index.dat

Greetings all,

With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any good
reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the contents
of the following Windows folders:
Cookies (including index.dat)
History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
Internet Logs
Temp
Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)

Rednelle

No, nothing wrong with that. The typical method is to use DELTREE
command to dump the folders entirely.

But I usually don't consider those procedures to be worth much except
when something suggests that they're causing problems. The one most
prone to causing problems is the TIF index.dat, and a better way to deal
with that particular problem is by using CacheSentry.
http://www.enigmaticsoftware.com/

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Greetings all,
>
> With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any
good
> reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
contents
> of the following Windows folders:
> Cookies (including index.dat)
> History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
> Internet Logs
> Temp
> Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
>
> Rednelle

Is there any good reason to do so or to do it in that manner?

Take Out the Trash!
http://aumha.org/a/health.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Rednelle wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any good
> reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the contents
> of the following Windows folders:
> Cookies (including index.dat)
> History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
> Internet Logs
> Temp
> Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
>
> Rednelle

(And perhaps run smartdrv first. Otherwise you may be waiting awhile at
the DOS prompt).

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> No, nothing wrong with that. The typical method is to use DELTREE
> command to dump the folders entirely.
>
> But I usually don't consider those procedures to be worth much except
> when something suggests that they're causing problems. The one most
> prone to causing problems is the TIF index.dat, and a better way to deal
> with that particular problem is by using CacheSentry.
> http://www.enigmaticsoftware.com/
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any good
>> reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
contents
>> of the following Windows folders:
>> Cookies (including index.dat)
>> History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
>> Internet Logs
>> Temp
>> Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
>>
>> Rednelle

If you empty the TIF cache, first, it's no great hardship. But yeah,
it's always smart to run SMARTDRV before playing in pure MS DOS, <s>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> (And perhaps run smartdrv first. Otherwise you may be waiting awhile
at
> the DOS prompt).
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > No, nothing wrong with that. The typical method is to use DELTREE
> > command to dump the folders entirely.
> >
> > But I usually don't consider those procedures to be worth much
except
> > when something suggests that they're causing problems. The one most
> > prone to causing problems is the TIF index.dat, and a better way to
deal
> > with that particular problem is by using CacheSentry.
> > http://www.enigmaticsoftware.com/
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >> Greetings all,
> >>
> >> With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any
good
> >> reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
> contents
> >> of the following Windows folders:
> >> Cookies (including index.dat)
> >> History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
> >> Internet Logs
> >> Temp
> >> Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
> >>
> >> Rednelle

True. But he might forget to (I've been known to do that too)!

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> If you empty the TIF cache, first, it's no great hardship. But yeah,
> it's always smart to run SMARTDRV before playing in pure MS DOS, <s>.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> (And perhaps run smartdrv first. Otherwise you may be waiting awhile at
>> the DOS prompt).
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> No, nothing wrong with that. The typical method is to use DELTREE
>>> command to dump the folders entirely.
>>>
>>> But I usually don't consider those procedures to be worth much except
>>> when something suggests that they're causing problems. The one most
>>> prone to causing problems is the TIF index.dat, and a better way to deal
>>> with that particular problem is by using CacheSentry.
>>> http://www.enigmaticsoftware.com/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message

(1) Delete the contents of C:\Windows\TEMP. Delete contents only.

Under normal circumstances, C:\WINDOWS\TEMP can be cleared of
files/folders after a fresh boot. You need the fresh boot, because
something may be sitting there, waiting to "complete" an install. You
will likely have seen a message about it, though. Anyway, you should
know whether you've installed something since boot. Now, some files may
return after the delete. "WebPoolFileFile" is one. That will come back
next boot or when you run McAfee.

I have seen one poster who objected, saying one should browse through
those files, looking for .log's. He said it might be interesting to see
whether there is an error message or something inside. It was too late
for me by then.

Naturally, if you have actually installed something into TEMP, there
might be a Registry connection to it. Those, you need to un/re-install
elsewhere. Finally, I even saw a poster who had system files in there,
perhaps it was the Temporary Internet Files in there. That shouldn't be!
Well, to be certain, is C:\Windows\TEMP mentioned in any of these
Registry keys?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
ll Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use
r Shell Folders

(2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
all offline content, OK, OK"

These were your Temporary Internet Files, which, since V4, has an
involvement with Windows Update. It's main purpose is to hold
bits/pieces of sites you visit, to make it quicker to load next visit.
Also, it is a work area for OE6. Naturally, TIFs will grow back. It's
size is controllable by the slider & input box under the Settings
button.

(3) Most of the following shall never return again, and were work files,
pre-V4:
(a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
(b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
(c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
(d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
"iuhist.xml" file.

(4) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q238165
Deleting APPLOG Content
(a) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options,
View tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
extensions..." too.
(b) "START, Find, Files or Folders, Applog"
(c) Double-click the Applog folder to open it.
(d) On the Edit menu, click Select all.
(e) On the File menu, click Delete, and then click Yes when you are
prompted to confirm the deletion.

APPLOG is used by Defrag to optimize the location of files on your
partition. (Some files in it seem extraordinarily large.) It will be
recreated and the contents will accumulate, as the second time any app
is run it generates an .LGC in that folder. (Optlog.txt, in that folder,
will be recreated, when next you Defrag. Save the old one only to retain
a record of every app that has run, at least twice, to the date of your
last Defrag.)

(5) "START, Find, F/F, fff*". Got any, with a name that is tons long?
Then...

.......Quote.........
You find that you are accumulating a lot of temporary files in your
Windows directory that start with fff and have a .tmp extension, similar
to this:

fff137e3_{3BC6A120-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp
fff137e3_{3BC6A121-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp

These files are created by a bug in certain versions of MDM.EXE....two
every time it is loaded.
See here:
OFF2000: Files Whose Name Begins with 'fff' Appear in Windows Folder"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221438

OFF: How to Turn Off Machine Debug Manager, Mdm.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321410

MDM is loaded with programs such as Office, and Microsoft Script
Debugger.
The fix is to prevent it from loading, by renaming the file, and
removing its reference in the startup group.

Rename MDM.EXE to MDM.EX_ or MDM.BAD, or something like that.
Look for any reference to MDM.EXE in the Startup folders:
C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
and in the registry run key:
and delete it.

Then delete all those fff___.tmp files.
Note that if you reinstall any of the programs that added MDM.EXE, you
may get it loaded back, and will have to disable it again.

....glen
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
.......End....of quote.......

(6) Also, do you have SpyBot? Then...
"START, Find, F/F, 'Checks*.*, Fixes*.*'" (No quotes; yes comma). If you
have a ton of these, then delete them. Go to the Settings screen of
SpyBot, & turn off both the Checks & Fixes logs.

http://www.pcmag.com/ 's HDValet can help with that. It is configurable,
& installs with pre-configured suggestions. By design, it will not
delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not delete
files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own log
& doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
| Greetings all,
|
| With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any
good
| reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
contents
| of the following Windows folders:
| Cookies (including index.dat)
| History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
| Internet Logs
| Temp
| Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
|
| Rednelle

Run with scissors, too, while you're at it.
--
~PA Bear

PCR wrote:
> [...]
> SpyBot, & turn off both the Checks & Fixes logs.
>

> http://www.pcmag.com/ 's HDValet can help with that. It is configurable,
> & installs with pre-configured suggestions. By design, it will not
> delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not delete
> files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own log
> & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.
>

> > Greetings all,
> >
> > With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any good
> > reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
> > contents of the following Windows folders:
> > Cookies (including index.dat)
> > History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
> > Internet Logs
> > Temp
> > Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)

Well, *somebody's* gone and hidden (or lost) all my sharp-pointed
scissors! All I can find are these blunt-nosed things.

It's just no fun anymore!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
configurable,
> > & installs with pre-configured suggestions. By design, it will not
> > delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not
delete
> > files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own
log
> > & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.
> >

> > > Greetings all,
> > >
> > > With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there
any good
> > > reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
> > > contents of the following Windows folders:
> > > Cookies (including index.dat)
> > > History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
> > > Internet Logs
> > > Temp
> > > Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)

Meaning? Those are safe deletes, aren't they?

--
> [...]
configurable,
| > & installs with pre-configured suggestions. By design, it will not
| > delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not
delete
| > files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own
log
| > & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.
| >

| > > Greetings all,
| > >
| > > With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there
any good
| > > reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the
| > > contents of the following Windows folders:
| > > Cookies (including index.dat)
| > > History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
| > > Internet Logs
| > > Temp
| > > Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)

Thanks guys.

Forget isn't / wasn't the real problem; simply I did not know it is smart to
run SMARTDRV before delving into DOS.
But I do now. Thanks again.

> True. But he might forget to (I've been known to do that too)!
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > If you empty the TIF cache, first, it's no great hardship. But yeah,
> > it's always smart to run SMARTDRV before playing in pure MS DOS, <s>.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> (And perhaps run smartdrv first. Otherwise you may be waiting awhile
at
> >> the DOS prompt).

> good
> contents

SMARTDRV is *really* helpful - but only IF you are DELTREEing something with
a LOT of files in it. If you have already cleared out the TIF in IE, it
may not make a huge difference, but one time I forgot to do that (but I did
remember to use smartdrv), and at least I wasn't sitting at the dos prompt
very long that time!

But there have been a couple of other times where I forgot, and I was
staring at the dos prompt for quite awhile. :)

Rednelle wrote:
> Thanks guys.
>
> Forget isn't / wasn't the real problem; simply I did not know it is smart
> run SMARTDRV before delving into DOS.
> But I do now. Thanks again.
>

> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> True. But he might forget to (I've been known to do that too)!
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>> If you empty the TIF cache, first, it's no great hardship. But yeah,
>>> it's always smart to run SMARTDRV before playing in pure MS DOS, <s>.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Just FYI. Only ran that once in 6 years, (Aug. 2001)
Just to try but I will never do it again unless I have a problem.
Took too long to undo being a stranger and reset everything.
I did it for my daughter for a specific reason:
To get rid of porn sites my grandson visited.
So no harm but seems not needed unless a problem.
--
mae

"Rednelle" <rednelle31@btinternet.com> wrote in message
| Greetings all,
|
| With a computer running Windows 98 with IE5.5 Sp2, is there any good
| reason not to occasionally boot direct to DOS and then Delete the contents
| of the following Windows folders:
| Cookies (including index.dat)
| History (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
| Internet Logs
| Temp
| Temporary Internet Files (including index.dat and desktop.ini)
|
| Rednelle

Bobster

Am I missing something here? It seems like everyone is making such a big
deal out of emptying the index.dat files and other hard to get at stuff when
it is such a simple, straight forward task with the index.dat suite I
referenced earlier -- no manual SMARTDRV risky stuff for us ordinary users.
It's automated and it works!

Here's what the index.dat suite will do for you:

"Index.dat Suite is a rather unique program that allows you not only to
delete the index.dat files, temporary internet files, temp files, cookies
and history, but it also allows you to view the index.dat files on your
system. Index.dat Suite's current features include;"

o View and delete index.dat files
o View and delete Temporary Internet Files (TIF)
o View and delete Cookies
o View and delete History
o View and delete Temp files
o View and delete Recent Documents
o Delete Typed URL's
o Delete Prefetch folder contents
o Auto-generation of batch file to assist in deleting the index.dat files in
DOS.
o Optional add to RunOnce registry key
o Optional deletion of swap file (9x users only)
o Optional defrag after file deletion
o Full application logging

And NO, I don't have any relationship with the guys who supply this freeware
program. I just know it has worked without any problem for the year or so
that I have been using it.

Again, the URL is:

http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite

Seems like a lot of extra effort to download, install and maintain a
program for what should be only very rare need. Only IE's caching really
has any problems, and most of those have been repaired, for the most
part. True, when you empty the TIF or Cookie cache, the index.dat files
don't disappear or even shrink, but the records have been, for the most
part, zeroed out. Still, if IE's cache is misbehaving, the best answer
is to use CacheSentry.

Otherwise, the whole issue is much ado about nothing. Usually, the only
tools required to keep the caches cleaned up are right there in Internet
Options.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
> Am I missing something here? It seems like everyone is making such a
big
> deal out of emptying the index.dat files and other hard to get at
stuff when
> it is such a simple, straight forward task with the index.dat suite I
> referenced earlier -- no manual SMARTDRV risky stuff for us ordinary
users.
> It's automated and it works!
>
> Here's what the index.dat suite will do for you:
>
> "Index.dat Suite is a rather unique program that allows you not only
> delete the index.dat files, temporary internet files, temp files,
cookies
> and history, but it also allows you to view the index.dat files on
your
> system. Index.dat Suite's current features include;"
>
> o View and delete index.dat files
> o View and delete Temporary Internet Files (TIF)
> o View and delete Cookies
> o View and delete History
> o View and delete Temp files
> o View and delete Recent Documents
> o Delete Typed URL's
> o Delete Prefetch folder contents
> o Auto-generation of batch file to assist in deleting the index.dat
files in
> DOS.
> o Optional add to RunOnce registry key
> o Optional deletion of swap file (9x users only)
> o Optional defrag after file deletion
> o Full application logging
>
> And NO, I don't have any relationship with the guys who supply this
freeware
> program. I just know it has worked without any problem for the year
or so
> that I have been using it.
>
> Again, the URL is:
>
> http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite

I have that - just to look at - not delete anything.
Everything they show I can see in Explorer.
At least they show nothing different for me.
I always use IE for deleting files..
As I said, I want to keep my DAT files..
--
mae

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
| Am I missing something here? It seems like everyone is making such a big
| deal out of emptying the index.dat files and other hard to get at stuff
when
| it is such a simple, straight forward task with the index.dat suite I
| referenced earlier -- no manual SMARTDRV risky stuff for us ordinary
users.
| It's automated and it works!
|
| Here's what the index.dat suite will do for you:
|
| "Index.dat Suite is a rather unique program that allows you not only to
| delete the index.dat files, temporary internet files, temp files, cookies
| and history, but it also allows you to view the index.dat files on your
| system. Index.dat Suite's current features include;"
|
| o View and delete index.dat files
| o View and delete Temporary Internet Files (TIF)
| o View and delete Cookies
| o View and delete History
| o View and delete Temp files
| o View and delete Recent Documents
| o Delete Typed URL's
| o Delete Prefetch folder contents
| o Auto-generation of batch file to assist in deleting the index.dat files
in
| DOS.
| o Optional add to RunOnce registry key
| o Optional deletion of swap file (9x users only)
| o Optional defrag after file deletion
| o Full application logging
|
| And NO, I don't have any relationship with the guys who supply this
freeware
| program. I just know it has worked without any problem for the year or so
| that I have been using it.
|
| Again, the URL is:
|
| http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite

Gary,
In my TIF folder I have 2 subfolders that won't delete from
Tools/Internet Options/Delete files.../Delete all offline
content\OK\OK.

One is named ~16370.tmp and is empty.

The other one is named ~5850.tmp and contains the Index.dat file (160
kb, 1/26/05).

I was able to view Index.dat with WinHex. I rarely use WinHex and,
hence, don't know much on how to use it.

Index.dat shows that it is not entirely blank. I searched for a
particular site and, sure enough it's there. Scrolled through the file
page by page and this site is the only one. So, apparently Index.dat
is not thoroughly cleared through Tools/Internet Options/Delete
files.../Delete all offline content\OK\OK. I would like this site not
to show in Index.dat. How can I accomplish this? Do I edit Index.dat
or just delete Index.dat? If editing, is there a simple program that
can accomplish this?

On another related note. Is it safe to delete individual .txt files in
Windows\Cookies? Some of them go back to 2001.

Thanks for your help.

On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:53 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>Yes, you may move or delete Cookies of C:\Windows\Cookies individually.

Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled was
made by SpywareBlaster.

>(4) DELTREE C:\Windows\Tempor~1\ /y
> These are your Temporary Internet Files. A DOS delete does reset
>the Index.dat in Content.IE5 to 32 KB. It won't stay that small for
>long. However, Cookies in the top TIF folder would survive this Deltree.

DELTREE accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Funny thing though I
was pressing the F5 instead of F8 to bring up the Windows 98 Startup
Menu. Then it realized I had to do an F8. LOL! CTRL key would not work
although it used to work. But then I've had my MB, memory, modem,
power supply replaced. I'll try it tomorrow again if ands see if it
works.

Thanks for the help.

First clear the TIF in IE.
Then go down to DOS and do the deltree (that way you won't need smartdrv
too)

Just me wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:53 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
>
>> Yes, you may move or delete Cookies of C:\Windows\Cookies individually.
>>
> Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
> Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
> Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
> copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
> cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled was
> made by SpywareBlaster.
>
>> (4) DELTREE C:\Windows\Tempor~1\ /y
>> These are your Temporary Internet Files. A DOS delete does reset
>> the Index.dat in Content.IE5 to 32 KB. It won't stay that small for
>> long. However, Cookies in the top TIF folder would survive this Deltree.
>>

> DELTREE accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Funny thing though I
> was pressing the F5 instead of F8 to bring up the Windows 98 Startup
> Menu. Then it realized I had to do an F8. LOL! CTRL key would not work
> although it used to work. But then I've had my MB, memory, modem,
> power supply replaced. I'll try it tomorrow again if ands see if it
> works.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Thanks, Bill.

That is exactly what I did. However, when I first cleared the TIF from
IE, two folders, as mentioned in my original post, could not be
deleted. They are now deleted with the DELTREE command. One of these
folders had an Index.dat file (160k, 1/26/05) with info on a site
which I did not want to be there. The Index.dat is now gone and was
expecting another one to be recreated, but nothing.

Another question: What's Desktop.ini in the TIF folder?

Thanks for responding.

On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:48:55 -0600, "Bill in Co."
<not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:

>First clear the TIF in IE.
>Then go down to DOS and do the deltree (that way you won't need smartdrv
>too)
>
>Just me wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:53 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, you may move or delete Cookies of C:\Windows\Cookies individually.
>>>
>> Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
>> Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
>> Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
>> copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
>> cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled was
>> made by SpywareBlaster.
>>
>>> (4) DELTREE C:\Windows\Tempor~1\ /y
>>> These are your Temporary Internet Files. A DOS delete does reset
>>> the Index.dat in Content.IE5 to 32 KB. It won't stay that small for
>>> long. However, Cookies in the top TIF folder would survive this Deltree.
>>>

>> DELTREE accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Funny thing though I
>> was pressing the F5 instead of F8 to bring up the Windows 98 Startup
>> Menu. Then it realized I had to do an F8. LOL! CTRL key would not work
>> although it used to work. But then I've had my MB, memory, modem,
>> power supply replaced. I'll try it tomorrow again if ands see if it
>> works.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.

All I know about those desktop.ini files is that they store some sort of
configuration info for each directory they're in (well, at least as I
recall). Like it might affect how the directory is displayed in Windows
Explorer, etc.. Someone else will have to expand on this.

"Just me" <justme489@mylink.com> wrote in message
| On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:53 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
|
| >Yes, you may move or delete Cookies of C:\Windows\Cookies
individually.

| Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
| Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
| Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
| copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
| cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled was
| made by SpywareBlaster.

Mine is set at "Prompt" for that, which likely is the default.

| >(4) DELTREE C:\Windows\Tempor~1\ /y
| > These are your Temporary Internet Files. A DOS delete does
reset
| >the Index.dat in Content.IE5 to 32 KB. It won't stay that small for
| >long. However, Cookies in the top TIF folder would survive this
Deltree.

| DELTREE accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Funny thing though I
| was pressing the F5 instead of F8 to bring up the Windows 98 Startup
| Menu. Then it realized I had to do an F8. LOL! CTRL key would not work
| although it used to work. But then I've had my MB, memory, modem,
| power supply replaced. I'll try it tomorrow again if ands see if it
| works.

F5 goes to Safe Mode...

.......Start...Quote from Windows 98 Secrets (Livingston/Straub).....
Ctrl or F8: Starts the Windows 98 Startup Menu. You need to hold down
the Ctrl key before the DOS bootup process begins. If you have quick
fingers you can press the F8 key in between the end of the power-on self
test & the beginning of the DOS bootup phase.
.......End........

If you cannot get PF/CTRL keys to work at boot, take a look in MSDOS.sys
which can have been set to turn some of them off...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/
Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

NOTE: If you have a C:\Winboot.ini, look in there instead, as it will
override MSDOS.sys.

| Thanks for the help.

You are welcome.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net

| Another question: What's Desktop.ini in the TIF folder?

Mine reads...

[.ShellClassInfo]
UICLSID={7BD29E00-76C1-11CF-9DD0-00A0C9034933}

Better keep that one...!...

Here are two articles dug up by Glee from another thread.

Customizing a Folder's Web View:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_int/shell_int_extending/webview.asp?frame=true

Customizing Folders with Desktop.ini
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/custom.asp

And here is all I know about it, until I go study those articles
myself...

Acc. to "Windows 98 Secrets" (Livingston/Straub), p. 172, a Desktop.ini
is a system file created when you "View, Customize" a folder, possibly
along with a modified copy of folder.htt (HTML template). Click one and
it will open in Notepad; they are not all the same inside. Supposedly,
the ini & the htt will be deleted when you remove the customization;
that doesn't quite appear to be true, but the ini is cleared of most
data. I appear to have 23 Desktop.ini's currently, as "Find, F&F,
Desktop.ini" shows. As far as the htt, I never did see one inside a
folder, using Explorer. I saw 17 of them BOTH before and after removing
a customization, however, using "Find, F&F, *.htt". (Update: I see those
htt's after setting:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Adv
anced
ShowSuperHidden 0x00000001 (1) <--DWORD: 1.)

Acc. to "Windows 98 Secrets" (Livingston/Straub), p. 199, special
folders can also contain a Desktop.ini which "may have a reference to a
dynamic link library (dll) file that defines a specific set of behaviors
for the folder".

There are other ways to create them, and they are sometimes involved in
copy protection schemes. Also third party programs, such as
http://www.pcmag.com/ 's Folders creates or modifies them to store
pointers to the folder icons. I have such pointers in some
desktop.ini's, although I never did install "Folders".

--

On Sun, 8 May 2005 13:57:58 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

>"Just me" <justme489@mylink.com> wrote in message
>| On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:11:53 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
>|
>| >Yes, you may move or delete Cookies of C:\Windows\Cookies
>individually.
>| >
>| Got it. But I couldn't move them at first. But I figure it out.
>| Changed the security option in Tools/Internet
>| Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Custom Level/Drag and drop or
>| copy... - was Disabled and changed it to Enable. After moving the
>| cookies reset it back to Disable. I think the change to Disabled was
>| made by SpywareBlaster.
>
>Mine is set at "Prompt" for that, which likely is the default.

I used to have my Windows 3.1/3.11 set to boot at the C:> prompt.

"BootMenu=" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/ reads:

BootMenu=Boolean
Default: 0
Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu. If this setting is
0, then you must press the F8 key when "Starting Windows 95" appears,
(or press and hold the CTRL key when your Windows 98-based computer
restarts) to invoke the Startup menu.

Seems 0 is the default.

The [options] section of my Msdos.sys reads:

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
DoubleBuffer=1
AutoScan=1
WinVer=4.10.2222

followed by the usual text warning

and then as the last line:

BootMenu=0

Seems the above line should be under the [Options]. But, it may not
make any difference. I'll try it tomorrow as it is since the last
time I think I was pressing CTRL too late. It says above that it must
be pressed as soon as the computer starts, and I wasn't doing that.
Hence this may be the reason it did not work for me. If after several
attempts fails, I'll move it to the last line in the [Option] section.
I know the F8 must be pressed at the beep, and it works.

BTW, although I had reported back back then everything seems fine
until today after the scandisk and defrag in Safe Mode. I haven't
received any Invalid Page Faults or Illegal Operations. Defrag and
cleaning out the trash was the answer to my frequent daily error
messages. I learned a good lesson and now I scandisk and defrag more
frequently.

I'm referring to this post of mine:

Subject: Invalid Page Fault in Module Unknown
From: Just me <justme489@mylink.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:02:33 GMT

Thanks to all of you, this NG is still active and one of the best.