date & time problem

I have 2 computers that won't keep time. One has win2k and the other win98.
I know keeping the cmos battery fresh affects this but are there other
possible things that could effect the time/date??

mike

Windows Clock on Taskbar and in Date/Time Tool Loses Time [Q189706]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q189/7/06.asp

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"tuuf" <tuuf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 computers that won't keep time. One has win2k and the other
>win98.
> I know keeping the cmos battery fresh affects this but are there other
> possible things that could effect the time/date??
>
> mike

On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:11:05 -0700, "tuuf"
<tuuf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have 2 computers that won't keep time. One has win2k and the other win98.
>I know keeping the cmos battery fresh affects this but are there other
>possible things that could effect the time/date??
>
>mike

Mike,

Programs, utilities and screensavers using timing routines will
affect the system clock. Also a Norton feature that loads at boot.

However, the CMOS clock should not lose time. If windows starts with
the correct time but then changes, the CMOS should be ok and
something is affecting the system clock. When booting fresh to the
Command Prompt enter TIME then DATE. If that's not correct then it's
the CMOS, providing the CMOS clock was set correctly.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/