Can't load drivers

I had Windows 98 on my original hard drive. However, it started bringing up
the desktop then freezing. I could not remove Windows 98 and reinstall on
that drive so I replaced the drive and use my old one as a slave.

My new main drive is a new Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160 GB hard drive. A
friend at work (IT type person) loaded my original Windows 98 disk on it.
However, neither they nor I could load any drivers. The best I can do for
the monitor is 16 colors at 640 X 480. When trying to load other drivers I
get a response that the best driver is already loaded. The same thing
happens with the modem and printer drivers. It says the best possible is
already loaded, but I can't get any connectivity.

I must use Windows 98 to test educational products I am developing, so I
must stay with Windows 98 for this machine. Suggestions?

Joyce
7 answers Last reply
More about load drivers

    First thing that comes to mind to ask: Does your BIOS definitely support
    that size of drive? Next thing that occurs is to ask: Did your friend
    partition that drive into a small chunk for Win98? WIN98 will likely
    have all kinds of trouble with a single partition that size, and 8GB is
    the ideal maximum for a WIN98 OS partition, anyway.

    How any of that would cause the symptoms you're getting, I can't
    say--unless it's simply a case of not being able to find things with
    that drive's geometry--but then I'd assume the original installation
    would fail. Just thought I'd mention that drive size as being
    problematic. If you want to repartition without losing the installation
    (if it can be salvaged otherwise) try BootIt NG.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "hurchin" <hurchin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I had Windows 98 on my original hard drive. However, it started
    bringing up
    > the desktop then freezing. I could not remove Windows 98 and
    reinstall on
    > that drive so I replaced the drive and use my old one as a slave.
    >
    > My new main drive is a new Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160 GB hard drive. A
    > friend at work (IT type person) loaded my original Windows 98 disk on
    it.
    > However, neither they nor I could load any drivers. The best I can do
    for
    > the monitor is 16 colors at 640 X 480. When trying to load other
    drivers I
    > get a response that the best driver is already loaded. The same thing
    > happens with the modem and printer drivers. It says the best possible
    is
    > already loaded, but I can't get any connectivity.
    >
    > I must use Windows 98 to test educational products I am developing, so
    > must stay with Windows 98 for this machine. Suggestions?
    >
    > Joyce

    Aside from what Gary has brought up about the drive size, you are most likely not
    likely does not have the drivers, and is simply loading whatever generic driver it
    does have. You need to identify each of those [hardware items and then download
    drivers from the device manufacturers.

    Download Everest Home Edition on another computer and copy it to a CD a USB stick,
    then bring it to the problem computer and copy Everest to a folder on its hard
    drive, then run it. It will identify all your hardware, and you should be able to
    download drivers based on what Everest reports.
    Everest Home Edition:
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "hurchin" <hurchin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I had Windows 98 on my original hard drive. However, it started bringing up
    > the desktop then freezing. I could not remove Windows 98 and reinstall on
    > that drive so I replaced the drive and use my old one as a slave.
    >
    > My new main drive is a new Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160 GB hard drive. A
    > friend at work (IT type person) loaded my original Windows 98 disk on it.
    > However, neither they nor I could load any drivers. The best I can do for
    > the monitor is 16 colors at 640 X 480. When trying to load other drivers I
    > get a response that the best driver is already loaded. The same thing
    > happens with the modem and printer drivers. It says the best possible is
    > already loaded, but I can't get any connectivity.
    >
    > I must use Windows 98 to test educational products I am developing, so I
    > must stay with Windows 98 for this machine. Suggestions?
    >
    > Joyce

    None of the drivers for video, sound, network interface card, printer, or
    other devices were ever likely to be on the windows 98 cd.
    Either find the original install cds for those products and reinstall the
    hardware drivers, or goto the manufacturers web sites for each item of
    hardware, download the correct drivers for win98, reinstall the drivers for
    the hardware.
    "Best Driver" is only the best from the minimal set of drivers native to
    windows, it means you get to use the computer while you install the RIGHT
    driver.

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "hurchin" <hurchin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I had Windows 98 on my original hard drive. However, it started bringing
    up
    > the desktop then freezing. I could not remove Windows 98 and reinstall on
    > that drive so I replaced the drive and use my old one as a slave.
    >
    > My new main drive is a new Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160 GB hard drive. A
    > friend at work (IT type person) loaded my original Windows 98 disk on it.
    > However, neither they nor I could load any drivers. The best I can do for
    > the monitor is 16 colors at 640 X 480. When trying to load other drivers
    > get a response that the best driver is already loaded. The same thing
    > happens with the modem and printer drivers. It says the best possible is
    > already loaded, but I can't get any connectivity.
    >
    > I must use Windows 98 to test educational products I am developing, so I
    > must stay with Windows 98 for this machine. Suggestions?
    >
    > Joyce

    Attempts were made to install the drivers from the original system board
    installation disk and not just from the Windows98 disk. None of them would
    load as the message would read that the best driver was already loaded. The
    printer driver attemped load was made from the driver disk that came with the
    printer.

    Joyce

    "AlmostBob" wrote:

    > None of the drivers for video, sound, network interface card, printer, or
    > other devices were ever likely to be on the windows 98 cd.
    > Either find the original install cds for those products and reinstall the
    > hardware drivers, or goto the manufacturers web sites for each item of
    > hardware, download the correct drivers for win98, reinstall the drivers for
    > the hardware.
    > "Best Driver" is only the best from the minimal set of drivers native to
    > windows, it means you get to use the computer while you install the RIGHT
    > driver.
    >
    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
    >
    > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > _
    > "hurchin" <hurchin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I had Windows 98 on my original hard drive. However, it started bringing
    > up
    > > the desktop then freezing. I could not remove Windows 98 and reinstall on
    > > that drive so I replaced the drive and use my old one as a slave.
    > >
    > > My new main drive is a new Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160 GB hard drive. A
    > > friend at work (IT type person) loaded my original Windows 98 disk on it.
    > > However, neither they nor I could load any drivers. The best I can do for
    > > the monitor is 16 colors at 640 X 480. When trying to load other drivers
    > > get a response that the best driver is already loaded. The same thing
    > > happens with the modem and printer drivers. It says the best possible is
    > > already loaded, but I can't get any connectivity.
    > >
    > > I must use Windows 98 to test educational products I am developing, so I
    > > must stay with Windows 98 for this machine. Suggestions?
    > >
    > > Joyce

    Hi Gary

    The info I have is that W98 will not support that size drive regardless of
    how it is partitioned. I was told that even if the partition is below 137
    gb, if the partition is filled with data, there is a good chance data will
    be lost. Have you heard differently?

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    > First thing that comes to mind to ask: Does your BIOS definitely support
    > that size of drive? Next thing that occurs is to ask: Did your friend
    > partition that drive into a small chunk for Win98? WIN98 will likely
    > have all kinds of trouble with a single partition that size, and 8GB is
    > the ideal maximum for a WIN98 OS partition, anyway.
    >
    > How any of that would cause the symptoms you're getting, I can't
    > say--unless it's simply a case of not being able to find things with
    > that drive's geometry--but then I'd assume the original installation
    > would fail. Just thought I'd mention that drive size as being
    > problematic. If you want to repartition without losing the installation
    > (if it can be salvaged otherwise) try BootIt NG.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "hurchin" <hurchin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I had Windows 98 on my original hard drive. However, it started
    > bringing up
    >> the desktop then freezing. I could not remove Windows 98 and
    > reinstall on
    >> that drive so I replaced the drive and use my old one as a slave.
    >>
    >> My new main drive is a new Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160 GB hard drive. A
    >> friend at work (IT type person) loaded my original Windows 98 disk on
    > it.
    >> However, neither they nor I could load any drivers. The best I can do
    > for
    >> the monitor is 16 colors at 640 X 480. When trying to load other
    > drivers I
    >> get a response that the best driver is already loaded. The same thing
    >> happens with the modem and printer drivers. It says the best possible
    > is
    >> already loaded, but I can't get any connectivity.
    >>
    >> I must use Windows 98 to test educational products I am developing, so
    >> must stay with Windows 98 for this machine. Suggestions?
    >>
    >> Joyce

    No, I haven't, Ron. Fact is, I can't keep the size issues straight
    myself. I *think* you're right, and I was thinking along the same lines,
    just hedging. I just don't know for certain how hard that 137 GB limit
    is.

    And right now I'm in no shape to research it, being on the tail end of a
    three day marathon ending with a publication going to the printer this
    morning via FTP. Waiting to hear if the files arrived in good shape
    before I go to bed, probably until tomorrow afternoon.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Gary
    >
    > The info I have is that W98 will not support that size drive
    regardless of
    > how it is partitioned. I was told that even if the partition is below
    137
    > gb, if the partition is filled with data, there is a good chance data
    will
    > be lost. Have you heard differently?
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > Knowledge Base Info:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo

    > > First thing that comes to mind to ask: Does your BIOS definitely
    support
    > > that size of drive? Next thing that occurs is to ask: Did your
    friend
    > > partition that drive into a small chunk for Win98? WIN98 will likely
    > > have all kinds of trouble with a single partition that size, and 8GB
    is
    > > the ideal maximum for a WIN98 OS partition, anyway.
    > >
    > > How any of that would cause the symptoms you're getting, I can't
    > > say--unless it's simply a case of not being able to find things with
    > > that drive's geometry--but then I'd assume the original installation
    > > would fail. Just thought I'd mention that drive size as being
    > > problematic. If you want to repartition without losing the
    installation
    > > (if it can be salvaged otherwise) try BootIt NG.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "hurchin" <hurchin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I had Windows 98 on my original hard drive. However, it started
    > > bringing up
    > >> the desktop then freezing. I could not remove Windows 98 and
    > > reinstall on
    > >> that drive so I replaced the drive and use my old one as a slave.
    > >>
    > >> My new main drive is a new Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160 GB hard drive.
    > >> friend at work (IT type person) loaded my original Windows 98 disk
    on
    > > it.
    > >> However, neither they nor I could load any drivers. The best I can
    do
    > > for
    > >> the monitor is 16 colors at 640 X 480. When trying to load other
    > > drivers I
    > >> get a response that the best driver is already loaded. The same
    thing
    > >> happens with the modem and printer drivers. It says the best
    possible
    > > is
    > >> already loaded, but I can't get any connectivity.
    > >>
    > >> I must use Windows 98 to test educational products I am developing,
    so
    > >> must stay with Windows 98 for this machine. Suggestions?
    > >>
    > >> Joyce

    How are you trying to load drivers,
    the right way is to insert the cd and run the install program
    the wrong way is through the applet in control panel or 'my computer'
    if done the wrong way the drivers will not load

    --

> [...]
    reinstall on
    > > > that drive so I replaced the drive and use my old one as a slave.
    > > >
    > > > My new main drive is a new Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160 GB hard drive. A
    > > > friend at work (IT type person) loaded my original Windows 98 disk on
    it.
    > > > However, neither they nor I could load any drivers. The best I can do
    for
    > > > the monitor is 16 colors at 640 X 480. When trying to load other
    drivers
    > > > get a response that the best driver is already loaded. The same thing
    > > > happens with the modem and printer drivers. It says the best possible
    is
    > > > already loaded, but I can't get any connectivity.
    > > >
    > > > I must use Windows 98 to test educational products I am developing, so
    > > > must stay with Windows 98 for this machine. Suggestions?

Windows 98 Drivers Windows