Problem with reinstallation of Windows Script 5.6

While installing McAfee AntiVirus Software I got the following Internet
Explorer Script Error.
“An error occurred in the script on this page
Line 297
Char: 2
Error: Active X component can’t create object :�Scripting Dictionary�
Code: O
Do you want to continue running Scripts on this page
Yes No�

My operating system is Windows 98, 2nd Edition. Web browser IE 6

To try to resolve the above problem I have been endeavouring, without
success, to download (from Microsoft Download Centre) Windows Script 5.6 for
Windows 98.
When I click on the download button I am asked to select either to open the
download or save it to file but there is no place on that page on which a
selection can be made. I am told to click on the “Start Download� link if the
download has not already started. It hasn’t so I do so but nothing happens.
Any suggestions as to how I might achieve a successful download of Windows
Script 5.6 (ser56en.exe), or otherwise resolve the page error, would be
appreciated.
Thank You.

--
JJ.Mac

What happens when you try clicking this direct link to the download?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=90&p=&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=0a8a18f6-249c-4a72-bfcf-fc6af26dc390&genscs=0&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f4%2fc%2f9%2f4c9e63f1-617f-4c6d-8faf-c2868f670c1c%2fscr56en.exe

If that gives you trouble, try putting http://www.microsoft.com in the Trusted Zone
of IE:
In IE, click Tools menu> Internet Options> Security> Trusted Zone icon> Add Sites
button.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jj.mac" <jj.mac@discussions.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> While installing McAfee AntiVirus Software I got the following Internet
> Explorer Script Error.
> “An error occurred in the script on this page
> Line 297
> Char: 2
> Error: Active X component can’t create object :�Scripting Dictionary�
> Code: O
> Do you want to continue running Scripts on this page
> Yes No�
>
> My operating system is Windows 98, 2nd Edition. Web browser IE 6
>
> To try to resolve the above problem I have been endeavouring, without
> success, to download (from Microsoft Download Centre) Windows Script 5.6 for
> Windows 98.
> When I click on the download button I am asked to select either to open the
> download or save it to file but there is no place on that page on which a
> selection can be made. I am told to click on the “Start Download� link if the
> download has not already started. It hasn’t so I do so but nothing happens.
> Any suggestions as to how I might achieve a successful download of Windows
> Script 5.6 (ser56en.exe), or otherwise resolve the page error, would be
> appreciated.
> Thank You.
>
> --
> JJ.Mac

When you saw:
This download is available running genuine Microsoft Windows. Click Continue
in the section above to begin the short validation process. Once validated,
you will be returned to this page with specific instructions for obtaining
the download.
Did you validate or check the button to skip the validation and just go to
download?
It appears you have to check one or the other first.
I already have it but downloaded again to check the validation procedure.
--
mae

jj.mac wrote:

> To try to resolve the above problem I have been endeavouring, without
> success, to download (from Microsoft Download Centre) Windows Script 5.6 for
> Windows 98.
> When I click on the download button I am asked to select either to open the
> download or save it to file but there is no place on that page on which a
> selection can be made. I am told to click on the "Start Download� link if the
> download has not already started. It hasn't so I do so but nothing happens.
> Any suggestions as to how I might achieve a successful download of Windows
> Script 5.6 (ser56en.exe), or otherwise resolve the page error, would be
> appreciated.
> Thank You.

If you can't download it for whatever reason, Scr56en.cab (note the
'c'), digitally signed 2002-04-23, is part of the full Internet Explorer
6 Service Pack 1 (IE6SP1) software bundle that you may have on a CD you
got with a computer-magazine, or you might be able to borrow it from a
friend or borrow it at a library. You should be able to use that
cabinett-file to install Windows Script 5.6.

HTH

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Thanks Glen
I have tried what you suggested.
When I click on the direct link you provided I get a blank window with empty
address bar. When I tried to add http://www.microsoft.com to the trusted
zone I got a message "Sites added to this zone must use the https:// prefix."
So I added microsoft.com with the changed prefix. I also closed down zone
alarm but the download link still refuses to work.

"glee" wrote:

> What happens when you try clicking this direct link to the download?
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=90&p=&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=0a8a18f6-249c-4a72-bfcf-fc6af26dc390&genscs=0&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f4%2fc%2f9%2f4c9e63f1-617f-4c6d-8faf-c2868f670c1c%2fscr56en.exe
>
> If that gives you trouble, try putting http://www.microsoft.com in the Trusted Zone
> of IE:
> In IE, click Tools menu> Internet Options> Security> Trusted Zone icon> Add Sites
> button.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "jj.mac" <jj.mac@discussions.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > While installing McAfee AntiVirus Software I got the following Internet
> > Explorer Script Error.
> > “An error occurred in the script on this page
> > Line 297
> > Char: 2
> > Error: Active X component can’t create object :�Scripting Dictionary�
> > Code: O
> > Do you want to continue running Scripts on this page
> > Yes No�
> >
> > My operating system is Windows 98, 2nd Edition. Web browser IE 6
> >
> > To try to resolve the above problem I have been endeavouring, without
> > success, to download (from Microsoft Download Centre) Windows Script 5.6 for
> > Windows 98.
> > When I click on the download button I am asked to select either to open the
> > download or save it to file but there is no place on that page on which a
> > selection can be made. I am told to click on the “Start Download� link if the
> > download has not already started. It hasn’t so I do so but nothing happens.
> > Any suggestions as to how I might achieve a successful download of Windows
> > Script 5.6 (ser56en.exe), or otherwise resolve the page error, would be
> > appreciated.
> > Thank You.
> >
> > --
> > JJ.Mac

Try this instead jj.mac
I see you are posting from cdo, but if you can still see Glen's link as a
clickable link, or this link below, which is the Exact same thing just converted:
http://tinyurl.com/6dndx
...then just right click on it, and choose to "save target as"
What happens then?

Rick

Uncheck 'Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone'
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

jj.mac wrote:
> ...When I tried to add http://www.microsoft.com to the
> trusted zone I got a message "Sites added to this zone must use the
> https:// prefix."

Can I ask a related question here? What was the reason for installing
Windows Script 5.6 in the first place, and how many (and which ones) DLLs
does it update? (I was wondering if it was supposed to be a relatively
safe upgrade).

Rick you’re a genius. Right clicking on your link worked a treat. I have
reinstalled the script engine and my problem with McAfee VirusScan has been
solved.
Many Thanks for your help.
jj.mac

"Rick Chauvin" wrote:

> Try this instead jj.mac
> I see you are posting from cdo, but if you can still see Glen's link as a
> clickable link, or this link below, which is the Exact same thing just converted:
> http://tinyurl.com/6dndx
> ...then just right click on it, and choose to "save target as"
> What happens then?
>
> Rick
>

> jj.mac wrote:
> > Thanks Glen
> > I have tried what you suggested.
> > When I click on the direct link you provided I get a blank window with
> > empty address bar. When I tried to add http://www.microsoft.com to the
> > trusted zone I got a message "Sites added to this zone must use the
> > https:// prefix." So I added microsoft.com with the changed prefix. I
> > also closed down zone alarm but the download link still refuses to work.
> >
> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> >> What happens when you try clicking this direct link to the download?
> >>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=90&p=&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=0a8a18f6-249c-4a72-bfcf-fc6af26dc390&genscs=0&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f4%2fc%2f9%2f4c9e63f1-617f-4c6d-8faf-c2868f670c1c%2fscr56en.exe
> >>
> >> If that gives you trouble, try putting http://www.microsoft.com in the
> >> Trusted Zone of IE:
> >> In IE, click Tools menu> Internet Options> Security> Trusted Zone icon>
> >> Add Sites button.
> >> --
> >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >>

> >> "jj.mac" <jj.mac@discussions.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message

I have a lot of computer magazine disks which I searched through but I could
not find IE Service Pack1. I have however obtained a link from Rick Chauvin
which enabled me to download Windows Script 5.6. My problem has been solved.
Thank you for your contribution.

"... et al." wrote:

> jj.mac wrote:
>
> > To try to resolve the above problem I have been endeavouring, without
> > success, to download (from Microsoft Download Centre) Windows Script 5.6 for
> > Windows 98.
> > When I click on the download button I am asked to select either to open the
> > download or save it to file but there is no place on that page on which a
> > selection can be made. I am told to click on the “Start Download� link if the
> > download has not already started. It hasn’t so I do so but nothing happens.
> > Any suggestions as to how I might achieve a successful download of Windows
> > Script 5.6 (ser56en.exe), or otherwise resolve the page error, would be
> > appreciated.
> > Thank You.
>
> If you can't download it for whatever reason, Scr56en.cab (note the
> 'c'), digitally signed 2002-04-23, is part of the full Internet Explorer
> 6 Service Pack 1 (IE6SP1) software bundle that you may have on a CD you
> got with a computer-magazine, or you might be able to borrow it from a
> friend or borrow it at a library. You should be able to use that
> cabinett-file to install Windows Script 5.6.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Please followup in newsgroup.
> E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

A link provided by Rick Chauvin got over the problem without making further
changes to the Security settings. Anyhow thanks for your help.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Uncheck 'Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone'
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> jj.mac wrote:
> > ...When I tried to add http://www.microsoft.com to the
> > trusted zone I got a message "Sites added to this zone must use the
> > https:// prefix."

I needed Windows Script 5.6 to register McAfee VirusScan program on my
computer and receive “updates�. How many and which DLLS does it update?
I have absolutely no idea. You would need to ask a geek that question.

"Bill in Co." wrote:

> Can I ask a related question here? What was the reason for installing
> Windows Script 5.6 in the first place, and how many (and which ones) DLLs
> does it update? (I was wondering if it was supposed to be a relatively
> safe upgrade).

Mae I actually did complete the validation process but was unable to download
the script engine. I also tried "Skipping the validation process" and still
could not download.

"mae" wrote:

> When you saw:
> This download is available running genuine Microsoft Windows. Click Continue
> in the section above to begin the short validation process. Once validated,
> you will be returned to this page with specific instructions for obtaining
> the download.
> Did you validate or check the button to skip the validation and just go to
> download?
> It appears you have to check one or the other first.
> I already have it but downloaded again to check the validation procedure.
> --
> mae
>
> "jj.mac" <jj.mac@discussions.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> | While installing McAfee AntiVirus Software I got the following Internet
> | Explorer Script Error.
> | “An error occurred in the script on this page
> | Line 297
> | Char: 2
> | Error: Active X component can’t create object :�Scripting Dictionary�
> | Code: O
> | Do you want to continue running Scripts on this page
> | Yes No�
> |
> | My operating system is Windows 98, 2nd Edition. Web browser IE 6
> |
> | To try to resolve the above problem I have been endeavouring, without
> | success, to download (from Microsoft Download Centre) Windows Script 5.6
> for
> | Windows 98.
> | When I click on the download button I am asked to select either to open
> the
> | download or save it to file but there is no place on that page on which a
> | selection can be made. I am told to click on the “Start Download� link if
> the
> | download has not already started. It hasn’t so I do so but nothing
> happens.
> | Any suggestions as to how I might achieve a successful download of Windows
> | Script 5.6 (ser56en.exe), or otherwise resolve the page error, would be
> | appreciated.
> | Thank You.
> |
> | --
> | JJ.Mac

There you go. Actually, you should have also been able to get it by right-clicking
that long link I gave you....the answer apparently is that you needed to right-click
*whatever* link you used. Glad that worked for you (good catch, Rick!)....but you
should not *have to* do that to download with IE, so there is something amiss
somewhere.
--

> Rick you’re a genius. Right clicking on your link worked a treat. I have
> reinstalled the script engine and my problem with McAfee VirusScan has been
> solved.
> Many Thanks for your help.
> jj.mac
>
> "Rick Chauvin" wrote:
>
> > Try this instead jj.mac
> > I see you are posting from cdo, but if you can still see Glen's link as a
> > clickable link, or this link below, which is the Exact same thing just
converted:
> > http://tinyurl.com/6dndx
> > ...then just right click on it, and choose to "save target as"
> > What happens then?
> >
> > Rick
> >

> > jj.mac wrote:
> > > Thanks Glen
> > > I have tried what you suggested.
> > > When I click on the direct link you provided I get a blank window with
> > > empty address bar. When I tried to add http://www.microsoft.com to the
> > > trusted zone I got a message "Sites added to this zone must use the
> > > https:// prefix." So I added microsoft.com with the changed prefix. I
> > > also closed down zone alarm but the download link still refuses to work.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=90&p=&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=0a8a18f6-249c-4a72-bfcf-fc6af26dc390&genscs=0&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload
..microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f4%2fc%2f9%2f4c9e63f1-617f-4c6d-8faf-c2868f670c1c%2fscr56
en.exe

lee

Bill in Co. wrote:
> Can I ask a related question here? What was the reason for
installing
> Windows Script 5.6 in the first place, and how many (and which ones)
DLLs
> does it update? (I was wondering if it was supposed to be a
relatively
> safe upgrade).

One very good reason to install 5.6 Scripting package is to fix current
problems like the OP had where a scripting error was occuring.

CSCRIPT EXE
DISPEX DLL
JSCRIPT DLL
SCROBJ DLL
SCRRUN DLL
VBSCRIPT DLL
WSCRIPT EXE
WSCRIPT HLP
WSHCON DLL
WSHEXT DLL
WSHOM OCX

It would update all the above files I would assume. That would depend
on what have on board of course, but the neat thing about this download
is that these files would also be refreshed if running the download
again - thus you have a convenient script fixer on hand. Note that it
does both Visual Basic Scripting and JavaScript which for some reason
now is referred to by the catch phrase of Jscript. JavaScript is NOT
the same thing as Java, just FYI.

It is very safe and includes update 814078 such that the update is no
longer shown to be needed if the current 5.6 Scripting Host package is
installed.

Why MS neglects to have this package at Windows Update site can only be
hung on the hook of being non-critical in nature to start with. I
suspect that most casual users are then not even aware of it's
existance. I've been running and recommending it for a long time now
with my ie 5.50 SP2 even though it began it's existance with ie 6.

There is a documentation package available at this url.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

OK, thanks for the info, Lee.

I assume there is no uninstall (just in the remote case it created ANY
idiosynchrasies). I didn't see it mentioned it that article.

Lee wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> Can I ask a related question here? What was the reason for installing
>> Windows Script 5.6 in the first place, and how many (and which ones) DLLs
>> does it update? (I was wondering if it was supposed to be a relatively
>> safe upgrade).
>
> One very good reason to install 5.6 Scripting package is to fix current
> problems like the OP had where a scripting error was occuring.
>
> CSCRIPT EXE
> DISPEX DLL
> JSCRIPT DLL
> SCROBJ DLL
> SCRRUN DLL
> VBSCRIPT DLL
> WSCRIPT EXE
> WSCRIPT HLP
> WSHCON DLL
> WSHEXT DLL
> WSHOM OCX
>
> It would update all the above files I would assume. That would depend
> on what have on board of course, but the neat thing about this download
> is that these files would also be refreshed if running the download
> again - thus you have a convenient script fixer on hand. Note that it
> does both Visual Basic Scripting and JavaScript which for some reason
> now is referred to by the catch phrase of Jscript. JavaScript is NOT
> the same thing as Java, just FYI.
>
> It is very safe and includes update 814078 such that the update is no
> longer shown to be needed if the current 5.6 Scripting Host package is
> installed.
>
> Why MS neglects to have this package at Windows Update site can only be
> hung on the hook of being non-critical in nature to start with. I
> suspect that most casual users are then not even aware of it's
> existence. I've been running and recommending it for a long time now
> with my ie 5.50 SP2 even though it began it's existence with ie 6.
>
> There is a documentation package available at this url.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

hank

Thanks it took awhile to get back to the machine. Download worked and
problem solved. That sure was a long URL address

Thanks again

On Fri, 6 May 2005 11:34:12 -0600, "Bill in Co."
<not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote:

>OK, thanks for the info, Lee.
>
>I assume there is no uninstall (just in the remote case it created ANY
>idiosynchrasies). I didn't see it mentioned it that article.
>
>Lee wrote:
>> Bill in Co. wrote:
>>> Can I ask a related question here? What was the reason for installing
>>> Windows Script 5.6 in the first place, and how many (and which ones) DLLs
>>> does it update? (I was wondering if it was supposed to be a relatively
>>> safe upgrade).
>>
>> One very good reason to install 5.6 Scripting package is to fix current
>> problems like the OP had where a scripting error was occuring.
>>
>> CSCRIPT EXE
>> DISPEX DLL
>> JSCRIPT DLL
>> SCROBJ DLL
>> SCRRUN DLL
>> VBSCRIPT DLL
>> WSCRIPT EXE
>> WSCRIPT HLP
>> WSHCON DLL
>> WSHEXT DLL
>> WSHOM OCX
>>
>> It would update all the above files I would assume. That would depend
>> on what have on board of course, but the neat thing about this download
>> is that these files would also be refreshed if running the download
>> again - thus you have a convenient script fixer on hand. Note that it
>> does both Visual Basic Scripting and JavaScript which for some reason
>> now is referred to by the catch phrase of Jscript. JavaScript is NOT
>> the same thing as Java, just FYI.
>>
>> It is very safe and includes update 814078 such that the update is no
>> longer shown to be needed if the current 5.6 Scripting Host package is
>> installed.
>>
>> Why MS neglects to have this package at Windows Update site can only be
>> hung on the hook of being non-critical in nature to start with. I
>> suspect that most casual users are then not even aware of it's
>> existence. I've been running and recommending it for a long time now
>> with my ie 5.50 SP2 even though it began it's existence with ie 6.
>>
>> There is a documentation package available at this url.
>>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank