TheGranPiazza

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
I am in line for a new computer to use for gaming and such, so I was thinking of building my own. I considered some of the luxury computer companies, but then decided that I don't want to pay Falcon Northwest 3,500 dollars. In any event, my question isn't really even on the specifics of the computer I plan to build.

Rather, I am wondering if it is worth it to go ahed and build at this time or not. First of all, what effects will Windows Vista have on the hardware I need to purchase? If there is going to be a large effect, then I might as well wait until Vista is out, or atleast take that into account.

Are there any other giant leaps in the technology on the near horizon that I should look out for?

I want this computer to be able to handle games and some music creation programs for the next 4 years. Just wanted to make sure there isn't anything on the near horizon (6 months or so) that I should consider waiting for.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
the new intel chip (conroe) and the new amd chip (am2) 2ill both be out very soon, sometime in may I think.

If you are wanting the brand new stuff, then wait for that. There are however, negatives to buying bleeding edge stuff.

There seems to be two camps of thought: 1) Wait awhile till the new chips are out. 2) Need now? Buy now.

If you want a new machine now, go ahead and buy it now. You can't go wrong with a socket 939 rig. It will last awhile.

Course, if you are in no hurry, wait a few months, see what the real world benchmarks of the new chips will be like...

TheGranPiazza

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Yeah, I wouldn't be purchasing it until sometime in July or August. So, I figured the fact that socket 939 was going out was one of the reasons I might wait. I don't really know what the effect of those will be though, so someone can elighten me if you wish.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Last i heard (from here somewhere I think), AMD committed to continue producing 939 chips at least until the end of 2007.

You are waiting until July or Aug, then yes, I would suggest going with an am2. I've read the "new" am2 really want be more faster than current chips (but might be much more expensive). However, for upgrading, you will already have a socket 940 mb (what am2 will use) and DDR2 (what am2 will use).

Course you may want to go with conroe (intel) instead, but same logic applies.

The new nvidiea video cards (the G80) will be out sometime this year, possibly as early as then.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
There are major hardware changes and a major change in Windows OS meaning there will be changes in a lot of other software and hardware. From what I understand, regardless if you go with Intel or AMD current mobo won't be campatable. Given your 4 year time frame, I think it makes sense to wait. The mobo you get should be able to handle any new hardware or software developed to take advantage of the new processors and memory, as well as Vista. NOBODY knows whether AMD or Intel would be better for what you want to do but what is known is that the new processors will not be compatable with current mobos.