Using BING to partition copy only the area with data?

This may be a bit naive, but I'm trying to preserve my folder and subfolder
dates in this specific quest here. So I want to use BING for a partition
copy, as follows:

Here is my situation: I have a 40 GB FAT32 drive, split into two IDENTICAL
size partitions of 20 GB each (give or take).

I have some stuff on the C partition that I want to copy (exactly, including
the folder and subfolder dates) over to the D partition, but I also want to
leave some of the stuff I now have on the D partition untouched (and there
is plenty of room for this, even if I copy ALL of C's folders and files,
which I'm sure I would have to do in partition copy).

Am I correct in understanding this is NOT possible at the (BING) level?
That if I want to copy the C partition data (even all of it, which is about
10 GB worth) to the D partition, preserving folder dates, it's an all or
nothing proposition, and everything now on the D partition (about 4 GB) will
be obliterated in the process?

You have it right. BING can't do what you're thinking of doing.

What is it, precisely, that you want to do? Make a backup as an Image? I
*think* you can store an Image file on partitioned space, but
regardless, it's inaccessible until you restore it to free space.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> This may be a bit naive, but I'm trying to preserve my folder and
subfolder
> dates in this specific quest here. So I want to use BING for a
partition
> copy, as follows:
>
> Here is my situation: I have a 40 GB FAT32 drive, split into two
IDENTICAL
> size partitions of 20 GB each (give or take).
>
> I have some stuff on the C partition that I want to copy (exactly,
including
> the folder and subfolder dates) over to the D partition, but I also
want to
> leave some of the stuff I now have on the D partition untouched (and
there
> is plenty of room for this, even if I copy ALL of C's folders and
files,
> which I'm sure I would have to do in partition copy).
>
> Am I correct in understanding this is NOT possible at the (BING)
level?
> That if I want to copy the C partition data (even all of it, which is
about
> 10 GB worth) to the D partition, preserving folder dates, it's an all
or
> nothing proposition, and everything now on the D partition (about 4
GB) will
> be obliterated in the process?

want to do is move some of my old system folders over to the D partition,
preserving their date and time stamps, so that I retain a timeline on those
files and folders.

Let me explain what I do here, as a matter of practice. Perhaps that will
help....

On the few occasions where I've had to do a clean install, I always save (by
renaming) the complete \windows and \program files folders on the same
drive, and keep them there for a VERY VERY useful reference. (I don't
format the disk, but it's still a clean install).

But I don't want these on the C partition anymore - I'd rather free up some
space there, and move em over to the D partition, preserving all the folder
and file timestamps. I really find that time and datestamp history VERY
useful after I've done a clean reinstall, and am reinstalling all of my
programs)

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> You have it right. BING can't do what you're thinking of doing.
>
> What is it, precisely, that you want to do? Make a backup as an Image? I
> *think* you can store an Image file on partitioned space, but
> regardless, it's inaccessible until you restore it to free space.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> This may be a bit naive, but I'm trying to preserve my folder and
subfolder
>> dates in this specific quest here. So I want to use BING for a
partition
>> copy, as follows:
>>
>> Here is my situation: I have a 40 GB FAT32 drive, split into two
IDENTICAL
>> size partitions of 20 GB each (give or take).
>>
>> I have some stuff on the C partition that I want to copy (exactly,
including
>> the folder and subfolder dates) over to the D partition, but I also want
>> leave some of the stuff I now have on the D partition untouched (and
there
>> is plenty of room for this, even if I copy ALL of C's folders and files,
>> which I'm sure I would have to do in partition copy).
>>
>> Am I correct in understanding this is NOT possible at the (BING) level?
>> That if I want to copy the C partition data (even all of it, which is
about
>> 10 GB worth) to the D partition, preserving folder dates, it's an all or
>> nothing proposition, and everything now on the D partition (about 4 GB)
will
>> be obliterated in the process?

Well, Date Modified doesn't change for files that you copy from one
place to another, but it does for folders. Frankly, while I, too, find
Date Modified quite useful for files, I've never considered it important
for folders. One thing that you might consider is a script that would
read the Date Modified for each folder you intend to copy, and then
append that date value to the folder name. Could even do the copying
using that same script.

You say that maintaining this info is VERY useful, but you don't say
why, so it's hard to advise in more detail.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
All I
> [...]
> including
> >> the folder and subfolder dates) over to the D partition, but I also
want
> >> leave some of the stuff I now have on the D partition untouched
(and
> there
> >> is plenty of room for this, even if I copy ALL of C's folders and
files,
> >> which I'm sure I would have to do in partition copy).
> >>
> >> Am I correct in understanding this is NOT possible at the (BING)
level?
> >> That if I want to copy the C partition data (even all of it, which
is
> about
> >> 10 GB worth) to the D partition, preserving folder dates, it's an
all or
> >> nothing proposition, and everything now on the D partition (about 4

The all or nothing is correct; however, when you shoot an image, you must
have free (unpartitioned) space to paste it to so you would have to reduce
the size of your D: partition.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Well, Date Modified doesn't change for files that you copy from one
> place to another, but it does for folders. Frankly, while I, too, find
> Date Modified quite useful for files, I've never considered it important
> for folders. One thing that you might consider is a script that would
> read the Date Modified for each folder you intend to copy, and then
> append that date value to the folder name. Could even do the copying
> using that same script.
>
> You say that maintaining this info is VERY useful, but you don't say
> why, so it's hard to advise in more detail.

Because I am pretty diligent about issues arriving after the installation of
some programs, and the time history helps. I like to know when I
previously installed things - it comes in handy sometimes, especially when
some weird configuration problems arrise after a new installation.

You would think *by now* there would be SOME utility program available that
would copy folders and files *preserving all date and time stamps*
(including folders) in Win98SE.

As I understand it, it is difficult to do this in Win9x (like there aren't
any such programatic windows "service calls" available.

You know, a program could be a bit creative, and even (temporarily) reset
the date of the computer to create (mimic) each source folder datestamp, and
then reset it back again before terminating (IF that was necessary).

Have you found any utilities that WILL preserve folder dates (for Win9x)?

> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> want to do is move some of my old system folders over to the D partition,
>> preserving their date and time stamps, so that I retain a timeline on
those
>> files and folders.
>>
>> Let me explain what I do here, as a matter of practice. Perhaps that
will
>> help....
>>
>> On the few occasions where I've had to do a clean install, I always save
(by
>> renaming) the complete \windows and \program files folders on the same
>> drive, and keep them there for a VERY VERY useful reference. (I don't
>> format the disk, but it's still a clean install).
>>
>> But I don't want these on the C partition anymore - I'd rather free up
some
>> space there, and move em over to the D partition, preserving all the
folder
>> and file timestamps. I really find that time and datestamp history VERY
>> useful after I've done a clean reinstall, and am reinstalling all of my
>> programs)
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> You have it right. BING can't do what you're thinking of doing.
>>>
>>> What is it, precisely, that you want to do? Make a backup as an Image? I
>>> *think* you can store an Image file on partitioned space, but
>>> regardless, it's inaccessible until you restore it to free space.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message

C's

Not using BING right now, but that sounds correct... if you are doing a copy of the
partition, it will replace whatever is there now with the copy. Why not just make
an image? BING will create an image, as will Terabyteunlimited's standalone Image
for Windows. It can create an image file that can be saved anywhere there is room,
just like any other file.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Bill in Co. wrote:
> All I want to do is move some of my old system folders over to the D
> partition, preserving their date and time stamps, so that I retain a
> timeline on those files and folders.

Can't think of an app for that but if a *list* of the folders and their
creation (not mod)dates would help there is FolderReport. The list can
be in various formats and could be stored wherever you move them.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

TNX, I'll check it out. But I'm still looking a utility that does
something as basic as what I asked: namely, copy folders and files while
preserving the source folder and file dates, which is what any decent copy
utility SHOULD do.

Bill in Co. wrote:
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>> Well, Date Modified doesn't change for files that you copy from one
>> place to another, but it does for folders. Frankly, while I, too,
>> find Date Modified quite useful for files, I've never considered it
>> important for folders. One thing that you might consider is a script
>> that would read the Date Modified for each folder you intend to
>> copy, and then append that date value to the folder name. Could even
>> do the copying using that same script.
>>
>> You say that maintaining this info is VERY useful, but you don't say
>> why, so it's hard to advise in more detail.
>
> Because I am pretty diligent about issues arriving after the
> installation of some programs, and the time history helps. I like
> to know when I previously installed things - it comes in handy
> sometimes, especially when some weird configuration problems arrise
> after a new installation.

<yawn> Use TUN and you will always have the install dates at your
finger tips.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> Well, Date Modified doesn't change for files that you copy from one
>>> place to another, but it does for folders. Frankly, while I, too,
>>> find Date Modified quite useful for files, I've never considered it
>>> important for folders. One thing that you might consider is a script
>>> that would read the Date Modified for each folder you intend to
>>> copy, and then append that date value to the folder name. Could even
>>> do the copying using that same script.
>>>
>>> You say that maintaining this info is VERY useful, but you don't say
>>> why, so it's hard to advise in more detail.
>>
>> Because I am pretty diligent about issues arriving after the
>> installation of some programs, and the time history helps. I like
>> to know when I previously installed things - it comes in handy
>> sometimes, especially when some weird configuration problems arrise
>> after a new installation.
>
> <yawn> Use TUN and you will always have the install dates at your
> finger tips.

Heck, if all you want is your install dates you could just write the
info down. Spreadsheet preferred, you can sort.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I want the dates on all folders and all files in the windows and program
files folders for reference. Would you want to write those down?

Bill in Co. wrote:
> I want the dates on all folders and all files in the windows and
> program files folders for reference. Would you want to write
> those down?

No, but I would (and have, pre-TUN) write down program install dates
which seemed to be what you wanted.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Bill in Co. wrote:
> TNX, I'll check it out. But I'm still looking a utility that does
> something as basic as what I asked: namely, copy folders and files
> while preserving the source folder and file dates, which is what any
> decent copy utility SHOULD do.

No it isn't. Copy is one thing, replicate (or "image") is another. If
the destination doesn't *have* the folder you are copying a folder has
to be - guess what - created.

You could get around that if you copied over any of the folders you
periodically update when you create the source folder(s). The date
would be correct, time a bit off.

What you want a copy program to do could easily lead to chaos which
could lead to confusion which could lead to whoops...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> TNX, I'll check it out. But I'm still looking a utility that does
>> something as basic as what I asked: namely, copy folders and files
>> while preserving the source folder and file dates, which is what any
>> decent copy utility SHOULD do.
>
> No it isn't. Copy is one thing, replicate (or "image") is another. If
> the destination doesn't *have* the folder you are copying a folder has
> to be - guess what - created.
>
> You could get around that if you copied over any of the folders you
> periodically update when you create the source folder(s). The date
> would be correct, time a bit off.
>
> What you want a copy program to do could easily lead to chaos which
> could lead to confusion which could lead to whoops...

Not to me. To me, it would do what it's *supposed* to do: make a perfect
copy. As it is, it does NOT.

> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Someone once gave me a program to do what you want:
The program was called: TimeSyncDir
written by James Minn as a personal home type project.
It was suppose to work on W9x, but I never got a change to use it though
because I quickly realized and just booted to WXP because when using xcopy on
that OS it does preserve folder dates as well as file dates. I perfectly
understand why you like to keep original dates on folder, I was totally
intent on always doing that myself and settled for nothing less.

Of course you always could do is just re-image your current C:\ directly over
to your spare drive keeping All dates exact, and then actually be able to
boot as a working OS for testing and saftey, and then boot back and forth to
it at will.
However the way you have your partitions setup won't support that since you
would need another Primary to do that. I know I mentioned to your before
that it would better if your HD is partitioned ideally, whereas you can make
Three partitions @ 7GB (4k efficient clusters) primary bootable partitions
for 3 OS's and then partition the rest to a Logical partition for your
storage files, that way you can use BING, TrueImage, or DriveImage not only
to save a backup partition of C:\ to your Storage partition for safety, but
also then actually Restore that same C:\ partition to D:\ as well, or E, and
in that way you will be able to not only boot from your current W98SE, but as
well boot to the one you have on D:\, and you could even put another OS on
the open left Primary - anyway back to your original request, this way when
you restore you current partition to D:\ it will have all the original folder
& file dates - actually everything byte for byte the same, but give you
other flexibility and options you could only dream of.

Rick

Bill in Co. wrote:
> This may be a bit naive, but I'm trying to preserve my folder and subfolder
> dates in this specific quest here. So I want to use BING for a
> partition copy, as follows:
>
> Here is my situation: I have a 40 GB FAT32 drive, split into two
> IDENTICAL size partitions of 20 GB each (give or take).
>
> I have some stuff on the C partition that I want to copy (exactly,
> including the folder and subfolder dates) over to the D partition, but I
> also want to leave some of the stuff I now have on the D partition
> untouched (and there is plenty of room for this, even if I copy ALL of C's
> folders and files, which I'm sure I would have to do in partition copy).
>
> Am I correct in understanding this is NOT possible at the (BING) level?
> That if I want to copy the C partition data (even all of it, which is about
> 10 GB worth) to the D partition, preserving folder dates, it's an all or
> nothing proposition, and everything now on the D partition (about 4 GB)
> will be obliterated in the process?

I wonder if there is an option in xcopy or (xcopy32??) running in a dos
shell to copy all the folders and subfolders and long file names AND
preserve the original folder and file dates??

I'm guessing NOT, right?

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> [...]
>> partition copy, as follows:
>>
>> Here is my situation: I have a 40 GB FAT32 drive, split into two
>> IDENTICAL size partitions of 20 GB each (give or take).
>>
>> I have some stuff on the C partition that I want to copy (exactly,
>> including the folder and subfolder dates) over to the D partition, but I
>> also want to leave some of the stuff I now have on the D partition
>> untouched (and there is plenty of room for this, even if I copy ALL of
C's
>> folders and files, which I'm sure I would have to do in partition copy).
>>
>> Am I correct in understanding this is NOT possible at the (BING) level?
>> That if I want to copy the C partition data (even all of it, which is
about
>> 10 GB worth) to the D partition, preserving folder dates, it's an all or
>> nothing proposition, and everything now on the D partition (about 4 GB)

On Mon, 2 May 2005 15:38:40 -0600, "Bill in Co."
<not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I want the dates on all folders and all files in the windows and program
>files folders for reference. Would you want to write those down?

Bill,

Maybe look into Ghost, as I recall it makes a byte for byte copy
into an image file. The files are accessible using Ghost Explorer.
Seems that a byte for byte copy should do it exactly and retain
folder dates. The image file creation should not disturb other data
on the partition as long as it fits.

I have Ghost but haven't used it lately so maybe this is not what
you need. Maybe worth checking out though, someone here should know.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

xxcopy c:\ d:\ /clone
www.xxcopy.com

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
> [...]
> will
> >> help....
> >>
> >> On the few occasions where I've had to do a clean install, I always
save
> (by
> >> renaming) the complete \windows and \program files folders on the same
> >> drive, and keep them there for a VERY VERY useful reference. (I
don't
> >> format the disk, but it's still a clean install).
> >>
> >> But I don't want these on the C partition anymore - I'd rather free up
> some
> >> space there, and move em over to the D partition, preserving all the
> folder
> >> and file timestamps. I really find that time and datestamp history
VERY
> >> useful after I've done a clean reinstall, and am reinstalling all of my

http://www.winzip.com/
WinZip does that, preserving all dates.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| This may be a bit naive, but I'm trying to preserve my folder and
subfolder
| dates in this specific quest here. So I want to use BING for a
partition
| copy, as follows:
|
| Here is my situation: I have a 40 GB FAT32 drive, split into two
IDENTICAL
| size partitions of 20 GB each (give or take).
|
| I have some stuff on the C partition that I want to copy (exactly,
including
| the folder and subfolder dates) over to the D partition, but I also
want to
| leave some of the stuff I now have on the D partition untouched (and
there
| is plenty of room for this, even if I copy ALL of C's folders and
files,
| which I'm sure I would have to do in partition copy).
|
| Am I correct in understanding this is NOT possible at the (BING)
level?
| That if I want to copy the C partition data (even all of it, which is
about
| 10 GB worth) to the D partition, preserving folder dates, it's an all
or
| nothing proposition, and everything now on the D partition (about 4
GB) will
| be obliterated in the process?

Winzip copies folders and preserves the original folder dates in the copied
folders? Are you sure?

PCR wrote:
> http://www.winzip.com/
> WinZip does that, preserving all dates.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> This may be a bit naive, but I'm trying to preserve my folder and
subfolder
>> dates in this specific quest here. So I want to use BING for a
partition
>> copy, as follows:
>>
>> Here is my situation: I have a 40 GB FAT32 drive, split into two
IDENTICAL
>> size partitions of 20 GB each (give or take).
>>
>> I have some stuff on the C partition that I want to copy (exactly,
including
>> the folder and subfolder dates) over to the D partition, but I also want
>> leave some of the stuff I now have on the D partition untouched (and
there
>> is plenty of room for this, even if I copy ALL of C's folders and files,
>> which I'm sure I would have to do in partition copy).
>>
>> Am I correct in understanding this is NOT possible at the (BING) level?
>> That if I want to copy the C partition data (even all of it, which is
about
>> 10 GB worth) to the D partition, preserving folder dates, it's an all or
>> nothing proposition, and everything now on the D partition (about 4 GB)
will
>> be obliterated in the process?

Yes, I just tried it. XCOPY likely can do it to.

--
| Winzip copies folders and preserves the original folder dates in the
copied
| folders? Are you sure?
|
| PCR wrote:
| > http://www.winzip.com/
| > WinZip does that, preserving all dates.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| >> This may be a bit naive, but I'm trying to preserve my folder and
| subfolder
| >> dates in this specific quest here. So I want to use BING for a
| partition
| >> copy, as follows:
| >>
| >> Here is my situation: I have a 40 GB FAT32 drive, split into two
| IDENTICAL
| >> size partitions of 20 GB each (give or take).
| >>
| >> I have some stuff on the C partition that I want to copy (exactly,
| including
| >> the folder and subfolder dates) over to the D partition, but I also
want
| >> leave some of the stuff I now have on the D partition untouched
(and
| there
| >> is plenty of room for this, even if I copy ALL of C's folders and
files,
| >> which I'm sure I would have to do in partition copy).
| >>
| >> Am I correct in understanding this is NOT possible at the (BING)
level?
| >> That if I want to copy the C partition data (even all of it, which
is
| about
| >> 10 GB worth) to the D partition, preserving folder dates, it's an
all or
| >> nothing proposition, and everything now on the D partition (about 4
GB)
| will
| >> be obliterated in the process?

I've got both of them. I already had Winzip but just got an updated
xxcopy. This will be interesting. If anybody's interested in the
results, just let me know (haven't tried either yet)

Never thought of Winzip as being a "folder copy" utility though. Just a
zip and unzip utility.

PCR wrote:
> Yes, I just tried it. XCOPY likely can do it to.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Winzip copies folders and preserves the original folder dates in the
copied
>> folders? Are you sure?
>>
>> PCR wrote:
>>> http://www.winzip.com/
>>> WinZip does that, preserving all dates.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Thanks or Good Luck,
>>> There may be humor in this post, and,
>>> Naturally, you will not sue,
>>> should things get worse after this,
>>> PCR
>>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message

C's

Why not just post the results here, Bill?

--

> I've got both of them. I already had Winzip but just got an updated
> xxcopy. This will be interesting. If anybody's interested in the
> results, just let me know (haven't tried either yet)
>
> Never thought of Winzip as being a "folder copy" utility though.
Just a
> zip and unzip utility.
>
> PCR wrote:
> > Yes, I just tried it. XCOPY likely can do it to.
> >

> > --
> > Thanks or Good Luck,
> > There may be humor in this post, and,
> > Naturally, you will not sue,
> > should things get worse after this,
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> Winzip copies folders and preserves the original folder dates in
the
> copied
> >> folders? Are you sure?

> subfolder

ALL of
> C's
> copy).

level?
> about
> or

Oops! WinZip doesn't seem to actually be preserving folder dates, after
all. Sorry about that!