://groups-beta.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33607412&e...
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

sf wrote:
> Why aren't there any MVPs over in microsoft.public.office? I see lots
> of questions, but few answers and none by an MVP.
>
> TIA
May 2, 2005 1:56:03 AM

On Sun, 1 May 2005 17:07:31 -0400, PA Bear wrote:

> You'll find 'em hanging out in the more-specific Office newsgroups (e.g.,
> microsoft.public.office.misc).

Thanks, Bear.
May 2, 2005 2:00:48 AM

My experience with some of the MVPs in microsoft.public.outlook is that they don't respond at all to certain questions, and are not as "active" as the MVPs in this newsgroup, to put it mildly...
For example, I've posted there several times about fixed-width vs. proportional fonts settings in Outlook and how Outlook handles that (because it seems buggy to me), but have never gotten a reply...
So kudos to all the MVPs in this newsgroup, who do their best to assist users.
Ivan

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4pfa71l2rhjkf867kakmm1mml368fia9tc@4ax.com...

> Why aren't there any MVPs over in microsoft.public.office? I see lots
> of questions, but few answers and none by an MVP.
>
> TIA
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:34:39 AM

Have you posted to an Outlook-specific (vs Office) newsgroup, Ivan?

--

Ivan Bútora wrote:
> My experience with some of the MVPs in microsoft.public.outlook is that
> they don't respond at all to certain questions, and are not as "active" as
> the MVPs in this newsgroup, to put it mildly...
> For example, I've posted there several times about fixed-width vs.
> (because it seems buggy to me), but have never gotten a reply... So kudos
> to all the MVPs in this newsgroup, who do their best to assist users.
> Ivan
>

> "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Why aren't there any MVPs over in microsoft.public.office? I see lots
>> of questions, but few answers and none by an MVP.
>>
>> TIA
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:44:35 AM

yes, microsoft.public.outlook, and microsoft.putlic.outlook.general. I surely don't want to have to call ms support and pay $35 to find out about a pretty basic issue...

"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:o MP1rfsTFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Have you posted to an Outlook-specific (vs Office) newsgroup, Ivan?

> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> Ivan Bútora wrote:
> > My experience with some of the MVPs in microsoft.public.outlook is that
> > they don't respond at all to certain questions, and are not as "active" as
> > the MVPs in this newsgroup, to put it mildly...
> > For example, I've posted there several times about fixed-width vs.
> > (because it seems buggy to me), but have never gotten a reply... So kudos
> > to all the MVPs in this newsgroup, who do their best to assist users.
> > Ivan
> >

> > "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Why aren't there any MVPs over in microsoft.public.office? I see lots
> >> of questions, but few answers and none by an MVP.
> >>
> >> TIA

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:44:36 AM

So, what's the issue? I tried searching Google Groups for that NG and
your handle, and came up with zilch. Were you using a different name?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
> yes, microsoft.public.outlook, and microsoft.putlic.outlook.general. I
surely don't want to have to call ms support and pay $35 to find out
about a pretty basic issue...

news:o MP1rfsTFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Have you posted to an Outlook-specific (vs Office) newsgroup, Ivan?

> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > Ivan Bútora wrote:
> > > My experience with some of the MVPs in microsoft.public.outlook is
that
> > > they don't respond at all to certain questions, and are not as
"active" as
> > > the MVPs in this newsgroup, to put it mildly...
> > > For example, I've posted there several times about fixed-width vs.
that
> > > (because it seems buggy to me), but have never gotten a reply...
So kudos
> > > to all the MVPs in this newsgroup, who do their best to assist
users.
> > > Ivan
> > >

> > > "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:50:36 AM

microsoft.public.office isn't a MS newsgroup. You might be seeing it on
your news server because it used to exist and they (or someone else) has
kept it going. Use the MS news server (msnews.microsoft.com) and you will
get only the current office newsgroups.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Why aren't there any MVPs over in microsoft.public.office? I see lots
> of questions, but few answers and none by an MVP.
>
> TIA
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:18:23 PM

Hi Gary,

the most recent post was here:
news:o vxoDe#PFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

The question was this:

OL 2000
What is the significance of the proportional / fixed-width font options under International Font settings in Outlook? Outlook always chooses the proportional option anyway.

Furthermore, how does Outlook reconcile the setting under "when composing and reading plain text" vs. the settings under International Fonts? Say I have a plain text message in ISO 8859-1. How does Outlook decide what font to use to display the text?
(This seems to be implemented in a bugy way... based on my experience, the general plain text setting only applies to Central European encodings on my system, but it is ignored for all other encodings. This is probably because my system codepage is Central European, but that's just a hypothesis.)

Now that I think about it, the proportional / fixed-width settings also affect Outlook Express, so I might ask in an OE newsgroup about that...

Thanks,

Ivan

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:e5xJLdtTFHA.1600@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> So, what's the issue? I tried searching Google Groups for that NG and
> your handle, and came up with zilch. Were you using a different name?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
> > yes, microsoft.public.outlook, and microsoft.putlic.outlook.general. I
> surely don't want to have to call ms support and pay $35 to find out
> about a pretty basic issue...
> >
> > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o MP1rfsTFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Have you posted to an Outlook-specific (vs Office) newsgroup, Ivan?

> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

> that
> "active" as
> that
> So kudos
> users.

> lots

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:18:24 PM

So, did you eventually ask in an OE group, <g>?

Listen, I've downloaded both of those groups, in their entirety as they
currently exist on the MS servers, and I can sort of see why you might
not have received an answer. Unfortunately, the message stores don't go
back very far, so I can't say that I've seen the whole history. However,
based upon what I few recent examples I *can* see...

You consistently X-post to both of those two groups, and even when you
get answers (which you did, to most of your posts) you pretty
consistently complain about this or that bug in OL2000, an app that is
simply not going to be patched in any significant manner ever again
except regarding security issues. Furthermore, you appear to be not
willing to accept when the answer to most of your queries is that the
issue was fixed in later versions, or that you need to use a 3rd-party
workaround. I can't see how the OL MVPs can make it much more clear than
that. IOW, in most cases, you *are* getting an answer, the only answer
that exists even though you may not like it, and yet instead of being
gracious and at least saying, "Thank you," for these volunteer efforts,
your usual response is to say, in so many words, "Well that sux!".

You may *think* that in this particular case you're simply asking for
information on "how does this work?", but when taken in context, the
general tenor of your posts there seem to be rather querulous, and if
nobody happens to know the answer, or they do know the answer but also
know that it's been resolved in more recent editions of OL--or can't be
resolved, period--then I can understand why they would tend to ignore
your posts, based upon experience.

I'm not trying to speak for others, not at all. Just offering as
unbiased an opinion as I can of the record that I can access.

--

> Hi Gary,
>
> the most recent post was here:
> news:o vxoDe#PFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
>
> The question was this:
>
> OL 2000
> What is the significance of the proportional / fixed-width font
options under International Font settings in Outlook? Outlook always
chooses the proportional option anyway.

> Furthermore, how does Outlook reconcile the setting under "when
composing and reading plain text" vs. the settings under International
Fonts? Say I have a plain text message in ISO 8859-1. How does Outlook
decide what font to use to display the text?
> (This seems to be implemented in a bugy way... based on my experience,
the general plain text setting only applies to Central European
encodings on my system, but it is ignored for all other encodings. This
is probably because my system codepage is Central European, but that's
just a hypothesis.)

> Now that I think about it, the proportional / fixed-width settings
also affect Outlook Express, so I might ask in an OE newsgroup about
that...

> Thanks,
>
> Ivan

> > So, what's the issue? I tried searching Google Groups for that NG
and
> > your handle, and came up with zilch. Were you using a different
name?

> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
> > > yes, microsoft.public.outlook, and
microsoft.putlic.outlook.general. I
> > surely don't want to have to call ms support and pay $35 to find out
> > about a pretty basic issue...
> > >
> > > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o MP1rfsTFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Ivan?

microsoft.public.outlook is
> > that
> > "active" as
> > that
> > So kudos
> > users.

> > lots

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:15:16 AM

Ivan Bútora wrote:
> the most recent post was here:
> news:o vxoDe#PFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
>
> The question was this:
>
> OL 2000
> What is the significance of the proportional / fixed-width font options
> under International Font settings in Outlook? Outlook always chooses the
> proportional option anyway.
>
> Furthermore, how does Outlook reconcile the setting under "when composing
> and reading plain text" vs. the settings under International Fonts? Say I
> have a plain text message in ISO 8859-1. How does Outlook decide what
> font to use to display the text? (This seems to be implemented in a bugy
> way... based on my experience, the general plain text setting only
> applies to Central European encodings on my system, but it is ignored for
> all other encodings. This is probably because my system codepage is
> Central European, but that's just a hypothesis.)
>
> Now that I think about it, the proportional / fixed-width settings also
> affect Outlook Express, so I might ask in an OE newsgroup about that...

As for OE, see any of these archived threads from OE6 newsgroup:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...

Look especially for posts by Jim Pickering and Michael Santovec.

In OE (and, I'd assume, in OL), reading all messages in Plain Text = chosen
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:22:36 AM

> Why aren't there any MVPs over in microsoft.public.office?
> I see lots of questions, but few answers and none by an MVP.
>

> the most recent post was here:
> news:o vxoDe#PFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

How are you accessing the microsoft.public.office group? Using your ISP's
news server perhaps?

It is not listed at msnews.microsoft.com .... you should be using that news
server to access the current MS newsgroups, and you'll more likely find MVP
help.

There are plenty of Office-specific newsgroups under
microsoft.public.office.... listed at msnews.microsoft.com.

---
Daniel Hicks

danjr@voyager.net
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:09:40 AM

> As for OE, see any of these archived threads from OE6 newsgroup:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
>
> Look especially for posts by Jim Pickering and Michael Santovec.
>
> In OE (and, I'd assume, in OL), reading all messages in Plain Text = chosen

Right, so basically the "fixed-width" setting is irrelevant. Wonder why it's still there, then... Outlook behavior seems to be the same.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:32:11 AM

Thanks for your feedback. I will admit that perhaps I could have been "nicer" in some of those messages. I will also admit that there are some issues the MVPs or others probably can't do anything about, such as bad quoting implementation in Outlook, etc. However, rarely have I gotten an answer from an MVP there; the only answers have come from Brian Tillman, who wasn't very friendly himself....

In my defense, it should be said that some of those issues that I have been posting about are *not* resolved in newer versions of Outlook. For example, the printing options in Outlook 2003 still lack the ability to select which pages to print (except odd/even). So if I get an answer that I should upgrade and that Outlook 2000 won't be fixed, that answer is not very relevant, and nor does it show much interest in getting things fixed or improved. I don't see why I should thank anyone for that type of an answer. In this newsgroup, there is a lot of effort to follow up with certain issues, to discuss things, to see if something can be done. I don't see that much in the Outlook newsgroups. That issue about the font settings (general plain text vs. international encodings, and which one is actually in effect) - I suspect nobody really knows, and nobody cares to look into it. I also suspect the implementation of these settings is similarly strange in recent Outlook versions (although I have not checked), so an "upgrade" suggestion would not be appropriate in that case either. And lastly, if there are known bugs in the program, they should be fixed with Office 2000 SP-4, which (I think) will be coming at some point (??).

Also, I crosspost to both of those newsgroups because I don't understand how they are different from each other. How is "outlook" (without any specification, i.e. general) different from "outlook.general"? :)

IB

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23yZ$qp3TFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> >
> > Now that I think about it, the proportional / fixed-width settings
> also affect Outlook Express, so I might ask in an OE newsgroup about
> that...
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ivan
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > So, what's the issue? I tried searching Google Groups for that NG
> and
> > > your handle, and came up with zilch. Were you using a different
> name?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "Ivan Bútora" <xxx@xxx.xxx> wrote in message
> microsoft.putlic.outlook.general. I
> > > surely don't want to have to call ms support and pay $35 to find out

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:32:12 AM

Well, I have to admit that Millie was rather short with you on one
occasion, but I chalked that up to possibly being due to history I can't
see, plus I notice that there are at least a couple of rather virulent
trolls in that NG, and perhaps she'd just had a bad day. Even then, her
response, while rather curt, was right on target. But in Brian's case, I
don't see that he was anything less than courteous, even though perhaps
more succinct than you might like. We all have our own styles. It's also
important to remember that in *this* NG, Win98.Gen_Discussion, we're all
dealing with a legacy product and take that into consideration. Outlook,
unlike OE, isn't generally considered a "consumer" application,
regardless of how it's promoted by MS. It's not just an email program
and IMHO, shouldn't be used if simple email functions are all that's
required. OL is a full-featured Contacts Management application. It's
best considered a business app and legacy support for business apps is
less reasonable to expect than for OS or even development platforms.
Otherwise, it's comparable to a family machine used for surfing and game
playing being built around a Windows Server as the platform.

To get some perspective, think how it would be if there were only five
or six newsgroups for Windows--*all* Windows. Imagine going to the
windowsxp.general NG and asking how to deal Win98->Win98SE upgrade
issues, or IE 5.01 quirks. What kind of reaction would you expect in
such a case? Hell, look at the reaction such a question gets in *this*
NG, <s>. There's a grand total of 13 Outlook MVPs, world wide, whereas
there are more than that many Shell/User MVPs who focus primarily on
Legacy Windows OS products, and who are by nature more interested in the
minutiae of our specialties than someone who is used to dealing with
complicated "How-to" scenarios and come from an almost exclusively
large-organization IT perspective.

I don't know much about OL other than some support I give to a couple of
clients who use it for their volunteer organization corresponding
secretary duties. I've taught myself just enough to help them through
their "How-to" issues. I *may* someday soon try an OL/Exchange solution
in our publishing business, as part of a larger SBS solution, but the
wife seems enamored of GoldMine, and trying to get her into an
alternative solution when she doesn't even have the time to learn to
make proper use of Goldmine seems to me a losing proposition.

Besides all the other factors I've addressed, your questions have a
sense of irrelevancy about them when seen from the point of view of an
OL power user. As for thanking someone--hey, you got an answer, a polite
if unsatisfactory one, and that alone deserves at least a brief thanks
before launching into more complaints or in-the-guts discussion about
whatever. But your responses don't seem to me to have been designed to
elicit further discussion. When you focus on a design flaw and engage in
rebuttal of someone else's attempt to inject some perspective, instead
of doing some experimentation and trouble-shooting of your own and
couching your correspondence in a way that suggests, "Hey, I'm just
trying to understand this problem," instead of "This pisses me off!",
you're much more likely to get a cooperative result.

In the case of the print options, I have to admit that I fail to see how
that's particularly relevant to OL, anyway, since emails aren't
naturally paginated. Seems to me that the simple workaround would be to
copy and paste into a Word document, where such abilities to
micro-manage production is more natural to the app. As for the font
issue, perhaps you're right--but you are in no position to *demand* that
someone else, particularly someone who is doing what they do on a purely
volunteer basis, pay attention to your rather in consequential issue.

And, no, it is *not* to be assumed that an SP4 for a product that's over
five years old is going to fix "bugs", particularly not ones that are
more accurately described as "failure to decently implement". There's a
distinct difference between a bug that results in hangs, errors, etc. in
primary functions, and simple failures to decently implement a certain
feature. Office 2000, in its entirety, should be seen for what it is--a
product that took a basic workhorse called Office 97 and tried to
implement a whole lot of new "features", successfully in some cases and
horribly unsuccessfully in others. There's more than one feature that's
installed by default in Office 2000 that turned out to be nothing less
than a majorly embarrassing abortion.

If you want to be involved in the feedback loop that leads to better
implementation of features you consider important in an application, the
proper place for that is in the Beta stage, or the shake out between RTM
and SP1 or SP2. Not a list of rather obscure "failures" regarding an app
that's had two major revisions, going on three, since your version was
released. I noticed that there was one thread where you were the one
that discontinued it by not responding to a "have you tried this?"
query. That isn't the way to impress someone who's trying to help. To
sum up, I think you would be better served if you were to be more
courteous from the start--even if the application in question is a piece
of junk, that's hardly the fault of the person giving advice. You might
also try to be more engaging about the details of the issue, to at least
appear to be a fellow-user intent on exploring issues instead of
treating the exchange as one you might more properly treat and exchange
between yourself and official, *paid* Product Support or Product
Development teams.

--

> Thanks for your feedback. I will admit that perhaps I could have been
"nicer" in some of those messages. I will also admit that there are some
issues the MVPs or others probably can't do anything about, such as bad
quoting implementation in Outlook, etc. However, rarely have I gotten an
answer from an MVP there; the only answers have come from Brian Tillman,
who wasn't very friendly himself....

> In my defense, it should be said that some of those issues that I have
been posting about are *not* resolved in newer versions of Outlook. For
example, the printing options in Outlook 2003 still lack the ability to
select which pages to print (except odd/even). So if I get an answer
that I should upgrade and that Outlook 2000 won't be fixed, that answer
is not very relevant, and nor does it show much interest in getting
things fixed or improved. I don't see why I should thank anyone for that
type of an answer. In this newsgroup, there is a lot of effort to follow
up with certain issues, to discuss things, to see if something can be
done. I don't see that much in the Outlook newsgroups. That issue about
the font settings (general plain text vs. international encodings, and
which one is actually in effect) - I suspect nobody really knows, and
nobody cares to look into it. I also suspect the implementation of these
settings is similarly strange in recent Outlook versions (although I
have not checked), so an "upgrade" suggestion would not be appropriate
in that case either. And lastly, if there are known bugs in the program,
they should be fixed with Office 2000 SP-4, which (I think) will be
coming at some point (??).

> Also, I crosspost to both of those newsgroups because I don't
understand how they are different from each other. How is "outlook"
(without any specification, i.e. general) different from
"outlook.general"? :)

> IB
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:12:04 AM

Ivan Bútora wrote:
> > As for OE, see any of these archived threads from OE6 newsgroup:
> >
> > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
> >
> > Look especially for posts by Jim Pickering and Michael Santovec.
> >
> > In OE (and, I'd assume, in OL), reading all messages in Plain Text =
> > chosen proportional font.
>
> Right, so basically the "fixed-width" setting is irrelevant. Wonder why
> it's still there, then... Outlook behavior seems to be the same.

If you want fixed-width, don't read in Plain Text. WYSIWYG.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:12:52 AM

Millie? Short with someone? Say it isn't so, GAry!!! <g,d&r....vvvVf)

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Well, I have to admit that Millie was rather short with you on one
> occasion...
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:12:53 AM

Heh, heh... ;-)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Millie? Short with someone? Say it isn't so, GAry!!!
<g,d&r....vvvVf)

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > Well, I have to admit that Millie was rather short with you on one
> > occasion...
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:49:11 AM

> If you want fixed-width, don't read in Plain Text. WYSIWYG.

The point I was trying to make is that the fixed-width category in OE, as well as Outlook, is entirely irrelevant, since it's never used. The standard implementation would be that if reading in plain text, the program would check for the fixed-width setting, if reading HTML without fonts specified within the message, the program would check the proportional setting. However, the program insted always checks the proportional setting... So I don't really understand where that whole distinction is even coming from - perhaps it used to work differently in OE, but the bottom line is that the way it is now doesn't make much sense.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 8:17:32 AM

OK, Gary. I appreciate that you have taken the time to write such an elaborate reply. I use Outlook for several reasons, including a good advanced search function, contacts, the ability to easily insert attachments simply by pasting into the e-mail message, etc. I also like the .pst format despite its limitations, since it stores the mailbox in one single file, and thus makes it easy to back up, take with you, and open elsewhere. And while Outlook might be primarily a business application, it does have an internet e-mail only mode, and was a part of Office 2000, so certainly it can also be used in a consumer context. So I don't think that makes the issues I've posted about less relevant.

As for the printing, I am not arguing that this is a bug, but I am just a bit surprised about this.... in all other mail programs I have seen, and in fact in most programs that print any text at all, there exists the possibility of selecting which pages to print. Say you have a very long e-mail which keeps track of an ongoing conversation - you might just want to print the first page (if it's top-posted). So I just don't understand why the ability print odd vs. even pages would be included, but not the ability to select which pages to print? And it's still the same in OL 2003? This is one of the things I don't like about Microsoft - when they come up with new versions, they seem not to review certain very basic functions in the older version of the product and implement them better. Often, these are "common sense" issues, and one would expect that the user wouldn't have to bother contacting Microsoft, because the programmers would consider it their responsibility to take care of such things.

The issue with the fonts remains, and I might in fact one day call MS support about it, but then I will bug them forever until I get a satisfactory reply. I'll also check OL 2003 again to see if anything has changed. But if a robust mailing program has two different settings that seem to partially or fully overlap in the functions they cover, and if this is not documented properly, but sort of just implemented without much logic, then that's bad IMO, no matter if it's a consumer product, or a business product, a brand new product or a five-year old product.

As for the other issues about my posting style, I'll try to take what you say into consideration. Although I do see some of these things differently than you, I don't think it would be very productive to further engage in an argument about this, since I'm sure both of us have better things to do, and you were sort of dragged into this conversation in the first place. :)

And just a final reflection... I find it odd that a more elaborate discussion about Outlook would take place in win98.gen_discussion than in actual outlook newsgroups. I posted there about the fonts issue two years ago, then a year ago, and then again now, so the tone in my recent postings might have reflected my past experiences of non-responsiveness.

Ivan

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message news:o xZQyy4TFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> up with certain issues, to discuss things, to see if something can be
> done. I don't see that much in the Outlook newsgroups. That issue about
> the font settings (general plain text vs. international encodings, and
> which one is actually in effect) - I suspect nobody really knows, and
> nobody cares to look into it. I also suspect the implementation of these
> settings is similarly strange in recent Outlook versions (although I
> have not checked), so an "upgrade" suggestion would not be appropriate
> in that case either. And lastly, if there are known bugs in the program,
> they should be fixed with Office 2000 SP-4, which (I think) will be
> coming at some point (??).
> >
> > Also, I crosspost to both of those newsgroups because I don't
> understand how they are different from each other. How is "outlook"
> (without any specification, i.e. general) different from

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:11:56 PM

Ivan Bútora wrote:
> > If you want fixed-width, don't read in Plain Text. WYSIWYG.
>
> The point I was trying to make is that the fixed-width category in OE, as
> well as Outlook, is entirely irrelevant, since it's never used. The
> standard implementation would be that if reading in plain text, the
> program would check for the fixed-width setting, if reading HTML without
> fonts specified within the message, the program would check the
> proportional setting. However, the program insted always checks the
> proportional setting... So I don't really understand where that whole
> distinction is even coming from - perhaps it used to work differently in
> OE, but the bottom line is that the way it is now doesn't make much
> sense.

My mentor Jim Pickering has clarified this for me/us. He says no, it
doesn't make much sense but it's been this way since Day One:

Assuming the message is not HTML, the only way you will see a fixed-width
font when reading a message is if you've chosen a/any fixed-width font
(e.g., Courier-New) in OE: Tools > Options > Read > Fonts > *Proportional*
(not Fixed-Width).

The chosen fixed-width font does not have to be the fixed-width font the
sender used.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:05:38 AM

OK, thanks, at least we know how it works. (I'm wondering if MS will keep it the same for OE 7 without reviewing it.)

> The chosen fixed-width font does not have to be the fixed-width font the
> sender used.

I don't think that the sender actually "uses" any font, i.e. with plain text messages, it's only about how it's displayed; the message doesn't contain information about any fonts.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:05:39 AM

True, but with HTML or RTF email, there are font specs included.
Unfortunately, lots of people, too many people, and most businesses, use
HTML or RTF email. Only if the sender uses PT, or if the receiver forces
conversion to PT, are font specs lost. Of course, for HTML email, at
least in OE and OL, you can force the reader to ignore the font spec by
changing IE settings.

--

news:o kUDcVEUFHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> OK, thanks, at least we know how it works. (I'm wondering if MS will
keep it the same for OE 7 without reviewing it.)

> > The chosen fixed-width font does not have to be the fixed-width font
the
> > sender used.
>
> I don't think that the sender actually "uses" any font, i.e. with
plain text messages, it's only about how it's displayed; the message
doesn't contain information about any fonts.

May 8, 2005 6:49:39 AM

On Tue, 3 May 2005 01:12:04 -0400, PA Bear wrote:

> WYSIWYG.

WDTM?
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 10:31:26 AM

WYSIWYG = What you see is what you get

WDTM is assumed to mean "What does that mean"

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP

!