date & time problem

I have 2 computers that won't keep time. One has win2k and the other win98.
I know keeping the cmos battery fresh affects this but are there other
possible things that could effect the time/date??

mike
2 answers Last reply
More about date time problem

    Windows Clock on Taskbar and in Date/Time Tool Loses Time [Q189706]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q189/7/06.asp

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "tuuf" <tuuf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 computers that won't keep time. One has win2k and the other
    >win98.
    > I know keeping the cmos battery fresh affects this but are there other
    > possible things that could effect the time/date??
    >
    > mike

    On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:11:05 -0700, "tuuf"
    <tuuf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have 2 computers that won't keep time. One has win2k and the other win98.
    >I know keeping the cmos battery fresh affects this but are there other
    >possible things that could effect the time/date??
    >
    >mike

    Mike,

    Programs, utilities and screensavers using timing routines will
    affect the system clock. Also a Norton feature that loads at boot.

    However, the CMOS clock should not lose time. If windows starts with
    the correct time but then changes, the CMOS should be ok and
    something is affecting the system clock. When booting fresh to the
    Command Prompt enter TIME then DATE. If that's not correct then it's
    the CMOS, providing the CMOS clock was set correctly.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Computers Microsoft Windows