Memory error.Help please.

Hi I have two 512 mb sticks of memory but often when I try to play an
video with Media player 9 I get the message "Your computer is running
low on memory. Quit other programs then try again"
I have just installed MPlayer 9 because I was getting a message "Out
of memory" with the original version of media player.

I have run Memtest and did not find any errors, I have reinstalled Win
98se but I still get the same problem.

Can anyone please throw some light on the problem
Many thanks

Pete

Pete C <123@345.net> wrote in news:gjbe719aofk6c6tbcv00qf2t41nn5ri2l3@
4ax.com:

> Hi I have two 512 mb sticks of memory but often when I try to play an
> video with Media player 9 I get the message "Your computer is running
> low on memory. Quit other programs then try again"
> I have just installed MPlayer 9 because I was getting a message "Out
> of memory" with the original version of media player.
>
> I have run Memtest and did not find any errors, I have reinstalled Win
> 98se but I still get the same problem.

Start - Run - msconfig. On the general tab click "advanced". Look for the
box that says "Limit memory to", check it and set it at 512 or less. Reboot
and see if that clears things up for you.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Pete C <123@345.net> wrote in news:gjbe719aofk6c6tbcv00qf2t41nn5ri2l3@
4ax.com:

> Hi I have two 512 mb sticks of memory but often when I try to play an
> video with Media player 9 I get the message "Your computer is running
> low on memory. Quit other programs then try again"
> I have just installed MPlayer 9 because I was getting a message "Out
> of memory" with the original version of media player.
>
> I have run Memtest and did not find any errors, I have reinstalled Win
> 98se but I still get the same problem.
>
> Can anyone please throw some light on the problem
> Many thanks
>
> Pete

2 sticks of 512 MB? 1 GB in total? W98 can have problems with that much
memory. Have a look at <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q253912>

Pete C <123@345.net> wrote:

>Hi I have two 512 mb sticks of memory but often when I try to play an
>video with Media player 9 I get the message "Your computer is running
>low on memory. Quit other programs then try again"
>I have just installed MPlayer 9 because I was getting a message "Out
>of memory" with the original version of media player.
>
>I have run Memtest and did not find any errors, I have reinstalled Win
>98se but I still get the same problem.
>
>Can anyone please throw some light on the problem
>Many thanks
>
>Pete

With 1 gb of memory on Windows 98 you *must* have the following entry
in the [vcache] section of the system.ini file:

MaxFileCache=512000

Otherwise the system is prone to generating false "out of memory"
errors triggered by an excessively large amount of RAM being mapped
for use as disk cache.

Try the system with that limitation in place and see if the problems
persist. If they do then post a response back here and we will delve
into it further.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

my current adware is 1.03 and I want to install 1.05

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> Pete C <123@345.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi I have two 512 mb sticks of memory but often when I try to play an
> >video with Media player 9 I get the message "Your computer is running
> >low on memory. Quit other programs then try again"
> >I have just installed MPlayer 9 because I was getting a message "Out
> >of memory" with the original version of media player.
> >
> >I have run Memtest and did not find any errors, I have reinstalled Win
> >98se but I still get the same problem.
> >
> >Can anyone please throw some light on the problem
> >Many thanks
> >
> >Pete
>
> With 1 gb of memory on Windows 98 you *must* have the following entry
> in the [vcache] section of the system.ini file:
>
> MaxFileCache=512000
>
> Otherwise the system is prone to generating false "out of memory"
> errors triggered by an excessively large amount of RAM being mapped
> for use as disk cache.
>
> Try the system with that limitation in place and see if the problems
> persist. If they do then post a response back here and we will delve
> into it further.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

So go download it.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

P.S. - It is a bad idea to stick an unrelated question into an ongoing
discussion. It is likely to be missed. Start a new discussion with your
new question.

"jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my current adware is 1.03 and I want to install 1.05
>
> "Ron Martell" wrote:
>
>> Pete C <123@345.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi I have two 512 mb sticks of memory but often when I try to play an
>> >video with Media player 9 I get the message "Your computer is running
>> >low on memory. Quit other programs then try again"
>> >I have just installed MPlayer 9 because I was getting a message "Out
>> >of memory" with the original version of media player.
>> >
>> >I have run Memtest and did not find any errors, I have reinstalled Win
>> >98se but I still get the same problem.
>> >
>> >Can anyone please throw some light on the problem
>> >Many thanks
>> >
>> >Pete
>>
>> With 1 gb of memory on Windows 98 you *must* have the following entry
>> in the [vcache] section of the system.ini file:
>>
>> MaxFileCache=512000
>>
>> Otherwise the system is prone to generating false "out of memory"
>> errors triggered by an excessively large amount of RAM being mapped
>> for use as disk cache.
>>
>> Try the system with that limitation in place and see if the problems
>> persist. If they do then post a response back here and we will delve
>> into it further.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Try Harper's suggestion of...
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ , or
http://www.lavasoftusa.de/ also AdAware, or
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ , or
click around in AdAware's menus/screens for a possible update button.

P.S. Next time start your own thread.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| my current adware is 1.03 and I want to install 1.05
....snip

TRENDING THREADS