File names/extensions changed themselves

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
May 2, 2005 4:45:47 PM

I'm running windows 98 with both a hard disk 0 (C drive) and Hard Disk 1 (D
Drive) My C drive is small so I keep most of the important programs there.
The D drive is for those too large for C mainly. Yestarday, my D drive was
unable to locate a particular program file, so I went with the explorer to
find out why...
My D drive has renamed all of the folders, which are empty, and none of the
files in the D:\ path are recognizable. For instance:

bootnog.vxv
sccnfisk.nog
Rrogra~1." "
Oyfocu~1." "

I now have .GXG files, .NOG files and .VXV files.

Tried a virus detector; ziltch.
Any idea what happened??
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:22:46 PM

First thing to try would be a restore of the registry.
Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and press Enter
Under the General tab click the Advanced tab in the lower right corner
Put a check next to " Enable startup menu.."
Save and reboot

At the startup menu select " DOS command prompt only"
At the Prompt type and press Enter:

scanreg /restore *Note the space between g & /

Select a backup prior to the day the problem began.

Once rebooted to the startup menu select Normal

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Ra~v~en" <Ra~v~en@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running windows 98 with both a hard disk 0 (C drive) and Hard Disk 1 (D
> Drive) My C drive is small so I keep most of the important programs there.
> The D drive is for those too large for C mainly. Yestarday, my D drive was
> unable to locate a particular program file, so I went with the explorer to
> find out why...
> My D drive has renamed all of the folders, which are empty, and none of the
> files in the D:\ path are recognizable. For instance:
>
> bootnog.vxv
> sccnfisk.nog
> Rrogra~1." "
> Oyfocu~1." "
>
> I now have .GXG files, .NOG files and .VXV files.
>
> Tried a virus detector; ziltch.
> Any idea what happened??

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:39:40 AM

A consistent transposition error like this (l to n, a to c, d to f etc)
indicates a hardware problem, either with the disk controller or possibly
with RAM. If it's restricted to one disk then it could be the disk itself,
the cable or the controller. Get a disk drive diagnostic from the www site
of the disk drive manufacturer and run an extensive test of the D drive.

It's quite possible that the whole disk is recoverable once the problem is
fixed, provided that you do not write anything to the disk while it is in
the faulty state. Writing anything to the disk will almost certainly
corrupt the whole disk. The only completely reliable way to ensure this is
to use the disk only when booted to DOS - disconnect the drive if you need
to run Windows.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Ra~v~en" <Ra~v~en@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running windows 98 with both a hard disk 0 (C drive) and Hard Disk 1
> (D
> Drive) My C drive is small so I keep most of the important programs there.
> The D drive is for those too large for C mainly. Yestarday, my D drive
> was
> unable to locate a particular program file, so I went with the explorer to
> find out why...
> My D drive has renamed all of the folders, which are empty, and none of
> the
> files in the D:\ path are recognizable. For instance:
>
> bootnog.vxv
> sccnfisk.nog
> Rrogra~1." "
> Oyfocu~1." "
>
> I now have .GXG files, .NOG files and .VXV files.
>
> Tried a virus detector; ziltch.
> Any idea what happened??

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:39:41 AM

DOH! Wasn't thinking the C: drive. That leaves out restoring the reg.