index.dat

Greetings all,

With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any good
reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the contents
of the following Windows folders:
Cookies (including index.dat)
History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
Internet Logs
Temp
Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)

Rednelle
31 answers Last reply
More about index

    No, nothing wrong with that. The typical method is to use DELTREE
    command to dump the folders entirely.

    But I usually don't consider those procedures to be worth much except
    when something suggests that they're causing problems. The one most
    prone to causing problems is the TIF index.dat, and a better way to deal
    with that particular problem is by using CacheSentry.
    http://www.enigmaticsoftware.com/

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any
    good
    > reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
    contents
    > of the following Windows folders:
    > Cookies (including index.dat)
    > History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    > Internet Logs
    > Temp
    > Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    >
    > Rednelle

    I've been using index.dat suite for some time now and find it to be a slick,
    easy way to view and/or empty index.dat files. It's freeware with no
    baggage AFAIK.

    http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite

    Is there any good reason to do so or to do it in that manner?

    Take Out the Trash!
    http://aumha.org/a/health.htm
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Rednelle wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any good
    > reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the contents
    > of the following Windows folders:
    > Cookies (including index.dat)
    > History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    > Internet Logs
    > Temp
    > Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    >
    > Rednelle

    (And perhaps run smartdrv first. Otherwise you may be waiting awhile at
    the DOS prompt).

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > No, nothing wrong with that. The typical method is to use DELTREE
    > command to dump the folders entirely.
    >
    > But I usually don't consider those procedures to be worth much except
    > when something suggests that they're causing problems. The one most
    > prone to causing problems is the TIF index.dat, and a better way to deal
    > with that particular problem is by using CacheSentry.
    > http://www.enigmaticsoftware.com/
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings all,
    >>
    >> With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any good
    >> reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
    contents
    >> of the following Windows folders:
    >> Cookies (including index.dat)
    >> History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    >> Internet Logs
    >> Temp
    >> Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    >>
    >> Rednelle

    If you empty the TIF cache, first, it's no great hardship. But yeah,
    it's always smart to run SMARTDRV before playing in pure MS DOS, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > (And perhaps run smartdrv first. Otherwise you may be waiting awhile
    at
    > the DOS prompt).
    >
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > No, nothing wrong with that. The typical method is to use DELTREE
    > > command to dump the folders entirely.
    > >
    > > But I usually don't consider those procedures to be worth much
    except
    > > when something suggests that they're causing problems. The one most
    > > prone to causing problems is the TIF index.dat, and a better way to
    deal
    > > with that particular problem is by using CacheSentry.
    > > http://www.enigmaticsoftware.com/
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > >> Greetings all,
    > >>
    > >> With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any
    good
    > >> reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
    > contents
    > >> of the following Windows folders:
    > >> Cookies (including index.dat)
    > >> History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    > >> Internet Logs
    > >> Temp
    > >> Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    > >>
    > >> Rednelle

    True. But he might forget to (I've been known to do that too)!

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > If you empty the TIF cache, first, it's no great hardship. But yeah,
    > it's always smart to run SMARTDRV before playing in pure MS DOS, <s>.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> (And perhaps run smartdrv first. Otherwise you may be waiting awhile at
    >> the DOS prompt).
    >>
    >> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >>> No, nothing wrong with that. The typical method is to use DELTREE
    >>> command to dump the folders entirely.
    >>>
    >>> But I usually don't consider those procedures to be worth much except
    >>> when something suggests that they're causing problems. The one most
    >>> prone to causing problems is the TIF index.dat, and a better way to deal
    >>> with that particular problem is by using CacheSentry.
    >>> http://www.enigmaticsoftware.com/
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Gary S. Terhune
    >>> MS MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>>
    >>> "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    (1) Delete the contents of C:\Windows\TEMP. Delete contents only.

    Under normal circumstances, C:\WINDOWS\TEMP can be cleared of
    files/folders after a fresh boot. You need the fresh boot, because
    something may be sitting there, waiting to "complete" an install. You
    will likely have seen a message about it, though. Anyway, you should
    know whether you've installed something since boot. Now, some files may
    return after the delete. "WebPoolFileFile" is one. That will come back
    next boot or when you run McAfee.

    I have seen one poster who objected, saying one should browse through
    those files, looking for .log's. He said it might be interesting to see
    whether there is an error message or something inside. It was too late
    for me by then.

    Naturally, if you have actually installed something into TEMP, there
    might be a Registry connection to it. Those, you need to un/re-install
    elsewhere. Finally, I even saw a poster who had system files in there,
    perhaps it was the Temporary Internet Files in there. That shouldn't be!
    Well, to be certain, is C:\Windows\TEMP mentioned in any of these
    Registry keys?

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
    ll Folders
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use
    r Shell Folders

    (2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"

    These were your Temporary Internet Files, which, since V4, has an
    involvement with Windows Update. It's main purpose is to hold
    bits/pieces of sites you visit, to make it quicker to load next visit.
    Also, it is a work area for OE6. Naturally, TIFs will grow back. It's
    size is controllable by the slider & input box under the Settings
    button.

    (3) Most of the following shall never return again, and were work files,
    pre-V4:
    (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
    "iuhist.xml" file.

    (4) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q238165
    Deleting APPLOG Content
    (a) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options,
    View tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
    extensions..." too.
    (b) "START, Find, Files or Folders, Applog"
    (c) Double-click the Applog folder to open it.
    (d) On the Edit menu, click Select all.
    (e) On the File menu, click Delete, and then click Yes when you are
    prompted to confirm the deletion.

    APPLOG is used by Defrag to optimize the location of files on your
    partition. (Some files in it seem extraordinarily large.) It will be
    recreated and the contents will accumulate, as the second time any app
    is run it generates an .LGC in that folder. (Optlog.txt, in that folder,
    will be recreated, when next you Defrag. Save the old one only to retain
    a record of every app that has run, at least twice, to the date of your
    last Defrag.)

    (5) "START, Find, F/F, fff*". Got any, with a name that is tons long?
    Then...

    .......Quote.........
    You find that you are accumulating a lot of temporary files in your
    Windows directory that start with fff and have a .tmp extension, similar
    to this:

    fff137e3_{3BC6A120-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp
    fff137e3_{3BC6A121-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp

    These files are created by a bug in certain versions of MDM.EXE....two
    every time it is loaded.
    See here:
    OFF2000: Files Whose Name Begins with 'fff' Appear in Windows Folder"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221438

    OFF: How to Turn Off Machine Debug Manager, Mdm.exe
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321410

    MDM is loaded with programs such as Office, and Microsoft Script
    Debugger.
    The fix is to prevent it from loading, by renaming the file, and
    removing its reference in the startup group.

    Rename MDM.EXE to MDM.EX_ or MDM.BAD, or something like that.
    Look for any reference to MDM.EXE in the Startup folders:
    C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    and in the registry run key:
    and delete it.

    Then delete all those fff___.tmp files.
    Note that if you reinstall any of the programs that added MDM.EXE, you
    may get it loaded back, and will have to disable it again.

    ....glen
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    .......End....of quote.......

    (6) Also, do you have SpyBot? Then...
    "START, Find, F/F, 'Checks*.*, Fixes*.*'" (No quotes; yes comma). If you
    have a ton of these, then delete them. Go to the Settings screen of
    SpyBot, & turn off both the Checks & Fixes logs.

    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's HDValet can help with that. It is configurable,
    & installs with pre-configured suggestions. By design, it will not
    delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not delete
    files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own log
    & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    | Greetings all,
    |
    | With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any
    good
    | reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
    contents
    | of the following Windows folders:
    | Cookies (including index.dat)
    | History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    | Internet Logs
    | Temp
    | Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    |
    | Rednelle

    Run with scissors, too, while you're at it.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    PCR wrote:
> [...]
    > SpyBot, & turn off both the Checks & Fixes logs.
    >

    > http://www.pcmag.com/ 's HDValet can help with that. It is configurable,
    > & installs with pre-configured suggestions. By design, it will not
    > delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not delete
    > files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own log
    > & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.
    >

    > > Greetings all,
    > >
    > > With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any good
    > > reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
    > > contents of the following Windows folders:
    > > Cookies (including index.dat)
    > > History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    > > Internet Logs
    > > Temp
    > > Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)

    Well, *somebody's* gone and hidden (or lost) all my sharp-pointed
    scissors! All I can find are these blunt-nosed things.

    It's just no fun anymore!

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
    configurable,
    > > & installs with pre-configured suggestions. By design, it will not
    > > delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not
    delete
    > > files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own
    log
    > > & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.
    > >

    > > > Greetings all,
    > > >
    > > > With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there
    any good
    > > > reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
    > > > contents of the following Windows folders:
    > > > Cookies (including index.dat)
    > > > History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    > > > Internet Logs
    > > > Temp
    > > > Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)

    Meaning? Those are safe deletes, aren't they?

    --
> [...]
    configurable,
    | > & installs with pre-configured suggestions. By design, it will not
    | > delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not
    delete
    | > files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own
    log
    | > & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.
    | >

    | > > Greetings all,
    | > >
    | > > With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there
    any good
    | > > reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
    | > > contents of the following Windows folders:
    | > > Cookies (including index.dat)
    | > > History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    | > > Internet Logs
    | > > Temp
    | > > Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)

    Thanks guys.

    Forget isn't / wasn't the real problem; simply I did not know it is smart to
    run SMARTDRV before delving into DOS.
    But I do now. Thanks again.

    > True. But he might forget to (I've been known to do that too)!
    >
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > If you empty the TIF cache, first, it's no great hardship. But yeah,
    > > it's always smart to run SMARTDRV before playing in pure MS DOS, <s>.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >> (And perhaps run smartdrv first. Otherwise you may be waiting awhile
    at
    > >> the DOS prompt).

    > good
    > contents

    SMARTDRV is *really* helpful - but only IF you are DELTREEing something with
    a LOT of files in it. If you have already cleared out the TIF in IE, it
    may not make a huge difference, but one time I forgot to do that (but I did
    remember to use smartdrv), and at least I wasn't sitting at the dos prompt
    very long that time!

    But there have been a couple of other times where I forgot, and I was
    staring at the dos prompt for quite awhile. :-)

    Rednelle wrote:
    > Thanks guys.
    >
    > Forget isn't / wasn't the real problem; simply I did not know it is smart
    > run SMARTDRV before delving into DOS.
    > But I do now. Thanks again.
    >

    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> True. But he might forget to (I've been known to do that too)!
    >>
    >> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >>> If you empty the TIF cache, first, it's no great hardship. But yeah,
    >>> it's always smart to run SMARTDRV before playing in pure MS DOS, <s>.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Gary S. Terhune
    >>> MS MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>>
    >>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    Just FYI. Only ran that once in 6 years, (Aug. 2001)
    Just to try but I will never do it again unless I have a problem.
    Took too long to undo being a stranger and reset everything.
    I did it for my daughter for a specific reason:
    To get rid of porn sites my grandson visited.
    So no harm but seems not needed unless a problem.
    --
    mae

    "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    | Greetings all,
    |
    | With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any good
    | reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the contents
    | of the following Windows folders:
    | Cookies (including index.dat)
    | History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    | Internet Logs
    | Temp
    | Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
    |
    | Rednelle

    Am I missing something here? It seems like everyone is making such a big
    deal out of emptying the index.dat files and other hard to get at stuff when
    it is such a simple, straight forward task with the index.dat suite I
    referenced earlier -- no manual SMARTDRV risky stuff for us ordinary users.
    It's automated and it works!

    Here's what the index.dat suite will do for you:

    "Index.dat Suite is a rather unique program that allows you not only to
    delete the index.dat files, temporary internet files, temp files, cookies
    and history, but it also allows you to view the index.dat files on your
    system. Index.dat Suite's current features include;"

    o View and delete index.dat files
    o View and delete Temporary Internet Files (TIF)
    o View and delete Cookies
    o View and delete History
    o View and delete Temp files
    o View and delete Recent Documents
    o Delete Typed URL's
    o Delete Prefetch folder contents
    o Auto-generation of batch file to assist in deleting the index.dat files in
    DOS.
    o Optional add to RunOnce registry key
    o Optional deletion of swap file (9x users only)
    o Optional defrag after file deletion
    o Full application logging

    And NO, I don't have any relationship with the guys who supply this freeware
    program. I just know it has worked without any problem for the year or so
    that I have been using it.

    Again, the URL is:

    http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite

    Seems like a lot of extra effort to download, install and maintain a
    program for what should be only very rare need. Only IE's caching really
    has any problems, and most of those have been repaired, for the most
    part. True, when you empty the TIF or Cookie cache, the index.dat files
    don't disappear or even shrink, but the records have been, for the most
    part, zeroed out. Still, if IE's cache is misbehaving, the best answer
    is to use CacheSentry.

    Otherwise, the whole issue is much ado about nothing. Usually, the only
    tools required to keep the caches cleaned up are right there in Internet
    Options.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    > Am I missing something here? It seems like everyone is making such a
    big
    > deal out of emptying the index.dat files and other hard to get at
    stuff when
    > it is such a simple, straight forward task with the index.dat suite I
    > referenced earlier -- no manual SMARTDRV risky stuff for us ordinary
    users.
    > It's automated and it works!
    >
    > Here's what the index.dat suite will do for you:
    >
    > "Index.dat Suite is a rather unique program that allows you not only
    > delete the index.dat files, temporary internet files, temp files,
    cookies
    > and history, but it also allows you to view the index.dat files on
    your
    > system. Index.dat Suite's current features include;"
    >
    > o View and delete index.dat files
    > o View and delete Temporary Internet Files (TIF)
    > o View and delete Cookies
    > o View and delete History
    > o View and delete Temp files
    > o View and delete Recent Documents
    > o Delete Typed URL's
    > o Delete Prefetch folder contents
    > o Auto-generation of batch file to assist in deleting the index.dat
    files in
    > DOS.
    > o Optional add to RunOnce registry key
    > o Optional deletion of swap file (9x users only)
    > o Optional defrag after file deletion
    > o Full application logging
    >
    > And NO, I don't have any relationship with the guys who supply this
    freeware
    > program. I just know it has worked without any problem for the year
    or so
    > that I have been using it.
    >
    > Again, the URL is:
    >
    > http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite

    I have that - just to look at - not delete anything.
    Everything they show I can see in Explorer.
    At least they show nothing different for me.
    I always use IE for deleting files..
    As I said, I want to keep my DAT files..
    --
    mae

    "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    | Am I missing something here? It seems like everyone is making such a big
    | deal out of emptying the index.dat files and other hard to get at stuff
    when
    | it is such a simple, straight forward task with the index.dat suite I
    | referenced earlier -- no manual SMARTDRV risky stuff for us ordinary
    users.
    | It's automated and it works!
    |
    | Here's what the index.dat suite will do for you:
    |
    | "Index.dat Suite is a rather unique program that allows you not only to
    | delete the index.dat files, temporary internet files, temp files, cookies
    | and history, but it also allows you to view the index.dat files on your
    | system. Index.dat Suite's current features include;"
    |
    | o View and delete index.dat files
    | o View and delete Temporary Internet Files (TIF)
    | o View and delete Cookies
    | o View and delete History
    | o View and delete Temp files
    | o View and delete Recent Documents
    | o Delete Typed URL's
    | o Delete Prefetch folder contents
    | o Auto-generation of batch file to assist in deleting the index.dat files
    in
    | DOS.
    | o Optional add to RunOnce registry key
    | o Optional deletion of swap file (9x users only)
    | o Optional defrag after file deletion
    | o Full application logging
    |
    | And NO, I don't have any relationship with the guys who supply this
    freeware
    | program. I just know it has worked without any problem for the year or so
    | that I have been using it.
    |
    | Again, the URL is:
    |
    | http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite

    Gary,
    In my TIF folder I have 2 subfolders that won't delete from
    Tools/Internet Options/Delete files.../Delete all offline
    content\OK\OK.

    One is named ~16370.tmp and is empty.

    The other one is named ~5850.tmp and contains the Index.dat file (160
    kb, 1/26/05).

    I was able to view Index.dat with WinHex. I rarely use WinHex and,
    hence, don't know much on how to use it.

    Index.dat shows that it is not entirely blank. I searched for a
    particular site and, sure enough it's there. Scrolled through the file
    page by page and this site is the only one. So, apparently Index.dat
    is not thoroughly cleared through Tools/Internet Options/Delete
    files.../Delete all offline content\OK\OK. I would like this site not
    to show in Index.dat. How can I accomplish this? Do I edit Index.dat
    or just delete Index.dat? If editing, is there a simple program that
    can accomplish this?

    On another related note. Is it safe to delete individual .txt files in
    Windows\Cookies? Some of them go back to 2001.

    Thanks for your help.

    On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:53 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >Yes, you may move or delete Cookies of C:\Windows\Cookies individually.

    Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
    Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
    Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
    copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
    cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled was
    made by SpywareBlaster.

    >(4) DELTREE C:\Windows\Tempor~1\ /y
    > These are your Temporary Internet Files. A DOS delete does reset
    >the Index.dat in Content.IE5 to 32 KB. It won't stay that small for
    >long. However, Cookies in the top TIF folder would survive this Deltree.

    DELTREE accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Funny thing though I
    was pressing the F5 instead of F8 to bring up the Windows 98 Startup
    Menu. Then it realized I had to do an F8. LOL! CTRL key would not work
    although it used to work. But then I've had my MB, memory, modem,
    power supply replaced. I'll try it tomorrow again if ands see if it
    works.

    Thanks for the help.

    First clear the TIF in IE.
    Then go down to DOS and do the deltree (that way you won't need smartdrv
    too)

    Just me wrote:
    > On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:53 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, you may move or delete Cookies of C:\Windows\Cookies individually.
    >>
    > Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
    > Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
    > Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
    > copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
    > cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled was
    > made by SpywareBlaster.
    >
    >> (4) DELTREE C:\Windows\Tempor~1\ /y
    >> These are your Temporary Internet Files. A DOS delete does reset
    >> the Index.dat in Content.IE5 to 32 KB. It won't stay that small for
    >> long. However, Cookies in the top TIF folder would survive this Deltree.
    >>

    > DELTREE accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Funny thing though I
    > was pressing the F5 instead of F8 to bring up the Windows 98 Startup
    > Menu. Then it realized I had to do an F8. LOL! CTRL key would not work
    > although it used to work. But then I've had my MB, memory, modem,
    > power supply replaced. I'll try it tomorrow again if ands see if it
    > works.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thanks, Bill.

    That is exactly what I did. However, when I first cleared the TIF from
    IE, two folders, as mentioned in my original post, could not be
    deleted. They are now deleted with the DELTREE command. One of these
    folders had an Index.dat file (160k, 1/26/05) with info on a site
    which I did not want to be there. The Index.dat is now gone and was
    expecting another one to be recreated, but nothing.

    Another question: What's Desktop.ini in the TIF folder?

    Thanks for responding.

    On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:48:55 -0600, "Bill in Co."
    <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >First clear the TIF in IE.
    >Then go down to DOS and do the deltree (that way you won't need smartdrv
    >too)
    >
    >Just me wrote:
    >> On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:53 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes, you may move or delete Cookies of C:\Windows\Cookies individually.
    >>>
    >> Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
    >> Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
    >> Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
    >> copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
    >> cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled was
    >> made by SpywareBlaster.
    >>
    >>> (4) DELTREE C:\Windows\Tempor~1\ /y
    >>> These are your Temporary Internet Files. A DOS delete does reset
    >>> the Index.dat in Content.IE5 to 32 KB. It won't stay that small for
    >>> long. However, Cookies in the top TIF folder would survive this Deltree.
    >>>

    >> DELTREE accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Funny thing though I
    >> was pressing the F5 instead of F8 to bring up the Windows 98 Startup
    >> Menu. Then it realized I had to do an F8. LOL! CTRL key would not work
    >> although it used to work. But then I've had my MB, memory, modem,
    >> power supply replaced. I'll try it tomorrow again if ands see if it
    >> works.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    All I know about those desktop.ini files is that they store some sort of
    configuration info for each directory they're in (well, at least as I
    recall). Like it might affect how the directory is displayed in Windows
    Explorer, etc.. Someone else will have to expand on this.

    Just me wrote:
    > Thanks, Bill.
    >
    > That is exactly what I did. However, when I first cleared the TIF from
    > IE, two folders, as mentioned in my original post, could not be
    > deleted. They are now deleted with the DELTREE command. One of these
    > folders had an Index.dat file (160k, 1/26/05) with info on a site
    > which I did not want to be there. The Index.dat is now gone and was
    > expecting another one to be recreated, but nothing.
    >
    > Another question: What's Desktop.ini in the TIF folder?
    >
    > Thanks for responding.
    >
    > On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:48:55 -0600, "Bill in Co."
    > <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >> First clear the TIF in IE.
    >> Then go down to DOS and do the deltree (that way you won't need smartdrv
    >> too)
    >>
    >> Just me wrote:

    >>> Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
    >>> Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
    >>> Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
    >>> copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
    >>> cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled was
    >>> made by SpywareBlaster.

    Deltree.

    >>> DELTREE accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Funny thing though I
    >>> was pressing the F5 instead of F8 to bring up the Windows 98 Startup
    >>> Menu. Then it realized I had to do an F8. LOL! CTRL key would not work
    >>> although it used to work. But then I've had my MB, memory, modem,
    >>> power supply replaced. I'll try it tomorrow again if ands see if it
    >>> works.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the help.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Just me" <justme489@mylink.com> wrote in message
    | On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:53 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >Yes, you may move or delete Cookies of C:\Windows\Cookies
    individually.

    | Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
    | Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
    | Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
    | copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
    | cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled was
    | made by SpywareBlaster.

    Mine is set at "Prompt" for that, which likely is the default.

    | >(4) DELTREE C:\Windows\Tempor~1\ /y
    | > These are your Temporary Internet Files. A DOS delete does
    reset
    | >the Index.dat in Content.IE5 to 32 KB. It won't stay that small for
    | >long. However, Cookies in the top TIF folder would survive this
    Deltree.

    | DELTREE accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Funny thing though I
    | was pressing the F5 instead of F8 to bring up the Windows 98 Startup
    | Menu. Then it realized I had to do an F8. LOL! CTRL key would not work
    | although it used to work. But then I've had my MB, memory, modem,
    | power supply replaced. I'll try it tomorrow again if ands see if it
    | works.

    F5 goes to Safe Mode...

    .......Start...Quote from Windows 98 Secrets (Livingston/Straub).....
    Ctrl or F8: Starts the Windows 98 Startup Menu. You need to hold down
    the Ctrl key before the DOS bootup process begins. If you have quick
    fingers you can press the F8 key in between the end of the power-on self
    test & the beginning of the DOS bootup phase.
    .......End........

    If you cannot get PF/CTRL keys to work at boot, take a look in MSDOS.sys
    which can have been set to turn some of them off...

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/
    Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

    NOTE: If you have a C:\Winboot.ini, look in there instead, as it will
    override MSDOS.sys.

    | Thanks for the help.

    You are welcome.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | Another question: What's Desktop.ini in the TIF folder?

    Mine reads...

    [.ShellClassInfo]
    UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}

    Better keep that one...!...

    Here are two articles dug up by Glee from another thread.

    Customizing a Folder's Web View:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_int/shell_int_extending/webview.asp?frame=true

    Customizing Folders with Desktop.ini
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/custom.asp

    And here is all I know about it, until I go study those articles
    myself...

    Acc. to "Windows 98 Secrets" (Livingston/Straub), p. 172, a Desktop.ini
    is a system file created when you "View, Customize" a folder, possibly
    along with a modified copy of folder.htt (HTML template). Click one and
    it will open in Notepad; they are not all the same inside. Supposedly,
    the ini & the htt will be deleted when you remove the customization;
    that doesn't quite appear to be true, but the ini is cleared of most
    data. I appear to have 23 Desktop.ini's currently, as "Find, F&F,
    Desktop.ini" shows. As far as the htt, I never did see one inside a
    folder, using Explorer. I saw 17 of them BOTH before and after removing
    a customization, however, using "Find, F&F, *.htt". (Update: I see those
    htt's after setting:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Adv
    anced
    ShowSuperHidden 0x00000001 (1) <--DWORD: 1.)

    Acc. to "Windows 98 Secrets" (Livingston/Straub), p. 199, special
    folders can also contain a Desktop.ini which "may have a reference to a
    dynamic link library (dll) file that defines a specific set of behaviors
    for the folder".

    There are other ways to create them, and they are sometimes involved in
    copy protection schemes. Also third party programs, such as
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's Folders creates or modifies them to store
    pointers to the folder icons. I have such pointers in some
    desktop.ini's, although I never did install "Folders".

    --
    | Thanks, Bill.
    |
    | That is exactly what I did. However, when I first cleared the TIF from
    | IE, two folders, as mentioned in my original post, could not be
    | deleted. They are now deleted with the DELTREE command. One of these
    | folders had an Index.dat file (160k, 1/26/05) with info on a site
    | which I did not want to be there. The Index.dat is now gone and was
    | expecting another one to be recreated, but nothing.
    |
    | Another question: What's Desktop.ini in the TIF folder?
    |
    | Thanks for responding.
    |
    | On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:48:55 -0600, "Bill in Co."
    | <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:
    |
    | >First clear the TIF in IE.
    | >Then go down to DOS and do the deltree (that way you won't need
    smartdrv
    | >too)
    | >
    | >Just me wrote:

    | >> Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
    | >> Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
    | >> Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
    | >> copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
    | >> cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled
    was
    | >> made by SpywareBlaster.

    Deltree.

    | >> DELTREE accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Funny thing
    though I
    | >> was pressing the F5 instead of F8 to bring up the Windows 98
    Startup
    | >> Menu. Then it realized I had to do an F8. LOL! CTRL key would not
    work
    | >> although it used to work. But then I've had my MB, memory, modem,
    | >> power supply replaced. I'll try it tomorrow again if ands see if it
    | >> works.
    | >>
    | >> Thanks for the help.

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 13:57:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >"Just me" <justme489@mylink.com> wrote in message
    >| On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:53 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    >|
    >| >Yes, you may move or delete Cookies of C:\Windows\Cookies
    >individually.
    >| >
    >| Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
    >| Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
    >| Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
    >| copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
    >| cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled was
    >| made by SpywareBlaster.
    >
    >Mine is set at "Prompt" for that, which likely is the default.

    I used to have my Windows 3.1/3.11 set to boot at the C:> prompt.

    "BootMenu=" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/ reads:

    BootMenu=Boolean
    Default: 0
    Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu. If this setting is
    0, then you must press the F8 key when "Starting Windows 95" appears,
    (or press and hold the CTRL key when your Windows 98-based computer
    restarts) to invoke the Startup menu.

    Seems 0 is the default.

    The [options] section of my Msdos.sys reads:

    [Options]
    BootMulti=1
    BootGUI=1
    DoubleBuffer=1
    AutoScan=1
    WinVer=4.10.2222

    followed by the usual text warning

    and then as the last line:

    BootMenu=0

    Seems the above line should be under the [Options]. But, it may not
    make any difference. I'll try it tomorrow as it is since the last
    time I think I was pressing CTRL too late. It says above that it must
    be pressed as soon as the computer starts, and I wasn't doing that.
    Hence this may be the reason it did not work for me. If after several
    attempts fails, I'll move it to the last line in the [Option] section.
    I know the F8 must be pressed at the beep, and it works.

    BTW, although I had reported back back then everything seems fine
    until today after the scandisk and defrag in Safe Mode. I haven't
    received any Invalid Page Faults or Illegal Operations. Defrag and
    cleaning out the trash was the answer to my frequent daily error
    messages. I learned a good lesson and now I scandisk and defrag more
    frequently.

    I'm referring to this post of mine:

    Subject: Invalid Page Fault in Module Unknown
    From: Just me <justme489@mylink.com>
    Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:02:33 GMT

    Thanks to all of you, this NG is still active and one of the best.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | On Sun, 8 May 2005 13:57:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >"Just me" <justme489@mylink.com> wrote in message
    | >| On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:53 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
    wrote:
    | >|
    | >individually.
    | >| >
    | >| Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
    | >| Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
    | >| Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
    | >| copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
    | >| cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled
    was
    | >| made by SpywareBlaster.
    | >
    | >Mine is set at "Prompt" for that, which likely is the default.
    |
    | I used to have my Windows 3.1/3.11 set to boot at the C:> prompt.

    OK. But I was saying, where you are "Disable" for Drag/Drop, I am
    "Prompt". Disable is just as well, I'm sure. I never get a message that
    anyone wants to move them, anyhow.

    | "BootMenu=" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/ reads:
    |
    | BootMenu=Boolean
    | Default: 0
    | Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu. If this setting is
    | 0, then you must press the F8 key when "Starting Windows 95" appears,
    | (or press and hold the CTRL key when your Windows 98-based computer
    | restarts) to invoke the Startup menu.
    |
    | Seems 0 is the default.

    That is true. I have set mine...

    BootMenu=1
    BootMenuDelay=10

    ....just so I won't have to bother with CTRL or F8. And I don't have to
    wait the 10 seconds, because hitting ENTER when the Startup Menu appears
    instantly selects the default setting, which is a boot to Normal Mode.

    But I was thinking of...

    • BootKeys=Boolean
    Default: 1
    Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the use of the function key boot options
    (that is, F4, F5, F6, F8, and CTRL). A setting of 0 disables the use of
    these function keys during the boot process
    NOTE: A setting of BootKeys=0 overrides the use of BootDelay=n.

    ....That would turn them off. I see you are OK with that, though. I see,
    below, you figured out now that CTRL must be hit earlier in the boot
    than F8.

    | The [options] section of my Msdos.sys reads:
    |
    | [Options]
    | BootMulti=1
    | BootGUI=1
    | DoubleBuffer=1
    | AutoScan=1
    | WinVer=4.10.2222
    |
    | followed by the usual text warning
    |
    | and then as the last line:
    |
    | BootMenu=0

    Here is mine...

    [Paths]
    WinDir=c:\windows
    WinBootDir=c:\windows
    HostWinBootDrv=c

    [Options]
    AutoScan=1
    BootMenu=1 ;Per Win98
    BootMenuDelay=10
    Dblspace=0 ;Per Win98
    Drvspace=0 ; Secrets
    DoubleBuffer=1
    Logo=0
    Network=0
    WinVer=4.10.2222

    NOTES:
    (a) If you use CVFs (Compressed Volume Files), do not include
    Dblspace=0 & Drvspace=0.
    (b) Do not include Network=0, if you connect to a Network.
    (c) Logo=0 suppresses the Windows logo at boot.

    | Seems the above line should be under the [Options].
    | But, it may not make any difference.

    Right, BootMenu works where it is, but move it up to the others. Also,
    you may sort them.

    | I'll try it tomorrow as it is since the last
    | time I think I was pressing CTRL too late. It says above that it must
    | be pressed as soon as the computer starts, and I wasn't doing that.
    | Hence this may be the reason it did not work for me. If after several
    | attempts fails, I'll move it to the last line in the [Option] section.

    I guess they must be placed in the [Option] section, but order doesn't
    matter.

    | I know the F8 must be pressed at the beep, and it works.

    I would just turn the Startup Menu on. But, yes, CTRL must be pressed
    early in the boot, if you don't.

    | BTW, although I had reported back back then everything seems fine
    | until today after the scandisk and defrag in Safe Mode. I haven't
    | received any Invalid Page Faults or Illegal Operations. Defrag and
    | cleaning out the trash was the answer to my frequent daily error
    | messages. I learned a good lesson and now I scandisk and defrag more
    | frequently.

    Glad to hear it. I think once a month is likely enough.

    | I'm referring to this post of mine:
    |
    | Subject: Invalid Page Fault in Module Unknown
    | From: Just me <justme489@mylink.com>
    | Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:02:33 GMT
    |
    | Thanks to all of you, this NG is still active and one of the best.

    You are welcome.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 02:25:23 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >"Just me" <justme489@mylink.com> wrote in message
    >| On Sun, 8 May 2005 13:57:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    >|
    >| >"Just me" <justme489@mylink.com> wrote in message
    >wrote:
    >| >|
    >| >individually.

    >was
    >| >
    >| >Mine is set at "Prompt" for that, which likely is the default.
    >|
    >| I used to have my Windows 3.1/3.11 set to boot at the C:> prompt.
    >
    >OK. But I was saying, where you are "Disable" for Drag/Drop, I am
    >"Prompt". Disable is just as well, I'm sure. I never get a message that
    >anyone wants to move them, anyhow.

    Misread you, PCR. Must have been late and was tired :).
    I've now set it to "Prompt" too, and it works.

    >| "BootMenu=" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/ reads:
    >|
    >| BootMenu=Boolean
    >| Default: 0
    >| Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu. If this setting is
    >| 0, then you must press the F8 key when "Starting Windows 95" appears,
    >| (or press and hold the CTRL key when your Windows 98-based computer
    >| restarts) to invoke the Startup menu.
    >|
    >| Seems 0 is the default.
    >
    >That is true. I have set mine...
    >
    >BootMenu=1
    >BootMenuDelay=10
    >
    >...just so I won't have to bother with CTRL or F8. And I don't have to
    >wait the 10 seconds, because hitting ENTER when the Startup Menu appears
    >instantly selects the default setting, which is a boot to Normal Mode.
    >
    >But I was thinking of...
    >
    >• BootKeys=Boolean
    >Default: 1
    >Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the use of the function key boot options
    >(that is, F4, F5, F6, F8, and CTRL). A setting of 0 disables the use of
    >these function keys during the boot process
    >NOTE: A setting of BootKeys=0 overrides the use of BootDelay=n.
    >
    >...That would turn them off. I see you are OK with that, though. I see,
    >below, you figured out now that CTRL must be hit earlier in the boot
    >than F8.

    Still having problems invoking the Startup menu using the CTRL key.
    F8 key works perfectly.

    Here is the scenario:

    1. Two CTRL keys: a left one and a right one.
    2. Either press and hold the CTRL key until the Startup menu appears.
    OR keep pressing the CTRL key continuously until the Startup menu
    appears.
    3. Press the CTRL key immediately after something appears on screen,
    OR 1-2 seconds before something appears on screen. I can do this
    by listening to the sound from the case.

    And here are the results by using different combinations of "1.", "2."
    and "3." from above :

    Left CTRL key: If I press and hold the key, even up to the point where
    the Desktop is about to appear, I get no Startup menu. If I keep
    pressing the CTRL key, the Startup menu appears and works normally.

    Right CTRL key: If I press and hold the key, even up to the point
    where the Desktop is about to appear, I get no Startup menu. If I keep
    pressing the CTRL key, the Startup menu appears, but if I try to make
    a choice, the default choice "1" disappears as well as the 30-seconds
    countdown clock. If I let the countdown clock run out, it boots in
    Normally to the Desktop, ie, the default, 1. Normal.

    To summarize:

    F8 works normally.

    Left CTRL key works only if I keep pressing it continuously, but if
    pressed and held on down, it fails to bring up the Startup menu.

    Right CTRL key if pressed and held on down, does not work. But, if
    pressed continuously the Startup menu appears, but am unable to make a
    choice with the up/dow keys.

    Troubleshooted the right CTRL key to see if it works, by doing an
    ALT-CTRL-DEL, and it works. Again, used the right CTRL key by copying
    a thread from this NG to a folder in my Agent newsreader, and it
    works.

    I'll continue looking for a solution, and if I can't find one, I use
    the follwoing Options as you suggested:

    BootMenu=1
    BootMenuDelay=10

    Thanks so much for your help.

    >| The [options] section of my Msdos.sys reads:
    >|
    >| [Options]
    >| BootMulti=1
    >| BootGUI=1
    >| DoubleBuffer=1
    >| AutoScan=1
    >| WinVer=4.10.2222
    >|
    >| followed by the usual text warning
    >|
    >| and then as the last line:
    >|
    >| BootMenu=0
    >
    >Here is mine...
    >
    >[Paths]
    >WinDir=c:\windows
    >WinBootDir=c:\windows
    >HostWinBootDrv=c
    >
    >[Options]
    >AutoScan=1
    >BootMenu=1 ;Per Win98
    >BootMenuDelay=10
    >Dblspace=0 ;Per Win98
    >Drvspace=0 ; Secrets
    >DoubleBuffer=1
    >Logo=0
    >Network=0
    >WinVer=4.10.2222
    >
    >NOTES:
    > (a) If you use CVFs (Compressed Volume Files), do not include
    >Dblspace=0 & Drvspace=0.
    > (b) Do not include Network=0, if you connect to a Network.
    > (c) Logo=0 suppresses the Windows logo at boot.
    >

    >| Seems the above line should be under the [Options].
    >| But, it may not make any difference.
    >
    >Right, BootMenu works where it is, but move it up to the others. Also,
    >you may sort them.
    >
    >| I'll try it tomorrow as it is since the last
    >| time I think I was pressing CTRL too late. It says above that it must
    >| be pressed as soon as the computer starts, and I wasn't doing that.
    >| Hence this may be the reason it did not work for me. If after several
    >| attempts fails, I'll move it to the last line in the [Option] section.
    >
    >I guess they must be placed in the [Option] section, but order doesn't
    >matter.
    >
    >| I know the F8 must be pressed at the beep, and it works.
    >
    >I would just turn the Startup Menu on. But, yes, CTRL must be pressed
    >early in the boot, if you don't.
    >

    >| BTW, although I had reported back back then everything seems fine
    >| until today after the scandisk and defrag in Safe Mode. I haven't
    >| received any Invalid Page Faults or Illegal Operations. Defrag and
    >| cleaning out the trash was the answer to my frequent daily error
    >| messages. I learned a good lesson and now I scandisk and defrag more
    >| frequently.
    >
    >Glad to hear it. I think once a month is likely enough.
    >

    >| I'm referring to this post of mine:
    >|
    >| Subject: Invalid Page Fault in Module Unknown
    >| From: Just me <justme489@mylink.com>
    >| Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:02:33 GMT
    >|
    >| Thanks to all of you, this NG is still active and one of the best.
    >
    >You are welcome.

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    | On Tue, 10 May 2005 02:25:23 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >"Just me" <justme489@mylink.com> wrote in message
    | >| On Sun, 8 May 2005 13:57:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
    wrote:
    | >|
    | >wrote:
    | >| >|

    | >was

    | >|
    | >| I used to have my Windows 3.1/3.11 set to boot at the C:> prompt.
    | >
    | >OK. But I was saying, where you are "Disable" for Drag/Drop, I am
    | >"Prompt". Disable is just as well, I'm sure. I never get a message
    that
    | >anyone wants to move them, anyhow.
    |
    | Misread you, PCR. Must have been late and was tired :).
    | I've now set it to "Prompt" too, and it works.

    OK, then. Some day, I may move some out, myself, then, if it works.

    | >|
    | >| "BootMenu=" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/ reads:
    | >|
    | >| BootMenu=Boolean
    | >| Default: 0
    | >| Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu. If this setting
    is
    | >| 0, then you must press the F8 key when "Starting Windows 95"
    appears,
    | >| (or press and hold the CTRL key when your Windows 98-based computer
    | >| restarts) to invoke the Startup menu.
    | >|
    | >| Seems 0 is the default.
    | >
    | >That is true. I have set mine...
    | >
    | >BootMenu=1
    | >BootMenuDelay=10
    | >
    | >...just so I won't have to bother with CTRL or F8. And I don't have
    | >wait the 10 seconds, because hitting ENTER when the Startup Menu
    appears
    | >instantly selects the default setting, which is a boot to Normal
    Mode.

    | >But I was thinking of...
    | >
    | >• BootKeys=Boolean
    | >Default: 1
    | >Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the use of the function key boot
    options
    | >(that is, F4, F5, F6, F8, and CTRL). A setting of 0 disables the use
    of
    | >these function keys during the boot process
    | >NOTE: A setting of BootKeys=0 overrides the use of BootDelay=n.
    | >
    | >...That would turn them off. I see you are OK with that, though. I
    see,
    | >below, you figured out now that CTRL must be hit earlier in the boot
    | >than F8.
    |
    | Still having problems invoking the Startup menu using the CTRL key.
    | F8 key works perfectly.
    |
    | Here is the scenario:
    |
    | 1. Two CTRL keys: a left one and a right one.
    | 2. Either press and hold the CTRL key until the Startup menu appears.
    | OR keep pressing the CTRL key continuously until the Startup menu
    | appears.
    | 3. Press the CTRL key immediately after something appears on screen,
    | OR 1-2 seconds before something appears on screen. I can do this
    | by listening to the sound from the case.
    |
    | And here are the results by using different combinations of "1.", "2."
    | and "3." from above :
    |
    | Left CTRL key: If I press and hold the key, even up to the point where
    | the Desktop is about to appear, I get no Startup menu. If I keep
    | pressing the CTRL key, the Startup menu appears and works normally.
    |
    | Right CTRL key: If I press and hold the key, even up to the point
    | where the Desktop is about to appear, I get no Startup menu. If I keep
    | pressing the CTRL key, the Startup menu appears,

    BIOS must finish posting, before CTRL will work.

    | but if I try to make
    | a choice, the default choice "1" disappears as well as the 30-seconds
    | countdown clock.

    That's normal. After you press any key, the countdown stops, & you must
    now press ENTER.

    | If I let the countdown clock run out, it boots in
    | Normally to the Desktop, ie, the default, 1. Normal.

    Right. To speed it up, just hit ENTER. You may even hit it slightly
    before the menu appears.

    | To summarize:
    |
    | F8 works normally.
    |
    | Left CTRL key works only if I keep pressing it continuously, but if
    | pressed and held on down, it fails to bring up the Startup menu.
    |
    | Right CTRL key if pressed and held on down, does not work.

    You must wait for BIOS posting to finish even for the CTRL key, I
    believe. Then, press & hold it. If you cannot see the BIOS because it is
    blocked by a proprietary screen (as Compaq did to me), then wait a few
    seconds, or wait for the first writing you do see, maybe. Or go ahead &
    use F8.

    | But, if
    | pressed continuously the Startup menu appears, but am unable to make a
    | choice with the up/dow keys.

    I don't do that much. I'm sure I've seen it work once/twice, though.
    Don't know what it's about. Can't you just type a number & hit ENTER?

    | Troubleshooted the right CTRL key to see if it works, by doing an
    | ALT-CTRL-DEL, and it works. Again, used the right CTRL key by copying
    | a thread from this NG to a folder in my Agent newsreader, and it
    | works.

    Wait for BIOS to finish it's posting, then try it.

    | I'll continue looking for a solution, and if I can't find one, I use
    | the follwoing Options as you suggested:
    |
    | BootMenu=1
    | BootMenuDelay=10
    |
    | Thanks so much for your help.

    You are welcome. Yes, this is best. OK, keep us informed. OK, bye.

    | >|
    | >| The [options] section of my Msdos.sys reads:
    | >|
    | >| [Options]
    | >| BootMulti=1
    | >| BootGUI=1
    | >| DoubleBuffer=1
    | >| AutoScan=1
    | >| WinVer=4.10.2222
    | >|
    | >| followed by the usual text warning
    | >|
    | >| and then as the last line:
    | >|
    | >| BootMenu=0
    | >
    | >Here is mine...
    | >
    | >[Paths]
    | >WinDir=c:\windows
    | >WinBootDir=c:\windows
    | >HostWinBootDrv=c
    | >
    | >[Options]
    | >AutoScan=1
    | >BootMenu=1 ;Per Win98
    | >BootMenuDelay=10
    | >Dblspace=0 ;Per Win98
    | >Drvspace=0 ; Secrets
    | >DoubleBuffer=1
    | >Logo=0
    | >Network=0
    | >WinVer=4.10.2222
    | >
    | >NOTES:
    | > (a) If you use CVFs (Compressed Volume Files), do not include
    | >Dblspace=0 & Drvspace=0.
    | > (b) Do not include Network=0, if you connect to a Network.
    | > (c) Logo=0 suppresses the Windows logo at boot.

    | >|
    | >| Seems the above line should be under the [Options].
    | >| But, it may not make any difference.
    | >
    | >Right, BootMenu works where it is, but move it up to the others.
    Also,
    | >you may sort them.
    | >
    | >| I'll try it tomorrow as it is since the last
    | >| time I think I was pressing CTRL too late. It says above that it
    must
    | >| be pressed as soon as the computer starts, and I wasn't doing that.
    | >| Hence this may be the reason it did not work for me. If after
    several
    | >| attempts fails, I'll move it to the last line in the [Option]
    section.

    | >I guess they must be placed in the [Option] section, but order
    doesn't
    | >matter.
    | >
    | >| I know the F8 must be pressed at the beep, and it works.
    | >
    | >I would just turn the Startup Menu on. But, yes, CTRL must be pressed
    | >early in the boot, if you don't.

    | >|
    | >| BTW, although I had reported back back then everything seems fine
    | >| until today after the scandisk and defrag in Safe Mode. I haven't
    | >| received any Invalid Page Faults or Illegal Operations. Defrag and
    | >| cleaning out the trash was the answer to my frequent daily error
    | >| messages. I learned a good lesson and now I scandisk and defrag
    more
    | >| frequently.
    | >
    | >Glad to hear it. I think once a month is likely enough.

    | >|
    | >| I'm referring to this post of mine:
    | >|
    | >| Subject: Invalid Page Fault in Module Unknown
    | >| From: Just me <justme489@mylink.com>
    | >| Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:02:33 GMT
    | >|
    | >| Thanks to all of you, this NG is still active and one of the best.
    | >
    | >You are welcome.

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 01:07:19 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >BIOS must finish posting, before CTRL will work.

    PCR, when does the BIOS finishes posting. Can you give me some
    indication?

    I really don't know much about computers, but here is my logic:

    0------------------------------1---------------------------------------------------------------------2
    Bios starts Bios ends
    posting posting 1->2 rest of boot process

    If I press and hold the CTRL key, say, at time 0 (or slightly
    immediately after zero and before 1) and release it before time 1,
    logically I won't be able to invoke the Startup menu, since CTRL must
    be pressed AFTER Bios finishes posting, ie, at time 1.

    However if I press the CTRL key as per above (ie, before Bios finishes
    posting) and continue holding past time 1 (ie, after Bios finishes
    posting), I assume that nothing happens while CTRL is being held
    pressed before Bios finishes posting. But once Bios is finished
    posting (while the CTRL is still being held down), then the Startup
    menu should invoked as I had CTRL pressed down after Bios finished.

    And this what I've been doing, but to no avail. IOW, CTRL has been
    held down from the time before Bios finished through after Bios was
    finished. It seems it should have given me the Startup menu, but
    doesn't. Unless, if CTRL is being pressed and held down before Bios
    starts, it automatically negates the effect of CTRL being pressed
    after Bios finished. :)

    Too much hair splitting, but hope you understand what I'm trying to
    say. :)

    Anyway, this hopefully is my last post on this issue and if I can't
    resolve it I'll revert to your former advice.

    Again, thanks for your time.

    Time to close the lid on things for tonight, stop rambling and hit the
    sack.

    PS: hope the timeline shows up clearly on your side.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    The timeline is fine for me. Yes, turn on the Startup Menu in MSDOS.sys.
    That is best.

    | Unless, if CTRL is being pressed and held down before Bios
    | starts, it automatically negates the effect of CTRL being pressed
    | after Bios finished. :)

    I think that is it. Well, actually, I think no matter where in BIOS you
    press & hold CTRL, it will not be recognized by Windows. BIOS must be
    over/done with!

    --
    | On Wed, 11 May 2005 01:07:19 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >BIOS must finish posting, before CTRL will work.
    |
    | PCR, when does the BIOS finishes posting. Can you give me some
    | indication?
    |
    | I really don't know much about computers, but here is my logic:

    0------------------------------1----------------------------------------
    -----------------------------2
    | Bios starts Bios ends
    | posting posting 1->2 rest of boot process
    |
    | If I press and hold the CTRL key, say, at time 0 (or slightly
    | immediately after zero and before 1) and release it before time 1,
    | logically I won't be able to invoke the Startup menu, since CTRL must
    | be pressed AFTER Bios finishes posting, ie, at time 1.
    |
    | However if I press the CTRL key as per above (ie, before Bios finishes
    | posting) and continue holding past time 1 (ie, after Bios finishes
    | posting), I assume that nothing happens while CTRL is being held
    | pressed before Bios finishes posting. But once Bios is finished
    | posting (while the CTRL is still being held down), then the Startup
    | menu should invoked as I had CTRL pressed down after Bios finished.
    |
    | And this what I've been doing, but to no avail. IOW, CTRL has been
    | held down from the time before Bios finished through after Bios was
    | finished. It seems it should have given me the Startup menu, but
    | doesn't. Unless, if CTRL is being pressed and held down before Bios
    | starts, it automatically negates the effect of CTRL being pressed
    | after Bios finished. :)
    |
    | Too much hair splitting, but hope you understand what I'm trying to
    | say. :)
    |
    | Anyway, this hopefully is my last post on this issue and if I can't
    | resolve it I'll revert to your former advice.
    |
    | Again, thanks for your time.
    |
    | Time to close the lid on things for tonight, stop rambling and hit the
    | sack.
    |
    | PS: hope the timeline shows up clearly on your side.

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:43:43 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >The timeline is fine for me. Yes, turn on the Startup Menu in MSDOS.sys.
    >That is best.
    >
    >| Unless, if CTRL is being pressed and held down before Bios
    >| starts, it automatically negates the effect of CTRL being pressed
    >| after Bios finished. :)

    >I think that is it. Well, actually, I think no matter where in BIOS you
    >press & hold CTRL, it will not be recognized by Windows. BIOS must be
    >over/done with!

    And right you are, PCR.

    Whether CTRL is pressed before or during BIOS posting, it negates CTRL
    and, therefore, the Startup menu.

    Now I know when BIOS is finished posting and am able to use either
    CTRL or F8. They both have to be pressed after Bios finishes posting.

    Now I can play around with Msdos.sys and turn on that Startup Menu.

    Thanks so much for the help.
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You are welcome.

    --
    | On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:43:43 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >The timeline is fine for me. Yes, turn on the Startup Menu in
    MSDOS.sys.
    | >That is best.
    | >
    | >| Unless, if CTRL is being pressed and held down before Bios
    | >| starts, it automatically negates the effect of CTRL being pressed
    | >| after Bios finished. :)
    |

    | >I think that is it. Well, actually, I think no matter where in BIOS
    you
    | >press & hold CTRL, it will not be recognized by Windows. BIOS must be
    | >over/done with!
    |
    | And right you are, PCR.
    |
    | Whether CTRL is pressed before or during BIOS posting, it negates CTRL
    | and, therefore, the Startup menu.
    |
    | Now I know when BIOS is finished posting and am able to use either
    | CTRL or F8. They both have to be pressed after Bios finishes posting.
    |
    | Now I can play around with Msdos.sys and turn on that Startup Menu.
    |
    | Thanks so much for the help.

Desktop.Ini Internet Windows